• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters Discussion Thread

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
Pocket Monsters is a gag manga authored by Kosaku Anakubo that follows the adventures of the trainer Isamu "Red" Akai & his ill-mannered Clefairy. It's technically split up into five parts: The original Pocket Monsters(covering the RBY and GSC era), Pocket Monsters Ruby-Sapphire, Pocket Monsters DP, Pocket Monsters HGSS, and Pocket Monsters BW.

If the original Pocket Monsters & its sequels are treated as one continuous manga, it's the longest running Pokemon manga to date & the second-longest-running manga in Corocoro magazine. Pocket Monsters is the most popular manga in Japan, even beating out the likes of Pokemon Special. It even got a cameo in the anime! Despite this, it has never seen a proper western release - Chuang Yi has translated a few volumes, but that's all. One possible reason for this is a rather simple one: This manga has very crude humor, to the point where Red and his Clefairy appeared nude in the second chapter of the manga.

Bulbapedia has summaries for several chapters of this series(original series, Ruby-Sapphire, DP). In addition to this, Dogasu of Dogasu's Backpack has been summarizing the BW saga as it gets released - you can read his summaries here. He also has a summary of Vol. 1 of the original series that's more detailed than Bulbapedia's summaries.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Well, Clefairies usually appear nude, but you don't usually, you know, see everything.

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
Well, Clefairies usually appear nude, but you don't usually, you know, see everything.
Touche. Although I'm just going off what Bulbapedia says:

In the manga, Isamu and his Clefairy appear nude at the end of the second chapter. Their genitalia are visible. This is a possible reason why the manga was not released in North America.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
It's not just the second Chapter

They do it a lot actually..

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
I know its not good to ask, but is there anywhere to read it, or do we only have summaries. pretty much only manga I haven't read of pokemon.
Chuang Yi translated a few volumes(listed here), but other than that, you're stuck with summaries or with getting the untranslated manga from Japan. Kind of sucks that such a long and popular (in Japan, at least) manga seems doomed to never see a proper English release(or even releases from sources we can't discuss here), but that's the way it is.

just mew

lol i have read some of them.. and they are.. silly :D

lolipiece

Staff member
It's from Adventures.

[img139]http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/9857/clay.png[/img139]
[img139]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/0/09/Clay_Palpitoad_Adventures.png[/img139]

Here's the others

Maxim

Beyond repair
Wrong thread.

It's about Anakubo's Pocket Monsters.

Leety

PokeSpe Enthusiast
I would buy this.

Since most of the Vizkids non-video-game-related products are joke manga (ChocoMimi, Dinosaur Hour and Leave it to PET!!) I think this would fit right in. I guess they don't want to do lots of editing?

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
It's my understanding that a lot of the toilet humor is just in the first arc. If they started translating from more recent volumes they could probably do more of a direct translation.

lolipiece

Staff member
[img139]http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/6460/ppmbwvolume1.png[/img139]

BW volume 1 cover has been revealed.

lolipiece

Staff member
Wow, they sure did make this manga seem like a joke version of Pokemon special. But it looks hilarious.

You do know that this manga came out before Pokemon Adventures, right?

It was the second Pokemon manga ever created.

Last edited: