• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decidueye23

Eh doesnt matter. Either way she will be there to lose to one of the other competitors. No way is ash battling her again especially with alain cynthia and leon in the tournament.

Zweilous

Go-ing for Gold
Iris could have battled higher-ranked opponents, got a higher rank push in her final Super Rank battle, be granted more matches to allow her to catch up (which would make sense - the lower-ranked trainers would need more matches to catch up, or they're screwed by nature of the system), or some other way. It doesn't invalidate Ash's journey or ruin canon.

Not that I think they thought of it too deeply. This show regularly makes big, dramatic changes for the sake of the story or making things more exciting. Like when Sawyer went from having like one Badge when Ash had 6, to having all 8 Badges before he even met Wulfric. Or mediocre trainers suddenly gaining Mega Evolution in time for the League. Or an established trainer having a whole team of Eeveelutions, despite the species never before being seen in the region. Or Mallow randomly meeting and getting a Shaymin in like the last five minutes of an episode.

I think the "It's a kid's show, it doesn't have to make sense" argument is dumb, but there's a difference between big plot holes, and small story elements that don't need to be explained in detail because it's unimportant and boring to the target audience.

tsunamimijumaru

Iris could have battled higher-ranked opponents, got a higher rank push in her final Super Rank battle, be granted more matches to allow her to catch up (which would make sense - the lower-ranked trainers would need more matches to catch up, or they're screwed by nature of the system), or some other way. It doesn't invalidate Ash's journey or ruin canon.

Not that I think they thought of it too deeply. This show regularly makes big, dramatic changes for the sake of the story or making things more exciting. Like when Sawyer went from having like one Badge when Ash had 6, to having all 8 Badges before he even met Wulfric. Or mediocre trainers suddenly gaining Mega Evolution in time for the League. Or an established trainer having a whole team of Eeveelutions, despite the species never before being seen in the region. Or Mallow randomly meeting and getting a Shaymin in like the last five minutes of an episode.

I think the "It's a kid's show, it doesn't have to make sense" argument is dumb, but there's a difference between big plot holes, and small story elements that don't need to be explained in detail because it's unimportant and boring to the target audience.
This is true. When Ash beat her he ranked up to 99 so literally the bottom of the Ultra Class and then didn't have another battle until 12 eps later. Since you can go around and challenge whoever in the lower classes Iris could have ranked up to the Ultra Class herself and taken the rank of someone else who lost.

tsunamimijumaru

I don't think Ash deserves to be in master 8. He lost against Bea twice and as we all know, losing a match means you cannot ever hope to reach master 8 because schedule and what not. I think it really hurts the worldbuilding.
He lost the first battle and tied in the second. Although I never saw the point of two random trainers beating him throwing him back to normal class and then ranking him back up offscreen and just making the Korrina win a bit pointless.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Eh doesnt matter. Either way she will be there to lose to one of the other competitors. No way is ash battling her again especially with alain cynthia and leon in the tournament.

I don't think that M8 list is correct. Iris was so far behind that being above Ash (who hasn't lost a single battle in the last episodes) wouldn't make any sense. The writers would be ****ing their own canon by having people jump ranks just because. Even if she is, she is not battling Ash again. She may be used to show another person clowning her or to show battles between M8 members they don't want Ash to fight against.

Isn’t everybody there losing for the most part? Why do people say this like it means she’s a weak Champion or a “gotcha” moment when that’s the entire point of the M8 with Ash in it? “Either way” that’s probably gonna happen to a lot of them which possibly includes Cynthia. Is this how you guys are possibly copping with the news?

How was she so behind Ash when her ranking was never revealed? Explain please.
Whataboutism/Strawman 10/10.

You’re really upset you were possibly wrong about this weren’t you?

Last edited:

Sham

The Guardian of War
Nope, the other guy completely misrepresented and took the argument out of context (regardless of intentional or not), compared two different scenarios (a regular Super class loss (and a tie which he called a loss) which he bounced back from long before the Iris battle compared to a Win that instantly took him into a tier where matches are hard scheduled and where his progress was already rushed as is), which is what a strawman is. And a strawman is automatically null and void as an argument.
or or he pointed out the irony. Why couldn’t she bounce back from that?

Sham

The Guardian of War
By bringing up an invalid comparison strawman?

I'm already miffed at how fast Ash was progressed (even off-screen), but somehow Iris progressing from behind him and at a faster rate, should be fine?
Because if he did it then she could do it. All of this goes back into a full circle of “Why did Iris get a full pseudo before Ash!”

And it’s basically saying that Ash’s friend (particularly Iris let’s not forget that) isn’t allowed to do better than him even if both of the situations makes no sense.

I’m not saying she is there or if she isn’t because it’s undetermined but like I was saying before this leak was revealed: it isn’t that weird. And people are only making it seem so out of bias and the fact they are not fond of her and that’s okay but don’t make it seem like her presence there is ruining the fabric of time lol

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
You already know that the "Iris shoudn't be in M8" crowd is not arguing in good faith because they are using worldbuilding as an excuse in ****ing JN. Like the show where Ash travels everywhere at a whim, his pokemon don't train much yet are super strong, where Goh catches every pokemon without battling, where gym leaders are ranked higher than literal champions in PWC. Somehow Iris progressing faster than Ash is what breaks their suspension of disbelief.

Mate, worldbuilding wasn't your problem anyways.

Sham

The Guardian of War
A bunch of you guys need to just come out of the closet as Iris haters. The “it doesn’t make any sense” is far beyond this because if that wasn’t the case your coping wouldn’t of been “well dur shez losing anywayz” like that’s only her.

People are steaming about a leak that isn’t even confirmed from some guy who rarely exposes anime leaks.

People are just mad and upset all of those years that dizzy people were saying “she’s so unpopular and that’s why the creators are never bringing her back” during XY was untrue and now she’s a Champion, in a bunch of openings, in (possible) multiple episodes and possibly one of the strongest trainers and it’s pinching a nerve.

Last edited:

Sham

The Guardian of War
The whole argument is dumb, shut up about Iris being in the Masters 8 already, we needed Unova representation, she's the champion now and Anime Alder is a clown
And if you bring this up you’re a delusional fan (even twitter stans were being called this) as if half of the people that fans wanted here wasn’t a huge delusion. All of this hoopla over a leak that could be wrong. I know you like JN (but this applies to the anime as well), but out of all of the non logical things that has happened before and after and THIS is where you draw the line? You can’t tell me there isn’t any underlying vitriol. Like somehow Alder and Tobias deserved to be here first? Like huh?

Anyway thanks for being the voice of reason.

BlazingAsh

I find it weird that the final battle before the masters 8 tournament is the one where Ash gets into the masters 8. They could have given us a masters 8 battle with Ash before the tournament. I guess they're running out of time.
So I guess Ash is only going to battle Alain, Cynthia and Leon in the masters 8.

Rikerran

I find it weird that the final battle before the masters 8 tournament is the one where Ash gets into the masters 8. They could have given us a masters 8 battle with Ash before the tournament. I guess they're running out of time.
So I guess Ash is only going to battle Alain, Cynthia and Leon in the masters 8.
I don't know what you mean, the Raihan battle is both the final Ultra Class battle and the entry to Masters 8.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
I don't know what you mean, the Raihan battle is both the final Ultra Class battle and the entry to Masters 8.
Their saying ash should’ve gotten to master rank faster, and not this convenient ‘last chance’ bs to ramp up the tension that doesn’t really exist because we know they can’t fail him mow. Since aside from making the results of the fights more unclear, the time between ash getting to master M8 and the cut-off point could’ve been used for ash to challenge the ones he won’t be able to face in the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.