• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickdt

They probably refrained from evolving Chespin because Quilladin wasn't too popular (sorry to Quilladin fans), going as far as to only appearing in one episode.

Besides Snivy, I think that Rowlet was sort of an odd case as well. Since Decidueye was already popular within the community with some even wanting it as the gen 7 rep fighter in Smash before Incineroar was announced.

I believe that the writers originally had deeper plans for Ash's Rowlet, but the backpack gag along with its unique personality made it adored among the anime fanbase. Overall, I'm glad that it stayed a Rowlet.

We've yet to see what's going to happen with Grookey. I personally want it to stay as it is so Goh can have one stage of each gen 8 starter line.

I mean, Chespin was literally the most popular of its line, since neither Quilladin and Chesnaught are popular.

Rowlet was more popular than Decidueye in Japan as well (Only late in SUMO run Decidueye got traction, possibily due to its inclusion in Pokken, since Primarina was the OG popular fully evolved starter in Japan, oh my, Gamefreak has done good things to the water starters the last three gens, since all of them were/are popular in Japan initially, since while Primarina has been overtaken by Incineroar and Decidueye, its still in the top 10, which is really rare since that rarely happens that all three fully evolved forms are in the top 10 based on the Pokemon of the Year Poll (Only Fully Evolved starter trio to even be in the top 10 of their region), especially if we look at the fully evolved mons top 10.

Kanto: Charizard
Johto: Typhlosion
Hoenn: Sceptile and Blaziken (Swampert is 11th, close to the top 10).
Sinnoh: Infernape and Empoleon
Unova: Serperior
Kalos: Greninja
Alola: Decidueye, Incineroar and Primarina
Galar: Cinderace and Inteleon (But we know Japanese results are way different with them)

Interesting observation that ever since gen 5, the Fire starters have lost some traction and that the Water type is slowly gonna be overtaking them.

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
They probably refrained from evolving Chespin because Quilladin wasn't too popular (sorry to Quilladin fans), going as far as to only appearing in one episode.

Besides Snivy, I think that Rowlet was sort of an odd case as well. Since Decidueye was already popular within the community with some even wanting it as the gen 7 rep fighter in Smash before Incineroar was announced.

I believe that the writers originally had deeper plans for Ash's Rowlet, but the backpack gag along with its unique personality made it adored among the anime fanbase. Overall, I'm glad that it stayed a Rowlet.

We've yet to see what's going to happen with Grookey. I personally want it to stay as it is so Goh can have one stage of each gen 8 starter line.
And then in the very next series Lana had Brionne for like two episodes and it instantly became Primarina without any work or effort!

They should have done that with Chespin, especially since they had TWO running around that both looked and acted like the same Pokemon! Sort of how every Eevee is the same! Bowser got screwed over even harder than Decidueye did, not a single character of importance owned it and both stages were in one off POTD episodes!

At least Serperior had a good showing with Trip. I'm honestly glad I always disliked the entire Grookey line cause it's an annoying unlikeable twerp for one and it also looks like Grookey will remain the shoulder mon

Rune Knight

I mean, Chespin was literally the most popular of its line, since neither Quilladin and Chesnaught are popular.

Rowlet was more popular than Decidueye in Japan as well (Only late in SUMO run Decidueye got traction, possibily due to its inclusion in Pokken, since Primarina was the OG popular fully evolved starter in Japan, oh my, Gamefreak has done good things to the water starters the last three gens, since all of them were/are popular in Japan initially, since while Primarina has been overtaken by Incineroar and Decidueye, its still in the top 10, which is really rare since that rarely happens that all three fully evolved forms are in the top 10.

I never saw Chesnaught as a problem since Chespin isn't really the most popular of the Gen 6 starters, so to me it's a really vague bar to compare. I just know that Quilladin wasn't well received when it was introduced, and that it didn't even appear in the XY anime until its final season.

Honestly, I thought that Decidueye was always more popular than Rowlet outside of the anime, but it makes sense to know that wasn't the case.

nickdt

I never saw Chesnaught as a problem since Chespin isn't really the most popular of the Gen 6 starters, so to me it's a really vague bar to compare. I just know that Quilladin wasn't well received when it was introduced, and that it didn't even appear in the XY anime until its final season.

Honestly, I thought that Decidueye was always more popular than Rowlet outside of the anime, but it makes sense to know that wasn't the case.

Chespin might not be the most popular of the gen 6 starters, its the most popular of its line (And this is mostly what determines if it evolves or not, especially if we look at what has happened in the past already, with the only oddities being Quilava - least popular of its line and Snivy).

