• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddieursa

Marsh Trainer
Next week has the boys going back to Alola. I’m genuinely curious how the eventual dub is gonna work around those Passimian if those are the same ones Ash helped out.

Sorry for the double post, but I forgot to mention this. The preview mentions something about catching Pokemon during the race?

kickachu

Momentai!
Anybody have any idea what ash might catch in the contest

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
Passimian. He's their boss, anyway.

I wouldn't mind if Ash actually ends with one of those piplups too. In fact, I wouldn't mind if ends with a mawile, tyranitar, aegislash, wimpod, hattrem and rolycoly too.

Yeah, yeah, development, screentime, yadda yadda, I'm just pretty bored and I don't give two cents anymore to what Go catches or not, since his mons have less screentime in one saga than Ash's in 8 sagas.

Also, I hope Volkner have a galvantula and vikavolt. And an alolan raichu, while we're on that.

Meh.

Last edited:

Eddieursa

Marsh Trainer
Anybody have any idea what ash might catch in the contest

Well, I previously wanted Ash to capture an Alolan Exeggutor, but if he can't now, then an Alolan Raichu would be fitting.

The Passimian would be a good idea, but considering he already has Lucario and Sirfetch'd, maybe better not.

I wouldn't mind if Ash actually ends with one of those piplups too. In fact, I wouldn't mind if ends with a mawile, tyranitar, aegislash, wimpod, hattrem and rolycoly too.

Yeah, yeah, development, screentime, yadda yadda, I'm just pretty bored and I don't give two cents anymore to what Go catches or not, since his mons have less screentime in one saga than Ash's in 8 sagas.

Also, I hope Volkner have a galvantula and vikavolt. And an alolan raichu, while we're on that.

Meh.

Yeah, I share some of your opinions, pals. Mainly the possibility of Ash getting one of those Piplups too.

DigitalTrainer

Worried about everything

They could easily give Ash's current team attention, and let him get some new Pokemon, including the one's you listed, if the writers finally stopped being stupid and paused focusing on Goh for a bit, along with the pointless filler episodes

Last edited:

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.

Meh.
Not like screentime ever mattered in the anime anyways. And how about nah on the Passimian lmao.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
i feel that the Pokemon that ash can have now is, tyranitar or gardevoir or Corviknight or piplup or mawile or Frosslass or some Eeveevolution
Galar mons should be a priority anyways since the roster needs it. And the only old gen mons that I’m accepting are Tyranitar like alot popularly think and agree on and I guess one of those Piplup from yesterday’s ep if they’re ever gonna appear again and are to be used for anything.

Eddieursa

Marsh Trainer
I know this has nothing to do with the anime, but I can't help myself!
E7iabpdUUAULkDE

E7hwWB9VcAEjqq2

OK, about these pictures. I admit some of the Pokemon can be random, but it's obvious there has to be spoilers hidden too, as many of the Pokemon we see match with captures made by both, Ash and Goh. Some others also make reference to Koharu and other characters.

1º) Let's start with the tiny image:
+ Pikachu, Darkrai, Cresselia and Sirfetch'd: No need to analyze.
+ Sinnoh's Starters: Goh already captured the three starters from Galar, so maybe these will be distributed between Ash, Goh and Koharu. Ash will get the one he doesn't have, Piplup. Turtwig and Chimchar could be with Goh and Koharu. Since Grookey doesn't seem to have a fighting style, maybe Goh will get Turtwig.
+ Luxray and Shinx: Luxray can be a reference to Volkner, and personally, I would like Ash getting a Shinx. Not only because that Luxio he befriended back in Sinnoh, but also as a reference to one of his journey partners, Clemont.
+ Rolycoly, Carkol and Coalossal: I want to see this as a potential capture for Ash. Especially remembering the Coalossal he protected from the mad people during the Eternatus' arc.
+ Galar Ponyta: I wanted Ash to get this Pokemon too, but I guess it means Koharu will be the one to get it.

2º) About the bigger pictures, the first one is clearly a promo for the remakes of Sinnoh, with all the Pokemon from that Generation. Even so, it could have some clues, like maybe Goh's Misdreavus evolving to Mismagius. The second one, however, MIGHT have hidden spoilers of future events, considering many of them are between the ones that are already regular in the anime. I'm going to mention the ones that call my attention the most:

+ Kanto:
- Pidgeot: I hope this could mean the return of Ash's Pokemon.
- Butterfree: Yeah, yeah, I know, it can be Goh's, but since it doesn't have much role in general, can you blame me with dreaming about Ash's Butterfree returning?

+ Jonhto:
- Tyranitar: Definitely, Ash's Larvitar returning and evolved.
- Starters: I would like Ash's would return and evolve further, especially Totodile.
- Togepi: Ash found Togepi's egg originally, and Togetic can use Aura Sphere (Aura Power) just like Lucario. So, why not?

+ Hoenn:
- Torchic: I would like Ash to have a Blaziken too.
- Metagross: I don't know why, but I always this Pokemon as one potential capture for Ash.
- Corphish: Ash's could return? It would be a good time to make it evolve to Crawdaunt.

