• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risrhayne

I’m gonna start a fire.

#AshNeedsToRetire

Please don’t attack, I promise I won’t do this again......I promise! xD
Shooooot, I’m down for this as long as Goh isn’t taking the reins. I can just see it!

Ash wins the big thing, he goes home to Pallet Town and just takes care of his Pokémon at Oak’s and helps his Mom out. He has some weekly chats with Serena, watching her contests, and he spends his downtime chilling with Tracey. Maybe some big shot trainer from the big city comes in, hearing about THE Ash Ketchum and looks lowly upon what they think is a country bumpkin livin’ in the sticks of Kanto, only to get rightfully clapped.

Ten years have gone by and a kid from Alola named Lei is raring to go on his journey. The son of two professors, Lei is a genius who grew up with five Pokémon as his older siblings, but not just any five Pokémon, five Pokémon that belonged to THE Ash Ketchum. But he’s now a bit tired of being in everyone’s shadows, including Ash’s. To the shock of his parents, Lei forgoes exploring Alola to go the BLANK Region to create a name for himself.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
I appreciate that you gave me sources (except PRB12. He’s someone I’d rather not watch but I’ll do a quick scan through of what he brings) but to me this just says that’s he’s controversial and not that he’s not actively losing his fanbase. All of these complaints have been around since the beginning and I doubt they’ll ever leave the character. I don’t think you’re pulling things out of midair as I agree with some of these criticisms. I just don’t see anything that suggest his reception is lower as opposed to being more mixed especially when people here have repeatedly blown his reception out of proportion
I think charusharu also made a video about that topic, and even split it to a hate and love video iirc.

Honestly though, i still wouldn’t put that much weight on it given how hard it os to get a measure of popularity.

desdar300

I do know that PGO never took off as much in Japan as it did in the West.
PGO was so high in the West that the 3DS games shot up by millions ( XY was under BW but has since outsold it going from around 14m-16m+) .
In Japan no such thing happened until SWSH came out and that was far removed from the mania.

AxelJade

Shooooot, I’m down for this as long as Goh isn’t taking the reins. I can just see it!

Ash wins the big thing, he goes home to Pallet Town and just takes care of his Pokémon at Oak’s and helps his Mom out. He has some weekly chats with Serena, watching her contests, and he spends his downtime chilling with Tracey. Maybe some big shot trainer from the big city comes in, hearing about THE Ash Ketchum and looks lowly upon what they think is a country bumpkin livin’ in the sticks of Kanto, only to get rightfully clapped.

Ten years have gone by and a kid from Alola named Lei is raring to go on his journey. The son of two professors, Lei is a genius who grew up with five Pokémon as his older siblings, but not just any five Pokémon, five Pokémon that belonged to THE Ash Ketchum. But he’s now a bit tired of being in everyone’s shadows, including Ash’s. To the shock of his parents, Lei forgoes exploring Alola to go the BLANK Region to create a name for himself.
See, I can't get behind that. I feel like the whole "newer generation living in the shadow of the old" plot point has been done to death for years. Beast Wars: Transformers, Boruto: Naruto Next Generation, and Legend of Korra have all "been there, done that" with the whole affair. Gimme something different! And different, I can provide.

This is gonna seem like a strange comparison at first, and maybe it's just because I've got MistareFusion's "Donkey Kong Dissection" video on the brain, but have you ever played the Donkey Kong Country games on the SNES? They introduce a character into the Donkey Kong mythos called Cranky Kong. Cranky's role in the game is that he was meant to be the same Donkey Kong from the original arcade game. Aware that he's a video game character, and has become jaded towards the then-modern state of video games in the years between Donkey Kong 3 and Donkey Kong Country. So whether it's in the game itself or even in the instruction manual, Cranky regularly complains about Donkey Kong Country itself, accusing it of coasting on its graphics and having very little substance and accusing you, the player, of sucking just as bad for buying it.

The main purpose that served was to shut critics up. By having the game itself lampshade by calling out everything about it that critics could before the critics get the chance, those critiques lose all their power. If, and it's a big "if", Pokémon does finally decided to retire Ash as the main character, I think that keeping him around and using him in a manner similar to Cranky Kong, would work far better than another "next generation has to prove they can stand alone" storyline.

Make Ash older. Keep him around for a few generations as a Brock-like mentor to show how far he's come since the days of needing Brock to coach him. And make him shockingly stern and jaded. Anything about this replacement protagonist or the new storylines or just how the anime has generally changed itself without him that critics or older fans could complain about, Ash can complain about himself on-screen!

"Oh, you caught every Pokémon that wasn't in your PokéDex between the first three towns. Well, good for you, except now your team totally isn't ready for this first Gym."

"It's not even a tournament, and you're taking your starter off of your team?! Talk about heartless and uncaring."

"Aren't you going to try and actually get to know these Gym Leaders and other Trainers? No? Well, okay then, Scrooge."

And if you want to go the dramatic route and really want to have a storyline about Goh or Lei or whoever living in Ash's shadow, I guess you could combine the two ideas. Have the new main character constantly and consciously try to prove why and how Ash's various criticisms are wrong, or why they're valid but too dismissive or whatever. Further Ash's development by having him grow to see the merits in the new generation's approach. I guarantee that I would be a bigger fan of Goh if he and Ash more frequently asserted their different approaches to training against each other and worked to see the merit in each other.

But maybe all of that is just me. I don't know.

I like Goh...

