• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently, I was wondering if there will be a new type of Pokemon in the future. It seems to me that 18 types may be completely "not enough".
It would be nice to see the Divine type and the Magic type, it would be even better if some pokemon had the All type. :rolleyes:
Digital Type would be Something even for Pokemon like Porygon but because Porygon never appears in Pokemon Anime, so it don't happen.

ShadowForce720

Digital Type would be Something even for Pokemon like Porygon but because Porygon never appears in Pokemon Anime, so it don't happen.
That wouldn’t prevent a Digital type from being introduced. As may I remind you of the fact that even though Porygon was banned in the anime, that didn’t prevent Gamefreak from giving it evolutions in gens 2 & 4.

kickachu

Momentai!
So what pokemon you think ash will catch later this year

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Difference is that Serena was actually classified as a main character, where Chloe isn’t classified as a main character. Plus Chloe is not the first case of a supporting/recurring character getting more focus and emphasis in the anime.

That's the point. Serena was classified as a main character but did barely anything noteworthy that even a side character, Korrina, got an arc dedicated to her first. Chloe's a supporting character that is slowly being promoted to being a main cast member. My original point being that she's being handled much better then Serena was, despite the difference in character classification.

So you're telling me unless someone has a goal that they can pursue they're not "main characters"? Tell that to sophocles, lana, mallow, lillie and kiawe.

I never said that.

He said Serena didn’t get a proper amount of prominence and was mostly inconsequential until she got into TriPokalons. Koharu on the other hand was billed as a side character but is given more prominence and limelight as she moved toward becoming a Pokémon trainer. The classmates are all main characters due to being established as such from the get-go and apart of the group like Serena was the difference is obviously a large cast wouldn’t be as prominent in screen time and having a series-encompassing narrative/goal as the literal main heroine of a Pokémon series. The classmates and Koharu don’t appear in every episode—-Serena did and she had no one to fight with over screen time which made her lack of action/purpose hard to ignore is what I think was being conveyed in the post :S

Yeah pretty much. The classmates seemed much harder to give individual focus to as all six of them were considered Pokémon Trainers. In XY, while Bonnie was there, Serena only truly had Ash and Clemont to share the spotlight with. Although even then, Bonnie had more notable moments and moments of character building than Serena had before the Showcases were introduced.
-

Don't get me wrong. I like Serena and XY, but the flaws of the first third or so of the saga were pretty apparent when it came to pacing and handling Serena's development. They took so long that by the time XYZ came along, the ending moved too quickly, imo.

Hopefully that by the time Chloe's in it full time which by the looks of it, she might be soon, they are more pragmatic in what her role in the team dynamic will be and how her goal will develop.

Morax

King of heroes
He said Serena didn’t get a proper amount of prominence and was mostly inconsequential until she got into TriPokalons. Koharu on the other hand was billed as a side character but is given more prominence and limelight as she moved toward becoming a Pokémon trainer. The classmates are all main characters due to being established as such from the get-go and apart of the group like Serena was the difference is obviously a large cast wouldn’t be as prominent in screen time and having a series-encompassing narrative/goal as the literal main heroine of a Pokémon series. The classmates and Koharu don’t appear in every episode—-Serena did and she had no one to fight with over screen time which made her lack of action/purpose hard to ignore is what I think was being conveyed in the post :S
I've always found this argument stupid. You don't judge a character on the amount of episodes 'not' focused on them. That's like saying "i hate pikachu because he didn't get a lot of focus in the greninja episode". Did serena do little in the first 50 episodes? Yes, but that doesn't matter because episodes that DID focus on her gave her some phenomenal development.

Although even then, Bonnie had more notable moments and moments of character building than Serena had before the Showcases were introduced
You're confusing agency with character building.

DuskAstral

Chloe's a supporting character that is slowly being promoted to being a main cast member.
I don't think Koharu has joined the main cast. For these reasons.

- the series was from the beginning intended for two protagonists (i.e. Satoshi and Gou)

- Somehow I don't think that a diligent student like Koharu suddenly decided to skip school in order to travel constantly with the boys

ImBeVillain

No more six members
Wouldn't Magic Type just basically be Psychic and Fairy combined into a Single Type?
I also thought about that at all, but if we choose the right moves that should be associated with these types of picks.
Psychic powers are kind of like "personal magic" - teleportation, mind reading, hypnosis ... they remind me more of psychological control over myself or another person than magic.
A Magic type could have moves like magic shield, magical beam, summon creature, summon weather, magic three swords. They are not "psychological" attacks.
I want see new one psychic type move - Telekinesis.

