• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t wait for Ash to become champion and to deal with the pressures that come with it and to see him suffer as a character and “grow” for once and basically get some good character-focused writing for the fist time in forever.

Maybe suffering through PJ will pay off lol
With the current writing team? Good luck.

Ace-Barn

#Tokio&Nickit
It's sad how the 'rival' character has goals and motivations that are far more interesting than the character we're actually supposed to be rooting for.
Depends, Gary is catch Mew - research - understand pokemon.

Goh is catch pokemon - understand pokemon - something - catch Mew.

As a fan you can come up with reasons to justify Goh's 'method', but the writers have given it no logical justification in universe.

That said Gary's method only involves actually catching Mew, and I just find the goal of catching all pokemon more interesting. A shame it is so ignored lately.

colomb

And why would his journey end after the fight with Dande?
Let's see:
- Satoshi himself stated that becoming a Monarch will not make him a Pokémon Master
Pokemon Master originally meant winning the one and only Pokemon League at the Indigo Plateau, then became some obscure goal due to a lack of any actual plan from the creative team and uncertainty over what the games might do.

Ash is never going to say his goal is complete in any circumstance. Becoming the number 1 ranked trainer is as good a place to end the series as we'll ever get.

colomb

Where was that said? Nothing like that happened in the anime.
It was from the original games, which the anime wasn't going to go past originally. Even if the anime wasn't following that, Ash isn't going to declare himself a Pokemon Master or his dream complete in any situation ever.
Sure sounds like it just meant being the number 1 trainer either way;

Last edited:

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Gary's goal is literally just Goh's goal re-worded, but nice try! (At making my IQ points drop, not at anything else)

Gary just wants to catch Mew so through it, he can understand all Pokémon since it's the ancestor to all.

Goh wants to catch ALL Pokémon and eventually catch Mew.

Goh's goal of catching them all is just not practical in the anime. Gamewise it's fine since for us, it's all just data, but in the anime-universe they are all living creatures with some even being deities or protectors of nature or creatures.

Gary has a more practical method of achieving his research by only catching the one.

desdar300

I kind of do wonder how well the mew stuff even holds up?
Ever since Generation 4 introduced The Creation quartet Mew and it's lore had felt kind of felt outdated.

kickachu

Momentai!
Pokemon Master originally meant winning the one and only Pokemon League at the Indigo Plateau, then became some obscure goal due to a lack of any actual plan from the creative team and uncertainty over what the games might do.

Ash is never going to say his goal is complete in any circumstance. Becoming the number 1 ranked trainer is as good a place to end the series as we'll ever get.
But being the number one trainer must mean more than winning the PWC don't they need to master all region mechanics like z moves and mega evolution and we don't know gen 9 mechanic yet

Blood Red

【推しの子】
Depends, Gary is catch Mew - research - understand pokemon.

Goh is catch pokemon - understand pokemon - something - catch Mew.

As a fan you can come up with reasons to justify Goh's 'method', but the writers have given it no logical justification in universe.

That said Gary's method only involves actually catching Mew, and I just find the goal of catching all pokemon more interesting. A shame it is so ignored lately.
Goh’s goal ultimately seems to be Mew itself, for which he set out to catch all Pokémon in the world as if it’ll help…somehow. Unlike Gary’s goal to actually use it to further humanity’s understanding of Pokémon, Goh’s motivations just seem shallow and dull in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.