• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
After seeing the trailer, I’m kind of getting the feeling that Pichu we’ve been seeing is actually Pikachu before it evolved & we’ll see what its life was like before meeting Ash
It is, P2019's first episode title has been revealed already
Guys, the're not rebooting the series, was pretty clear after SM 145

Pikachu will loose against Scorbunny like always do, that this time Scorbunny speed will be a factor.
That'd be even worse tbh, Pikachu's speed is one of his biggest defining traits in battle

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
I think I found out why I like the PM style, it’s just the SM style with a box of crisp dumped on it. SM but crispier with some adjustments, of course I don’t expect the animation to consistently look that sleek and art that pretty but these first few episode are gonna swell to look at before it tapers off.
At the first glance, I'd swear Go was Mallow's twin brother. Strange they chose an androgynous look to him, but it doesn't bother..
I’m glad, it’s something design wise that sets him apart from past male companions. Plus I like that he isn’t traditionally “attractive” in a marketable sense, I’m not here for badass action hero or bishounen generic male or spineless male lead #49527 recycled in every anime these days. I feel like the staff are ballsy enough after SM to actually mess around with some stuff so I like the fact they offered a more androgynous male as Satoshi’s co-lead.

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Im sorry but if Pikachu loses to scorbunny there would be no excuse it would be bs. I can accept him being a bit damaged by him and all but losing? That would be stupid and im so glad SM did nothing like that. People criticize the snivy thing for a reason.

Animac

But seriously why is people assuming Pikachu will lose agains Scorbunny? it can happen but saying it would be "As always" is plain false. In XY he fought against bunnelby and he was doing pretty well. In SM he kicked T.S. Grunts butts and then fought against Tapu Koko.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
But seriously why is people assuming Pikachu will lose agains Scorbunny? it can happen but saying it would be "As always" is plain false. In XY he fought against bunnelby and he was doing pretty well. In SM he kicked T.S. Grunts butts and then fought against Tapu Koko.
I mean, if Pikachu wins, that's great. But yeah, we're discussing 'what if' Pikachu loses.

Though you're right that it's too early to make guesses about that.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
This reboot talk..... again? Seriously? I thought last week's episode ended this stupid discussion once and for all. Ash wants to see the Pokemon world and is heading back to Pallet Town. Why would it be a reboot?

I really hope those Kanto starters aren't going to be in the lab the entire series.... that's pretty much the only negative thing I have to say. I'm tired of them, and if they want to have a Bulbasaur and Squirtle around? Then have Ash transfer his Pokemon to THIS lab until the saga ends. Then you've got a Bulbasaur and a Squirtle without it being forced! Everyone loves Ash's Bulbasaur and Squirtle!

I'm excited that one of my favorite Galar Pokemon is appearing right off the bat, Corviknight! And Oak in the first episode! Glad to see him

And Ash definitely looks way better than his SM counterpart, the design actually fits this time. I'm curious how Go will get Scorbunny, and I hope I don't need to wait until episode 20 for Ash to get the starter I like this time...

Zoruagible

I hope they avoid making Pikachu lose. It's really distasteful when Pikachu goes from beating a legendary to losing to something lame like a level 5 Snivy, or worse.... a Surskit that should have been roasted the second Pikachu stepped onto the battlefield.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I guess we can rule out Ash’s Kanto starters showing up. The Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charmander are the same ones on the poster and looks like Ash befriends them.

Kind of sad for those of us who wanted to see Ash’s Kanto starters again instead of a new bulbasaur and Squirtle especially

I wouldn't exactly be sure since the new poster shows Squirtle Bulbasaur and a Charizard outside oaks lab. Hmmmm

ShadowForce720

We’re not going to have two sets of Bulbasaur/Squirtle around at the same time. I don’t know about the Charizard but we see Ash befriending the new Kanto starters in the preview

To be fair though it's not like that new Bulbasaur and Squirtle will be in every episode, so they could easily have Ash's Bulbasaur and Squirtle return for a battle or something.

ShadowForce720

They might be, remember it’s to introduce the starters to new kids even if Go doesn’t get any kanto starters. Seems like they’ll stick around the Vermilion lab.

Even if they were, Ash and Go, are going to be traveling through the other regions as well, so it's not like it would be that hard to get moments where you just see Ash use his Bulbasaur and Squirtle. Also they could the younger Squirtle and Bulbasaur look up to Ash's Bulbasaur and Squirtle. At the end of the day if Ash's Bulbasaur and Squirtle are going to show up again then they will regardless of whether or not these young Bulbasaur and Squirtle stick around.

ShadowForce720

Well my point was they’re not going to have any reason to showcase Ash’s starters if they show these new ones. It’s the same reason Ash’s Charizard hasn’t appeared in two gens because they shows off Alan’s and Kiawe’s instead.

