• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I just hope for the love of all things Ash doesn't go yet another Generation without a Grass type, when literally everything is available at this point.

Sh** at this rate, just have him bring back Oshawott, Rowlet and Quilava for Legends marketing

Well, to be fair, it's Fire's turn to be skipped this time around. Grass got skipped in XY despite Ash showing a deep interest in Alexa's Gogoat as he did with her Noivern. I guess they didn't want to give him both of Alexa's Pokémon? Water got skipped in Alola for whatever reason, despite it being an island region. They gave Lana Popplio and had Guzma use Golisopod as his ace. Dewpider was teased for Lana but it was forgotten in favor for an Eevee that did nothing, it didn't even evolve into Vaporeon for the Alola League. Pyukumuku and Bruxish weren't real options for Ash.

At least for fire, Ash can always bring back Infernape as it would be currently relevant and was skipped in BW in favor for Charizard, that did nothing at all...

I think this series should focus more on giving Ash more types on which he doesn't have many of, like Steel by giving him Empoleon and/or Alolan Sandslash, which the former also helps his Ice-type reserves, which one has Glalie.

He could catch more Fairy, Psychic, Ice, Steel, Rock, Ghost, Poison, and even Normal types. Besides the regional birds, his last Normal type that stayed on his team was back in Orange Islands with Snorlax. Aipom got pingponged between three trainers and replaced by a Togekiss that did nothing...

nickdt

I just hope for the love of all things Ash doesn't go yet another Generation without a Grass type, when literally everything is available at this point.

Sh** at this rate, just have him bring back Oshawott, Rowlet and Quilava for Legends marketing

I mean, he can skip grass. He literally has skipped the Water starter twice in a row (While funnily enough its his favorite starter type, since he wanted to originally start with Squirtle).

DavidD001

I mean, he can skip grass. He literally has skipped the Water starter twice in a row (While funnily enough its his favorite starter type, since he wanted to originally start with Squirtle).
What water starters were those if I may ask?

Eddieursa

Marsh Trainer
Blast! I can't believe they gave Grookey to Goh too!!

Well, now they have to give us something in return. I would say some of Ash's old starters should return and evolve. There have been a lot of promotion in merchandise about Meganium, Feraligator and Typhlosion. Maybe Ash's Bayleef, Quilava and Totodile will return and evolve at last.

Also, with the remakes of Sinnoh, I would like Ash would get a Piplup and evolve it into Empoleon. That way, he would have all the Starters from Sinnoh.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

Just give him Chespin and I'll forgive everything. Everything.
(While funnily enough its his favorite starter type, since he wanted to originally start with Squirtle).
He randomly saying Squirtle's name first on episode doesn't mean water is his favorite type. He didn't have one water type on SM for example.

First episode made it a point he was completly undecided about which to pick first. Squirtle's name probably pop up just because it was the next on his cycle of indecisiveness.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Yes some like Dawn and May for example got a lot of focus however they were never considered to be co-protagonist and have the same status as Ash, they were just simply regarded as traveling companions.
Except Dawn was.

The little text blurb in the opening was even modified to say "Ash's and Dawn's adventure" rather than "Ash's adventure" as it used to be which pretty much tells it was an intentional change.

And the first episode being pretty much focused only on Dawn with Ash only showing up in the tail end backs it more. Even the 10th movie had Dawn having equal importance as Ash in the "save the world business".

Did they end up reducing her importance as the series went on? Yes, they might but the intention WAS there and you could see they planned things to be that way.

ShadowForce720

Except Dawn was.

The little text blurb in the opening was even modified to say "Ash's and Dawn's adventure" rather than "Ash's adventure" as it used to be which pretty much tells it was an intentional change.

And the first episode being pretty much focused only on Dawn with Ash only showing up in the tail end backs it more. Even the 10th movie had Dawn having equal importance as Ash in the "save the world business".

