• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Sword/Shield Chapter

catzeye

Writer's Block
Y'know what, I've decided that I am ok with this. SWSH didn't exactly have a villainous plot. Just some guy who didn't think things through, his worst crime being abandoning his adopted kid. And Rose was pretty polite about everything, even calling to inform us that he had a little oops moment with Eternatus. Rose doesn't kidnap anyone, doesn't attempt murder, he just gets impatient. And it's not like with Lusamine where he could get mind controlled. Though, I do have to question where the plot will go from here. Maybe they'll do what BW did and bring in a legendary for a while? Like maybe Kubfu will get an arc.

Same I'm okay with is too (although I do wish it was Hop who was helping Ash summoning the legendary wolves as that's a big part of his arc in-game). I definitely think we'll be seeing a Kubfu arc in the future (the thing is too cute and honestly a very Ash type legendary)

Koharu with an Eevee is the highlight of this for me, and I’m intrigued for Drakovish.

Yes! More Koharu/Chloe focus is always a plus. And I hope Dracovish goes to Ash honestly

Hopefully we finally get an indication of what they plan to do with the 3 SWSH rivals, particularly Hop.

This. Like I want Marnie, Bede and Hop to appear at some point.

Rohanator

Leagues aren't "story arcs", they're just series of battles where whole episodes can be summed up with the three words "x beat y". The interview talked about how they wanted a series where you could miss the occasional episode without getting lost, nobody would get lost by missing an episode of a league and hearing the result of the battle they missed the conclusion of from the narrator the next week.
I mean I guess, sure a tournament is easier to follow week to week than a more varied plot, but it was still like 16 weeks of episodes that weren't standalone stories, a lot of the battles didn't even conclude in one episode and there were other ongoing elements like Guzma's involvement, it's a different type of arc but I'd still call it an arc, like how something like the Tenkaichi Budokais from Dragon ball or the Dark Tournament from Yu Yu Hakusho are arcs.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Somewhere in Japan an animation intern dusts off a file of reusable Eevee assets and sighs. I'm so bored of the female companions getting one. Serena's was ultimately used to market Sylveon. Risa's was a tool to market Let's Go. Lana's was added late and contributed nothing. Even the Pidove Koharu interacted with would be more exciting.

No Grookey in sight either. Pain.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
I mean I guess, sure a tournament is easier to follow week to week than a more varied plot, but it was still like 16 weeks of episodes that weren't standalone stories, a lot of the battles didn't even conclude in one episode and there were other ongoing elements like Guzma's involvement, it's a different type of arc but I'd still call it an arc, like how something like the Tenkaichi Budokais from Dragon ball or the Dark Tournament from Yu Yu Hakusho are arcs.

I mean, you can call it what you want, but it still has absolutely nothing to do with what they talked about in the interview, so... there's no reason to assume what they said in the interview had any connection with something unrelated to what they talked about.

They didn't say "no continuity ever, watch the episodes in whatever order you want because nothing that happens in an episode will affect anything that happens in another episode" or whatever crazy nonsense they keep getting misquoted as, they said "no episodes that are so full of important details you're going to have legitimate difficulties following the next episode if you miss it no matter how long a recap we toss in at the start of it". "Satoshi won that battle in that episode you missed" is not a very difficult detail to explain, and that's roughly the extent of relevant stuff that happens in your average league episode.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Oh wow I'm very excited for this! I have a few thoughts regarding this:

- Some of legendary pokemon on the poster: it'd be cool if they were showing up due to the problems going on in galar and were trying to help bring balance, the other pokemon could just be random captures or maybe pokemon theyre giving to the side characters?
- Lucario and Aceburn: are they going to come before the arc or during the arc? Since we have the zapdos raid battle coming up, it could be a great episode for evolution. But maybe one could happen during the arc if theyre going to both be facing off against dynamax pokemon.
-This is 40 episodes in about: now that this is happening, is the PWC the only other major event that is going to occur this series? Are they going to go through the galar gym leaders?
-Dande appearing... are we going to see more pokemon of his or just charizard?

Rohanator

I mean, you can call it what you want, but it still has absolutely nothing to do with what they talked about in the interview, so... there's no reason to assume what they said in the interview had any connection with something unrelated to what they talked about.
Well that makes sense too of course but it's just another interpretation at the end of the day, if I feel like I have a reason for reading between the lines I'll do so.