And in XY they had Tierno’s trio show off the Kanto starters. All those kanto pokes on the posters are likely these new starters.

Not really, the only reason they need for Ash's Bulbasaur and Squirtle to show up again is the fact that they are Ash's pokemon and they want to show him using them again. Also may I remind you that during Battle Frontier May had a Squirtle with her on the main cast and yet that didn't stop Ash from bring his Squirtle back to fight against Brandon, and even though May had a Bulbasaur while Ash was trying to get all the gym badges to enter the Hoenn league that didn't stop him from having his Bulbasaur to come back and meet her Bulbasaur or from him using it in Battle Frontier.

So again there being a younger Bulbasaur and Squirtle here as well as a Charmander doesn't prevent Ash from bring back or using his Bulbsaur, Squirtle, and Charizard. Also during SM Kukui had a Incineroar that showed up multiple times and even though he showed it off that didn't prevent Ash's Torracat from evolving into a Incineroar.

So basically it doesn't matter we see a young Bulbasaur, Squirtle and a Charmander, because that has no impact on whether we see Ash's Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charizard.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
I’m honestly not all that interested in Pikachu’s backstory like that nor more flashbacks of Satoshi and his first meeting but I can see why they feel the need to do this with this series supposedly encompassing all regions and as a “catch-up” for new viewers. It’s just the self-contained and long-running nature of Pokemon anime.

Also I just realized with Gou being from Kuchiba City that means technically we don’t have one actual native Galar character, I think that more or less sinks it in for me that this saga clearly:

1.) Is probably ignoring the games and doing its own thing.

2.) We can expect Kanto remaining in focus mainly.

3.) No badge quest since Satoshi won his league already and they’ll just focus on region-hopping with SM’s latest episode talking about how he should “see the world.”

I do feel Galar is getting shortchanged a bit, that’s my only complaint thus far.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
But at least talking about Kanto starters, we saw Ash's Bulbasaur and the Squirtle Gang recently already in SM...

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
I think Ash's goal will be like Serena or maybe May, have no specific goal and just travel around until a certain point of the saga

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
We’re not going to have two sets of Bulbasaur/Squirtle around at the same time. I don’t know about the Charizard but we see Ash befriending the new Kanto starters in the preview

First of all we won't be having two sets of starters coz I don't think these starters are anything beyond than just being showcased for this episode in the start to Go who probably doesn't pick any of them. They're not gonna be part of the main cast or anything so ash Bulbasaur and Squirtle can easily return or cameo for some episodes. Plus Mays Squirtle and Bulbasaur exist. Plus who else would those Pokemon be. A Squirtle Bulbasaur and Charizard? C'mon now. Even if they were part of the main cast for any absurd region how does that stop Ash's starters appearing for some episodes

Zoruagible

I’m honestly not all that interested in Pikachu’s backstory like that nor more flashbacks of Satoshi and his first meeting but I can see why they feel the need to do this with this series supposedly encompassing all regions and as a “catch-up” for new viewers. It’s just the self-contained and long-running nature of Pokemon anime.

Also I just realized with Gou being from Kuchiba City that means technically we don’t have one actual native Galar character, I think that more or less sinks it in for me that this saga clearly:

1.) Is probably ignoring the games and doing its own thing.

2.) We can expect Kanto remaining in focus mainly.

3.) No badge quest since Satoshi won his league already and they’ll just focus on region-hopping with SM’s latest episode talking about how he should “see the world.”

I do feel Galar is getting shortchanged a bit, that’s my only complaint thus far.

I have to agree on the Pikachu thing, I don't really care for it but at least it's not a reboot or a straight up retelling of episode 1.

Also it's still too early to tell on Galar, they do have to showcase Galar Pokemon at some point. Corviknight's presence was a sigh of relief to me as I honestly thought the starters and maybe Gigazard would be all we saw for 10-30 episodes

But at least talking about Kanto starters, we saw Ash's Bulbasaur and the Squirtle Gang recently already in SM...

A one second cameo doesn't count, that's hardly different than a flashback lol

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I’m a sakuga freak so the first thing I look forward to in any anime is nice animation, and wow, we are getting that here! The fights, general movement, and coloring are all very pretty; we’re keeping the fluidity of SM while also bringing back the sharper edges and refined features, which is a big yes from me.

Ash and Gō look really cute lmao (not a bad thing). Gō especially- that closeup of his eyelashes and even the infamous XY glossy lips make him look super androgynous. Speaking of XY, Gō also looks like he just walked out of an episode- that’s a good thing for people who’ve at least been wanting a little of the old style.

Last edited:

Hanto

Water Addiction
Pikachu won't lose to Scorbunny, the battle obviously be interrupted just like in XY01 by Team Rocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.