• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Goh’s Golurk already serves that role in the lab, again Goh’s Cinderrace is more like Pikachu then Bulbasaur. It is Goh’s go to Pokémon, it is the only Pokémon out of all the Pokémon that he owns that he uses on the most consistent basis, in fact Cinderrace will be his only Pokémon that he uses in this upcoming arc. Every character that has been a previous companion that has a starter mon as their first Pokémon and partner such as May, Dawn, Serena, Lana didn’t replace their Pokémon or leave their Pokémon for another Gen starter of the same type and that’s why I can’t see Goh just leaving Cinderrace when it is first Pokémon and it will be the Pokémon that he uses if and when he catches Mew. Hopefully this series is longer then three years so they can show off even more Pokémon.
Golurk is too big to be everywhere and can’t possibly manage all the potential chaos at once especially given its potential to be nearly unstoppable if it goes beserk. Cinderace has also commonly be used as a defacto leader even when they’re not out traveling. Cinderace is obviously going to get the majority of the focus as his starter but because his most consistent Pokémon are the faces of the Gen; the starters.

Again, all of the companions you mentioned lasted one season so why would they need to replace them? Why would May need to replace her Blaziken if she was replaced with Dawn for DP? I can easily see him leaving it behind.

Ignition

What do you guys think would be the target Pokémon for the next Project Mew mission?
I have a feeling it may be something related to Jirachi considering the recent scans in some magazine showing Jirachi and other hoenn mons as well
I agree with Jirachi and also have two other ideas:
Mewtwo: Self explanatory
The Regis: It was mentioned that the Regis are something PM is actively seeking out. Plus there are 5 “basic” Regis for 5 Chasers. Also free Crown Tundra and DP remake promotion with the new Regis and Regigigas

Master Pikachu 11

Golurk is too big to be everywhere and can’t possibly manage all the potential chaos at once especially given its potential to be nearly unstoppable if it goes beserk. Cinderace has also commonly be used as a defacto leader even when they’re not out traveling. Cinderace is obviously going to get the majority of the focus as his starter but because his most consistent Pokémon are the faces of the Gen; the starters.

Again, all of the companions you mentioned lasted one season so why would they need to replace them? Why would May need to replace her Blaziken if she was replaced with Dawn for DP? I can easily see him leaving it behind.
That is my point they lasted one season because of their partners and it wouldn’t make sense to replace their partners because of all of the development and build up they had with their partners when they first started their respective seasons, so let’s agree to disagree. I still say the Goh and Mew plot will be resolved in this series and that he will go on to become a Pokémon Professor in training. This is my prediction so we shall see which prediction ends up being right at series end.

Ignition

That is my point they lasted one season because of their partners and it wouldn’t make sense to replace their partners because of all of the development and build up they had with their partners when they first started their respective seasons, so let’s agree to disagree. I still say the Goh and Mew plot will be resolved in this series and that he will go on to become a Pokémon Professor in training. This is my prediction so we shall see which prediction ends up being right at series end.
Their starters didn’t prevent them from going to another season. They easily could’ve have them take a relative backseat for a newer starter or promotional Pokémon if they wanted to use them. The anime has always prioritized the marketing first and foremost so this only proves my point. I don’t know why you’re making this a “bet” of which prediction is right as I continuously say that I don’t believe Cinderace is a sign for Go staying or not and that I don’t have a solid stance on if he’s going to stay for the next generation. You could’ve just left this at agree to disagree

AxelJade

Your rationalization for Goh leaving Cinderace, however, assumes that he can and will be carried over into the new generation, whatever that might end up being. And I've said my piece (though I'll happily repeat it if you want) as to why I don't think Goh will carry over. I think his story is fairly locked in to end in a specific way before he's ushered out of the story and replaced by another companion. And even if you don't buy that, it's also been stated earlier in this thread that Goh isn't nearly as popular in Japan anymore. Why? Because he catches too many Pokémon without any sort of emotional connections before or grander stories after, and he steals the spotlight away from Ash and Koharu.

I already think that Goh's drop in popularity due to those factors means that Goh's time in the anime is finite, and that he'll be ushered out and replaced before the question of how relevant Cinderace is can be asked. But even if I'm wrong and Goh does carry over into Gen 9 as a major character because the writers are going to preserve whatever story they want to tell instead of caving to fans, I still don't think Cinderace is going anywhere or getting any less focus. If Goh sticks around, then I think Cinderace would need to be the compromise to make fans happy. Goh stays, but Cinderace stays too to show that Goh does at least care about and understand the importance of keeping your first Pokémon around. By dropping off Cinderace at the lab because "lolz. Who cares about him anymore? It's time for some Gen 9 newness!", that's just going to further fuel the fires against Journeys in Japan. At which point, either Cinderace is going to be forced to return and given lots of screentime anyway, or Goh will be ushered out of the story by a replacement so fans stop complaining about him.

