• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Sword/Shield Chapter

Ultra Beast Lover

Go's time in the anime will end soon, probably after this saga, like every other companion. A protagonist is a main character which is what every companion is. This is the first saga with only two protagonists as Chloe is recurring. Besides, do we really want to sit through more sagas with Go?

ShadowForce720

Go's time in the anime will end soon, probably after this saga, like every other companion. A protagonist is a main character which is what every companion is. This is the first saga with only two protagonists as Chloe is recurring. Besides, do we really want to sit through more sagas with Go?

Actually, none of the previous main characters that travel with Ash were classified as protagonist. Goh is the first main character besides Ash to be classified as a protagonist.

In all honesty while Goh might leave at the end of gen 8, at the same time I wouldn’t be that surprised if he doesn’t leave at the end of gen 8.

I mean if you look at how they structured Goh he has been structured in more of a way of being a long term character that stick around for more then one generation.

It would make sense that if they intend to have another protagonist that sticks around for multiple generations that they would have them represent one of the other major aspects of Pokémon.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
No not really. Buizel had more of a losing streak then anything else

Which is exactly the point isn't it? Grotle and Buizel were fine until after the Hearthome Gym - where Chimchar's ascent to 2 Gym Wins per battle started and culminated in 3 wins vs. Paul at the league. Out of those five battles, there were 19 opponents, a whopping 11 went down due to Chimchar/Infernape hogging the living daylight out of Sinnoh. And only 8 wins could be distributed among six other pokémon, even including Pikachu (could be five if you accept that Gliscor and Gible were never in Ash's care at the same time, aside for the Paul-battle, when they actually weren't on the same team either).

So, from Hearthome Gym onwards these were the wins the rest of the team got:
- Staraptor: Candice's Medicham, Paul's Weavile, Nando's Roserade.
- Pikachu: Volkner's Electivire, Paul's Froslass.
- Buizel: Fantina's Gengar, Paul's Gastrodon.
- Gliscor: Byron's Bastiodon, Paul's Drapion.
- Gible: Conway's Shuckle and Dusknoir.
- Torterra: Candice's Sneasel. Just one single win, but it got used vs. a Frontier Brain and an E4-member.

So gym 5 onwards until the end of the league, the most wins any pokémon had gotten aside from Infernape, was Staraptor, with just THREE wins total - and that's including the Lake Acuity battle and the Nando and Conway battles for Staraptor and Gible's sake.

The only reason some of these pokémon have less then stellar achievements Hearthome onwards is because extreme Infernape-bias resulting in minimal results for the rest of the team.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
Literally The ONLY reason I don't see Goh lasting beyond this saga is because his First Partner is a Gen 8 Starter. Who is almost certainly leaving by Gen 9 (since the Gen 9 Fire Starter will need to be on the forefront)

Unless Goh releases Cinderace for some reason he's probably not sticking around.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
The issue about what will happen after the PWC would be that:
1) Going back to a regular badge collecting adventure would feel like a step down in scale
2) If Ash does another PWC, it'd feel pretty same-y as this one, even more than with badge quests, as there wouldn't even be a new region to be the full focus.

I guess I could see having someone beat Leon at some point during the current PWC near the end of gen 8, but that'd feel like they're dragging the PWC out

Red and Blue

Literally The ONLY reason I don't see Goh lasting beyond this saga is because his First Partner is a Gen 8 Starter. Who is almost certainly leaving by Gen 9 (since the Gen 9 Fire Starter will need to be on the forefront)

Unless Goh releases Cinderace for some reason he's probably not sticking around.
Or they can just have Go catch one of the Gen 9 starters. It could replace Sobble as his "walking Pokemon"

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I mean it wouldn't be different from having OS-XY be the exact same "collect 8 badges and enter the league" plot.
In that scenario I meant that it'd be the same PWC (as in the championship doesn't conclude in gen 8), but I explained my issues with gen 9 being a whole new PWC too. I mean, at least for OS-XY you had a whole new different region,but if they do only one region in gen 9 it'll feel like a downgrade, while if they do all regions+the gen 9 one it'll be way too similar to gen 8

LucasMV

In that scenario I meant that it'd be the same PWC (as in the championship doesn't conclude in gen 8), but I explained my issues with gen 9 being a whole new PWC too. I mean, at least for OS-XY you had a whole new different region,but if they do only one region in gen 9 it'll feel like a downgrade, while if they do all regions+the gen 9 one it'll be way too similar to gen 8

They could do all regions+gen 9 but instead of the PWC, Ash's goal is something completely new related to the 9th gen that isn't gym badges.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
The issue about what will happen after the PWC would be that:
1) Going back to a regular badge collecting adventure would feel like a step down in scale
2) If Ash does another PWC, it'd feel pretty same-y as this one, even more than with badge quests, as there wouldn't even be a new region to be the full focus.

