• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
While it is true that his goal is to become a pokemon master, what achievable onscreen is to become a pokemon battle master. I think other aspect of pokemon master can only be achieved via offscreenland and time skip, no longer as main protagonist.
Then what would even be the point of them saying "It's just a step" if they don't show what else he needs to do? It'll be like in those fanfics where Ash just ****s off and comes back as an overpowered badass. That's boring af, I don't want that lol

It's pretty much confirmed he ain't going anywhere anyways. The recent Team Rocket episode made that pretty clear, they could have made them start considering quitting but they decided to come back together and hunt down Ash and Pikachu(As usual with these episodes). If they aren't going anywhere, neither is Ash. I just hope his gen 9 goal is more interesting, fleshed out and defined than the PWC, no more one on one's and offscreen progress with gen 9 actually getting a proper amount of focus. If I want to watch Kanto Pokemon, I'll go and watch the OS

Nikinini

That is where I would like for him to be and then called upon to rejoin the team when he takes on Diantha. Would be great but my gut tells me that he is staying in Kalos unfortunately.
Greninja getting Oaked makes as much sense as Pikachu getting Oaked. That's the whole reason why he had to go with Zygarde, it's just a way to keep him away from Ash for a reason that makes sense.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Greninja getting Oaked makes as much sense as Pikachu getting Oaked. That's the whole reason why he had to go with Zygarde, it's just a way to keep him away from Ash for a reason that makes sense.

Like with Charizard and Infernape?

I think it's quite clear that the only reason Greninja didn't get Oaked initially is the same reason as Charizard. Big, powerful, iconic Pokémon too important to simply go back to Professor Oak. Gotta give it a special vacation away from Ash.

And then Charizard came back and got properly Oaked. He seems to be doing fine there. Infernape goes on a Fire fighting journey while being Oaked, leaving the vicinity to battle Moltres. He seems fine.

Ironically, Charizard had more reason to stay in training at Charicific Valley indefinitely than Greninja. The vines are theoretically finite. Training to be the best is infinite. If Charizard can return, so can Greninja.

Then what would even be the point of them saying "It's just a step" if they don't show what else he needs to do?
That is precisely what they are doing right now. They said being champion is just a step, but do they show anything else other than training and battling for Ash? Pokemon battle is the core of the anime. Once his battle frequency drop because of focusing on other steps, he can't be the face of the franchise.

ImBeVillain

No more six members
I'm scared Chloe will get more new fans, cause she might become a wingwoman and try let to Serena and Ash to get couple.
Best friends always will help their best friends for anything, even make a couple with someone.
Secuding scenes may be happening, but not make a couples, cause this Pokemon is not a romance genre.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
It's pretty much confirmed he ain't going anywhere anyways.
I dunno. I think it’s a stretch to say anything about the next generation is confirmed…

I'm scared Chloe will get more new fans, cause she might become a wingwoman and try let to Serena and Ash to get couple.
Best friends always will help their best friends for anything, even make a couple with someone.
Secuding scenes may be happening, but not make a couples, cause this Pokemon is not a romance genre.
Chloe is a romantic.

I believe that any moves in this direction would be setting up an endgame scenario…

DigitalTrainer

Worried about everything
I agree what writers made about this. Ash should have more mons for PWC. Limit only six pokemon this is really DUMB, i hate this really.
This is P W C, not lame regional league - writers need learn about tier difficult games.

6 Kanto mons, 6 Sinnoh mons, 6 Galar mons - and this would be perfect for Ash, he would have 18 mons, but no... better make less team and limit only max full six members and get lucky more wins in PWC.

Even in preview shown Greninja will not rejoin to Ash's team, look again closely in the special preview. Greninja will get episode earlier before Paul and Alola episodes, where Greninja was shown at these episodes in preview? Excatly...
Yes you are speaking my language! I agree with stupid it is was to just tie him down to just using the five Pokemon he caught in JN, especially with how they apparently filled out his team in just 50 episodes. I also agree with him having more Galar rep too. What Pokemon do you think would fit him?

Would the rest of the Kanto and Sinnoh mons be returning mons or a mix of new and old, and if space-time altering stuff happened, would Hisui Pokemon count amongst the Sinnoh ones?

