• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon", starting November 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
It's more actual proportion changes on Ash that make the style look off since he's the only non-Pokemon character to compare right now. A lot of others look fairly in tune with the usual (Mairin could easily have been a Sun/Moon character). If Ash was drawn closer to the proportions of that sketch it would likely seem far more subtle.

Or at least be drawn with a more in-game style. I don't think people would have minded if he was more like this, which still has some round lines:

[spoil][imgsize=150]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/e/e7/Sun_Moon_Protagonist_male.png/263px-Sun_Moon_Protagonist_male.png[/imgsize][/spoil]

Heck, even Red from Origins has a better design, and his design was heavily criticized, back when the specials aired.

[spoil][imgsize=200]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/2/2b/Red_PO.png/250px-Red_PO.png[/imgsize][/spoil]

TBH them switching in the S&M series would be more weird than the new art. I want to know how people would feel if that was Ash to start with. Like is the design really the issue or is the change the issue.

Yes, Ash is the main issue here. Keep in mind that he will appear in virtually every episode, so either people will grow used to it (either by tolerating it or by starting to appreciate it), or they will loathe it in every single episode. There are also some fans, but I bet even they were surprised by the sudden change.

Last edited:

Everlasting

Everything stays.
TBH them switching in the S&M series would be more weird than the new art. I want to know how people would feel if that was Ash to start with. Like is the design really the issue or is the change the issue.

Everything to me seems wrong. I am not able to grasp the anime essence with everything we have so far and this is a bad sign tbh.

This is all a bit premature but still... There's definitely something off if I get sad when I look at this:

[IMG139]https://68.media.tumblr.com/8967f5266a293fd86ecb92e02f3f1e12/tumblr_odlywaL7k01urwpefo1_1280.jpg[/IMG139]

GamerGirlNanami

Everything to me seems wrong. I am not able to grasp the anime essence with everything we have so far and this is a bad sign tbh.

This is all a bit premature but still... There's definitely something off if I get sad when I look at this:

[IMG139]https://68.media.tumblr.com/8967f5266a293fd86ecb92e02f3f1e12/tumblr_odlywaL7k01urwpefo1_1280.jpg[/IMG139]

I have noticed in the last few years for returning anime like long running shows that have come back or new series in a long running series they go for a more cute look. Take Boruto for example they are using this funky new look in the manga when they could have used the old style they had in the movie. Or even then ew DB stuff. Bulma looks more cute than she did in the Z tv series

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
Everyone is hating on poor Ash but really if any art style looks off it is Pikachu in Generations. They gave him an egg head.

I don't want to hate on him, since he is my most favorite character in the Pokemon series, but seeing him being butchered so badly and being "chibified" in such way is... disheartening. I mean, I bet anyone would feel uncomfortable if their favorite characters suffered a total makeover that doesn't make them seem much like their original selves.

First they strip him of his personality, then they nerf him too much in BW, and now this? He has become a puppet for the anime staff. A puppet that can be rearranged just because.

Honestly, I really hope that this isn't the same Ash, but just a doppelganger. We already had a doppelganger in Ritchie and other unknown Trainers, so this wouldn't be Farfetch'd. If would be kinda like... Mario compared to Paper Mario. Both plumbers have vastly different appearances, but they still are recognizable and charming in their own right and they belong to their respective worlds with their own developments. I think they should do the same here.

Excellent! This will be my new headcanon now!

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Well now that I've seen the SM anime trailer, I can't say that I like the way Ash looks cuz he looks so different, particularly his face. Professor Kukui and the other Alola characters look decent however, mostly cuz they're new so I'm not as bothered by how they look animated this way. ^^

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
I understand that people are upset by this change in style as well as a somewhat decrease in quality of animation and detail. Heck, even I didn't know how to take this change at first and my initial instinct told me that this change is bad.

But cmon, really? We get a mere 30 second teaser and people are already writing this series off as "I hope backlash happens" "This isn't Ash anymore, it's someone else" "He is getting reset for sure". We barely know any information about this series so I'm not sure about making bold claim like those. And believe it or not, animation and art-style is just a small piece of pie from the big picture. The plot, character development, progression, conflict, pacing and all it's content has not been explored yet, and that is a lot of unexplored region. It's ok to be skeptical, but constantly being picky about the animation and art-style, which isn't even that bad to begin with IMO, is getting a little tiresome.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
It's more actual proportion changes on Ash that make the style look off since he's the only non-Pokemon character to compare right now. A lot of others look fairly in tune with the usual (Mairin could easily have been a Sun/Moon character). If Ash was drawn closer to the proportions of that sketch it would likely seem far more subtle.