I guess I could see having someone beat Leon at some point during the current PWC near the end of gen 8, but that'd feel like they're dragging the PWC out
Yeah, I would like to see what will happen next. Ash won't leave since he said(staff said) that winning PWC is just one step of becoming Pokemon Master(Ash leaving anime would mean death of anime). I would like to see what would they create to be even bigger than PWC( probably second step of becoming Pokemon Master; only if Ash beats Leon in this series.)

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
Satoshi will just fall in and out of the Master-Class as new trainers and from new games appear. He'll probably beat Dande and then be immediately one-upped by a new trainer. Voila.

D

Deleted member 384931

I know part 4 lol, those weird sxord and shield guys from the post game

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I don't think they'd be used now. Maybe in the future, but I guess they'd focus on the games' main quest

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters

That's exactly why I want Ash to just win and move on to something else.
The random battles against COTDs are mostly as boring and dull as Goh's senseless captures, the rank system feels like a complete joke(Oh Ash lost? Let's get him back ranking offscreen so it feels like it never even happened!) and they aren't really doing much to make this actually feel like a Pokemon World Championship, it's mostly just Galar and Kanto! Korrina was the only opponent Ash faced from somewhere else, nobody from Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh/Unova/Alola yet(And no, some COTD appearing and saying 'I'm from Johto' hardly counts, Ash needs to go and face somebody from there to make it feel like a proper Johto opponent otherwise it feels like yet another Kanto scrub trying their luck against him)

With how the Galar gym leaders are already set up to be stronger than regular gym leaders, I don't really see the problem with Ash simply competing in another gym quest to prove himself if they continue that with the gen 9 gym leaders. It'd be awesome to see Ash actually enter a League comprised entirely of competent trainers(instead of Gladion, Guzma and Kiawe being the only ones there....) and win, then allowing us to see what happens after in the animeverse as we've never really seen what happens yet. How does facing the Elite Four work(Assuming there are any), or is Ash simply allowed to face the champion if it's another Galar scenario?
I mean he's mostly facing Galar characters anyways so why not? The PWC feels far more repetitive than the gym quest supposedly was

LucasMV

and win, then allowing us to see what happens after in the animeverse as we've never really seen what happens yet. How does facing the Elite Four work(Assuming there are any), or is Ash simply allowed to face the champion if it's another Galar scenario?

They're incredibly vague about it. In DP they hinted there was some sort of "Champions League" that seemed to imply something like a League for every regional League Champion. They never mentioned that again.
Then when Alain won in Kalos, he didn't face the E4 or Diantha, he just took his trophy and carried on.
When Ash won in Alola he fought Kukui, but that was an exhibition match, and since Alola works differently from other regions it doesn't matter anyways.

So I think the writters themselves never had a clear idea of what happens after you win a regional league, cause they never planned for Ash to win. And we won't ever know now, cause they already let Ash win one in Alola to be able to finally move on to a different thing.

I would've much preferred if the foreshadowed Champions League was this series goal for Ash instead. It would've been better than a PWC that came so out of nowhere that it doesn't make any sense, since apparently it's been this huge thing for ever but Ash never heard of it.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
They're incredibly vague about it. In DP they hinted there was some sort of "Champions League" that seemed to imply something like a League for every regional League Champion. They never mentioned that again.
Then when Alain won in Kalos, he didn't face the E4 or Diantha, he just took his trophy and carried on.
When Ash won in Alola he fought Kukui, but that was an exhibition match, and since Alola works differently from other regions it doesn't matter anyways.

So I think the writters themselves never had a clear idea of what happens after you win a regional league, cause they never planned for Ash to win. And we won't ever know now, cause they already let Ash win one in Alola to be able to finally move on to a different thing.

I would've much preferred if the foreshadowed Champions League was this series goal for Ash instead. It would've been better than a PWC that came so out of nowhere that it doesn't make any sense, since apparently it's been this huge thing for ever but Ash never heard of it.
My headcanon is that this is the second PWC season and the first one started while Ash was in Alola, which wasn't too big on battles until the league was announced, so there were no PWC contestants there

Blaze Master X

The Fallen Hero
Part 4's episode title might be:
-Sword & Shield IV: Mugendaimax (Eternamax)
-Sword & Shield IV: Awakening
-Sword & Shield IV: Zacian & Zamazenta

Last edited: