• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon", starting November 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I'm okay with Ash being a butt monkey so long as they do it in an ironic way. If I wanted to see Ash torture trash, I'd read Cori Falls's fanfiction.

DatsRight

I like Ash being a butt monkey, but still doing things that make him very admirable and endearing to those around him. XY Ash had a good rare instance of this during the Pledging Tree episode, where Ash was being incredibly dizzy and hapless and starting to actually aggravate Serena slightly. Then he surprises her by giving her a present....Yeah, he's still her prince big time. It's part of the reason I wish XY had actually tried more buffoonish or at least eccentric moments with the guy.

Ash has always been one of those dual sided buffoons anyway, one that still has insight and care that surprises a lot of people, even ones that underestimate him. If they play a lot on that, he can work.

Sure have a little comedy and slapstick, but also try to keep the maturity of Ash ( which most likely isn't gonna happen sadly ) especially in battles and intense moments. If SM had that then I would like it more. But, right now Ash looks like a clueless idiot and is acting like one as well.

I don't think Ash will have any traveling companions, due to it being school setting.

DatsRight

Perhaps he could be one of those 'completely different person in his comfort zone' types for comedy value. If he acts like an imbecile normally, I could see them getting good humour out of him suddenly turning into a pro in battle and causing everyone's jaws to drop.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I like Ash being a butt monkey, but still doing things that make him very admirable and endearing to those around him. XY Ash had a good rare instance of this during the Pledging Tree episode, where Ash was being incredibly dizzy and hapless and starting to actually aggravate Serena slightly. Then he surprises her by giving her a present....Yeah, he's still her prince big time. It's part of the reason I wish XY had actually tried more buffoonish or at least eccentric moments with the guy.

Ash has always been one of those dual sided buffoons anyway, one that still has insight and care that surprises a lot of people, even ones that underestimate him. If they play a lot on that, he can work.
Yeah, this pretty much sums up one of XYZ's biggest flaws. While they were great at having the group feel like a family, they never really showed any conflicts or tension outside of Ash & Serena's fight in Snowbelle City. Everyone was always so peachy-keen with each other and it was starting to feel dull and annoying for a while. At least all of the other series up until XYZ showed Ash arguing or fighting with his friends from time to time

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Lack of arguing/fighting is worse as arguing/fighting all the time. One of the biggest irks is that the Y Quartet were pretty much Ash's cheerleaders. At least with Korrina, it sort of spiced things up (I was one of the few that enjoyed her arc). That group was as boring as Ash's character in XY. The only ones that had actual conflict was Bonnie and Puni chan... and he's a Pokemon.

Yeah, this pretty much sums up one of XYZ's biggest flaws. While they were great at having the group feel like a family, they never really showed any conflicts or tension outside of Ash & Serena's fight in Snowbelle City. Everyone was always so peachy-keen with each other and it was starting to feel dull and annoying for a while. At least all of the other series up until XYZ showed Ash arguing or fighting with his friends from time to time

I would be fine with little arguments, but I don't want another Misty or Iris type of thing please. Make it a bit more May and Dawn argument style. I don't want another beating Ash up or a " Your such a kid. " In my opinion, I liked the group because they didn't sweat the small stuff, so big arguments happening once in a while would be better for me.

U.N. Owen

Would that make Clemont and Serena the relatives who never really interact? I have a hard time finding character-driven conversations. At least Ash and Serena tried to relate to one another.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I would be fine with little arguments, but I don't want another Misty or Iris type of thing please. Make it a bit more May and Dawn argument style. I don't want another beating Ash up or a " Your such a kid. " In my opinion, I liked the group because they didn't sweat the small stuff, so big arguments happening once in a while would be better for me.
Oh no, I wouldn't want them to argue all the time. Just occasional moments like kind of like they did with Hoenn and Sinnoh. And they wouldn't even have to be with Ash. At the beginning of the series, I could've seen an argument breaking out between Serena and Clemont since she would get upset at his inventions getting her dirty or messing up her hair

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Would that make Clemont and Serena the relatives who never really interact? I have a hard time finding character-driven conversations. At least Ash and Serena tried to relate to one another.
Serena and Clemont had a few small interactions outside of Ash centric dialouge. Serena Bonnie had a sisterly bond and Ash and Bonnie had such cute, intimate moments (mostly one sided by Ash). It was really cute seeing Ash do his best to protect and save Bonnie even when she was unaware/unconscious.

