• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Sword/Shield Chapter

It would’ve likely gotten the SM treatment where the Darkest Day happened way earlier than usual. Except without the buildup cause it was non-existent in the games as well.
This. I'm late in responding as usual, but I really don't understand why people are disappointed with the "lack of buildup" when Sword and Shield's story was pretty lackluster in the first place. I for one am glad that they're getting this darkest day stuff out of the way. In my opinion the games were super unmemorable to me, to the point where I don't even remember if there was even a big buildup in the games other than giving us some backstory of Zacian and Zamazeta and the darkest day.

Like oh look, we battle the gym leaders. Here's Sonia telling us that she's investigating the darkest day, rinse and repeat, until finally the event happens. I don't blame the writers whatsoever for squeezing it all into just four episodes. I just wouldn't see the point in dragging things on. Judging from the trailer (which got me hyped for this arc), I'm fine with this just being four episodes.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
Because Sirfetch'd appeared in that DD toy set from a week or so ago. Could be misleading, but that's where the thinking comes from for me anyway. Not that I think it should happen here
Grookey was also in that toyset and there's still no sign of it showing up here

Eevee and Yamper showing up here is unlikely as well

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
This. I'm late in responding as usual, but I really don't understand why people are disappointed with the "lack of buildup" when Sword and Shield's story was pretty lackluster in the first place.
There was buildup, though.

The player's backyard is right next to the forbidden forest.

Bede was being used by Rose to collect Wishing Stars, but when Bede got ahead of himself, he was cut off from having people suspect Rose's motives.

Sonia's own character arc constantly has her finding clues about the Darkest Day throughout the region.

Team Yell is supposed to have the player question if they're behind something sinister, but it all turns out to be just some Gym Trainers going rouge to support Marnie.

After the 7th gym, wild Dynamax Pokemon start to appear. After that, it all builds up to Rose bombing the championship. Ironically, Team Yell aids the player to get to Rose in one occasion.

What do we get in the anime? Rose immediately going all in with zero buildup, other than just unassuming glimpses.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Kawaii Emolga said:
I guess Mewtwo will happen after the DD arc

Wasn't that somewhat obvious even before the new preview, in any case? We didn't have any episode titles hinting at Mewtwo appearing before the Black Night subplot, and it seemed rather unlikely that Mewtwo would be directly involved in the Black Night plot since the species had nothing to do with that in the games. So by process of elimination, Mewtwo's appearance would have to wait until the Mugendina crisis is over.

Lacuna

Goodnight
Yep, Mewtwo was always definitely post-Darkest Day arc, probably in December somewhere. I only say December and not November because I doubt they would immediately follow up the arc with another important episode without at least some space in between.

There was buildup, though.

The player's backyard is right next to the forbidden forest.

Bede was being used by Rose to collect Wishing Stars, but when Bede got ahead of himself, he was cut off from having people suspect Rose's motives.

Sonia's own character arc constantly has her finding clues about the Darkest Day throughout the region.

Team Yell is supposed to have the player question if they're behind something sinister, but it all turns out to be just some Gym Trainers going rouge to support Marnie.

After the 7th gym, wild Dynamax Pokemon start to appear. After that, it all builds up to Rose bombing the championship. Ironically, Team Yell aids the player to get to Rose in one occasion.

What do we get in the anime? Rose immediately going all in with zero buildup, other than just unassuming glimpses.
Ahh yeah I've been proven wrong, there definitely was some buildup involved before the actual darkest day occurred. But everything relating to Sonia's arc felt redundant and lackluster in the games imo. You literally run around defeating gyms and in most if not all the cities, you happen to run across her and she just gives you tidbits of the Darkest Day, I don't see how the anime would incorporate any buildup that occurred in the games considering its allegedly focusing on the Pokemon world as a whole and various regions.

If they were focusing purely on the Galar region, then yes, I would probably also be complaining about the lack of buildup, but they get a pass from me. With the way the series is currently going, the lack of buildup was to be expected, especially when we're lacking other key characters like Bede, Marnie, and Team Yell, as well as more development from Sonia, Rose, and Leon.

I might be wrong due to being spoiled by all of the trailers before the game came out, but I never ever got the feeling that I was supposed to question whether Team Yell was up to no good... It seemed pretty clear that they were obsessed fans of Marnie, and that was it.

