• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I wonder will Iris and Gary be appearing in the same episode. I mean Dawn got to meet three of Ash's rivals so an Iris and Gary interaction could be interesting. I wonder what it would be like and who would win if they battled.

You misunderstood my argument.
There's more to you than just flesh and bones, similarly there's more to battles than just strategies and animation. The rivalry between pokemon and their respective trainers, character motivations, stakes etc are important too and that is what i meant by 'substance'. A big part of what made Ash vs Paul so memorable is the friction between them. Both XY and SM fail to capture that level of unresolved tension and pressure.
Oh, when you meant " substance, " you were referring to the narrative behind what is happening? I'm sorry, I did misunderstand your point then since I've heard it referenced alongside the level of strategic competence in battle.

That makes sense, although I still disagree since I think Ash vs Sawyer had a lot of that and was incredibly good in my eyes, but Ash v Paul supersedes that rivalry.

XY/XYZ did have problems with this when it came to the Ash v Alain rivalry for sure. One of my biggest problems with XY/XYZ that goes alongside some significant problems I have with the League is that the Ash v Alain rivalry wasn't as narratively strong as it should have been in comparison to Ash v Sawyer and it makes the final lose a lot more weight and is generally pretty mediocre on a narrative level in my eyes.

Your point makes a lot more sense and I apologize for the misunderstanding. Deleted my post since it was unrelated.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
On the topic of Kangaskan,

I'd personally LOVE for her to meet Delia

Maybe she could hang around Delia's house and give her some company since Mimey seems to be spending more of his time at Sakuragi's Lab

I don't really need her back, but this would be the best way honestly. It would give her a 'friend' to have a bond with (both being mothers) and a surrogate child as far as the baby Kangaskhan is concerned.

I'd be totally fine with that if it happened, as long as Ash won't be using Kangaskhan four regions down the road as if she was caught by him all along.

On a totally unrelated note.. and it being the dreaded 'legendary-debate'.. I was going to say that I'd be fine if Ash caught a Moltres, since it's in the group that I think is acceptable at this point for him to catch and he isn't using a Fire-type on this team as of yet... but then I remembered that he already has Charizard and Talonflame as capable reserves at home - and IF he were to catch another Fire/Flying-type... Then yeah, I'd rather it be Ho-Oh at some point at the end of his run. So in terms of the 'legendary'-debate, I'm still guessing that if he needs one at this point, it will be Kubfu -> SingleStrike Urshifu. A Fighting-type, but it should likely focus on the Dark-typing more as it can't ignore Wicked Blow.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Just because Ash Vs Kukui wasn't a narrative built on opposing ideals doesn't mean it didn't have any substance or value behind the trainer's fighting. The entire SM saga heavily emphasised on Ash's relationship with Kukui, how they were alike, their bonding, Ash inspiring kukui to form a league, being his ideal student, taking down his old rival who wanted to destroy his dream, and finally facing the kid he's raised in Alola and watched him grow and all his alolan mons grow in an all out battle does have narrative. Sure it may not be high stakes since it is an exhibition battle and they aren't antagonistic to each other, but it's still thrilling to watch for others simply because of what those two characters represent to each other, are in a way similar. So there is narrative and substance behind Ash Vs Kukui, it's just vastly different from Ash Vs Paul. May not be your taste, fair, but doesn't mean it meant nothing

Morax

King of heroes
Just because Ash Vs Kukui wasn't a narrative built on opposing ideals doesn't mean it didn't have any substance or value behind the trainer's fighting. The entire SM saga heavily emphasised on Ash's relationship with Kukui, how they were alike, their bonding, Ash inspiring kukui to form a league, being his ideal student, taking down his old rival who wanted to destroy his dream, and finally facing the kid he's raised in Alola and watched him grow and all his alolan mons grow in an all out battle does have narrative. Sure it may not be high stakes since it is an exhibition battle and they aren't antagonistic to each other, but it's still thrilling to watch for others simply because of what those two characters represent to each other, are in a way similar. So there is narrative and substance behind Ash Vs Kukui, it's just vastly different from Ash Vs Paul. May not be your taste, fair, but doesn't mean it meant nothing
Ash vs Kukui is a microcosm of all my problems with SM. Forced humor and the lack of tension/stakes ruined it for me. Too light-hearted and boring.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
I wonder if Iris will have new Pokemon
I would think so. At least an evolution. Nearly every time a character returns they have a new team change since ash last saw them:

*Misty with Gyarados, then Azurill, then being able to mega her Gyarados
*Brock with being able to mega Steelix, then later Comfey
*May with Glaceon, Venusaur, and Wartortle
*Dawn with Quilava
*Mallow with the Shaymin leaving (a bit of a stretch albeit since it wasn’t on her official team, but I count it because it was used in the alola league)

Like I said this is most of the time, not consistent, but as long as Iris has been gone, it would suck if she didn’t have at least one new dragon (or Axew having evolved at least to fraxure)

charinija

Pokemon Master
They don't give Ash an overpowered legendary pokemon. If the zacian or zamazenta goes to Ash, Ash is invincible.

Kubfu or Latias is ideal for Ash.

Galarian Aritcuno is also nice but unlikely to get.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Ash vs Kukui is a microcosm of all my problems with SM. Forced humor and the lack of tension/stakes ruined it for me. Too light-hearted and boring.
Light hearted isn't a bad thing, maybe not to your taste but being light hearted isn't anything bad, as I just explained above why the battle did have an important narrative that made some people care for it. I don't recall any forced humor during the battle either

nickdt

I would think so. At least an evolution. Nearly every time a character returns they have a new team change since ash last saw them:

*Misty with Gyarados, then Azurill, then being able to mega her Gyarados
*Brock with being able to mega Steelix, then later Comfey
*May with Glaceon, Venusaur, and Wartortle
*Dawn with Quilava
*Mallow with the Shaymin leaving (a bit of a stretch albeit since it wasn’t on her official team, but I count it because it was used in the alola league)

Like I said this is most of the time, not consistent, but as long as Iris has been gone, it would suck if she didn’t have at least one new dragon (or Axew having evolved at least to fraxure)

All depends on Sinnoh remakes (Since then i can see her having Garchomp). If Rayquaza flew towards Hoenn in that one special, then i can also see her having an Aggron (Since its a Dragon looking Pokemon).

Status
Not open for further replies.