• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters Discussion Thread

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member

Tomato-kun

I'm clueless ♥
they sure did make this manga seem like a joke version of Pokemon special .why you make this post a joke...

I don't see the similarities at all. They're simply both manga based of off the Pokemon game franchise. Plus as said this came out before Pokespe.

Last edited:

Tomato-kun

I'm clueless ♥
How old is Isamu supposed to be? Maybe it's just art evolution but in the recent scans I've seen he looks older.

YeahMyMother

Legendary Y
Looking for advise on which pokemon manga set I could start reading? any advise?

Maxim

Beyond repair
A random thought (I think there's no problem with bumping the thread, since it's still a sticky).

The more I think about it, I get the feeling that the "unknown Bug" that Red caught in Viridian Forest in the first volume was just a poorly-drawn Diglett.

It's obvious that in the first volume of PM that Anakubo wasn't familliar with Pokemon artworks back then (and probably didn't fully understand what was going on in the games - otherwise he wouldn't have put Mewtwo in Viridian Forest) and most Pokemon look kind of deformed (like that three-eyed Persian) because they're drawn solely from Red/Green sprites.

Looking at Diglett's RG sprite, I find it fully plausible that someone not familliar with this Pokemon's nature, and knowing it only from a tiny Game Boy graphic could easily mistake the "patch" of ground beneath it as some kind of centipede legs.

And I don't know why everybody (including Bulbapedia with their "Bulbadenial" policy) takes as a given that this Pokemon was a Bug-type. This was never stated. It's just a fan assumption.

By the way, someone delete those spambot posts, please.

Last edited:
People, I have very sad news.

I got this month's Corocoro hoping to read some of this manga's latest arc and it seems that this manga is not being published anymore. There is no mention of it at all.
After investigating a bit, I realized that the last volume will be released this month (2016/10/28) and will finish this story, after 20 years since the first chapter came out.

So sad. This manga is one of the most valuable aspects of the Pokémon Culture, but too bad it never became popular as its other counterparts.
I will miss this manga so much...

Sorry, I can't post the source :/

Coronis

In lucid awakening
People, I have very sad news.

I got this month's Corocoro hoping to read some of this manga's latest arc and it seems that this manga is not being published anymore. There is no mention of it at all.
After investigating a bit, I realized that the last volume will be released this month (2016/10/28) and will finish this story, after 20 years since the first chapter came out.

So sad. This manga is one of the most valuable aspects of the Pokémon Culture, but too bad it never became popular as its other counterparts.
I will miss this manga so much...

Sorry, I can't post the source :/

From my understanding, this series only stops being serialized on the main Corocoro comic but will remain in the bi-monthly Corocoro Special side magazine. Its last main magazine issue mentioned something about making its return to the monthly magazine after a 'power-up', whatever that means.

Coronis~

e9310103838

A random thought (I think there's no problem with bumping the thread, since it's still a sticky).

The more I think about it, I get the feeling that the "unknown Bug" that Red caught in Viridian Forest in the first volume was just a poorly-drawn Diglett.

It's obvious that in the first volume of PM that Anakubo wasn't familliar with Pokemon artworks back then (and probably didn't fully understand what was going on in the games - otherwise he wouldn't have put Mewtwo in Viridian Forest) and most Pokemon look kind of deformed (like that three-eyed Persian) because they're drawn solely from Red/Green sprites.

Looking at Diglett's RG sprite, I find it fully plausible that someone not familliar with this Pokemon's nature, and knowing it only from a tiny Game Boy graphic could easily mistake the "patch" of ground beneath it as some kind of centipede legs.

And I don't know why everybody (including Bulbapedia with their "Bulbadenial" policy) takes as a given that this Pokemon was a Bug-type. This was never stated. It's just a fan assumption.

By the way, someone delete those spambot posts, please.

Yea, this is only people misunderstand 弱虫 (weakling) as 虫 (bug). ;050;

BenLee really not taken

Hey everyone, Bhrjr here.
This manga came out before Pokemon Adventures.
Now, the one who posted this discussion said that Pocket Monsters Comic is more popular than Pokémon Speical (or at least in Japan), but is there really evidence to back it up? Also, compared to Pokémon Adventure, do you know how many copies has it managed to sell?

lolipiece

Staff member
Now, the one who posted this discussion said that Pocket Monsters Comic is more popular than Pokémon Speical (or at least in Japan), but is there really evidence to back it up? Also, compared to Pokémon Adventure, do you know how many copies has it managed to sell?

It's not. Pokespe is far more popular and well-known.

BenLee really not taken

Hey everyone, Bhrjr here.
Now that I see it, no one seems to care about this manga at this point. However, does anyone know how many chapters this manga has, and where people find sources of scanlation online? And also if anyone reads it or can give a genuine review? Also, if Pokespe Sun and Moon is in a bad place, this manga seemingly is in even worse position, as it mostly publishes one volume YEARLY, and is lucky if it can publish 2 per year.

Last edited:

lolipiece

Staff member
Now that I see it, no one seems to care about this manga at this point.

No one ever cared about it. It's a gag manga. Even if it was popular, it doesn't have a story to discuss.

However, does anyone know how many chapters this manga has, and where people find sources of scanlation online?

Linking to scanlation sites is against the rules.

Also, if Pokespe Sun and Moon is in a bad place, this manga seemingly is in even worse position, as it mostly publishes one volume YEARLY, and is lucky if it can publish 2 per year.

How is that bad? Like I said, it's a gag manga.

It's not trying to tell an epic story, so there's no real need to have dozens of volumes per region.

horrahforyou

Pokemon and Kamen Rider is life
Correct me if I'm wrong. Is this manga came out first before the Pokemon Anime?
Because I think Red / Ash's starter was supposed to be a Clefairy. But the producers chose Pikachu as his starter instead.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Correct me if I'm wrong. Is this manga came out first before the Pokemon Anime?
Because I think Red / Ash's starter was supposed to be a Clefairy. But the producers chose Pikachu as his starter instead.
Yeah. Pokemon Adventures came out an year later I believe after Pocket Monsters. They chose Pikachu over Clefairy because how it's color stood out more and was gender-neutral, thinking it's tough action-packed behavior combined with it's cuteness would appeal to all children.

horrahforyou

Pokemon and Kamen Rider is life
Yeah. Pokemon Adventures came out an year later I believe after Pocket Monsters. They chose Pikachu over Clefairy because how it's color stood out more and was gender-neutral, thinking it's tough action-packed behavior combined with it's cuteness would appeal to all children.

No, I'm asking if the Pocket Monsters Manga came out first before the POKEMON ANIME with Ash Ketchum. I know that Spe came out after a while :)