• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call me crazy, but I seriously wish Pikachu could have a training arc before the finals. Like maybe Ash hears about the Move Rememberer guy and goes to him so Pikachu can relearn Volt Tackle for his own boost in the Masters Eight.
*Electro Ball

DayQuil95

Call me crazy, but I seriously wish Pikachu could have a training arc before the finals. Like maybe Ash hears about the Move Rememberer guy and goes to him so Pikachu can relearn Volt Tackle for his own boost in the Masters Eight.
There are implications that more advanced trainers are capable of freely swapping around their mons' movesets, as shown by Leon's Charizard, but I don't think they have thought that far ahead to the point of using that as an arc for Ash. Still would be pretty damn cool to see him alternate between the three main electrical moves of his, so he could have:
Volt Tackle - A powerful finisher to be used in power struggles.
Electro Web - Great for different out-of-box strategies that Ash is great at doing.
Electro Ball - Thunderbolt 2.0 Fast ranged move.

Decidueye23

Isn’t everybody there losing for the most part? Why do people say this like it means she’s a weak Champion or a “gotcha” moment when that’s the entire point of the M8 with Ash in it? “Either way” that’s probably gonna happen to a lot of them which possibly includes Cynthia. Is this how you guys are possibly copping with the news?

How was she so behind Ash when her ranking was never revealed? Explain please.

You’re really upset you were possibly wrong about this weren’t you?
I never said i have a problem with her being in the masters 8. Infact i ve been saying it from the start that she should have been in the masters 8 INSTEAD OF BEING A SUPERCLASS challenger. I was just replying to people saying they dont think iris should be there because narratuvely it makes little sense considering Ash advanced before her, that itbdoesnt matter at this point because she wont be battling Ash, so her being there just like Steven Lance etc is just to fill up spaces and make the tourney.

situationuk

Also tbh, I wouldn't mind Tobias :p
I mean he is strong, and I want atleast some resolution to him even though he was a plot device, even if Ash beats alain, Cynthia and Leon, he will always remain the biggest what if in the anime
Alain or Tobias it's an interesting debate. I think that the defeat at Kalos League was more resonating worldwide and it's the primary wound that the writers are trying to heal.

Tobias was also a huge backslash but I think it's a concern that mostly exists in the Western fandom, while the Japanese fans (whose opinion is more important because of ratings) will be "happier" if Ash (and Greninja) has a revenge against Alain.

But yes, even if Ash conquers the entire tournament, like you said it will always remain as a big "what if". We could assume that Tobias was defeated in the Sinnoh's Champions League, so he could be weaker than Flint and Cynthia, but there's no proof about that.

Rikerran

Tobias is not really a character and only appeared 12 years ago, this no point for his character to ever be shown. He had no backstory (how he captured Darkai and Latios we'll never know), and as far we know the rest of his team may have been legendaries too.

Obviously at some point Cynthia defeated him since he never became champion of Sinnoh anyway.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I'm all for Unova representation, I mean it was home to my favorite freaking game until Legends took that away. Hopefully Legends Full Dragon can restore that!
I just find Iris being in the top 8 unfair, not to Ash but to the other companions. Why on earth are May and Dawn still 'Coordinators' and not Top Coordinators? How come Gary isn't Professor Gary Oak yet?(Brock's officially a doctor so why not?) How come Cilan isn't S ranked? How come Kiawe isn't Kahuna? Where is Lillie's dad?(Remember when we foolishly thought we'd see it? lol) It just feels like blatant favoritism if Iris is in the top 8, much like how Lana got all the spotlight and constantly outshined Kiawe in SM while Soph, Lillie and Mallow's development and goals were afterthoughts.

Brandon and/or Palmer should really be there. I'm not interested in seeing Iris there or Alain, I still hate that edgelord. I don't hate Iris anymore but she served her purpose, Ash beat her and if she was in the Master 8 then it's obvious she is canon fodder for either Leon or Cynthia. I'm really hoping that the M8 works in a way that Ash can battle most if not all to at least make his win feel more earned, will his only opponents be Paul, Cynthia(Pretty obvious with how they built up her team, she's obviously facing him) and Leon? Paul and Cynthia are some of my favorite characters but only three prominent battles feels a bit lackluster, well unless they're all six on six and two parters... but that feels like a mighty tall ask for Journeys "Lol one on one to prove whose better in Ultra Class!" Marnie deserved better!

