• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AxelJade

I say don't make Ash look more unbeatable. Hypothetically, if they've decided Ash is going to lose against Leon (I don't think they have, but let's just consider the possibility for the sake of argument), making him look unbeatable only for him to fail is just going to be a repeat of Ash vs. Alan. And having Ash look far weaker than Leon only for Ash to triumph in the end just makes more sense and makes Ash look more impressive, if you ask me.

Then again, I also don't care about logical power level scaling and think whatever makes more sense for the story is what should be done, so maybe I'm just babbling here.

DuskAstral

How is that going to work though?
They can barely handle eight Generations as it is
Why do you think they handle the 8 generations poorly? I didn't get the impression that any of the regions were neglected (maybe apart from Alola, but that's understandable, because it's quite a fresh region).

Last edited:

AxelJade

Why do you think they handle the 8 generations poorly? I didn't get the impression that any of the fegions were neglected (maybe apart from Alola, but that's understandable, because it's quite a fresh region).
Goh's unbalanced ratio of Pokémon from region to region (it's mostly Kanto Pokémon because Gen 1 fan service). Ash's team being comprised of two Kanto Pokémon (three if you count Pikachu, and only two of them worth anything as Gen 8 promotion), one Sinnoh Pokémon, and two Galar Pokémon, with nothing from other regions in his rotation. Most (not all, but most) returning characters and references have had to do with Kanto, Sinnoh, or Alola. That might be a consequence of Gen 1 nostalgia, LGPE references, BDSP/Legends: Arceus promotion, and Gen 7 still being recent, but it doesn't speak highly that Johto, Hoenn, Unova, and Kalos have barely gotten anything, and shiny new Galar has been left out in the cold.

You pick a reason.

Okay, I get that Pokémon is based on prediction but why was ash not allowed to catch more Pokémon Unless you count Mimey as Ash's other Pokémon but let me ask you guys: How do you feel if the writers decided to "screw it" and Let Ash swap his "Unbeatable" attitude with goh's "Catching Pokémon" Attitude based on English-Speaking people like this forum?

AxelJade

Okay, I get that Pokémon is based on prediction but why was ash not allowed to catch more Pokémon Unless you count Mimey as Ash's other Pokémon but let me ask you guys: How do you feel if the writers decided to "screw it" and Let Ash swap his "Unbeatable" attitude with goh's "Catching Pokémon" Attitude based on English-Speaking people like this forum?
That depends. Are you asking "what if they did a story that slowly and organically causes Ash and Goh's priorities to swap with each other"? Or are you asking "what if the writers decided to suddenly and without any sort of warning swap Ash and Goh's goals and personalities"?

That depends. Are you asking "what if they did a story that slowly and organically causes Ash and Goh's priorities to swap with each other"? Or are you asking "what if the writers decided to suddenly and without any sort of warning swap Ash and Goh's goals and personalities"?
I was asking "what if they did a story that slowly and organically causes Ash and Goh's priorities to swap with each other" thing but Goh could be the one who is unbeatable while Ash goes around and catch more Pokémon, would you guys be alright with this?

AxelJade

I was asking "what if they did a story that slowly and organically causes Ash and Goh's priorities to swap with each other" thing but Goh could be the one who is unbeatable while Ash goes around and catch more Pokémon, would you guys be alright with this?
I mean, it'd have to be a really good story for me to believe it and be alright with it. And I mean REALLY good. So good that I don't trust a weekly video game commercial made to promote a game for 6 year olds to be the one you want writing a story like that.

Morax

King of heroes
I say don't make Ash look more unbeatable. Hypothetically, if they've decided Ash is going to lose against Leon (I don't think they have, but let's just consider the possibility for the sake of argument), making him look unbeatable only for him to fail is just going to be a repeat of Ash vs. Alan. And having Ash look far weaker than Leon only for Ash to triumph in the end just makes more sense and makes Ash look more impressive, if you ask me.

Then again, I also don't care about logical power level scaling and think whatever makes more sense for the story is what should be done, so maybe I'm just babbling here.
Since you brought it up,
Underdogs >>> privileged and unbeatable mary sues.

That being said ash is worst of both worlds.

karanova-1

Mewtwo3214
Yeah i am back since the episode 77 thread is locked so i will give my opinion here well i am pretty happy its 3 vs 3 and gengar and lucario will get focus interesting that ash will use z- move here and i am looking forward to this battle and is ash been recognized as alola champion well in iris episode they should have mentioned that ash is a alola champion

desdar300

Why do you think they handle the 8 generations poorly? I didn't get the impression that any of the regions were neglected (maybe apart from Alola, but that's understandable, because it's quite a fresh region).
Galar has pretty much been an afterthought thanks to the world-wide tour.
To the point that Ash hasn't used Dmax since he was introduced to Leon.
I don't want to see them to add another region to the juggling rotation.