Lacuna

Goodnight
I just really hope the Mewtwo is the original one and we get a little arc about Team Rocket. Giovanni needs to start being threatening again.
THIS. I'm holding out so much hope for that happening. I want Team Rocket to be like, actual antagonists again please.

If it's the original Mewtwo, I really hope there's at least some kind of reference to its debut episode/when it escaped, too. I think that was the only time we saw it in the actual anime series and not a movie, though please correct me if I'm wrong.
(Though seeing as it's not showing up in the SwSh arc I doubt this thread is where it should be discussed... oops.)

But everything relating to Sonia's arc felt redundant and lackluster in the games imo. You literally run around defeating gyms and in most if not all the cities, you happen to run across her and she just gives you tidbits of the Darkest Day, I don't see how the anime would incorporate any buildup that occurred in the games considering its allegedly focusing on the Pokemon world as a whole and various regions.

If they were focusing purely on the Galar region, then yes, I would probably also be complaining about the lack of buildup, but they get a pass from me. With the way the series is currently going, the lack of buildup was to be expected, especially when we're lacking other key characters like Bede, Marnie, and Team Yell, as well as more development from Sonia, Rose, and Leon.
Seconded. I don't see how they could have built up to this more than they already did without it feeling out of place IMO. I do feel like the bare minimum was established/hinted at beforehand, so yes if this was only a Galar series then this would be totally out of nowhere - but in a "world tour" series like this that's totally fine to me. It'd be kinda weird if they spent way too much time doing important things in Galar when it's not supposed to be focused on it. I think it's fine the way it is, but I can see how it might feel rushed compared to other arcs that got actual foreshadowing and stuff.

D

Deleted member 384931

I hope Rose will be arrested. Makes you wonder how the PWC will be influenced or Satoshi being more famous cause he saved Galar

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
I hope Rose will be arrested. Makes you wonder how the PWC will be influenced or Satoshi being more famous cause he saved Galar
What if Ash getting more and more popular over time will eventually make Leon jealous and will turn him into an antagonist over time?

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
I just really hope the Mewtwo is the original one and we get a little arc about Team Rocket. Giovanni needs to start being threatening again.
Problem is, if the Mewtwo is the Original one, then no one in Team Rocket (including Giovanni) should remember about him, since Mewtwo did remove the memories relating to itself and that place in that "Mewtwo Returns" Specials (only Ash, Misty, Brock and JJM should technically remember about him).

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
does anyone think this is going to turn into the twilight wings version of the team flare arc?

BobbbidyBob

Problem is, if the Mewtwo is the Original one, then no one in Team Rocket (including Giovanni) should remember about him, since Mewtwo did remove the memories relating to itself and that place in that "Mewtwo Returns" Specials (only Ash, Misty, Brock and JJM should technically remember about him).
Mewtwo works as a castle designer now

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
This. I'm late in responding as usual, but I really don't understand why people are disappointed with the "lack of buildup" when Sword and Shield's story was pretty lackluster in the first place.
XY is notorious for having a terrible and rushed plot but that didn’t stop the writers from incorporating new elements to build up to Flare’s arc. Don’t think it’s an excuse when the anime has always taken a lot of creative liberties when adapting game plots.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Ahh yeah I've been proven wrong, there definitely was some buildup involved before the actual darkest day occurred. But everything relating to Sonia's arc felt redundant and lackluster in the games imo. You literally run around defeating gyms and in most if not all the cities, you happen to run across her and she just gives you tidbits of the Darkest Day.
That's, uh, how it's always been in other games.
I don't see how the anime would incorporate any buildup that occurred in the games considering its allegedly focusing on the Pokemon world as a whole and various regions.
Answered your own question. Let us preach the Pokemon GO format. Ale Ba Yiu.
Don't worry. This first impression will only get worse the more we focus away from Galar.
I might be wrong due to being spoiled by all of the trailers before the game came out, but I never ever got the feeling that I was supposed to question whether Team Yell was up to no good... It seemed pretty clear that they were obsessed fans of Marnie, and that was it.
You never expect the loony fans from harassing the Top 8 and suddenly go after the Legendary Pokemon to catch it in her name.