Rikerran

Iris should at least get a good battle before she inevitably goes down. At least she has the prestige of making it to the top 8 trainers of the world currently.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Iris isn't even going to battle Ash again. She's likely going to job to Cynthia or Leon.

Personally though, I believe the riddler dude's leak. Alain's basically already been confirmed by the Chinese leaker.
Not to mention the “random” ZardX in that figure set, it’s almost definitely going to appear, most likely with Alain..

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
I'm all for Unova representation, I mean it was home to my favorite freaking game until Legends took that away. Hopefully Legends Full Dragon can restore that!
I just find Iris being in the top 8 unfair, not to Ash but to the other companions. Why on earth are May and Dawn still 'Coordinators' and not Top Coordinators? How come Gary isn't Professor Gary Oak yet?(Brock's officially a doctor so why not?) How come Cilan isn't S ranked? How come Kiawe isn't Kahuna? Where is Lillie's dad?(Remember when we foolishly thought we'd see it? lol) It just feels like blatant favoritism if Iris is in the top 8, much like how Lana got all the spotlight and constantly outshined Kiawe in SM while Soph, Lillie and Mallow's development and goals were afterthoughts.
Cilan hasn't even (physically) appeared in the show yet. How do we know he's not S ranked?

solrocknroll

S-Class Indigo League Fan

Only one of these characters is a Champion in the games. I certainly think it’s disappointing that more companions don’t make more progress in their goals, but that’s not Iris’ fault. I can certainly see Cilan, May, and Gary reaching their heights. Kiawe and Dawn still have some ways to go I feel like.

Rikerran

I wonder if Dawn not being a top coordinator is a mandate. Like they could have just easily said Dawn won the Grand Festival and shown a brief flashback or whatever. I guess they don't want any of the main girls to win their main goal.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Couldn’t it be implied that May won a Grand Festival? I mean Serena’s explanation was somewhat confusing because she implied Chloe was wearing a dress of a person famous in Hoenn but they didn’t mention was it her version of Contests or Dawn’s.

When Dawn called her it she wasn’t far removed from competing in Hoenn contests but Serena started way after so since she’s familiar with May perhaps she won a GF in Hoenn.

Pkjoan

Pokemon Master
Idk man, I prefer Dawn as a coordinator. Not that May is bad, is just that Dawn is like the perfect companion. XY gang too.

In another light, why are people so mad about people not wanting Iris in the M8? She already lost to Ash, we don't need more battles with her and personally I would have preferred another person to make battles more interesting. And besides, she is probably jobbing anyways to either Cynthia or Lance.

Rikerran

In another light, why are people so mad about people not wanting Iris in the M8? She already lost to Ash, we don't need more battles with her and personally I would have preferred another person to make battles more interesting. And besides, she is probably jobbing anyways to either Cynthia or Lance.
Because she wouldn't be facing Ash again, so why does it matter? We can see one of Ash's friends battling other champions.

Illusio

No words, only rage
As a person said above, the anger is misplaced. Blame GF for knowingly making a traveling companion a Champion. It’s not like they couldn’t of chose a different person like Drayden or Banga.
Eh, making Drayden Champion makes no sense for his story and making a completely new character the Champion is even worse. The only characters that make sense to be Champion were Iris or Hilbert and Hilda and they chose her.

And no, I still blame the anime writers. She's been Champion in the games for eight years and she didn't show up in Journeys until halfway through. They could've figured something out or gave her more episodes of focus and they gave her just one episode.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Eh, making Drayden Champion makes no sense for his story and making a completely new character the Champion would've went even worse. The only characters that make sense to be Champion were Iris or Hilbert and Hilda.
I think the point I was trying to convey was they didn’t HAVE TO make Iris the Champion knowing very well the anime would have to follow up with that. I wouldn’t even be surprised if her anime incarnation played a part in that.

Ironically it seems like Hilda/Hilbert had codes for a team so it probably was a possibility just scraped.

Cheren also could of been a good contender with some of the maturity he gained that was used towards him becoming a GL. That being said the anime making it clear she didn’t want to be a Gym Leader was setting this up. Why people are acting shocked that she’s possibly amongst the strongest trainersq in the pokeverse is odd.

solrocknroll

S-Class Indigo League Fan
Iris was always very naturally gifted, so I feel like ire for her is misplaced. We also haven’t seen her full team even though it seems likely that she has a full team, so they can do stuff from the games like Druddigon, Hydreigon, Aggron, Lapras, Archeops, or expand on her team with Garchomp and dragons from other regions. Ash beating her shouldn’t be a knock on her because Ash is unflinchable right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.