Did they end up reducing her importance as the series went on? Yes, they might but the intention WAS there and you could see they planned things to be that way.
They might have at one point considered the possibility of making Dawn a co-protagonist, but she was never actually officially labeled that. Goh is the first character to officially be considered a co-protagonist and have the same status as Ash.

ShadowForce720

Wut? Ash hasn't had a Ground Type Pokémon since Gen 5 lol

And heck for that matter I don't even remember any Ground Type Pokémon Ash has owned before Torterra in Gen 4

How is Ground Type an overused Type for Ash?
Actually he got a Phanpy he hatched from a egg in the Johto part of OS and then during the Battle Frontier he brought back his Phanpy and it evolved into Donphan.

Also in gen 4 he caught a Gligar that evolved into Gliscor and a Gible both of which were caught before Ash’s Grotle became a Torterra.

So he actually has a total of 6 Ground type Pokémon. That being said I don’t have any problems with Ash getting another Ground type.

Mythical-Moonlight

God I wish that were me (Misty)
Actually he got a Phanpy he hatched from a egg in the Johto part of OS and then during the Battle Frontier he brought back his Phanpy and it evolved into Donphan.

Also in gen 4 he caught a Gligar that evolved into Gliscor and a Gible both of which were caught before Ash’s Grotle became a Torterra.

So he actually has a total of 6 Ground type Pokémon. That being said I don’t have any problems with Ash getting another Ground type.
Jeez I dunno how I forgot about Phanpy

I did remember Gliscor and Gible but for some reason I thought they were after Torterra (it's been a long time since I've seen DP)

Master Pikachu 11

I think that he will end up with Zarude as his grass type.
Joltik is talking about a grass type Pokémon as in a non starter, Joltik wants him to get a grass type Pokémon that isn’t a starter like in Hoenn and Sinnoh where he got Corphish, and Buizel instead of Mudkip, and Piplup. Joltik is hoping that Ash doesn’t skip grass completely like he did in Kalos especially since every Pokémon in now on the table in this series.

Eddieursa

Marsh Trainer
Why can't Popplio and Sobble work for Ash?

And please don't say because "Popplio is girly" because that's some bs
Sobble because of its shy and timid nature. And honestly, a Pokemon that attacks with his hands as if they were guns... That makes me REALLY unconfortable. Even if it is a "water gun".

Popplio/Primarine is girly, but it could work as the Water partner for Bayleef/Meganium. It could give Ash a Fairy type too, but the main problem is that it looks as a mermaid make it a Water Pokemon that depends a lot of water. I mean, Ash's water types tend to be Pokemon that can live both on Earth and on the water, like amphibious. And that's quite useful in places where there's not much water around, like a desert. A Pokemon that depends on water and can move well on Earth, that can't be a problem. The only exception for this rule could be Lapras, but it will still have problems out of the water.

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
Except Dawn was.

THANKS for saying this. People are taking this co protagonist thing like it's invented yesterday.

Mythical-Moonlight

God I wish that were me (Misty)
Sobble because of its shy and timid nature.
Gligar?

And honestly, a Pokemon that attacks with his hands as if they were guns... That makes me REALLY unconfortable. Even if it is a "water gun".
Just Curious
How do you feel about Blastoise?

Popplio/Primarine is girly, but it could work as the Water partner for Bayleef/Meganium. It could give Ash a Fairy type too, but the main problem is that it looks as a mermaid make it a Water Pokemon that depends a lot of water. I mean, Ash's water types tend to be Pokemon that can live both on Earth and on the water, like amphibious. And that's quite useful in places where there's not much water around, like a desert. A Pokemon that depends on water and can move well on Earth, that can't be a problem. The only exception for this rule could be Lapras, but it will still have problems out of the water.
Idk I thought Lana's Primarina seemed to battle fine on land?
But then again she was also somewhat slow and Ash usually doesn't work well with slow mons so you may have a point