+ Sinnoh:
- Empoleon: The Sinnoh starter Ash is lacking. He has to catch one.
- Shinx: Another potential capture for Ash.
- Garchomp: it could mean Cynthia's return, but I would like Ash's Gible returning and evolving.
- Mime Jr: Someone (Ash, Goh or Koharu) could get one and evolve it into a Galarian Mr Mime and then into a Mr Rime.

+ Unova:
- Starters: I would appreciate the return of Ash's to make them evolve.
- Gigalith: MAYBE Ash and Goh will make their respective Boldores to evolve by trading.
- Zorua: Another good capture for Ash.

+ Kalos:
- Tyrunt: Ash definitely needs to capture one of these.
- Pancham: Another potencial capture for Ash, as reference to Serena.
- Litleo: Ash befriended one in the past, so it could return.
*Greninja: It doesn't appear here, but Ash's Pokemon definitely has to return.

+ Alola:
- Rowlet: I would want Ash's returning getting rid of the Everstone and finally evolving.
- Toucannon: I have doubts about this one for Ash. I don't know.
- Vikavolt, Turtonator, Alolan Vulpix: I know they can be references to the Pokemon of Ash's gang, but Ash could still have one of them for himself. Vikavolt and Alolan Vulpix the main ones.

+ Galar:
- Orbeetle: This is the only one I see fitting for Ash.

Megapixel

OK, about these pictures. I admit some of the Pokemon can be random, but it's obvious there has to be spoilers hidden too, as many of the Pokemon we see match with captures made by both, Ash and Goh. Some others also make reference to Koharu and other characters.

1º) Let's start with the tiny image:
+ Pikachu, Darkrai, Cresselia and Sirfetch'd: No need to analyze.
+ Sinnoh's Starters: Goh already captured the three starters from Galar, so maybe these will be distributed between Ash, Goh and Koharu. Ash will get the one he doesn't have, Piplup. Turtwig and Chimchar could be with Goh and Koharu. Since Grookey doesn't seem to have a fighting style, maybe Goh will get Turtwig.
+ Luxray and Shinx: Luxray can be a reference to Volkner, and personally, I would like Ash getting a Shinx. Not only because that Luxio he befriended back in Sinnoh, but also as a reference to one of his journey partners, Clemont.
+ Rolycoly, Carkol and Coalossal: I want to see this as a potential capture for Ash. Especially remembering the Coalossal he protected from the mad people during the Eternatus' arc.
+ Galar Ponyta: I wanted Ash to get this Pokemon too, but I guess it means Koharu will be the one to get it.

2º) About the bigger pictures, the first one is clearly a promo for the remakes of Sinnoh, with all the Pokemon from that Generation. Even so, it could have some clues, like maybe Goh's Misdreavus evolving to Mismagius. The second one, however, MIGHT have hidden spoilers of future events, considering many of them are between the ones that are already regular in the anime. I'm going to mention the ones that call my attention the most:

+ Kanto:
- Pidgeot: I hope this could mean the return of Ash's Pokemon.
- Butterfree: Yeah, yeah, I know, it can be Goh's, but since it doesn't have much role in general, can you blame me with dreaming about Ash's Butterfree returning?

+ Jonhto:
- Tyranitar: Definitely, Ash's Larvitar returning and evolved.
- Starters: I would like Ash's would return and evolve further, especially Totodile.
- Togepi: Ash found Togepi's egg originally, and Togetic can use Aura Sphere (Aura Power) just like Lucario. So, why not?

+ Hoenn:
- Torchic: I would like Ash to have a Blaziken too.
- Metagross: I don't know why, but I always this Pokemon as one potential capture for Ash.
- Corphish: Ash's could return? It would be a good time to make it evolve to Crawdaunt.

+ Sinnoh:
- Empoleon: The Sinnoh starter Ash is lacking. He has to catch one.
- Shinx: Another potential capture for Ash.
- Garchomp: it could mean Cynthia's return, but I would like Ash's Gible returning and evolving.
- Mime Jr: Someone (Ash, Goh or Koharu) could get one and evolve it into a Galarian Mr Mime and then into a Mr Rime.

+ Unova:
- Starters: I would appreciate the return of Ash's to make them evolve.
- Gigalith: MAYBE Ash and Goh will make their respective Boldores to evolve by trading.
- Zorua: Another good capture for Ash.

+ Kalos:
- Tyrunt: Ash definitely needs to capture one of these.
- Pancham: Another potencial capture for Ash, as reference to Serena.
- Litleo: Ash befriended one in the past, so it could return.
*Greninja: It doesn't appear here, but Ash's Pokemon definitely has to return.

+ Alola:
- Rowlet: I would want Ash's returning getting rid of the Everstone and finally evolving.
- Toucannon: I have doubts about this one for Ash. I don't know.
- Vikavolt, Turtonator, Alolan Vulpix: I know they can be references to the Pokemon of Ash's gang, but Ash could still have one of them for himself. Vikavolt and Alolan Vulpix the main ones.