But at least since gen 6, they have been looking at marketing for evolutions and captures at least (Notice how every single of of Ash's Kalos and Alola mons (Bar Melmetal and Poiple/Naganadel, since i don't know if Ultra Beasts were even considered and they slotted Meltan/Melmetal in gen 8) are in the top 10 most popular mons of their regions, except for Hawlucha, but it was more popular in Kalos during its run than its now it seems)

Kalos: 1. Greninja, 4. Noivern. 5. Goodra. 6. Talonflame (Out of the top 6, Sylveon is number 2 and Aegislash is number 3 and only Aegislash didn't make it on the main cast. Even Dedenne is in the top 10, placed right behind Talonflame on number 7). The only Kalos main cast mons that didn't make the top 30 and as such didn't make the list are Bunnelby and Chespin
Alola. 1. Mimikyu (Owned by Jessie), 2. Rowlet, 3. Decidueye. 4. Lycanroc. 6. Incineroar. 8. Primarina. 9 Bewear. The only cast members Pokemon that didn't make it in the top 30 are Mareanie and Turtonator.

Last edited:

Rune Knight

I also think that they may have kept it as a Chespin because it has similar physical characteristics to Oshawott, so it would have acted as a good carry-over from BW to XY.

Just a thought.

ToyGod

I am on YouTube too!!
I know this has nothing to do with the anime, but I can't help myself!
E7iabpdUUAULkDE

E7hwWB9VcAEjqq2
Carkoal/Coalossal for ash? Who is up for dibbs on this? Let's all ride this train into a hole of disappointment again, but there's nothing wrong in speculation

AxelJade

My whole thing with the starters evolving or not evolving... Well, you're all sick of me saying it by now, but I'll say it again. Characterization. I care more about a Pokémon's characterization than whether evolving makes sense or whether they can kick more ass by evolving.

Like, compare Totodile to Infernape. Totodile has nothing to gain from evolving. Totodile's endlessly happy dancing isn't framed as a serious flaw in their character that needs to be overcome. It's framed as just part of their personality, and unless you plan on doing a character arc where sudden personality changes make it harder to train them, don't bother. Just keep them as they are, and just treat them like their evolved forms in battle. By contrast, Infernape's whole arc was about dealing with its trauma and learning to control its power, and evolving to both better control that power and to better represent that it's growing up and moving on from weak little Chimchar is the best way to handle that.

Same deal with Goh's starters. Goh's Raboot starting to give Goh the cold shoulder after evolving because it wanted to battle while Goh didn't and Drizzile wanting to be alone out of depression because it wanted to evolve straight into Inteleon? That's fine. Those are character flaws and conflicts that necessitate Goh and his Pokémon growing and changing to overcome, and evolving is the best way to symbolize that.

But Grookey doesn't have anything like that. It hasn't shown a deep love for battling, or that it has any interest in evolving, or... Any real interests at all that could change or be thrown off by evolving. There is nothing to work with characterwise for Grookey. So I say leave the little monkey as a little monkey. Nothing will change.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
OK, about these pictures. I admit some of the Pokemon can be random, but it's obvious there has to be spoilers hidden too, as many of the Pokemon we see match with captures made by both, Ash and Goh. Some others also make reference to Koharu and other characters.

1º) Let's start with the tiny image:
+ Pikachu, Darkrai, Cresselia and Sirfetch'd: No need to analyze.
+ Sinnoh's Starters: Goh already captured the three starters from Galar, so maybe these will be distributed between Ash, Goh and Koharu. Ash will get the one he doesn't have, Piplup. Turtwig and Chimchar could be with Goh and Koharu. Since Grookey doesn't seem to have a fighting style, maybe Goh will get Turtwig.
+ Luxray and Shinx: Luxray can be a reference to Volkner, and personally, I would like Ash getting a Shinx. Not only because that Luxio he befriended back in Sinnoh, but also as a reference to one of his journey partners, Clemont.
+ Rolycoly, Carkol and Coalossal: I want to see this as a potential capture for Ash. Especially remembering the Coalossal he protected from the mad people during the Eternatus' arc.
+ Galar Ponyta: I wanted Ash to get this Pokemon too, but I guess it means Koharu will be the one to get it.

2º) About the bigger pictures, the first one is clearly a promo for the remakes of Sinnoh, with all the Pokemon from that Generation. Even so, it could have some clues, like maybe Goh's Misdreavus evolving to Mismagius. The second one, however, MIGHT have hidden spoilers of future events, considering many of them are between the ones that are already regular in the anime. I'm going to mention the ones that call my attention the most:

+ Kanto:
- Pidgeot: I hope this could mean the return of Ash's Pokemon.
- Butterfree: Yeah, yeah, I know, it can be Goh's, but since it doesn't have much role in general, can you blame me with dreaming about Ash's Butterfree returning?

+ Jonhto:
- Tyranitar: Definitely, Ash's Larvitar returning and evolved.
- Starters: I would like Ash's would return and evolve further, especially Totodile.
- Togepi: Ash found Togepi's egg originally, and Togetic can use Aura Sphere (Aura Power) just like Lucario. So, why not?