Gingertail24

Ash isn't a Pokemon Master yet, and the specifics to the silly dream are still unspecified.
The anime always try to show that pokemon master is more than being the strongest trainer. But tbh, it seems growing stronger is really the only thing ash does to progress his dreams. They want to act like it's other stuff other than being strong, but ash doesn't do anything else but try to be stronger.
It's like if dawn said being a top coordinator is more than winning ribbons, but all we ever see her do on screen is win ribbons, in terms.kf progressing her goal,. I don't blame fans for thinking ash will leave this season. Even though he wont

Would Ash's staying in Pokémon Anime be inevitable while assuming that endgame is currently nonexistent, Imagine thinking that Ash would leave the Pokémon Anime. Like I said... it's never going to happen regardless of their decision. Ash will still stay regardless of the fanbase saying that he has to be replaced.

Megapixel

Would Ash's staying in Pokémon Anime be inevitable while assuming that endgame is currently nonexistent, Imagine thinking that Ash would leave the Pokémon Anime. Like I said... it's never going to happen regardless of their decision. Ash will still stay regardless of the fanbase saying that he has to be replaced.
I hope to at least be alive to finally see ash rest.

ImBeVillain

No more six members
Yes you are speaking my language! I agree with stupid it is was to just tie him down to just using the five Pokemon he caught in JN, especially with how they apparently filled out his team in just 50 episodes. I also agree with him having more Galar rep too. What Pokemon do you think would fit him?

Would the rest of the Kanto and Sinnoh mons be returning mons or a mix of new and old, and if space-time altering stuff happened, would Hisui Pokemon count amongst the Sinnoh ones?
Kanto - Pikachu, Dragonite, Gengar, Charizard, Mr. Mime, Snorlax
Sinnoh - Lucario, Buizel, Gliscor, Infernape, Torterra, Empoleon
Galar - Sirfetch'd, Dracovish, Grimmsnarl, Runerigus, Toxricity, Corviknight

That i want see like this, more new mons but mixed with old mons.

Master Pikachu 11

No it doesn’t as Pikachu is always going to be with Ash and is never going to be left behind. Greninja going to Oak’s would be better because if Ash ever decides to use reserves again then he can call Oak to send any of his Pokémon over while Greninja has no way of helping Ash out if he still stays where he is at. So if Ash ends of battling Diantha for example, Greninja won’t be able to be used because of where he is at if Ash decided to use reserves.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?

Two things:

1. The writers barely take heed of any online forums, much less let themselves be influenced by it.

2. Not sure if the 'fanbase' is actually saying they want Ash gone, but rather a vocal minority. Also note that when we got Goh as a second male protagonist he was (to my knowledge) almost universally disliked. It's a case of be careful of what you wish for.

I hope to at least be alive to finally see ash rest.

Not gonna lie. Disregarding my relatives, the individuals I've known for the longest period of my life are Ash and Pikachu.. xD

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
The anime always try to show that pokemon master is more than being the strongest trainer. But tbh, it seems growing stronger is really the only thing ash does to progress his dreams. They want to act like it's other stuff other than being strong, but ash doesn't do anything else but try to be stronger.
He also tries to build better bonds with his Pokemon...and stop evil teams from destroying the world.

There is no real path to becoming a Pokemon Master. It's literally described as a "Child's Dream." And they have to show things that make for exciting TV.

