• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Sword/Shield Chapter

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
Rose watched Detective Pikachu and engines a mewtwo to be a substitute body.

I think mewtwo here is partially an additional subplot to keep Go interested, since it's basically mew, but cool. Its role in the arc is kinda intriguing, though. By the way, suicune is in the poster too, but I don't think it's remotely involved with the things in Galar.

Anyway...Go is probably coming out of all of this with some new mons + cinderace. Aside lucario, Ash is apparently having zero upgrades, though.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
To be honest, Anime's Team Flare arc was terrible too. We only liked it because it was better than the anime usually delivers.
I think it's more like cause the plot was horrendously bad in the games and thus we liked it cause it wasn't the games. This will likely be the same for the Darkest Day where people will greatly like it in the anime while in the games we outright hate it for being so bad.

Jeal

I think it's more like cause the plot was horrendously bad in the games and thus we liked it cause it wasn't the games. This will likely be the same for the Darkest Day where people will greatly like it in the anime while in the games we outright hate it for being so bad.
This too. The problem with the games was that Team Flare was a complete joke, and they made no sense.
They made Malva too soft in the anime. Her main draw was being ruthless in her speeches when no one was looking.
I didn't understand why she changed sides. She seemed to be perfectly aware of Lysandre's intentions in the ME special, and then she suddenly has a problem with that?

It would be so much cooler to see her and Lysandre vs Ash, Alain and Diantha.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
This too. The problem with the games was that Team Flare was a complete joke, and they made no sense.
I didn't understand why she changed sides. She seemed to be perfectly aware of Lysandre's intentions in the ME special, and then she suddenly has a problem with that?

It would be so much cooler to see her and Lysandre vs Ash, Alain and Diantha.

Yea malva turning good made no sense and was probably only done coz the anime didn't wanna deal with kalos having 3 elite 4 members or what happens to malva afterwards

dman_dustin

Pretty sure the world series hurts any sort of build up storylines. They barely show up in Galar how are they supposed to build up anything, especially since these stories failed in regions where the focus was in that region. But they're supposed to do it when they aren't even in the region mos of the time?

So this Darkest Day plot showing up now, doesn't mean anything to me

1. We can't be sure of future arcs and what stories they might hold as in non-Galar arcs
2. We can't say there will be a definitive conclusion here, there could be other arcs later on and this is just a massive information dump and action for now since they barely go to Galar to begin with. So in other words, Rose's intentions aren't revealed, Eternatus is stopped by Zacian Zamazenta but flees and isn't caught. And of course there could be some last minute scenes of a potential future arc. And maybe a character can say "I don't think this is completely over with."

Could this be it? Sure this is a world series it wouldn't surprise me they would want to move on especially the opening implying multiple legendary episodes. Since the series isn't JUST Galar but I'd wait to see if this is it, with Eternatus getting caught.

But it does make sense to me why they didn't build this up.

She seemed to be perfectly aware of Lysandre's intentions in the ME special, and then she suddenly has a problem with that?

Knowing someone's goal/intentions is different than knowing how they will acheive it.

You want to save the world.......through genocide.

Master Pikachu 11

Rose watched Detective Pikachu and engines a mewtwo to be a substitute body.

I think mewtwo here is partially an additional subplot to keep Go interested, since it's basically mew, but cool. Its role in the arc is kinda intriguing, though. By the way, suicune is in the poster too, but I don't think it's remotely involved with the things in Galar.

Anyway...Go is probably coming out of all of this with some new mons + cinderace. Aside lucario, Ash is apparently having zero upgrades, though.
Mewtwo is not involved with the Galar arc either. It is most likely going to appear in an episode after the arc that mostly focuses on it. The only legendaries that will appear in this DD arc are the wolves and their battle with Eternatus. They are mostly going to stick close to the games in which the three legendaries are used and no other legendary that isn’t from Galar needs to be involved.

XY is notorious for having a terrible and rushed plot but that didn’t stop the writers from incorporating new elements to build up to Flare’s arc. Don’t think it’s an excuse when the anime has always taken a lot of creative liberties when adapting game plots.

The " it was bad in the game as well " is a pretty bad excuse when the anime has plenty of leeway to take arcs in completely different directions and build what is needed to create a coherent narrative

I'll just quote Jeal's post as response to both of these because even with all that build up the arc still ended up sub par and just still felt just as rushed towards the end... So yes, it may not be an excuse but like I said earlier, the world format just makes building up new elements for the Sword/Shield plotline not work.

To be honest, Anime's Team Flare arc was terrible too. We only liked it because it was better than the anime usually delivers.