+ Galar:
- Orbeetle: This is the only one I see fitting for Ash.
corviknight would also come in handy with ash.

Rune Knight

I just realized that we haven't a Grass Starter evolve since DP

Remember the "Water Starter Curse"?
Is the "Grass Starter Curse" also a thing?

Well, if we're accounting for all of the starters across every character then naturally Marshtomp would've broken the water starter curse in AG.

However, if it's just Ash, then the water starter curse could be considered a thing.

It depends on our perception of what we consider to be a curse. In this case, none of the grass starters (owned by main characters) evolved during the last four generations. Is four enough to be considered a curse? Maybe.

The thing is, I think that the main key element that made the water starter curse so notable was the fact that it hadn't occurred until Gen 6. The difference here is that the grass starters simply stopped evolving after Gen 4, but until then it was shown that they were capable of doing so.

IE: It sounds more feasible to say that none of Ash's Water Starters evolved until Gen 6 than to say the Grass Starters haven't evolved since Gen 4. Back then (before XY) we would've said "Ash never evolved any of his water starters."

Because of this, I personally do not consider the grass-starter curse as a thing, but would understand if others saw it differently.

Last edited:

nickdt

Well, if we're accounting for all of the starters across every character then naturally Marshtomp would've broken the water starter curse in AG.

However, if it's just Ash, then the water starter curse could be considered a thing.

It depends on our perception of what we consider to be a curse. In this case, none of the grass starters (owned by main characters) evolved during the last four generations. Is four enough to be considered a curse? Maybe.

The thing is, I think that the main key element that made the water starter curse so notable was the fact that it hadn't occurred until Gen 6. The difference here is that the grass starters simply stopped evolving after Gen 4, but until then it was shown that they were capable of doing so.

IE: It sounds more feasible to say that none of Ash's Water Starters evolved until Gen 6 than to say the Grass Starters haven't evolved since Gen 4. Back then (before XY) we would've said "Ash never evolved any of his water starters."

Because of this, I personally do not consider the grass-starter curse as a thing, but would understand if others saw it differently.

Problem with this argument is that currently only 3 out of 8 grass starters have evolved (Bayleef, Sceptile and Torterra), while the rest have stayed in their base stages, especially since aside from Snivy, all those base stages were more popular than their evolved forms (Which means that its a safe assumption to make that Grookey won't evolve either). Snivy staying in base stage is the oddity here, but you can partly contribute it towards Trip also owning the Snivy line and fully evolving it. And yes, i know Paul also owned Torterra, but the difference between Paul and Trip is that Paul wasn't a rookie trainer and had more Pokemon in its arsenal (And i think Chimchar/Infernape was meant to become Pauls ace anyways, until it became popular and they decided to give it to Ash). Another problem with Ash getting Torterra was also that the moment Ash got his, Pauls didn't show up anymore in any official capacity at all, which they could afford with Paul (Since not a rookie) and not with Trip (Rookie, Starter Pokemon and its rivalry with Pikachu).

Unlike with Pauls Torterra as well (First debuted in DP040), Trips Snivy showed up from the start, which also meant people could have formed more of a connection to it than with Pauls Torterra.

So yeah, its pretty much safe to say there is also a curse for Grass starters due to their base stage forms marketability.

Rune Knight

Problem with this argument is that currently only 3 out of 8 grass starters have evolved (Bayleef, Sceptile and Torterra), while the rest have stayed in their base stages, especially since aside from Snivy, all those base stages were more popular than their evolved forms (Which means that its a safe assumption to make that Grookey won't evolve either). Snivy staying in base stage is the oddity here, but you can partly contribute it towards Trip also owning the Snivy line and fully evolving it. And yes, i know Paul also owned Torterra, but the difference between Paul and Trip is that Paul wasn't a rookie trainer and had more Pokemon in its arsenal (And i think Chimchar/Infernape was meant to become Pauls ace anyways, until it became popular and they decided to give it to Ash). Another problem with Ash getting Torterra was also that the moment Ash got his, Pauls didn't show up anymore in any official capacity at all, which they could afford with Paul (Since not a rookie) and not with Trip (Rookie, Starter Pokemon and its rivalry with Pikachu).

Unlike with Pauls Torterra as well (First debuted in DP040), Trips Snivy showed up from the start, which also meant people could have formed more of a connection to it than with Pauls Torterra.

So yeah, its pretty much safe to say there is also a curse for Grass starters due to their base stage forms marketability.

They probably refrained from evolving Chespin because Quilladin wasn't too popular (sorry to Quilladin fans), going as far as to only appearing in one episode.

Besides Snivy, I think that Rowlet was sort of an odd case as well. Since Decidueye was already popular within the community with some even wanting it as the gen 7 rep fighter in Smash before Incineroar was announced.

I believe that the writers originally had deeper plans for Ash's Rowlet, but the backpack gag along with its unique personality made it adored among the anime fanbase. Overall, I'm glad that it stayed a Rowlet.

We've yet to see what's going to happen with Grookey. I personally want it to stay as it is so Goh can have one stage of each gen 8 starter line.

Status
Not open for further replies.