• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
My entire comment was that he earned the right to challenge trial missions by completing the A. Ninetales mission, making him eligible to compete in the trial missions. Oak recommended him coz he saw he caught Suicune. Whether he deserves Suicune or not is another matter (considering he bonded with it and earned its respect), it's everything in the Gary episode and project mew episode WASNT handed to him.
I'll start with the bolded point. The series has had many protagonists who bonded with and earned the respect of Legendaries (and that too, in my opinion, to a much greater extent) but Goh is the only one to have caught one. Why now, and why not then? And if you say that it's because the anime has changed, then I guess I'll wait and see if the writers decide to extend this 'change' to other characters and give Dawn a Cresselia in the next episode.

Either way, I think it's cheap for Goh to catch a Pokémon that is so way above his current experience level just because he 'earned its respect'. Even in the games, these things are late-game rewards; it shouldn't happen in the fifty-third episode, especially when even Ash (the protagonist of the series for nearly a quarter of a century) hasn't caught one yet.

And when you say stuff like 'Goh earned everything in the Project Mew episode', you miss the fact that him catching Suicune was a part of why he was recommended in the first place, which means the reason he got a foot in the door was because of a handout. It feels incredibly cheap, and it doesn't really fit the rest of the anime. Heck, it's not like mocking characters for surviving on handouts is something new; the charity Ash got in Kanto more than two decades ago still affects his reputation to this day, even though he's spent a long time making up for it by progressing as a trainer and losing out on well-deserved victories because of bad writing choices. I saw that you also mentioned Scott and the Battle Frontier, conveniently leaving out the fact that Ash earned that invitation by having a great match against an Elite Four member using experience and techniques which took him years to refine and develop. It feels earned because we've seen Ash work for it.

I think if Goh had moments like other characters, where he was shown to actually work hard for his goal and had some incredibly memorable failures to balance out his moments of triumph, people would root for him a lot more. As it stands though, his reputation as a character who can only progress if the writers just give him stuff isn't going to change any time soon, if ever.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Their starters didn’t prevent them from going to another season. They easily could’ve have them take a relative backseat for a newer starter or promotional Pokémon if they wanted to use them. The anime has always prioritized the marketing first and foremost so this only proves my point. I don’t know why you’re making this a “bet” of which prediction is right as I continuously say that I don’t believe Cinderace is a sign for Go staying or not and that I don’t have a solid stance on if he’s going to stay for the next generation. You could’ve just left this at agree to disagree
Important to remember, Ash kept his kanto starters during Johto. Bulbasaur spent a loooong time before being sent to the lab to rot take care of stuff
I like Goh...
Me too

Blood Red

【推しの子】
None of those protagonists wanted to catch a legendary mon. And circumstances were different, none of them thought to catch it to protect the mon, Goh did and since he had caught it and earned its respect, Suicune was willing to stay with him while still roaming around the world doing its job.
Again, Goh catching Suicune isnt related to his Project Mew achievement, its just something that caught Oak's eye and made him tell Goh about Project Mew and their whole shtick. It was Goh himself who participated in project mew, and earned the right to challenge trial missions in ep71, thats definitely earned and Oak reccomending him after seeing he has a freaking legendary isnt a handout or undeserved,
So you're saying that Goh deserves a Suicune because he's the only protagonist in the anime's history who was incapable of protecting a Legendary Pokémon without capturing it? The idea that Suicune even agreed to go with him stinks of bad writing; it was a situation contrived just so the writers could make it so Goh could catch a Legendary, and I'm not gonna act like he deserved it. Heck, Dawn might be in a somewhat similar situation in the next episode, so let's see if the writers deem it appropriate to let her do the same thing Goh did.

And the fact that you keep bringing up Suicune as the reason Oak recommended Project Mew to him doesn't do much to debunk the idea that Goh got into Project Mew based on what some consider an unearned and undeserved handout.

karanova-1

Mewtwo3214
Today's episode with darkrai and cresselia with dawn was great it's good to see this is the first time we saw chloe has travelled alone without the boys it was a good change and her interaction with dawn was exciting with piplup and eevee . Also I am happy that her eevee can used the move copycat as I enjoyed the episode fully and yes one more thing it was nice that ash recalled meeting with darkrai and man that was priceless when goh was surprised

Last edited:

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
When we getting a new opening about new Ash's Pokémon will come up?

You asking this question repeatedly isn't going to make it happen any faster.

We don't know. And we're not going to know until they announce it. Please be patience.

Last edited:

desdar300

Important to remember, Ash kept his kanto starters during Johto. Bulbasaur spent a loooong time before being sent to the lab to rot take care of stuff

Me too
Well the reason for that was because originally gold and silver was going to be called Red and Green 2.
Nobody at the time knew what a sequel for a Pokemon game with look like and the anime was originally supposed to end after a decent amount of episodes like Digimon Adventure back in the 90s.
Them sticking around so long was because of all of that and Jotho being directly connected to Kanto.
However since the end of generation 2 they have constantly phased out his older team in favor of promoting a new one.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
Or he starts to have more battles on screen with his non-pikachu mons or new captures or start to bring his reserves.