As for the Divine type, it could be for example: Divine Beam, Angelic Arrow, Evil Annihilation.
This type is very suitable for legendary pokemon.

desdar300

I also thought about that at all, but if we choose the right moves that should be associated with these types of picks.
Psychic powers are kind of like "personal magic" - teleportation, mind reading, hypnosis ... they remind me more of psychological control over myself or another person than magic.
A Magic type could have moves like magic shield, magical beam, summon creature, summon weather, magic three swords. They are not "psychological" attacks.

As for the Divine type, it could be for example: Divine Beam, Angelic Arrow, Evil Annihilation.
I think that most magicians like say Alakazam or Delphox are psychic types because really magic is just an illusion of the Mind.
Fairies also kind of fit Angelic trope since a lot of the legendary ones are Divine figures like Zacian being partially based on a valkyrie and Morgan Le Fay

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Agreed. When you have a type that resists 2/3 of all of them while another only resists itself, I think there needs to be some balancing.

But to be fair, real-world ice is kind of fragile and steel is kinda really hard. They already balanced Steel by removing the Ghost and Dark-resists. What should Ice resist in your mind? And to be completely honest, Ice is valued as a great offensive type. If you're going to balance it defensively, then it'll start to get broken.

Telekinesis is ALREADY a Psychic-type move. It levitates opponents to make them easier to hit for three turns (while also giving them a Ground-type immunity).

Everything you mentioned about 'magic' is basically what Fairy does. What the f is 'summon creature'. A pokémon is not going to be summoning anything at all. That's your job as the trainer...

Lets not give 3/4th of all legendaries the same typing, that would make the game incredibly boring. Also, anything can be divine, but there are often better indicators of what something should be. Dialga is the Sinnoh deity of time and Palkia is the Sinnoh deity of Space. Physically they're both dragons. Making them both Dragon/Divine would be pretty boring, wouldn't it? The 'divine' monicker says more about their status in the lore then about the actual qualities of the pokémon itself. Divine Beam, Angelic Arrow sound like Fairy-type moves, Evil Annihilation sounds like a Dark-type move.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
That's the point. Serena was classified as a main character but did barely anything noteworthy that even a side character, Korrina, got an arc dedicated to her first. Chloe's a supporting character that is slowly being promoted to being a main cast member. My original point being that she's being handled much better then Serena was, despite the difference in character classification.

I’m not gonna comment on serana, since i don’t really want to get in another debate about serena, but is chloe really being handled that well?

She’s gotten like what? 4 focus episodes around her? 2 with yamper, 1 with evee, and 1 ponyta. Then those 2 first one kinda feels devalued right now because yamper pretty much got kicked aside as soon as evee came on.

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
Bonnie had more notable moments and moments of character building than Serena had before the Showcases were introduced.

Are you purposely ignoring the moments where Serena shows her fragility and how spoilt she was (The road to Santalune and staying in the forest) her indecisiveness (When asked by Clemont why she left home), her attempts to find her goal and trying various activities (Baking, Grooming etc) being sad at not having a purpose on her journey (The time when she says 'It must be nice to have something you are so passionate about' or something along that line), Aria's introduction, the summer camp etc. Or are you just not remembering things correctly.

It's one thing to misremembered things, it's another to make blanket statements like someone is handled better without any reason when the someone has her first two focus episodes wasted thanks to the marketable Eevee. How is Koharu treated 'better', because she doesn't appear every episode ? If so, then every pokegirl is handled worse because none of them (except for Misty afyer the league) did anything during the leagues or many gym badges. Most of them they appeared in.

It's unfathomably stupid to expect every character to do something notable every episode. They aren't a single protagonist. They have to share screentime. If Koharu's merit lies in not appearing every episode, then you're just comparing apples and episodes by having Koharu already put in an advantageous situation of not having to put in work every episode. Then effectively ignoring Serena's character moments.

If Serena were to have all 47 episodes to herself, someone would have been complaining about other characters getting shafted. Completely missing the point that there are parts of a story where each characters gets focus. It was Clemont's time, but the fact remains that Serena still got major moments in a time where she wasn't even the major part.

-----------------

Extending to every character, it's stupid to ask them to do something every single episode and call it bad handling when they don't get focus in someone else's episode. Calling Ash useless because he does nothing in the Grand Festival is stupid. Calling May useless for not doing anything in Ash and Brandon's match is stupid. Calling Dawn useless because she wasn't bringing up her own troubles during Ash vs Paul is stupid. Are 'forefront' and 'limelight' such foreign words to you that some other character getting focus must mean that the character being discussed is entirely useless and worthless ?

If yes, then Ash is useless because he didn't snatch Braixen's pokeball from Serena and performed at the master class.

Status
Not open for further replies.