I'll wait and see how Jessie and James turn out.
Jessie and James will look like what Team Skull is looking like in the preview. Decent with subtle changes like no fingernails. But to their advantage, they don't show their fingernails often.

Everyone is hating on poor Ash but really if any art style looks off it is Pikachu in Generations. They gave him an egg head.
His head is pretty much the Pokémon logo! :D

Edit: ASH IS 10. Just because he may look mature, once you see his height, he's average and just a kid.

Markerz

Well now that I've seen the SM anime trailer, I can't say that I like the way Ash looks cuz he looks so different, particularly his face.

• His face definitely got rounder. The chin doesn't have its distinctive point anymore, it's been smoothed out. The point exists, but it's been downgraded.
  • I can't discern what's different in the eyes/eyebrows. Which got smaller, the eyes or the eyebrows? Either way, since that's where a lot of emotion is displayed, it gives a much different tone (doesn't seem as serious).
  • His Z's seem increased in size, probably done by Zorro himself.
Since it's a huge change, it's a polarizing change. It's not the 'safe' option for the anime to pick, so it's up to the writing to smooth over a lot of opinions. The first impressions were already made, either way.

noakai

So when can we start speculation on Captures for Ash in Alola? I've got my list of 7, that could go either way.

Somebody has to be getting Mimikyu. My money's on TR after they catch it after mistaking it for the real Pikachu. They'll probably end up with Bewear too. Given the kind of push it's getting I also think it's likely someone will end up with Rockruff. If Ash gets Rowlet I think we may end up skipping Ash getting the regional bird for once. Maybe TR will also end up with Salandit...? I don't have many ideas beyond that though.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
So when can we start speculation on Captures for Ash in Alola? I've got my list of 7, that could go either way.

I personally haven't thought much about what he'll catch in Alola yet cuz we still don't know all of Gen 7's pokemon. But I'm a staunch believer that he should stick to getting new Gen 7 pokemon and not catch Alolan Kanto pokemon. ^^

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Speaking of the preview, is it just me or is Ash playing hooky? :p Like he introduces himself on the first day and learns a few things but then the next day, he wakes up and goes straight to the pool, thinking that school (for him) is over.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
Speaking of the preview, is it just me or is Ash playing hooky? :p Like he introduces himself on the first day and learns a few things but then the next day, he wakes up and goes straight to the pool, thinking that school (for him) is over.

The school thing is probably very outdoor-based with tons of free time. Otherwise this will get boring real fast.

kickachu

Momentai!
most characters had reversons done like ben 10 omniverse even though some fans didn't like the design he was skill shown as a true hero same with ash even with the current look his dream is to be a pokemon master and with school and possibly island trials it will help him even more

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Glad to see in not the only one feeling a bit "Bayleef" on all this, glad some of us got a good laugh out of this...at moments like this humour, really...REALLY help.

I feel like requesting disappointed Bayleef avatar to become available on Serebii.

1474077868605-1~3.jpg

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters

Pikachu, Rockruff, Litten, Rowlet, Jangmo-o, Wimpod/Popplio(Depending on if split evolutions really are a thing for the starters, otherwise I can't see him owning one with Lana already having one), and Alolan Sandslash. No point in him owning a Pikipek now...... stupid Rowlett -.-

most characters had reversons done like ben 10 omniverse even though some fans didn't like the design he was skill shown as a true hero same with ash even with the current look his dream is to be a pokemon master and with school and possibly island trials it will help him even more

True, I LOVED Omniverse. But after Best Wishes, I'm scared of what will happen to Ash this time.

kickachu

Momentai!
Pikachu, Rockruff, Litten, Rowlet, Jangmo-o, Wimpod/Popplio(Depending on if split evolutions really are a thing for the starters, otherwise I can't see him owning one with Lana already having one), and Alolan Sandslash. No point in him owning a Pikipek now...... stupid Rowlett -.-

True, I LOVED Omniverse. But after Best Wishes, I'm scared of what will happen to Ash this time.

but this is ash here and we know he wants to be a master of pokmeon and not everything will involve class and he'll catch some pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.