• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. D. Guy

Did a translation of the wedding stuff here, since that seems to be what people were most interested in:

Might do the rest of the Kobayashi interview later.
Like, woah! And this is from the perspective of their respective voice actors, right?

I know this is for funsies, but dang... It feels like they're highballing Ash some and really lowballing Goh. (And lowkey throwing Goh under the bus, too.)

Honestly, in my opinion, Gary is the only one I could see marrying and starting a traditional family out of his own explicit volition. Furthermore, Gary's the one I see doing it the fastest. While they say they feel Ash would be the first to get married because he is so straightforward, I feel Ash would be dead-last to get married, if he got married at all. For Goh, he's got his hang-ups, but he's more put together than this for-funsies thing seems to imply. Not only could I see Goh choose to get married before Ash, I could easily see him coming to clear terms with what type of relationship he'd want and whether or not he'd see marriage as being what he wants within those relationships. Like Ash, I can easily see Goh not getting married at all. while still maintaining strong, positive and healthy relationships with people and partners.

If Gary got married, he'd totes want to be in charge of the whole wedding, top to bottom. Ash, on the other hand, would basically be at the whims of his partner as to what kind of wedding they'd have, without much functional input (or real desire) from Ash. Goh's the one I honestly see preferring a small and close, intimate affair in such a scenario.

Finally, I can't see any of these 3 boys growing up to conform to anything akin to a house-husband. Any partners they take would best serve themselves and their relationship to be able and willing to keep up with the boys on the go. (Yes, even Gary, who feels the most likely to trend traditional.) I agree that Ash would make a good dad/father-figure, but that's ultimately true for all 3 of them once they're hypothetically grown.

Morax

King of heroes
Like, woah! And this is from the perspective of their respective voice actors, right?

I know this is for funsies, but dang... It feels like they're highballing Ash some and really lowballing Goh. (And lowkey throwing Goh under the bus, too.)

Honestly, in my opinion, Gary is the only one I could see marrying and starting a traditional family out of his own explicit volition. Furthermore, Gary's the one I see doing it the fastest. While they say they feel Ash would be the first to get married because he is so straightforward, I feel Ash would be dead-last to get married, if he got married at all. For Goh, he's got his hang-ups, but he's more put together than this for-funsies thing seems to imply. Not only could I see Goh choose to get married before Ash, I could easily see him coming to clear terms with what type of relationship he'd want and whether or not he'd see marriage as being what he wants within those relationships. Like Ash, I can easily see Goh not getting married at all. while still maintaining strong, positive and healthy relationships with people and partners.

If Gary got married, he'd totes want to be in charge of the whole wedding, top to bottom. Ash, on the other hand, would basically be at the whims of his partner as to what kind of wedding they'd have, without much functional input (or real desire) from Ash. Goh's the one I honestly see preferring a small and close, intimate affair in such a scenario.

Finally, I can't see any of these 3 boys growing up to conform to anything akin to a house-husband. Any partners they take would best serve themselves and their relationship to be able and willing to keep up with the boys on the go. (Yes, even Gary, who feels the most likely to trend traditional.) I agree that Ash would make a good dad/father-figure, but that's ultimately true for all 3 of them once they're hypothetically grown.
The way i see it Ash and Luffy are one and the same. Neither would be willing to tie themselves down to relationships, i doubt they'd ever fall in love at all. Goku only got married because toriyama wanted new characters. At no point in dragon ball was goku ever in "love" with chi-chi.

Last edited:

J. D. Guy

I mean the only returning characters so far otherwise have been the Alola guys and Iris so I don't think there's any reason to doubt anime exclusives from returning.
Well no, that's the not quite the case. Regardless of role, we've also seen Lance, a Flashback with Surge, Korrina, Gurkin (who's another Gary/Delia situation), Chuck, and now Drayden and a Flashback with Cilan.

All of them so far have been game characters or direct analogues/ersatzes of game characters.

The way i see it Ash and Luffy are one and the same. Neither would be willing to tie themselves down to relationships, i doubt they'd ever fall in love at all. Goku only got married because toriyama wanted new characters. At no point in dragon ball was goku ever in "love" with chi-chi.

I can see Ash falling in love, but not in any of the traditionally assumed tenants of falling in love, including marriage and things like that.

I agree that Goku's marriage was done more out of convenience and adhering to norms and traditions, rather than what would make sense for Goku's character.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I didn't like it very much XD
I can understand why. Hiro technically never lost on-screen (even if Luca kind of gave away the victory in the first part), Mimori's focus episodes tended to be overly repetitive, Mauro's pointless (and his foundness of seeing people suffer was dropped midway in favor of another "daddy issues"), Kai and Kazuki are just walking background, etc.

Still, I've found it a decent show. I kind called Leon (the blondie, not the Charizard dude) being a villain, then as we went on, I changed my mind and thought it was a red herring just for it to really happen lol
This is so clueless. Raihan and Leon are very very popular, their merch does extremely well and gets sold out quickly and the reason why they got 1st and 2nd place is because their fans voted for them. Even if their anime counterpart have little screentime people still voted for them because their are Leon and Raihan.
Wasn't that poll from a women-focused magazine, which means they're going to focus on actual men and not children?
A fujo magazine to be precise
Yeah, that's what it was. Fujoishi supports their favorites with what really matters: money.