But, it won't happen so soon, specially the reserves part. Personally, Ash is in need of his own episode or an episode to bond with his team. Dang, pikachu had one origin episode and one solo episode! Ash still need something to himself.

PAndrews

Who is comparing Suicune to BF? My whole main point is that Goh didnt get handed anything in the Gary episode coz Oak recommending him to go challenge Project Mew isnt a handout and a pointless thing to complain about. Goh still earned a spot himself in ep71. He literally was told about an event and went and participated in it and in ep 71 earned his right to challenge trial missions. Saying its a handout coz Oak told him Project Mew exists after seeing Suicune and his dream of catching Mew is just untrue imo. He is still the one who earned the right to challenge the trial missions in ep 71, and still has a looong way to go.
As for whether or not he was an underdog or not in this episode, lets just agree to disagree coz to me its clear as day that episode set him up as an underdog followed up with 71 and Tsurugi where he still overcame the challenge
Goh uses strategies in pretty much every battle he does. From his simple strategy of using type advantages in ep7 to him helping Scorbunny learn ember and defeat TR to him defeating flygon, battling zapdos, battling mewtwo in team up with Ash, battling Oleanna, heck even trivial battles like Arctozolt he applies strategy to calm and defeat it until Ash came running in with dracovish. Since the start hes always been analytical

None of those protagonists wanted to catch a legendary mon. And circumstances were different, none of them thought to catch it to protect the mon, Goh did and since he had caught it and earned its respect, Suicune was willing to stay with him while still roaming around the world doing its job.
Again, Goh catching Suicune isnt related to his Project Mew achievement, its just something that caught Oak's eye and made him tell Goh about Project Mew and their whole shtick. It was Goh himself who participated in project mew, and earned the right to challenge trial missions in ep71, thats definitely earned and Oak reccomending him after seeing he has a freaking legendary isnt a handout or undeserved,
He actually was given a handout though
The entire project Mew episode was Goh basically being deadweight and failing. He failed each capture, got distracted from searching for Ash's Infernape to go Pidgeotto hunting, needed saving from an Onix and needed saving from Moltress by Pikachu & Electrivire and even failed to properly record Moltress. He was literally portrayed as a fumbling rookie compared to Gary for the entire episode.

And then there is the fact that the only reason Oak recommended him and the only reason he was offered the opportunity to challenge those trials was because he had caught Suicune (no Suicune means he would have not been offered the chance), which in turn was a handout (he literally poached it away from the poachers). So yes, since Suicune was an undeserved Pokemon (again, he stole it away from poachers who had legitimately beat it and had the right to capture it) him being rewarded by Oak for having it is in turn als undeserved.

In general giving any of them a powerhouse Pokemon via "earn its respect" instead of a proper battle or capture is a handout (just like Iris Dragonite or Dawn's Togekiss were literally given to them), especially if it involves them being given a Pokemon much stronger then their current Pokemon as a shortcut (at least they fixed the Iris one by having her actually evolve Axew now instead of just being given a fully evolved dragon as a shortut to her dragon master goal). Goh might have legitimately passed the first trial but that doesn't negate the fact he didn't actually earn the right to challenge it in the first place since it was granted to him based on a handout and not skill or accomplishments. Claiming he earned this is like claiming Iris earned those wins back in the tournament after she was given a Dragonite that completely ignored and did its own thing.

PAndrews

To be fair, that was because the writers hadn't figured out how to move to the next generation yet, so they had Ash slowly release his Kanto team, or send them away on missions before coming up with the "fresh start" approach from Hoen onwards since they realized him keeping the previous gen took away screentime and development for his new team

Just imagine if they hadn't and each gen would spend the first quarter finding ways to get rid of the previous gens team (each regional bird would have been abandoned in the woods around Pallet Town, each water type becoming a fire fighter, each fire type getting its own island and each grass type becoming a warden for Oak :S)

desdar300

Yeah as I stated a couple of post up, the future of Pokemon was largely on certain until Nintendo saw how much of a finger it was on the Gameboy.
Then a sequel was commissioned under the code name red and blue two what slowly but surely became gold and silver.
The anime team were essentially forced to extend the life of the show Beyond its initial expiration date which is why the Generation 1 team stuck around that and gold and silver being directly connected to its predecessor.
Ever since the end of Johto all of the new Pokemon have been phased out in favor of a current team that aligned with the current Main Series games.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Yeah as I stated a couple of post up, the future of Pokemon was largely on certain until Nintendo saw how much of a finger it was on the Gameboy.
Then a sequel was commissioned under the code name red and blue two what slowly but surely became gold and silver.
The anime team were essentially forced to extend the life of the show Beyond its initial expiration date which is why the Generation 1 team stuck around that and gold and silver being directly connected to its predecessor.
Ever since the end of Johto all of the new Pokemon have been phased out in favor of a current team that aligned with the current Main Series games.
Until now, as the anime completely abandoned the idea of focusing exclusively on the newest generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.