Ignition

Your rationalization for Goh leaving Cinderace, however, assumes that he can and will be carried over into the new generation, whatever that might end up being
Both of which are possibilities regardless of what people feel about him.
.And I've said my piece (though I'll happily repeat it if you want) as to why I don't think Goh will carry over. I think his story is fairly locked in to end in a specific way before he's ushered out of the story and replaced by another companion.
I’ve read it and I doesn’t influence my opinion on his chances like most people’s theories and stances.
And even if you don't buy that, it's also been stated earlier in this thread that Goh isn't nearly as popular in Japan anymore. Why? Because he catches too many Pokémon without any sort of emotional connections before or grander stories after, and he steals the spotlight away from Ash and Koharu.

I already think that Goh's drop in popularity due to those factors means that Goh's time in the anime is finite, and that he'll be ushered out and replaced before the question of how relevant Cinderace is can be asked. But even if I'm wrong and Goh does carry over into Gen 9 as a major character because the writers are going to preserve whatever story they want to tell instead of caving to fans, I still don't think Cinderace is going anywhere or getting any less focus. If Goh sticks around, then I think Cinderace would need to be the compromise to make fans happy. Goh stays, but Cinderace stays too to show that Goh does at least care about and understand the importance of keeping your first Pokémon around. By dropping off Cinderace at the lab because "lolz. Who cares about him anymore? It's time for some Gen 9 newness!", that's just going to further fuel the fires against Journeys in Japan. At which point, either Cinderace is going to be forced to return and given lots of screentime anyway, or Goh will be ushered out of the story by a replacement so fans stop complaining about him.
You lost me at the supposed popularity of Go’s character in Japan. Unless I see some credible evidence from Japanese fans, I refuse to take any supposed feelings from people with obvious biases against him. I hear a lot about the Japanese fanbase’s thoughts but the most I see is a handful of tweets.

YelST

Mitsuha Yamano Fan Account
We've established by this point that Ash (and sometimes other) captures tend to coincide with events in PoGO.

Ash-Greninja, according to the latest mine, is being implemented in PoGO.

I imagine Mega Lucario and Ash-Greninja are both on their way, with ML presumably ready to be pushed.

UnovaMaster

I think Ash popularity is an American only thing, and the Japanese fans likely hate Ash

I mean think about it, all these time slot changes are because of Ash hurting the ratings, and now Goh is making the series popular again

AxelJade

Both of which are possibilities regardless of what people feel about him.

I’ve read it and I doesn’t influence my opinion on his chances like most people’s theories and stances.

You lost me at the supposed popularity of Go’s character in Japan. Unless I see some credible evidence from Japanese fans, I refuse to take any supposed feelings from people with obvious biases against him. I hear a lot about the Japanese fanbase’s thoughts but the most I see is a handful of tweets.
On Amazon Prime Video Japan, Journeys currently sits with around a 2.5 out of 5 rating. The ratings are mostly either perfect 5 star ratings or abysmal 1 star ratings. That, alone, doesn't prove anything. Where things get interesting is when you actually use a translator to read what these different Japanese fans are saying in their reviews. While you still get the expected "this is great!" or "this is terrible!" responses with no explanation whatsoever, a general trend seems to form for both the high and low reviews the more you read them.

The high reviews for Journeys mostly come from newer Pokémon fans or the parents of newer Pokémon fans. Kids and parents giving Pokémon a chance for the first time with Journeys and falling in love. These high reviews also express surprise at the negative reviews because, again, these are first time Pokémon fans that immediately like Journeys and don't understand what came before to compare it to.

By contrast, the negative reviews seem to have three very constant critiques show up. 1, that they don't like Goh (some reviews saying that Goh makes them uncomfortable) for overfishing his Pokémon, not forming a bond with most of them, and also not using most of them. 2, that Goh takes the spotlight away from Ash and Koharu, stifling their development. And 3, that Journeys as a whole seems to lack a solid and obvious story structure, which makes it harder for fans to get invested or see a point to everything.

If you don't trust my words alone due to my obvious bias, I recommend a video posted by PokémonRangerBoy12. Titled "Japan Hates Pokemon Journeys THIS MUCH?!". He actually uses screenshots of these various reviews, and does try to present himself from a more neutral place than I'm presenting myself. But rest assured that I am not pulling these facts out of midair when I say these things about Goh.

