• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Again, it's not about making a show with no continuity or a show that can be watched in any order or a show where you can start watching with episode 130 and not feel like you missed anything. It's about writing a show where viewers can afford to miss the occasional episode and still be able to follow the show fine.
Ie the way 99% of Pokemon has always been written in the first place.

Xuxuba

Again, it's not about making a show with no continuity or a show that can be watched in any order or a show where you can start watching with episode 130 and not feel like you missed anything. It's about writing a show where viewers can afford to miss the occasional episode and still be able to follow the show fine.
Oh i mainly referred to continuity between series, doing stuff like bringing back the previous companions and pokémon. I am aware they are still gonna retain at least some continuity since they pretty much said they are not done with arcs, although i do believe they are gonna to up a notch the episodic aspect of the show since they felt the need to mention this.

Personally i wouldn't mind a self contained series, but it seems like a waste for the format.

Last edited:

Red and Blue

Gou is left handed, meaning he is automatically the best character. #leftiesunite

Dogasu handily summarised some of animedia interviews:

https://twitter.com/DogasusBackpack/status/1193095004891185152

- Apart from being left handed, Gou is meant to be a city boy with a pretty face who assesses the situation more calmly, in contrast to Ash being from the sticks and acting impulsively (so already, you can see conflict arising from this simple personality clash).

- Gou doesn't mind travelling alone. He also has a "bit of an ego", and the team are being careful not to have him come across as unlikeable.

- Dr. Sakuragi has an almost childish enthusiasm for research, which can embarrass Koharu.

- Rica Matsumoto was directed to play Ash "a bit younger" in Sun and Moon, but hasn't received such direction this time around. So perhaps there'll be less excitable screaming from Ash this time around.

- It seems there'll be a smaller cast, if only because the recording booth was crowded during SM and apparently it can get really hot in there.

- The most interesting part: Pokemon 2019 will have more self-contained stories and fewer two-parters and multi-episode arcs due to its new timeslot. As people tend to go out with family/friends on Sundays, they don't necessarily have the time to stay at home and watch every episode. To that end, this new series may be designed so that people can jump in with any episode. The episode titles released so far suggest this will be the case as well.

The last part sound goods to me, because Pokemon has always been excellent at telling self-contained stories. It has been by far its biggest strength as a show. Meanwhile, the longer-form story-telling has always been inconsistent. So I'm all for Pokemon playing to its strengths.

I speculated before about the new director and writers taking the series in a more character-driven direction, just based on their previous work. I think this format will help with that

I don't think we should assume this means the death of all arcs, either. There can still be character arcs; you just might not get a 13-episode epic like the Aether arc in SM or a huge multi-episode finale like the Alola League or the Team Flare arc.
A smaller cast is definitely the way to go. I only hope that Koharu gets decent development as the series goes on.

Also find it funny the recording studio during SM was crowded to the point of becoming hot :p

Rune Knight

Sorry I got off on a little tangent earlier. Like someone else pointed out, we were referring to the possible lack of continuity to previous iterations due to how obscure the show has been with it for the past years. It is speculation involving characters after all.

Personally, I don't have a problem with this series being more episodic than the lasts; what does bother me and a lot of people for that matter are the great lengths they go to in making continuity so obscure, especially now since they're involving previous regions.

And guys please don't take these comments personally, which I doubt most of you are but I felt saying it nevertheless. This is meant to be a friendly discussion over a kid's show after all.

ShadowForce720

You know looking at it considering that if you go back and look at the 1st opening for each generation starting with the gen 3 anime you will notice that the first opening tends to include some spoilers on Ash's and some of the other main characters teams with the only exception to this so far being the first BW opening. So we might wind up getting spoilers in the new opening as to what other pokemon Ash and Gou might wind up catching soon. Also here is how it breaks down in terms of spoilers for the 1st opening of each generation:

3rd Generation(aka Advance Generation)(1st opening: Advance Adventure): Ash catching a Treecko, and Taillow, Brock catching a Mudkip and Lotad, May obtaining a Torchic and catching a Beautifly(which she caught as a Wurmple), Jessie catching a Seviper, and James catching a Cacnea.

4th Generation(aka Diamond & Pearl)(1st opening: Together): Ash catching a Starly and Turtwig, Dawn obtaining a Piplup and catching a Buneary, James catching a Carnivine.

5th Generation (aka Best Wishes)(1st opening: Best Wishes!): No spoilers

6th Generation(aka X&Y)(1st opening: V (Volt)): Ash catching a Froakie and Fletchling, Clemont catching a Chespin, having a Bunnelby, and catching a Dedenne for Bonnie, Serena obtaining a Fennekin.

7th Generation(aka Sun & Moon)(1st opening: Alola!!): Ash catching a Rowlet, Rockruff, and Litten as well as obtaining a Rotom Dex, Mallow having a Bonsweet, Kiawe having a Turtonator and Charizard, Lana having a Popplio, Sophocles having a Togedemaru, Lillie obtaining a pokemon egg.

World Turtle

My one big hope is Ash's Galar team will include new/underused types.

Bug, Ice, Ghost, Psychic, Fairy

So yes Ash getting Frosmoth (Bug/Ice), Dreepy (Dragon/Ghost), and Galar Ponyta/Rapidash (Psychic/Fairy) would make me happy.

Last edited:

World Turtle

Somehow I feel they can make opening to be very vague. As there are so many regions, pokemons for them to show. They would love to keep us hanging. Still hoping for spoilers.

Maybe we'll see Ash running through the regions like on the poster waving hello to his Pokemon from Kanto to Alola as he passes bye before getting to Galar?

I like seeing Ash's Pokemon in the openings and endings.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
My one big hope is Ash's Galar team will include new/underused types.

Bug, Ice, Ghost, Psychic, Fairy

So yes Ash getting Frosmoth (Bug/Ice), Dreepy (Dragon/Ghost), and Galar Ponyta/Rapidash (Psychic/Fairy) would make me happy.
Don't forget the type that Ash never caught! Electric-type!

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Was meaning to ask this previously but what's with the Prof. Oak clone? Sakuragi? But you know what this anime reminds me of? The Pokemon movies. Entirely new characters being exclusive to the anime are the focus. A bunch of locations that look more closer to the classical-medieval architecture featured in movies. And of course, it seems anything that resemble the games is farther and farther away which isn't a bad thing. Anyone else getting Pokemon movie-vibes instead of TV-vibes?

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
So the preview special briefly showed all of the previous traveling companions. I feel like this has made it at least a bit more likely that they will be making appearances in this.

Oh and also there was a clip of Okido asking Satoshi how his journey to become a Pokémon Master is going, and he specifically singled out Wanpachi the Gen 8 'mon as being a Pokémon he hadn't seen before. Can we please just accept that this series is, in fact, in the same continuity as what has come before now?

JC317

So the preview special briefly showed all of the previous traveling companions. I feel like this has made it at least a bit more likely that they will be making appearances in this.

Oh and also there was a clip of Okido asking Satoshi how his journey to become a Pokémon Master is going, and he specifically singled out Wanpachi the Gen 8 'mon as being a Pokémon he hadn't seen before. Can we please just accept that this series is, in fact, in the same continuity as what has come before now?

I would love that, but the Road to Kalos special also showed his previous travelling companions, and look at how that turned out

Status
Not open for further replies.