• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
My hunch is Goh's done with starters.

But I kind of wish he got a Torchic just for an episode with it tagging with Ash's Rowlett and Dawn's Piplup for the generational twist in the typical "starters get lost episode".

(I also love the symmetry of this hypothetical bird-esque starters)

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
Come on now, If Piplup joins we all know it's going to Chloe.

Given how marketable Piplup is, I doubt that they'll let it Evolve so I don't see it going to Ash.

Only way I see Goh getting Piplup is if they plan on having Grookey evolve and need another Starter to replace it as Goh's shoulder warmer.
(Someone please give that boy Jacket! His shoulder must always be cold if he needs 3-4 Starters to warm it)

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Piplup with Chloe? Eh.... I think I'd rather no one getting one, to be honest.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer

Given how marketable Piplup is, I doubt that they'll let it Evolve so I don't see it going to Ash.

Only way I see Goh getting Piplup is if they plan on having Grookey evolve and need another Starter to replace it as Goh's shoulder warmer.
(Someone please give that boy Jacket! His shoulder must always be cold if he needs 3-4 Starters to warm it)
I don't think that's going to happen until Koharu is promoted to the main cast, gets a goal, and gets a lot more screentime.

ShadowForce720

In all honesty Ash has just as much chance of getting Piplup as Chloe. Sure Piplup is a marketable Pokémon and in previous series you would probably be right it not evolving.

However given the fact that the current series has access to the entire roster of Pokémon and that Piplup evolving can easily be offset by a lot of other popular Pokémon getting caught.

So it’s entirely possible that Ash could get a Piplup that fully evolves into an Empoleon. At this point the only thing being marketable does for Piplup is meaning that it will stay in it’s basic stage longer and only be in it’s middle stage for a brief amount of time before it winds up fully evolving into an Empoleon.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Dawn’s Piplup can stay as it already is while Ash catches a wild one and evolves it all the way into Empoleon.
Yeah that's why I want Ash to get Piplup. If Chloe got it well.... that'll be it. It'll remain Piplup due to her Pokemon being on the cute and marketable side. Eevee'll likely be the only member to actually get development, seeing how often she gets episodes and we're almost certainly going to get an episode revolved around each Eeveelution(Hopefully not and they'll just combine some like potentially Volkner's Jolteon into other episodes like Ash's PWC match or another meet up with Gary to avoid repetition, and so Chloe actually has episodes about non-Eeveelutions)

With Ash, you don't really see his Pokemon all that often. Riolu and Farfetch'd were really the only exceptions but that changed once they evolved, so Piplup won't appear too much. My guess is they'd push it for a bit much like Riolu and Farfetch'd, then evolve it and it gets sidelined before they evolve it again. It's not like SM or the older sagas where you saw his Pokemon in every episode or just about, I mean Lucario is literally one of the most popular Pokemon in existence and vastly outscales Piplup yet we hardly see him! So Piplup's not going to just change that if Lucario's not showing up every few episodes, it isn't the Rowlet/Oshawott case at all.
If Ash got Piplup I think it's safe to say it'll go all the way, especially if the Sinnoh starters have a new Mega or something to show off.

It'd be the ideal scenario going the Empoleon route too cause every Piplup acts the same... and Empoleon really didn't get that much screentime in DP. Paul and Ash had Torterra, Ash had Infernape, Barry had Empoleon but he appeared so late and didn't get many battle scenes with it.

I don't really think Goh's getting another starter, they'd surely have done that by now if he was given how much of a hard on the Kanto starters give staff and higher ups. I have a suspicion that they aren't allowed to treat starter Pokemon the way they do other Pokemon he gets, starter Pokemon always did get preferential treatment on the cast. Heck the same thing could apply to Pikachu hence why his evolved as fast as it did before falling into the void

Leonhart

Imagineer
"I want to catch Pokemon because it helps me understand them and somehow become closer to Mew" is as handwavy an explanation as one can get. Ironically, the series has shown us that Goh understood, studied and researched Pokemon better when he wasn't catching them.

I know that "Pokemon Master" is also a vague goal but at least that one has some clear cut paths leading to it that makes sense in context. The above doesn't.
How does the Pokemon Master goal have more "clear cut paths" when there's been no actual explanation on what it takes to become one? It's vague on purpose of course, which is why it's fitting as Satoshi's goal since it's flexible and the writers can wait as long as they want to nail down specifics.