MartínK

I think Ash popularity is an American only thing, and the Japanese fans likely hate Ash

I mean think about it, all these time slot changes are because of Ash hurting the ratings, and now Goh is making the series popular again

Sorry to burst yout bubble but Ash is top 19 in the best male character grand prixe in the Animedia magazine while Goh doesn't appear at all

Risrhayne

Are we gonna get a new OP soon? I’m tired of seeing Lucario take up a sizable chunk of the current one when they actually rarely appear in the show…

AxelJade

If Goh is making the series more popular, I can assure you that it's not because he's actually a more popular character. It's more likely because Goh is a controversial and divisive character, so people are tuning in to see where he could possibly go next. Love him or hate him, you can't help but want to see where the show is taking him. And after seeing it, you're either going to praise it or deride it to friends or on social media. Either way, that inevitably pulls in more people to start watching the series so that they can see for themselves if the crazy stuff people are saying about Goh is true. Those people draw their own opinions and, again, has those people texting friends or going online to either praise or complain about Goh. Rinse and repeat.

If you like Goh, that's fine. You do you. He doesn't work for me, but he works for you. That's fine. But I can assure you right now that if Goh is making the series more popular, it's not because Goh himself is popular.

I’m gonna start a fire.

#AshNeedsToRetire

Please don’t attack, I promise I won’t do this again......I promise! xD
I'll see your fire and start one of my own. Because pyromania is fun.

#GohNeedsToGo

And that's also where I'm gonna stop unless I have deeper insight. XD

We've established by this point that Ash (and sometimes other) captures tend to coincide with events in PoGO.

Ash-Greninja, according to the latest mine, is being implemented in PoGO.

I imagine Mega Lucario and Ash-Greninja are both on their way, with ML presumably ready to be pushed.
Is PoGo Pokemon Go? Is Ash-Greninja seriously being implemented there? How credible is the information?

On Amazon Prime Video Japan, Journeys currently sits with around a 2.5 out of 5 rating. The ratings are mostly either perfect 5 star ratings or abysmal 1 star ratings. That, alone, doesn't prove anything. Where things get interesting is when you actually use a translator to read what these different Japanese fans are saying in their reviews. While you still get the expected "this is great!" or "this is terrible!" responses with no explanation whatsoever, a general trend seems to form for both the high and low reviews the more you read them.

The high reviews for Journeys mostly come from newer Pokémon fans or the parents of newer Pokémon fans. Kids and parents giving Pokémon a chance for the first time with Journeys and falling in love. These high reviews also express surprise at the negative reviews because, again, these are first time Pokémon fans that immediately like Journeys and don't understand what came before to compare it to.

By contrast, the negative reviews seem to have three very constant critiques show up. 1, that they don't like Goh (some reviews saying that Goh makes them uncomfortable) for overfishing his Pokémon, not forming a bond with most of them, and also not using most of them. 2, that Goh takes the spotlight away from Ash and Koharu, stifling their development. And 3, that Journeys as a whole seems to lack a solid and obvious story structure, which makes it harder for fans to get invested or see a point to everything.

If you don't trust my words alone due to my obvious bias, I recommend a video posted by PokémonRangerBoy12. Titled "Japan Hates Pokemon Journeys THIS MUCH?!". He actually uses screenshots of these various reviews, and does try to present himself from a more neutral place than I'm presenting myself. But rest assured that I am not pulling these facts out of midair when I say these things about Goh.
PRB12 sexualizes Serena and other Pokegirls and is loved by half of the Amourshippers and hated by the other half (including me)

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.

Referencing PRB12 lmao. Only idiots take that loser seriously in anything.

What would The Pokémon Writers do when it comes to their Pokémon Journeys being negatively reviewed by some minority of Pokémon fans?

AxelJade

PRB12 sexualizes Serena and other Pokegirls and is loved by half of the Amourshippers and hated by the other half (including me)
Referencing PRB12 lmao. Only idiots take that loser seriously in anything.
Whether or not he's loved or hated, I'm not gonna ignore a video that uses screenshots to show objective facts that aid my point. Particularly when the video I'm talking about is mostly just him reading the opinions of others and commenting on them.

Full disclosure, I don't agree with PRB12's opinions either. But I was raised to consider all opinions from all angles before forming my own opinion. So having his videos so that I can see another perspective on the Pokémon anime helps me inform my own opinion by giving me another perspective. Whether you want to take his perspective seriously or not.

Ignition

I appreciate that you gave me sources (except PRB12. He’s someone I’d rather not watch but I’ll do a quick scan through of what he brings) but to me this just says that’s he’s controversial and not that he’s not actively losing his fanbase. All of these complaints have been around since the beginning and I doubt they’ll ever leave the character. I don’t think you’re pulling things out of midair as I agree with some of these criticisms. I just don’t see anything that suggest his reception is lower as opposed to being more mixed especially when people here have repeatedly blown his reception out of proportion

Status
Not open for further replies.