They didn't say "no continuity ever, watch the episodes in whatever order you want because nothing that happens in an episode will affect anything that happens in another episode" or whatever crazy nonsense they keep getting misquoted as, they said "no episodes that are so full of important details you're going to have legitimate difficulties following the next episode if you miss it no matter how long a recap we toss in at the start of it". "Satoshi won that battle in that episode you missed" is not a very difficult detail to explain, and that's roughly the extent of relevant stuff that happens in your average league episode.
Anyway I'm on the same page with this, whether it had anything to do with SM or not I never bought into the hysteria that interview caused, and I find the idea that PM could literally never have an arc due to being in the sunday slot absurd and I kinda hate how this Friday move gives fuel to the crowd who believed that since now we'll never know lol.

desdar300

I think the reason this feels so Outta left- field is because p.m. doesn't really have a way to gauge progression.
With the lack of Gyms / Trials we don't really have a way to tell where the boys are supposed to be so it ends up feeling like things kind of just happening for the hype factor.
Also this is probably going to be a hot take but I can see gold being the one that captures Eternatus as a way to Hype up his catching skills

Ultra Beast Lover

Legendaries actually helping with the threat? They've avoided helping at all for a majority of the series and let a group of kids handle things and now they decide to help out. Also I hope that Go doesn't catch Mewtwo. Catching ones that have multiple members is fine like Lugia? Strong but totally fine. But there's supposed to be only like two Mewtwo, possibly three. It's fine if it wants to hang out at the park to stay away from humans but he shouldn't catch Mewtwo.

Zweilous

Go-ing for Gold
Glad they're not shoving the villainous team stuff to the end of the series. I was kind of hoping they'd build up Rose first, but 4 episodes is more than enough time to tell the story better than the games did, at least.

diakyu

You remove the gym challenge and there really is next to no plot till the end of Sword and shield. Crazy to see people on twitter worried about the plot not having time to be set up but it's like we played different games. I'm struggling to see how 3 episodes wouldn't be able to do it, let alone 4 but I guess one will be dedicated to Riolu and Raboot evolving together (maybe?)

If anything Eternatus having already been teased is more setup than the games got lol

I hope this means we can get stuff like Ash training with dynamax on the isle of armor or something with this out of the way, that'd be sick

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Man this reminds me how bad the game plot was lol, Sword and shield was such a disappointment. My main hope with this arc is that we manage to see many GMax forms and galar mons, 4 episode is enough to cover the plot yeah but I would have liked 6 episodes to cover more of Galar along with the plot

JoaquinLorie

Predicted this happening since the start of Pokemon 2019, that there was going to be a Galar-only arc, with all the focus in Galar. People said no, he is this Pokemon 2019, he wont stay in one region for more than 1 episode or 2.

Red and Blue

Eevee is a nice choice for Koharu's second Pokemon. And it looks like Grookey is happening after the DD at the earliest

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Personally, I'm...not that excited for this arc because, once again, the writers are rushing a plot that happens late game before we're even at 50 episodes. This feels like the Aether arc all over again but worse because we barely even registered Rose exists, and that goes to the Medieval Doggos who are also just being introduced within the same 4-episode arc (we at least had Lillie exist since the first episode, but still). Straightaway, Rose is painted as a well-intentioned extremist. This can also mean that, if he ever appears, Bede will have a major shift to his character if Rose is taken out of the picture immediately. I simply heavily dislike how they rush arcs out of the doors without much of a setup.

...Also figures the writers can't stop giving a main girl lead an Eevee.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Personally, I'm...not that excited for this arc because, once again, the writers are rushing a plot that happens late game before we're even at 50 episodes. This feels like the Aether arc all over again but worse because we barely even registered Rose exists, and that goes to the Medieval Doggos who are also just being introduced within the same 4-episode arc (we at least had Lillie exist since the first episode, but still). Straightaway, Rose is painted as a well-intentioned extremist. This can also mean that, if he ever appears, Bede will have a major shift to his character if Rose is taken out of the picture immediately. I simply heavily dislike how they rush arcs out of the doors without much of a setup.

...Also figures the writers can't stop giving a main girl lead an Eevee.
Chloe isn't the main girl though, she's more of a recurring character.