I just personally feel that Gou becoming interested in a rare Mythical Pokemon and wanting to capture it for his own presumably selfish reasons still makes more sense than a vague goal with no clear endgame, because capturing Pokemon is such an integral part of the series.

nickdt

No way is Piplup evolving when it joins the main cast. There is a whole Project Piplup going on (Not a Project Chimchar or a Project Turtwig, but a Project Piplup), meaning its seen as the cutest base form of the gen 4 starters.

So i can only see it going to Goh or Koharu at this point.

ShadowForce720

No way is Piplup evolving when it joins the main cast. There is a whole Project Piplup going on (Not a Project Chimchar or a Project Turtwig, but a Project Piplup), meaning its seen as the cutest base form of the gen 4 starters.

So i can only see it going to Goh or Koharu at this point.
They can just have Piplup stay a Piplup for a while and then have it evolve into Prinplup around the time the DP remakes come out and then further evolve into a Empoleon.

If the Piplup goes to Ash or Goh it will probably fully evolve. Also considering the amount of Pokémon that are on the cast that they are able to use it means there are plenty of Pokémon that would easily offset Piplup evolving.

If this was past series you would have a point, however in the current series Piplup being the cutest of the base stages of the gen 4 starters doesn’t really mean anything.

Basically if a Piplup does wind up getting caught it evolving will be fair game.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Dunno if this means anything but....

Piplup, Buneary and Pachirisu...
Now who exactly do we know that owns all 3 of those Pokémon???

Could be Dawn, surely they'll be kicking it up with the BDSP/LA promotion soon!

There's also a Shinx. The Pre Evolved form of Luxio whom is the Pre Evolved form of Luxray....

And considering that we know for a fact that there's a Luxray coming to the Anime soon....

Almost definitely not connected with each other, the Luxray appearing is 99% Volkners and its already not a Shinx.. could just be a new capture for Goh or a new capture for Dawn if she appears..

Not to mention the explicitly Female Eevee (they almost always use Female Eevee when the merch is tied to the Anime)

Definitely there to symbolise Chloe's Eevee..

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Dawn or Ash with shiny Shinx, please. Goh can keep the normal one

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
Dawn or Ash with shiny Shinx, please. Goh can keep the normal one
I doubt Ash would catch any Electric Pokemon (not counting Rotom Dex/Rotom Phone).
Allowing a non-Electric type to learn an Electric move is already too much for the Writers, considering they only allowed it on 2 of his Pokemon yet (one of them didn't even properly use it, while the other one only stayed in the team for like 6 episodes), and both of them appeared in the same Saga.

This is technically why I often label this fandom as laughably hypocritical when they criticize lack of Ash focus.
Stop pretending that this fandom is made up of the same people

The same people who were complaining about the absolute focus on ash are not the same people who are now complaining about the focus on Goh. In addition, a balance is always important.

This is a very varied fandom. Republicans don't think the same as Democrats, and that's not why the entire United States contradicts itself ...

ShadowForce720

I doubt Ash would catch any Electric Pokemon (not counting Rotom Dex/Rotom Phone).
Allowing a non-Electric type to learn an Electric move is already too much for the Writers, considering they only allowed it on 2 of his Pokemon yet (one of them didn't even properly use it, while the other one only stayed in the team for like 6 episodes), and both of them appeared in the same Saga.
Considering that people use to say the same thing about the idea of Ash having a non Electric type Pokémon know an Electric type move, saying that it would somehow be too much for Ash to one of Ash’s non electric type Pokémon to know an Electric type move while he gets another Electric type Pokémon doesn’t really mean much.

Is it guaranteed that Ash will get another Electric type Pokémon during this series? No of course not, however considering the fact that this series has shown that it has no problems breaking patterns that some people were confident wouldn’t be broken, it means that Ash does have a chance of getting another Electric type Pokémon.

Heck if anything the fact that Ash had 2 non Electric type Pokémon that knew an Electric type move on top of the move being Thunderbolt would imply that the writers and people in charge of the anime are getting more comfortable with the idea of Ash getting another Electric type Pokémon.

Decidueye23

We had en episode where ASH did not even appear. The first time in the Anime's entire history. So i guess for what its worth they arent afraid to break trends. If they want ti give Ash another elec type they ll do it. I am hoping they'll go the toxtricity route, maybe even give him the lowkey form si that it doesnt co tradict with Pika's colors and focus on the poison typing as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.