AxelJade

is ash been recognized as alola champion well in iris episode they should have mentioned that ash is a alola champion
Except that Ash's accomplishments usually never come up unless or until they're relevant. Sometimes, not even then. The Orange League was supposed to be harder than the Indigo League, but when they wanted to say that Ash is a good Trainer, Ash still bragged about placing in the Top 16 in the Indigo League. Not that he was the Orange League Champion. Conquering the Battle Frontier is arguably more impressive than any Pokémon League, and Ash did bring it up when Brandon showed up again, but he didn't warn Palmer or brag to Barry "Y'know, I've beaten the Kanto Battle Frontier" when everyone was acting like Palmer being the Tower Tycoon of Sinnoh's Battle Frontier was going to make him impossible to beat. Heck, if I recall correctly, Ash didn't even say he was the Alola League Champion when he and Goh actually first went to Alola.

In-universe, it's Ash trying to be humble. Why would he bring up these accomplishments? That's arrogant. But from a writing and storytelling perspective, it's smart. Don't make Ash sound too impressive. If they bring up that Ash is the Alola League Champion very often, then it makes it sound like Ash should only be challenged by other Champions, and makes moments where he loses to non-Champions like Bea seem unbelievable. Makes it seem like either being a Champion means nothing or like being Champion of Alola specifically means nothing.

KKS-Lapras

Switching Ash's and Goh's goals would never work, and regardless how good a story the Anime tried to throw out. The writers simply need to do better with balancing things between Ash and Goh.

No offense to the writers and the goals they have assigned to Goh, but his goal of catching every Pokemon, once upon a time, that was an intriguing idea, back in Gen 2 or Gen 3, but now, it's just silly, because we know there's always going to be more Pokemon, the idea of catching them all, is utterly pointless, especially since it means that all the years of complaining about Ash and the other traveling partners not developing their Pokemon properly, all of that falls way short of how poor a job will ever be done with the vast majority of Goh's Pokemon. His goal of catching Mew, while there's ways it could be made interesting, the route the writers are taking to work towards the goal is so vague that it lacks any real meaning or significance, and just say for the sake of argument he catches Mew, what next, does some other mythical legendary become the new end game capture for him?

Ash's goal needs more focus time, period, he is the main character still, and likely to continue into the future, so the amount of time devoted to Goh as opposed to Ash as the main character is utterly ridiculous. And people think Ash's current Pokemon team are featured poorly now, just imagine if he gained Goh's goal to just capture everything willy nilly. Ash's goal needs to start featuring more high profile opponents similar to how gym leaders were the main opponents in past series. Currently it's a hodge podge mix of random and sporadic nonsense. It would have made more sense if there was a period of time set in Kanto, where Ash had to face the Kanto gym leaders, but they are using more competitive teams then they use in gym matches. And then move on to Johto and do the same with the Johto gym leaders, and then Hoenn, and then Sinnoh, and then Unova, and then Kalos, and then Alola which needs to have actual gym leaders introduced since that region and it's league are established after Ash's victory having been it's first year supposedly, and then Galar. Then after that a series that features Ash facing each regions Elite 4 members one at a time. And then the next series features him facing each regions Elite 4 Champions. Maybe there could be as a bonus thrown in occasionally feature past trainers that were shown to have gone on to win the various regional Leagues, since they are all in theory on Ash's level. Point simply being, Ash's goal now really is too vague, and the structure of his opponents to sporadic and who he faces there's no rhyme or reason as to why he faces them when he does.

D

Deleted member 384931

I do not want Satoshi to catch another pokemon. He cant balance his team that he has now.This is Lucarios first PWC fight since it evolved (30) episodes ago, Gengars first PWC fight in 52 episodes and Pikachus first PWC battle in almost a year. The only consistent thing we got is Dragonite and even that..

xNidoQueen

I do not want Satoshi to catch another pokemon. He cant balance his team that he has now.This is Lucarios first PWC fight since it evolved (30) episodes ago, Gengars first PWC fight in 52 episodes and Pikachus first PWC battle in almost a year. The only consistent thing we got is Dragonite and even that..
How can he balance his team when he barely has screen time compared to previous gens? There have been whole episodes where Satoshi does not appear but the opposite cannot be said of Goh since his miserable introduction...

DuskAstral

Ash's goal needs more focus time, period, he is the main character still, and likely to continue into the future, so the amount of time devoted to Goh as opposed to Ash as the main character is utterly ridiculous.
I don't understand a bit. At first everyone is happy that the anime broke a few rules, but less focus on Satoshi is a sin. Is it really that bad? After all, he has not given up his goal, he continues to pursue it

Morax

King of heroes
I don't understand a bit. At first everyone is happy that the anime broke a few rules, but less focus on Satoshi is a sin. Is it really that bad? After all, he has not given up his goal, he continues to pursue it
It's more about the wasted potential. The PWC is an interesting concept but to fully realise it requires complete focus on Ash. Do we really need fresh companions every season?

AxelJade

Do we really need fresh companions every season?
The answer to that should be obvious. No. Strong writing and characterization is all that matters. After all, Misty carried to the Orange Islands and Johto, and Brock stayed on from Johto until Sinnoh. Sun and Moon could have ended with Ash going on the boat with Lusamine's family to look for Mohn, with Gladion and Lillie just gradually rotating out Pokémon on their teams for Gen 8 Mons (or, I guess in Lillie's case, just adding to her team) and the group ending up in Galar just in time for Lance's battle with Leon, and as long as the writing were solid, it wouldn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.