• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morax

King of heroes
The answer to that should be obvious. No. Strong writing and characterization is all that matters. After all, Misty carried to the Orange Islands and Johto, and Brock stayed on from Johto until Sinnoh. Sun and Moon could have ended with Ash going on the boat with Lusamine's family to look for Mohn, with Gladion and Lillie just gradually rotating out Pokémon on their teams for Gen 8 Mons (or, I guess in Lillie's case, just adding to her team) and the group ending up in Galar just in time for Lance's battle with Leon, and as long as the writing were solid, it wouldn't matter.
It was a rhetorical question but yeah i agree with your post.

AxelJade

I don't understand a bit. At first everyone is happy that the anime broke a few rules, but less focus on Satoshi is a sin. Is it really that bad? After all, he has not given up his goal, he continues to pursue it
The problem is that Ash and Goh are supposed to be sharing the top spot. That implies that Ash is supposed to be just as much of a focus as Goh. But instead, the anime is treating Ash and his goal more like an afterthought not to be focused on. After all, if Ash can just raise or lower his rank in the PWC off screen without us, the audience, seeing the battles that cause it... Then why is Ash there at all? You could make him like Brock, a side character who only travels with Goh and acts as support to Goh without much development, and nothing would really change.

It's two cardinal rules of storytelling. Show, don't tell. And if it isn't important, it doesn't need to be there.

Adding to that, the direction of Goh's character is incredibly divisive and controversial. After the anime set up Legendary Pokémon as nearly unbeatable, starters either being solely with Ash or being distributed among the characters, establishing that it's expected for Pokémon to bond with their Trainers before being caught instead of by capture or after we capture, and Ash causing changes in the characters around him... Well, none of that is happening. Goh caught Suicune without any effort, had the monopoly on Galar starters, still tends to catch Pokémon before forming a bond with them, and has... Matured, but not exactly CHANGED because of Ash. So it's not that the anime broke "a few rules". It's that everything the anime has set itself up as at its core, Goh is ignoring. Aside from being less whiny and more willing to battle in situations were he has to, Goh has not changed. But he continues to hog the spotlight while Ash and Koharu get so little focus that you might as well just cut them out of the show entirely by now.

Ash's goal should get equal focus to Goh's in terms of storytelling and audience engagement. But it's not, and what the anime is focusing on instead isn't everyone's cup of tea. So yeah. I argue that less Ash focus is indeed a sin.

Last edited:

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
How can he balance his team when he barely has screen time compared to previous gens? There have been whole episodes where Satoshi does not appear but the opposite cannot be said of Goh since his miserable introduction...
Yeah, all one of them.

AxelJade

I will not agree with that. I would like to note that Suicune was severely weakened by poachers back then, so it's probably obvious that he was caught so easily by Gou. It is possible that if this legend had been in full force, it would not have been so easy.
That, inandof itself, is also a problem. I'm sorry, but no matter what the show tries to say to me, what the games or manga say to me, or how anyone tries to explain it to me, but there is absolutely no way anyone can convince me that poachers are capable of even touching Suicune. Let alone weaken it enough that Goh is able to catch it. There's no way! There's just no way!

It contradicts almost everything we've seen from Legendary Pokémon before this!

BlazingAsh

That, inandof itself, is also a problem. I'm sorry, but no matter what the show tries to say to me, what the games or manga say to me, or how anyone tries to explain it to me, but there is absolutely no way anyone can convince me that poachers are capable of even touching Suicune. Let alone weaken it enough that Goh is able to catch it. There's no way! There's just no way!

It contradicts almost everything we've seen from Legendary Pokémon before this!
The poachers didn't directly attack it first. They tired it over several days by making it purify the lake over and over again. That's how it became easy to attack it later.

Anyway, Suicune has never really been one of the strongest legendaries.

Panky..

Discord: Panky..#9281
The poachers didn't directly attack it first. They tired it over several days by making it purify the lake over and over again. That's how it became easy to attack it later.

