• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
But... Is Go a common name in the US? I think you need to factor that.

Actually, in LGPE, the male player's name is Chase. The rival's name is Trace.

Really? I thought it was the opposite. So much "Chase" was the name I used for the rival. If I only knew lol

Henry's Journey

Ash's team in the first 9 episodes of previous regions:

Kanto: Pikachu, Butterfree, Pidgeotto
Johto: Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Charizard, Squirtle, Heracross
Hoenn: Pikachu, Taillow, Treecko
Sinnoh: Pikachu, Aipom, Starly, Turtwig
Unova: Pikachu, Pidove, Oshawott, Tepig, Snivy
Kalos: Pikachu, Froakie, Fletchling
Alola: Pikachu, Rowlet

Not always breaking patterns is a good thing, no, this time is horrible 9 or 10 episodes in and Ash has not catched anything new, so, so disappointing.

At this point it seems we should only speculate on Go's team.

World Turtle

So it occurs to me that with this world tour saga having Ash visit old regions and Ash being a research assistant this might be the perfect opportunity to give him some fossils. No not Galar's, but Tyrunt, Anorith, and either Shieldon or Archen.

ShadowForce720

Ash's team in the first 9 episodes of previous regions:

Kanto: Pikachu, Butterfree, Pidgeotto
Johto: Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Charizard, Squirtle, Heracross
Hoenn: Pikachu, Taillow, Treecko
Sinnoh: Pikachu, Aipom, Starly, Turtwig
Unova: Pikachu, Pidove, Oshawott, Tepig, Snivy
Kalos: Pikachu, Froakie, Fletchling
Alola: Pikachu, Rowlet

Not always breaking patterns is a good thing, no, this time is horrible 9 or 10 episodes in and Ash has not catched anything new, so, so disappointing.

At this point it seems we should only speculate on Go's team.

Not really, look just because the team changes aren't happening at the pace that you wanted doesn't mean that Ash isn't going to catch anything. I mean heck were not even half way through the series yet, so it is way to soon to be jumping to conclusions and trying to say that Ash won't catch anything for the entire series. Heck for all we know episode 8 could potentially turn out to be a capture episode for Ash, and other then episode 9 involving Ho-oh we really don't know that much about how that episode will actually go down, and we have no information at all on what episode 10 is.

I mean it seems like I have to point this out even though it should be obvious but this series is formatted pretty differently from past series, so whose to really say that episode 8 isn't a capture episode for Ash or that episode 10 or one of the following episodes isn't a capture episode for Ash. I mean if you look at past series within the first few episodes we would see the starters and quite a few of the new pokemon, and yet when it comes to this series out of the gen 8 starters we've only seen Scorbunny and we've barely seen any other gen 8 pokemon being Corviknight, Yamper, Nickit, and Wooloo, along with see a Gigantamax Snorlax. So given how the series seems to be working differently past series I think it's a bit to soon to be trying to jump to conclusions and assume that Ash isn't going to be getting any captures during this series or that we won't see his reserves at all, when were not even that far in.

So it occurs to me that with this world tour saga having Ash visit old regions and Ash being a research assistant this might be the perfect opportunity to give him some fossils. No not Galar's, but Tyrunt, Anorith, and either Shieldon or Archen.

They could also go the route of having Ash get a Omanyte, Kabuto, or Aerodactyl.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Konja7 said:
In the case of Go, I think it is pretty likely he mantains his name. After all, Go is the name of a popular game in USA too.

The name of Koharu will probably change.

I don't think that they'll keep Gou's Japanese name. I don't know what they could replace it with to make it sound more fitting for the dub, but I'm pretty sure that they'll change it to something less confusing for the Western audience.

Leonhart

Imagineer
World Turtle said:

I'm not against him getting Fossil Pokemon since he's overdue for one from my viewpoint, although I'm very picky when it comes to which one he should get. I wouldn't mind him getting one of the Gen VIII Fossils, or one of the Kanto ones. I'm just not a fan of Chigoras and its evolved form.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Remix2 said:
Why don’t they just keep there original names like every other anime dubs nowadays?

I've always thought that most of the Japanese names of the main characters change to make them easier to understand in the international versions of the anime. Although in cases like Dent's English name, I wonder if kids even understood what his name was supposed to be based on. In a perfect world all the main characters would keep their Japanese names, but that's a pipe dream for now.