Honestly, don't see much the appeal of Raihan though.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I don't see a point to Ash vs. Gladion/Kiawe.

We know he'll crush them. At least vs. Iris there was some precedent where Ash defeated Ash. Iris at least had some where to go (going off the games), but what kind of progression have Gladion and Kiawe made in the games? Gladion and Lillie will reappear (I'm speculating, but it would be a huge open end if they don't), but it will be a storybased episode and a battle vs. Gladion would be inappropriate.

Pikachu111213

Traveler

We know he'll crush them. At least vs. Iris there was some precedent where Ash defeated Ash. Iris at least had some where to go (going off the games), but what kind of progression have Gladion and Kiawe made in the games? Gladion and Lillie will reappear (I'm speculating, but it would be a huge open end if they don't), but it will be a storybased episode and a battle vs. Gladion would be inappropriate.
Kiawe could come back as a trial captain, and one training under Olivia to be a kahuna. And Gladion is a tough opponent. Ash didn’t exactly “crush” him in the league.

Decidueye23

Honestly while sure they might have powered up or held back before, except for the "returning" part of their characters none of these characters who are returning actually excite me other than Iris atleast in terms of PWC. Sure its cool to see korrina but Ash already beat her Mega Lucario so the battle wasnt particularly exciting. I hope that changes. Atleast for me the most interesting Ash battles were with Rinto Bea and Visquez.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Kiawe could come back as a trial captain, and one training under Olivia to be a kahuna. And Gladion is a tough opponent. Ash didn’t exactly “crush” him in the league.

What would've happened if it was a full battle? Oh right, Gladion only has 4 pokémon. Sure, that could change during a rematch. Ash used what he could vs. Gladion in the Alola League. If Ash can use reserves, he can whipe the ground with him.

J. D. Guy

Kai and Kazuki are just walking background
I only tangentially followed the earliest episodes, but Kazuki was legit endearing and cool, more so the more I got to know him in the little time I did. It would have sucked if he never was allowed to self-actualize to anything. Shows like these tend to pull this on these types of characters, where the bestest big brother and bestest best friend to the lead protagonist (and everybody else, because they're just that much of a unironic good guy) never gets rewarded by being allowed to soak in glory and self-actualize protagonist-style. (That he's the only Brown boy on the cast and is made to suffer this also doesn't escape my notice.) And Kai? Why we always gotta do that to our smart and studious kids (who ain't smarmy or toxic jerk characters)? Definitely gives me GX Anime Bastion Misawa flashbacks. (I hope it wasn't that bad.)

Even so, one has to wonder if Rica is even okay with how much Ash seems shafted/sidelined in this series.
I doubt she's the type of individual who would fall into believing the types of people who create malicious narratives, ala Goh haters/etc. in the West, to fabricate falsehoods, especially since those narratives aren't actually true.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Raihan and Leon were so One-dimensional in the game lol. One's main shtick was "I WILL DEFEAT YOU LEON and OOH LETS TAKE A SELFIE" while the other's was "UNBEATABLE CHARIZARD and I GET LOST EASILY". Really infuriating when these shticks become their entire character and any other complexity they may have is locked behind in league cards but not in the narrative. For all its faults i like the anime versions better because Leon and Raihan just dont revolve around that, the former is shown to be quite serious when it needs to be, actually taking on Rose, gauging and challenging Ash and allowing him to battle wild Dynamaxed mons with him, etc. Meanwhile Raihan atleast had that womaniser moment where he wanted to ask Sonia on a date. All in all, im glad their anime appearances dont only rely on their shticks
I think the same but they probably appeal to fujoishis because of a) their looks and b) the fact they are rivals. For some reason, they love making rivals into lovers in their fanfics lol
I only tangentially followed the earliest episodes, but Kazuki was legit endearing and cool, more so the more I got to know him in the little time I did. It would have sucked if he never was allowed to self-actualize to anything. Shows like these tend to pull this on these types of characters, where the bestest big brother and bestest best friend to the lead protagonist (and everybody else, because they're just that much of a unironic good guy) never gets rewarded by being allowed to soak in glory and self-actualize protagonist-style. (That he's the only Brown boy on the cast and is made to suffer this also doesn't escape my notice.) And Kai? Why we always gotta do that to our smart and studious kids (who ain't smarmy or toxic jerk characters)? Definitely gives me GX Anime Bastion Misawa flashbacks. (I hope it wasn't that bad.)
Well, about that

Hiro flat out says Luca is his best friend in the final episode*. And Kazuki was watching it lol

I can give more context via PM or VM, if you'd like

EDIT:

*but to be honest, I think he said "親友" ("shinyu") which means close friend but tends to be translated as "best friend". It's been a while and I don't have the episode in handy but I think he either said just that or "最高の親友" (greatest friend which kinds of makes it worse lol)

EDIT2: Scratch all that. Thanks to Google, I found it. He actually says ""最高の仲間" (saikou no nakama) which kind of works being translated as "best friend" in that context so, yeah, it was that bad.

As for Kai, he got a lot better as time went on. Though people who wants everyone in the main cast to have a dynamic will be dissapointed.

Last edited:

Exactly, Ash is a thousand times stronger than them, Ash needs better rivals

Status
Not open for further replies.