+ Hoenn:
- Torchic: I would like Ash to have a Blaziken too.
- Metagross: I don't know why, but I always this Pokemon as one potential capture for Ash.
- Corphish: Ash's could return? It would be a good time to make it evolve to Crawdaunt.

+ Sinnoh:
- Empoleon: The Sinnoh starter Ash is lacking. He has to catch one.
- Shinx: Another potential capture for Ash.
- Garchomp: it could mean Cynthia's return, but I would like Ash's Gible returning and evolving.
- Mime Jr: Someone (Ash, Goh or Koharu) could get one and evolve it into a Galarian Mr Mime and then into a Mr Rime.

+ Unova:
- Starters: I would appreciate the return of Ash's to make them evolve.
- Gigalith: MAYBE Ash and Goh will make their respective Boldores to evolve by trading.
- Zorua: Another good capture for Ash.

+ Kalos:
- Tyrunt: Ash definitely needs to capture one of these.
- Pancham: Another potencial capture for Ash, as reference to Serena.
- Litleo: Ash befriended one in the past, so it could return.
*Greninja: It doesn't appear here, but Ash's Pokemon definitely has to return.

+ Alola:
- Rowlet: I would want Ash's returning getting rid of the Everstone and finally evolving.
- Toucannon: I have doubts about this one for Ash. I don't know.
- Vikavolt, Turtonator, Alolan Vulpix: I know they can be references to the Pokemon of Ash's gang, but Ash could still have one of them for himself. Vikavolt and Alolan Vulpix the main ones.

+ Galar:
- Orbeetle: This is the only one I see fitting for Ash.
......so basically you think ash will catch all of these.

prepare yourself for disappointment my friend. Ash isn’t Go.

TomRC121991

OK, about these pictures. I admit some of the Pokemon can be random, but it's obvious there has to be spoilers hidden too, as many of the Pokemon we see match with captures made by both, Ash and Goh. Some others also make reference to Koharu and other characters.

1º) Let's start with the tiny image:
+ Pikachu, Darkrai, Cresselia and Sirfetch'd: No need to analyze.
+ Sinnoh's Starters: Goh already captured the three starters from Galar, so maybe these will be distributed between Ash, Goh and Koharu. Ash will get the one he doesn't have, Piplup. Turtwig and Chimchar could be with Goh and Koharu. Since Grookey doesn't seem to have a fighting style, maybe Goh will get Turtwig.
+ Luxray and Shinx: Luxray can be a reference to Volkner, and personally, I would like Ash getting a Shinx. Not only because that Luxio he befriended back in Sinnoh, but also as a reference to one of his journey partners, Clemont.
+ Rolycoly, Carkol and Coalossal: I want to see this as a potential capture for Ash. Especially remembering the Coalossal he protected from the mad people during the Eternatus' arc.
+ Galar Ponyta: I wanted Ash to get this Pokemon too, but I guess it means Koharu will be the one to get it.

2º) About the bigger pictures, the first one is clearly a promo for the remakes of Sinnoh, with all the Pokemon from that Generation. Even so, it could have some clues, like maybe Goh's Misdreavus evolving to Mismagius. The second one, however, MIGHT have hidden spoilers of future events, considering many of them are between the ones that are already regular in the anime. I'm going to mention the ones that call my attention the most:

+ Kanto:
- Pidgeot: I hope this could mean the return of Ash's Pokemon.
- Butterfree: Yeah, yeah, I know, it can be Goh's, but since it doesn't have much role in general, can you blame me with dreaming about Ash's Butterfree returning?

+ Jonhto:
- Tyranitar: Definitely, Ash's Larvitar returning and evolved.
- Starters: I would like Ash's would return and evolve further, especially Totodile.
- Togepi: Ash found Togepi's egg originally, and Togetic can use Aura Sphere (Aura Power) just like Lucario. So, why not?

+ Hoenn:
- Torchic: I would like Ash to have a Blaziken too.
- Metagross: I don't know why, but I always this Pokemon as one potential capture for Ash.
- Corphish: Ash's could return? It would be a good time to make it evolve to Crawdaunt.

+ Sinnoh:
- Empoleon: The Sinnoh starter Ash is lacking. He has to catch one.
- Shinx: Another potential capture for Ash.
- Garchomp: it could mean Cynthia's return, but I would like Ash's Gible returning and evolving.
- Mime Jr: Someone (Ash, Goh or Koharu) could get one and evolve it into a Galarian Mr Mime and then into a Mr Rime.

+ Unova:
- Starters: I would appreciate the return of Ash's to make them evolve.
- Gigalith: MAYBE Ash and Goh will make their respective Boldores to evolve by trading.
- Zorua: Another good capture for Ash.