With what we're dealing with I feel like it makes somewhat sense for them to just get it out of the way. Ash and Gou aren't in Galar the majority of the time, getting the tidbits for the darkest day from Sonia just wouldn't work, and I have a hard time seeing how the writers could have improved other than making this series all about Galar instead of the Pokemon World as a whole.

I have to agree though that they do and should do their best to ensure that arcs have a good narrative and build up before the main big event. But I am nowhere near shocked/surprised/upset that they aren't doing it with how this series has gone so far.

That's, uh, how it's always been in other games.
True. But at least during the BW era the game story was still pretty good and way better than what we got from Sword and Shield IMO. Perhaps my main gripe with the SW/SH games is that there really wasn't an "evil" team and that the game felt too linear.

You never expect the loony fans from harassing the Top 8 and suddenly go after the Legendary Pokemon to catch it in her name.
Did that really happen in the games? I don't remember them suddenly going after the legendary Pokemon, but then again like I said, the games as a whole were pretty unmemorable so I wouldn't be able to recall.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I'll just quote Jeal's post as response to both of these because even with all that build up the arc still ended up sub par and just still felt just as rushed towards the end... So yes, it may not be an excuse but like I said earlier, the world format just makes building up new elements for the Sword/Shield plotline not work.
The format really isn't an issue because Rose could've appeared in every Galar episode with a small update on him obtaining Eternatus similarly to how the anime showed Flare obtaining Zygarde instead of them just having it like its counterparts in game. While it wasn't fully explained, they also gave more insight on their reasonings for their actions. Despite the anime's interpretation not being perfect, I find it hard to believe that you find both to be equally rushed despite a good portion of XYZ giving more insight on Flare than XY ever did.

Your initial comment was saying you're confused why people are upset with the lack of build up because of the source material's lack of build up. The point being that the anime did add more than the initial story regardless of how it turned out. I'd rather have an attempt at fixing some plot points than just saying "eh, it was mediocre before so why bother?"

Well, I just rewatched the anime's TF arc literally a week ago and it was brilliant. Going to need more of a justification for this kind of statement...
Yea malva turning good made no sense and was probably only done coz the anime didn't wanna deal with kalos having 3 elite 4 members or what happens to malva afterwards

Uh, it made perfect sense. It's literally similar to how Alain switched sides as well. Both Alain and Malva knew of Lysandre's intentions, what they didn't know the means in which Lysandre would pursue his intentions. Neither of them knew the extent Lysandre would go and how many people and Pokemon he would put in danger.

The format really isn't an issue because Rose could've appeared in every Galar episode with a small update on him obtaining Eternatus similarly to how the anime showed Flare obtaining Zygarde instead of them just having it like its counterparts in game. While it wasn't fully explained, they also gave more insight on their reasonings for their actions. Despite the anime's interpretation not being perfect, I find it hard to believe that you find both to be equally rushed despite a good portion of XYZ giving more insight on Flare than XY ever did.

Your initial comment was saying you're confused why people are upset with the lack of build up because of the source material's lack of build up. The point being that the anime did add more than the initial story regardless of how it turned out. I'd rather have an attempt at fixing some plot points than just saying "eh, it was mediocre before so why bother?"

Yeah, that just seems to be a total dodge lol...

XY had literally been developing TF since the ME specials and from the beginning of XYZ itself. To make this comparison here is not a sane position at all.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
At least Zacian and Zamazenta won't get sidelined for the third Legendary unlike poor Xerneas and Yveltal, and then somehow get a strange plot with Zygarde mixed with some Mega Evolution energy we never see but get informed about its existence.

Fair points. Although I don't understand how you came to the conclusion that I believe that I felt both XY and XYZ to be equally rushed? In fact I don't recall myself ever stating that whatsoever? I simply stated that I personally believe that even with all of the buildup, the Flare arc still seemed sub par to me whether others agree or not.

But yeah, I am gaining new insight of why people are upset, and they're valid complaints.

Jeal

Well, I just rewatched the anime's TF arc literally a week ago and it was brilliant. Going to need more of a justification for this kind of statement...

Uh, it made perfect sense. It's literally similar to how Alain switched sides as well. Both Alain and Malva knew of Lysandre's intentions, what they didn't know the means in which Lysandre would pursue his intentions. Neither of them knew the extent Lysandre would go and how many people and Pokemon he would put in danger.

Yeah, that just seems to be a total dodge lol...

XY had literally been developing TF since the ME specials and from the beginning of XYZ itself. To make this comparison here is not a sane position at all.
If you think so, fine. I will not argument. I noticed you don't like criticism of XY, so it's pointless.

If you think so, fine. I will not argument. I noticed you don't like criticism of XY, so it's pointless.

Not really, I had more of a problem with you saying " we " as in many people believed that or something along those lines so I guess that's what I felt more annoyed about.

Dephender already addressed that bit though.