• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

charinija

I wonder for how long have people asked for Butterfree, Primeape, and Pidgeot to return...?

Because if it is since they left, then that is really sad.

In my case I wished for Butterfree to return since I was, like, 12, and now I am almost 32.
Butterfree will never return. Now he has a family. They probably had a baby.But I would love to see it with 1 episode family.Maybe even give 1 baby to ash. Lol

Primeape is in training He will come back one day. But in this series, Ash has 2 fighting type pokemons. Ash will likely catch Urshifu as well. He does not return in this series.

One of the most ambiguous subjects in the anime is Pidgeot. I think if he will, he should return in this series. But he was never mentioned. Ash has a promise to pidgeot to get you back.

Primeape is still Ash's pokemon. Others were released. They may not return.

Master Pikachu 11

Our best bet is that she is Sabrina but her hair does seem a bit short.
I was thinking that it could be Nessa, but if it is Sabrina, then hopefully the battle will be a lot better then it was back in OS that episode was creepy as hell.
She could be Nessa. But, that tiny shadow by her side that remembers a jigglypuff/vulpix made me think about Lillie, even it’s very improbable for her be even in the competition.
Lillie is searching for her father and if they werent searching then I expect Gladion to participate in the PWC then Lillie.

I just remembered that in the opening towards the end with the collage of different scenes from the series, there is another trainer there in the 1:24 mark next to Bea on the left side he is wearing glasses and orange shoes, I wonder if that trainer is the guy that many are expecting to Surge as he hasn’t shown up yet, so maybe not all of them are gym leaders.

DuskAstral

Plus they could easily have a situation where we get some battles where it’s Mega Evolution vs Gigantamax.
I don't think we would get such fights as there would be too much power difference. It is unrealistic that post-Mega Evolved Pokémon could do anything about G-max Pokémon that are much larger than them and have stronger attacks.

Zariful

Butterfree will never return. Now he has a family. They probably had a baby.But I would love to see it with 1 episode family.Maybe even give 1 baby to ash. Lol

Primeape is in training He will come back one day. But in this series, Ash has 2 fighting type pokemons. Ash will likely catch Urshifu as well. He does not return in this series.

One of the most ambiguous subjects in the anime is Pidgeot. I think if he will, he should return in this series. But he was never mentioned. Ash has a promise to pidgeot to get you back.

Primeape is still Ash's pokemon. Others were released. They may not return.
Apparently the promise was a dub only thing. Kind of how Bulbasaur not wanting to evolve yet was a dub thing. So the promise may not hold a lot of weight for the writers

ShadowForce720

Apparently the promise was a dub only thing. Kind of how Bulbasaur not wanting to evolve yet was a dub thing. So the promise may not hold a lot of weight for the writers
Actually, no, Dephender himself confirmed that Ash’s promise with Pidgeot was not a dub only thing and was actually in the original version as well.

I don't think we would get such fights as there would be too much power difference. It is unrealistic that post-Mega Evolved Pokémon could do anything about G-max Pokémon that are much larger than them and have stronger attacks.
It’s already been shown that it is possible for a non Gigantamax Pokémon to take out a Gigantamax Pokémon as we saw it happen in the Darkest Day Arc.

Also considering that Ash is being built up to face Leon, there is no reason to think that he wouldn’t be able to beat a Gigantamax with a Mega Evolution.

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
which he could easily retrieve if the writers so desire.
True but still they ditch which tells me won't see Ash use it unless becomes relevant again.
No, because Dyna/Gigantamaxing doesn't have the same level of freedom than Mega's and Z-moves do, the latter 2 can be performed pretty much anywhere in the world, but the former is only shown to be doable in Galar.

But you don't think they'll make it possible to use Dyna/Gigantamaxing outside Galar with whatever method in BDSP.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
My theory may be absurd... but well, anything is possible in Journeys. What if Sabrina gives Ash a new Pokemon for winning? What if it's Gardevoir?
I guess that would be a great cool reference to Ash giving her Haunter in OS.
I'd rather Ash not get freebies, thanks.
If he gets Gardevoir he should either get it via battle or it chooses to go with him. Eggs are fine but I just find them having characters pawn off Pokemon to another character as lazy like they couldn't think of any other way to give them that Pokemon. Brock's Vulpix was fine though since it actually fit with his role at the time
I just don't think they want to have Mega's overshadow Gigantamax, especially if used by the main character of the show, in the generation where its not the current mechanic.
Doesn't that logic fly out the window due to Dragonite overshadowing his entire team? lol
I wonder for how long have people asked for Butterfree, Primeape, and Pidgeot to return...?