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Back on topic:
How would you guys react if some of Gen 9 Pokémon will be introduced early in Pokémon Journeys (I don't know it works but still)?
Indifferent since it doesn’t exactly matter anymore. And they haven’t done this crap since Gen 5.

AxelJade

Back on topic:
How would you guys react if some of Gen 9 Pokémon will be introduced early in Pokémon Journeys (I don't know it works but still)?
I mean... I don't think I'd react much at all. It's always cool to see Pokémon a generation early, but they've done it before. Togepi, Marill, Snubull, and Ho-Oh before Gen 2, Blaziken before Gen 3, Bonsly before Gen 4, Zorua before Gen 5 (albeit in a movie), and Gogoat, Helioptile, and Noivern before Gen 6. It'll be cool, but not earthshattering.

I mean... I don't think I'd react much at all. It's always cool to see Pokémon a generation early, but they've done it before. Togepi, Marill, Snubull, and Ho-Oh before Gen 2, Blaziken before Gen 3, Bonsly before Gen 4, Zorua before Gen 5 (albeit in a movie), and Gogoat, Helioptile, and Noivern before Gen 6. It'll be cool, but not earthshattering.
I would not be surprised but I wonder what would Ash react to Gen 9 Pokémon, would they recognize him?

AxelJade

I would not be surprised but I wonder what would Ash react to Gen 9 Pokémon, would they recognize him?
Well, it depends on the context, I guess. If it's just a wild Pokémon or Pokémon owned by a friendly Trainer, Ash has had a pretty laid back "wow! That's cool! I wonder what it can do" attitude towards Pokémon from upcoming generations. If a rival like Harrison in Johto or Gary in Battle Frontier is the one packing it, though, Ash typically doesn't dwell on how cool it must be. He just worries about how he's going to be able to battle it.

Decidueye23

Won't really call it shining, it wasn't even there for that many episodes. In the episodes it was it did nothing but be a walking Mon as Ash's baby. I don't get how it's a screenhog when all the screentime it did get to itself was the bare minimum as a baby Mon to warrant a friendship evolution and be as strong to potentially help Ash crush stronger opponents. Esp since out of all ash's Pokémon it appears the least now
I amnnot saying it was a screenhog. From ots debut till its evolution it was the main focus amongst Ash's team so it taking a back seat for now seems okay, compared to gengar. Unlike other series, Ash anyway is barely using anything other than pikachu during normal episodes, so the fact that riolu got quite a bit of focus until it evolved seems fine. Its the same thing with Sirfetch'd but people dont seem to complain. Its barely appeared outside of maybe 1 episode since it evolved. Gengar is the kne that really needs to have something notable

nickdt

Problem is they can't retire Ash at this point. Just think about it.

The new protag will also have a Pikachu, cuz franchise mascot. The new protag most likely will get the majority of the popular mons also als has (Which includes his entire Kalos team, all his Kanto starters, Infernape, Sceptile, Cyndaquil line, Snivy line). There is literally no point in retiring Ash.

Its also not retiring Ash, it also retires Jessie, James, Meowth and Wobby. Here is the thing though. Ash is the human face of the Pokemon anime, whie Jessie and James being the secondary human faces of the anime. Meowth and Wobby are the secondary Pokemon faces of the anime.

All six of them are way to iconic at this point to retire.

Master Pikachu 11

I think Ash popularity is an American only thing, and the Japanese fans likely hate Ash

I mean think about it, all these time slot changes are because of Ash hurting the ratings, and now Goh is making the series popular again
The Japanese anime staff does not really care that much about what is popular in America, they only care about the fans in Japan since they are there. The fact that Ash, Pikachu and TR are still around shows how popular they have been over there and why they have not retired them yet.

YelST

Mitsuha Yamano Fan Account
Is PoGo Pokemon Go? Is Ash-Greninja seriously being implemented there? How credible is the information?
Yes it is. Ash-Greninja has been added to the game in the latest patch confirmed by miners.

I imagine the two will line up as Niantic always line up Ash's Journeys captures with either an event or boosted rates of that Pokémon

AxelJade

The Japanese anime staff does not really care that much about what is popular in America, they only care about the fans in Japan since they are there. The fact that Ash, Pikachu and TR are still around shows how popular they have been over there and why they have not retired them yet.
I always thought Team Rocket remaining in the anime was because of Takeshi Shudo. Y'know, with how the big choice before the Advanced Generation was "keep Misty and junk Team Rocket" or "keep Team Rocket and give Misty the boot", and they chose to cut Misty because "Without Pokémon, Team Rocket wouldn't be Pokémon"? Or does none of that apply to Team Rocket still being here THIS long?

D

Deleted member 384931

Problem is they can't retire Ash at this point. Just think about it.

The new protag will also have a Pikachu, cuz franchise mascot. The new protag most likely will get the majority of the popular mons also als has (Which includes his entire Kalos team, all his Kanto starters, Infernape, Sceptile, Cyndaquil line, Snivy line). There is literally no point in retiring Ash.

Its also not retiring Ash, it also retires Jessie, James, Meowth and Wobby. Here is the thing though. Ash is the human face of the Pokemon anime, whie Jessie and James being the secondary human faces of the anime. Meowth and Wobby are the secondary Pokemon faces of the anime.

All six of them are way to iconic at this point to retire.
How about a supporting role instead? As a Champion he fits that role. And a Pichu with the new main character

Status
Not open for further replies.