+ Kalos:
- Tyrunt: Ash definitely needs to capture one of these.
- Pancham: Another potencial capture for Ash, as reference to Serena.
- Litleo: Ash befriended one in the past, so it could return.
*Greninja: It doesn't appear here, but Ash's Pokemon definitely has to return.

+ Alola:
- Rowlet: I would want Ash's returning getting rid of the Everstone and finally evolving.
- Toucannon: I have doubts about this one for Ash. I don't know.
- Vikavolt, Turtonator, Alolan Vulpix: I know they can be references to the Pokemon of Ash's gang, but Ash could still have one of them for himself. Vikavolt and Alolan Vulpix the main ones.

+ Galar:
- Orbeetle: This is the only one I see fitting for Ash.
What about Salamence

Panky..

Discord: Panky..#9281
......so basically you think ash will catch all of these.

prepare yourself for disappointment my friend. Ash isn’t Go.
He never said anything about Ash catching all of them. It's his personal preference on what Ash may catch next with his opinion on each.

I personally, and once again, stick to Tyranitar (Johto Larvitar) and older sister Gardevoir.

Rune Knight

My whole thing with the starters evolving or not evolving... Well, you're all sick of me saying it by now, but I'll say it again. Characterization. I care more about a Pokémon's characterization than whether evolving makes sense or whether they can kick more ass by evolving.

Like, compare Totodile to Infernape. Totodile has nothing to gain from evolving. Totodile's endlessly happy dancing isn't framed as a serious flaw in their character that needs to be overcome. It's framed as just part of their personality, and unless you plan on doing a character arc where sudden personality changes make it harder to train them, don't bother. Just keep them as they are, and just treat them like their evolved forms in battle. By contrast, Infernape's whole arc was about dealing with its trauma and learning to control its power, and evolving to both better control that power and to better represent that it's growing up and moving on from weak little Chimchar is the best way to handle that.

Same deal with Goh's starters. Goh's Raboot starting to give Goh the cold shoulder after evolving because it wanted to battle while Goh didn't and Drizzile wanting to be alone out of depression because it wanted to evolve straight into Inteleon? That's fine. Those are character flaws and conflicts that necessitate Goh and his Pokémon growing and changing to overcome, and evolving is the best way to symbolize that.

But Grookey doesn't have anything like that. It hasn't shown a deep love for battling, or that it has any interest in evolving, or... Any real interests at all that could change or be thrown off by evolving. There is nothing to work with characterwise for Grookey. So I say leave the little monkey as a little monkey. Nothing will change.

I think that while some evolutions were directly aimed to character growth, some were merely just in response to the popularity of the Pokémon.

Though it was early on in the show, Charizard's evolution was likely purely out of popularity. Sceptile was probably a bit of both. Infernape was purely due to characterization like you said.

Some evolutions in my opinion served no purpose in the long run but also didn't really hurt the series; Bayleef, Pignite, and I think Torterra though it can be argued that it didn't benefit it at all.

Sometimes, popularity can fall in line with character growth; Greninja and Cinderace.

Torracat in my opinion had the most thought going into it, as it was kept the way it was until the very end, until it defeated Kukui's Incineroar as a Torracat.

Personally, I don't see a motive for Drizzile evolving into an Inteleon aside from popularity. Instead, I think that it would benefit by staying as it is and learning to accept itself.

Grookey can be either or. I want it to stay as an innocent Grookey and perhaps develop through a one-time confrontation with a more stoic Thwakey.

D

Deleted member 384931

I start to hate that Grookey. I never been so annoyed with a starter. I could bare Piplup, Oshawott, Chespin and Rowlet. I know it is a monkey pokemon, but can it do anything except causing trouble?

Pikachu111213

Traveler
He never said anything about Ash catching all of them. It's his personal preference on what Ash may catch next with his opinion on each.

I personally, and once again, stick to Tyranitar (Johto Larvitar) and older sister Gardevoir.
Definitely agree that he should get Tyranitar (and oc it be the Larvitar from Johto). Ngl I can’t see him with Gardevoir at all though...and not because it’s feminine. I think maybe I just have a hard time seeing him with psychic types...

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
After Mr. Mime was retconed as his, I don’t think that’s so hard to see Ash with a psychic type. Things like grumpig, orbeetle, medicham or meowstic looks more fitting to him than gardevoir, in terms of popularity, who knows?
Mr. Mime was always Ash’s. Issue is that it was originally never fully confirmed if it was his, it was just assumed it was his mom’s.

Last edited:

Megapixel

Mr. Mime was always Ash’s. Issue is that it was never fully confirmed if it was his, it was just assumed it was his mom’s.
the official anime account confirmed a year and a half ago that Mr mime was caught by ash in the first few seasons and left him with his mother to help her with the House

Status
Not open for further replies.