Because if it is since they left, then that is really sad.

In my case I wished for Butterfree to return since I was, like, 12, and now I am almost 32.
I've wanted Primeape back since the OS, seeing him in the opening alongside the lab Pokemon in BW reignited that hope and I've never stopped hoping!
His episodes will never stop being hilarious

Pikachu111213

Traveler
If he gets Gardevoir he should either get it via battle or it chooses to go with him. Eggs are fine but I just find them having characters pawn off Pokemon to another character as lazy like they couldn't think of any other way to give them that Pokemon. Brock's Vulpix was fine though since it actually fit with his role at the time

Doesn't that logic fly out the window due to Dragonite overshadowing his entire team? lol

I've wanted Primeape back since the OS, seeing him in the opening alongside the lab Pokemon in BW reignited that hope and I've never stopped hoping!
I think it speaks volumes that a mon that literally only appeared in two episodes (physical appearances, not flashbacks) is so well remembered by fans. I’m all for bringing back Primeape!!

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
But you don't think they'll make it possible to use Dyna/Gigantamaxing outside Galar with whatever method in BDSP.

It's also because of Eternatus influence that Dyna/Gigantamaxing is possible in the first place, and in the games it's never left the Galar region, nor has there been any indication of the process being capable in the anime outside of Galar either.

besides Sinnoh's design is already pretty heavily set in stone and something that, trying to see them implicate the process of dyna/gigantamax battles in? I just don't see it, even if one wanted to argue they could put them in the underground area, the way the graphics of the remakes are (with chibi style normally and battles being like the let's go pikachu/eevee style) I don't see that mixing with how the style of the raid battles in sword and shield all that well.

Mega Evolution and Z-moves on the other hand can still work because they are more flexible and not as restrictive as the current gimmick is both in in story and practice, even if you couldn't use them until post game it's still easier to do than trying to put Dyna/Gigantamaxing in

Besides we've got people who don't like that Galar is getting "Cheated" as is, if the region's gimmick, the last big thing it has to it's name was taken away, that would only hurt galar even more in those people's eyes.

By that logic Ash shouldn’t have a Dragonite since it’s not current gen Pokémon and doesn’t have Gigantamax form.

It’s pretty clear that Journeys is not solely focused on gen 8, but focuses on all the generations instead. So it doesn’t matter if Mega Evolution isn’t the current mechanic, as that doesn’t prevent Ash from Mega Evolving his Lucario.

Look it would be one thing if this series was like the previous series where Ash’s is trapped in the current region and the series just focuses on gen 8. However the current series is very clearly not solely focused on gen 8.

Considering that Ash’s Lucario looks up to Korrina’s Lucario and knows it can Mega Evolve, and considering that Korrina is likely showing up again, it’s pretty likely that Ash will have a Mega Lucario.
To build onto this statement with Ash getting into the hyper class his team is going to need a buff of some kind whether that be new moves like dragonite learning draco meteor or megas like lucario or even having an arc of pikachu mastering G-max in order to compete with the increasing difficulty of fighting these elite trainers.

nickdt

Thats not Dragonites fault, its the writers. If Ash gets a Mega, its expected he takes it with him/uses it in every battle upon getting it. They can't also justify making Lucario the fall guy. Thats the beauty of Gigamax/Dynamax. You don't have to show it in battles outside of Galar, while with Mega evolution, you need to show it outside of Galar, since i doubt they let Ash use Mega Evolution inside of Galar due to it overshadowing Gigamax/Dynamax in that case.

Mega Evolution would be especially bad for Sirfetch'd and Dracovish, who then turn into fall guys every single battle because we already have the Dragonite shilling by the writers and on top of that, Lucario is becoming the shillmon and Gengar as well if he gets a Mega. If only Lucario gets a Mega, the only thing Gengar can get is Gigamax, but then it will still be overshadowed by Pikachu, who most likely will be the main Gigamax mon.