Anyway, Suicune has never really been one of the strongest legendaries.
That plot point itself is contrived as hell, especially when Suicune is portrayed as dumb to not realize that something's wrong, only conveniently appears when all parties are present, then intentionally throws itself in the path of danger only to end up doing nothing, hence conveniently being in position to be captured, and then at the end, it shows that it could have handled everything by itself in its weakened state itself.

It doesn't matter how strong or weak it is or whatever you want to justify the capture with, the entire setup is garbage. And when the root of the plant is ill, the rest of plant will wilt over and die.

AxelJade

I saw the episode. I also wasn't kidding. Nothing presented in the show will convince me that Suicune couldn't have blown away the poachers at a moment's notice.

And even the argument that Suicune isn't the strongest Legendary does nothing. Moltres isn't a very strong Legendary Pokémon either, but the anime still presents it as able to take casual lava baths and so Water attacks evaporate before they even touch it.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I saw the episode. I also wasn't kidding. Nothing presented in the show will convince me that Suicune couldn't have blown away the poachers at a moment's notice.

And even the argument that Suicune isn't the strongest Legendary does nothing. Moltres isn't a very strong Legendary Pokémon either, but the anime still presents it as able to take casual lava baths and so Water attacks evaporate before they even touch it.
+ Goh took the advantage of this Pokemon being hurt and catched it for himself, saying he "saved it".

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I will not agree with that. I would like to note that Suicune was severely weakened by poachers back then, so it's probably obvious that he was caught so easily by Gou. It is possible that if this legend had been in full force, it would not have been so easy.
Goh didn't even want to capture Suicune. It was literally an accident.

Megapixel

, Moltress was able to fight at the same time with gary's blastoise, which without fear of being mistaken is at the level of an Elite Four pokémon, with ash's infernape, which in itself is one of ash's strongest pokémon, rivaling charizard, and knock out very easily the cinderace of Goh, and even being very wounded by the double Thunder Shock was able to escape

LazySpy

Kimty

Besides, Suicune litelary has Ice Beam...

Like, just freeze them all over. I don't think he'd even need that much strength to do so.

KKS-Lapras

I don't understand a bit. At first everyone is happy that the anime broke a few rules, but less focus on Satoshi is a sin. Is it really that bad? After all, he has not given up his goal, he continues to pursue it

The answer to this question, to me at least, is Ash is the main character, period. His goal should be what is primarily carrying the narrative. The PWC needs better fleshing out and focus.

Goh's goals are superfluous, they are like Brock's goal of becoming a Pokemon Breeder. Oh catching all Pokemon, is an unachievable goal, in any fleshed out sense, 8 generations into the franchise. That type of goal would have made sense back in Gen 2, or Gen 3, but that's pushing it. Now it's just a trope of the past. And his secondary goal of catching Mew, what happens next, does he all of a sudden fixate on a new goal Mythical Pokemon.

The writers took a risk by breaking away from Ash's typical regional journey, and instead of putting together a consistent narrative with clear outlined goals that are routinely focused on, it's just a sporadic unfocused mess.

And often the main character's goal feel like they are forced to take a back seat to Goh's 2 goals, neither of which have any real sense of having a real meaningful "accomplishment".

Not everything about Goh is bad, so don't mistake my above opinions as outright being anti Goh. His dynamic with Scorbunny and it's evolutions was great in my opinion. Him getting Grookey would have sat better with me if Ash had gotten Sobble, that was a blatant oopsie decision by the writers. His goals though hold no real meaningful weight, as opposed to Ash's goals, and that's my primary issue.

Last edited:

BlazingAsh

You're completely ignoring the fact that it was too exhausted to even use its moves.

BlazingAsh

.................... It litelary opened the battle by wrecking their truck.
... With moves.
Instead of, I dunno, shooting them...
It was trying to scare them off and warn them instead of directly attacking humans. It was a mistake to give them a chance but Suicune was being kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.