Remix2

I've always thought that most of the Japanese names of the main characters change to make them easier to understand in the international versions of the anime. Although in cases like Dent's English name, I wonder if kids even understood what his name was supposed to be based on. In a perfect world all the main characters would keep their Japanese names, but that's a pipe dream for now.

Beside a few most of the name aren’t really that hard to pronouns, especially this series where I don’t think kids in America won’t have a hard time saying gou name.

Konja7

But... Is Go a common name in the US? I think you need to factor that.
Go is still an English word. I don't think all the English names in Pokemon are common in US.

I don't think that they'll keep Gou's Japanese name. I don't know what they could replace it with to make it sound more fitting for the dub, but I'm pretty sure that they'll change it to something less confusing for the Western audience.
Why Go is a confusing name?

ShadowForce720

The one from the upcoming episode? Why would he go all the way to Sinnoh to bring the Piplup back to its home if he was gonna catch it in the end anyways?

Because taking Piplup back to Sinnoh is not the main plot of episode 8, the main plot of episode 8 is helping the Piplup win the race against Croagunk, as the whole Piplup being lost thing was only introduce as a way to allow Ash and Go to meet the Piplup in Kanto and then go to Sinnoh rather then trying to fabricate some other reason for Ash and Gou to go to Sinnoh just for one episode just to meet a Piplup. It's not that hard to understand that if Ash helps the Piplup train and bonds with it as he helps it to prepare to win the race that it might decide afterwards to join his team.

Also back during Sun and Moon during Rowlet's capture episode Ash took Rowlet back to it's nest and when he saw it had a family he decide to leave Rowlet there but then Rowlet choose to go with him, one could make the argument why did Ash bring Rowlet back to it's nest if he was just going to capture it. At this point your focusing way to much on the whole detail of Ash taking this Piplup back to Sinnoh as if that was the main plot of episode 8 which it is not.

World Turtle

I'm not against him getting Fossil Pokemon since he's overdue for one from my viewpoint, although I'm very picky when it comes to which one he should get. I wouldn't mind him getting one of the Gen VIII Fossils, or one of the Kanto ones. I'm just not a fan of Chigoras and its evolved form.

That's fair. I mostly just want Ash to get a 6th Hoenn and Kalos Pokemon. And I figure being a Professor's research assistant could get him access to fossils.

I don't want Ash to get Galar Fossils unless they correct their bodies in a sequel game. Their existence is pain for them. It'd feel wrong for Ash to make them battle.

And I don't want Ash to get any more Kanto Pokemon period. The other regions need love!

Leonhart

Imagineer
Konja7 said:
Why Go is a confusing name?

Because some of the younger English-speaking viewers might have trouble differentiating between the name Gou and the word "go" when used in a sentence without direct context clues. It's not really a problem in the Japanese version, but it might spring up in the English version if he keeps the same name.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
A new Pochama joining the cast might work because Pochama is such a popular and marketable species overall, although I have doubts that anyone will get the one from the future Shinou region episode. Frankly if we get Shinou remakes in Gen VIII, I'd rather see another Naetle in the cast instead of a Pochama, because Satoshi's Naetle was overshadowed by both Hikari's Pochama and Satoshi's Hikozaru in the DP saga.

Remix2

Because some of the younger English-speaking viewers might have trouble differentiating between the name Gou and the word "go" when used in a sentence without direct context clues. It's not really a problem in the Japanese version, but it might spring up in the English version if he keeps the same name.

If they have to charge it for whatever reason then gon will be the best option.

D

Deleted member 384931

Can there be any progressing expected from Gou by capturing pokémon? And hbu Ash?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I'm completly against Ash or Go getting Piplup, specially considering it was a pokémon owned by a former co-star.

Verity is fine because the movie is an AU and she is was a new character but for Ash or Go? No, thanks.

Leonhart

Imagineer
KenzeyEevee said:
Can there be any progressing expected from Gou by capturing pokémon? And hbu Ash?

Do you mean character progression? In Gou's case the more Pokemon he gets, the stronger he'll become I'm guessing and it also puts him one step closer to finding Mew again if he spends so much of his time searching for it in the wild. As for Satoshi, this may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't always view Satoshi's Pokemon as being directly influential as far as his own development is concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.