Even though he wont
I think its a little premature to make this prediction with this level of confidence. They don't have to bring Ash back just because its always been done that way. They have changed up the formula so much over the last few series that it's really hard to say what the plans are for the next generation. The anime has done a lot of things that people thought they would never do over the last couple of generations, such as:
  • Give Ash a love interest
  • Let Ash catch a legendary or mythical
  • Win a League Championship based on a mainline game
  • Do a multi-region series
  • Skip the gym challenge for the current region
  • Defeat an E4 member
  • Defeat a regional champion from a game
  • Bring Serena back
There are some signs that the anime could be in for a major shakeup or status quo change too. None of these are conclusive proof that something major is going to change, and they could also have other explanations such as COVID and the 25th anniversary.
  • Ignoring the current generation region
  • Completing the evil team arc in the 1st year of the series
  • Adapting post-game content for the anime's main storyline. The PWC seems to be a cross between the post-game battle facility and B2/W2's PWT. In SMUSUM, Mega Evolution is only available in the post-game. There is a lot more focus on legendary Pokemon that are usually only available in the Post-Game (Kanto Birds, Cresselia/Darkrai, Heatran in the Amazon special, the Regis in Project Mew if the opening is to be believed)
  • The apparent end of the theatrical movies with Yajima rejoining the weekly anime staff
  • Adapting game content that wasn't used in the anime, such as the Mega Lucario arc in the XY games and the Lisia contest scouting storyline from ORAS.
  • Bringing back plot threads from previous series such as a potential Cynthia/Ash battle during the M8
  • Giving Ash a competitive team of fan favorite/popular Pokemon that doesn't fit the regions of the current generations
  • Breaking away from Ash being the current generation protagonist insert by giving him powerups that are not available in the mainline games
None of this fits the established patterns from previous series. This suggests that something is going to change, and the anime has a lot of options in front of it. It could, in no particular order:
  • End the series entirely to focus on other anime projects that directly adapt game content
  • Continue the status quo with the Journeys model, Ash, and new co-protagonists or companions
  • Return to the old status quo of Ash exploring the region with companions
  • Do a time skip to a teenaged Ash
  • Do a time skip to an adult Ash and continue the story by following his children
  • Make Go or Chloe the new protagonist
  • Have Ash officially move into the Brock role and mentor a new MC in the Gen9 region.
I'm not saying any one of these will happen, but we should keep an open mind.

Edit: I should also add that the show has never done anything on this scale for previous anniversaries or milestone years.

Last edited:

DayQuil95

It's done a HORRIBLE job of portraying Ash as anything but a moron, like 80 percent of his losses were all about him being completely stupid and by pure luck he'll pull out a win from no where. This series has made him look weak as hell and all the "upgrades he's received have been badly handled too outside of Lucario and the mega evolution.
Exactly, the lack of strategy in the battles in this series is ridiculous. Does Ash beat Bea by using Lucario's power combined with a strategy to beat the type disadvantage and overcome Gigantamax? Nope, Lucario tanks everything and then beats Machamp with Steel Beam. You don't see stuff like Ash using Razor Leaf to camouflage Turtwig in order to beat Rampardos anymore, or Frogadier waiting for the perfect moment to time an attack against Gogoat in order to finish it.
And when the battles do have a strategy, like Ash somehow using Gigantamax properly against Marnie without having any experience with it, the animation looks like a slide show.

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
I don’t see how Volkner trying to do that was a dumb decision on his part when he had no way of knowing that the Z-move was going to be so powerful to the extent that it could overload Electivire’s ability and do damage to it.

Volkner having his Electivire try to use its ability to try to tank and absorb the Z-move is no different then when Brock Mega Evolved his Steelix and had it try to rank the Z-move Inferno Overdrive even though it was weak to Fire type attacks.

If anything Volkner would have more justification and thinking that his Electivire could possibly hold out against the Z-move and even if it got past Electivire’s ability it Electivire still had a resistance to Electric type moves.

It’s just the Z-move Ash and Pikachu used was far stronger then what Volkner and probably a lot of the audience assumed. Also it’s not like Volkner and most of the audience there were aware of how Ash’s battle against Tapu Koko went down.
Yeah, it was just a nice case of realistic logistics that the game will never have to avoid overcomplications. And it kind of is an awesome way to get around type immunity and stuff, sure the attack itself will not truly hurt... But the sheer energy and force output would still pack a punch

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Exactly, the lack of strategy in the battles in this series is ridiculous. Does Ash beat Bea by using Lucario's power combined with a strategy to beat the type disadvantage and overcome Gigantamax? Nope, Lucario tanks everything and then beats Machamp with Steel Beam.

when it comes to fighting type gym leaders, the fights generally turn into more about who can endure more pain than strategy, because that's how most of them fight.

Eh, if it’s about bad strategies, vs Volkner takes the gold. Not because of Volkner himself, because his strategies were all cool, but Ash’s strategies...actually, lack of them, were terrible.

It wasn't that bad, Ash was switching around and using Gengar to keep volkner on his toes was a nice touch.
Volkner deciding to have electivire tank the z-move the peak of induced dumbness, just to give Ash the win.

Unless you didn't watch SM, you had to know going in that this was coming.

if a giant earth titan summoned by a legendary, which was completely destroyed into nothing and the legendary who summoned it was knocked out at the same time...how is a regular electivire supposed to withstand that?

not to mention both the games and anime have established there are limits to what a pokemon can absorb when it comes to abilities like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.