In the long run, Mega Evolution damages Ash's team composition more than that he gains them.

Look at Ash-Greninja. We were lucky Talonflame and Hawlucha were already established before Ash-Greninja became a thing, but the form seriously hindered Noivern and too a lesser extent Goodra.

The Journeys team is already scraping for screentime, development and battles as is, which will be even worse when Mega's come into play. And if Ash brings his older mons back in rotation for certain battles, it also won't help his current mons that aren't called Lucario and Dragonite.

Last edited:

dman_dustin

By that logic Ash shouldn’t have a Dragonite since it’s not current gen Pokémon and doesn’t have Gigantamax form.

Not that I care much for this discussion one way or the other but isn't there a massive difference between a Pokemon and a battle mechanic? I would think the Pokemon would be prioritized over a trinket based power up from a world tour narrative.

That being said unless they bring in megas in 9th generation and actually give 9th generation mega and Ash still exists (same with gens after 9), this series is Ash's only chance to use a mega.

However I'm going to hate Ash getting a mega Lucario, look I'm not asking for an Ash-Greninja situation but I really fail to see why they couldn't give Lucario a 2nd mega evolution to showcase under Ash for uniqueness, as well as something new for 4th gen remakes but here we are, where the Pokemon company ultimately decided to cheapen the concept of remakes by just recreating the games with updated graphics and differences to the metagame due to fairy types and whatever else post 4th gen made to the games.

Sure they could have surprises up their sleeves but I'm expecting sheer disappointment, that the remakes feel unnecessary unless playing with fairy types and updated graphics is so necessary. Like I'd rather just play platinum than play the remakes. But its the fans fault for desiring remakes so badly. I feel more excitment for kids who never played the originals than I do with people who have and were expecting proper rdmakes rather than simple updated game.

The point is I'm bored of 6th generation Mega Lucario, and I'd rather they give Ash something not done to death. I already don't like Lucario's movepool of coursd they'll take the copout approach with Mega Lucario.

But "some" people hate "new things" and would rather Ash get the same boring stuff as everyone else because having some uniqueness to stand out is apparently overated. Like Ash-Greninja, some people would rather Ash just have your run of the mill everyday Greninja, because having the same thing over and over and over is somehiw "not" boring.

Is there a chance Gengar get Gigantamax instead of Pikachu?

Pikachu already has the gigantamax form.

If you mean Ash using Gengar as his primary gigantamax Pokemon, I'd say no. At best Gengar would only use the form once and that's only if Ash chooses to "dynamax" Gengar because Pikachu isn't battling and the narrative sayx Ash uses the concept to battle his opponent.

But against Leon? No.

Thats not Dragonites fault, its the writers. If Ash gets a Mega, its expected he takes it with him/uses it in every battle upon getting it. They can't also justify making Lucario the fall guy. Thats the beauty of Gigamax/Dynamax. You don't have to show it in battles outside of Galar, while with Mega evolution, you need to show it outside of Galar, since i doubt they let Ash use Mega Evolution inside of Galar due to it overshadowing Gigamax/Dynamax in that case.

Mega Evolution would be especially bad for Sirfetch'd and Dracovish, who then turn into fall guys every single battle because we already have the Dragonite shilling by the writers and on top of that, Lucario is becoming the shillmon and Gengar as well if he gets a Mega. If only Lucario gets a Mega, the only thing Gengar can get is Gigamax, but then it will still be overshadowed by Pikachu, who most likely will be the main Gigamax mon.

In the long run, Mega Evolution damages Ash's team composition more than that he gains them.

Look at Ash-Greninja. We were lucky Talonflame and Hawlucha were already established before Ash-Greninja became a thing, but the form seriously hindered Noivern and too a lesser extent Goodra.

The Journeys team is already scraping for screentime, development and battles as is, which will be even worse when Mega's come into play. And if Ash brings his older mons back in rotation for certain battles, it also won't help his current mons that aren't called Lucario and Dragonite.
Meh !! I would love to see mega evolutions over those boring gmax battles even if they happen every episode.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3