DatsRight

The Snowbelle arc also felt a bit damaged in that regard since it sounded like Serena was essentially demanding Ash be a stepford smiler so she can continue admiring him. Yeah, she did at least feel bad about it and admit she takes his good side for granted, but at the end of it Ash went back to being perfect and enabled her. It actually gives a creepy undertone to him underplaying his league loss since the last time he took loss badly one of his friends chewed him out. If she can't handle him at his worst, she doesn't deserve him at his best.

I also feel at times it was just generically happy go lucky. Ash didn't actually feel that connected with the lot of them. I would have loved to see him more devoted to them, he was the leader this time, he needed trials as the adult of the group. Maybe he could have tutored or been overprotective of Serena, or play bully hunter for Clemont whenever his bungled inventions or geekiness made him a laughing stock.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Ash getting Rowlett would kill two birds with one stone; getting his starter, and his flying Pokemon. Thus adding an extra space to throw viewers off guard

I really want to see Team Rocket interact with Team Skull. I can this; Giovanni has them become double agents, however the family-oriented aspect rings a cord with them more than SPECTRE meets Yakuza and they genuinely seem to defect. Then they learn of the insane world-changing plan everyone besides Team Rocket has, and it leads them to return to Team Rocket

U.N. Owen

The Snowbelle arc also felt a bit damaged in that regard since it sounded like Serena was essentially demanding Ash be a stepford smiler so she can continue admiring him. Yeah, she did at least feel bad about it and admit she takes his good side for granted, but at the end of it Ash went back to being perfect and enabled her. It actually gives a creepy undertone to him underplaying his league loss since the last time he took loss badly one of his friends chewed him out.

I also feel at times it was just generically happy go lucky. Ash didn't actually feel that connected with the lot of them. I would have loved to see more devoted to them, he was the leader this time, he needed trials as the adult of the group. Maybe he could have tutored or been overprotective of Serena, or stood up for Clemont whenever his bungled inventions or geekiness made him a laughing stock.

I wouldn't say happy but idealistic. It baffles me that Serena is somehow the second most famous performer in Kalos yet has no press trying to go after her. Heck, I find it strange that she is even the second most popular performer.

DatsRight

And became second most popular after TWO showcases. Hell one is debatable since she only lost the first due to tripping. Seriously XY sucked for any sort of adversity for the twerps. They were always protected and in their cosy little team where nothing bad happened.

I am going to be sorry if Serena is genuinely done since she seemed a character that never got the chance to fully shine with XY's setup.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I wouldn't say happy but idealistic. It baffles me that Serena is somehow the second most famous performer in Kalos yet has no press trying to go after her. Heck, I find it strange that she is even the second most popular performer.

It's the same as nobody knowing Ash even though he competed in multiple leagues

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Ash getting Rowlett would kill two birds with one stone; getting his starter, and his flying Pokemon. Thus adding an extra space to throw viewers off guard
After Ash and his half team of Flying-types in Kalos, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they just gave him Rowlet and Pikipek.

volcanionmaster123

The Snowbelle arc also felt a bit damaged in that regard since it sounded like Serena was essentially demanding Ash be a stepford smiler so she can continue admiring him. Yeah, she did at least feel bad about it and admit she takes his good side for granted, but at the end of it Ash went back to being perfect and enabled her. It actually gives a creepy undertone to him underplaying his league loss since the last time he took loss badly one of his friends chewed him out. If she can't handle him at his worst, she doesn't deserve him at his best.

I also feel at times it was just generically happy go lucky. Ash didn't actually feel that connected with the lot of them. I would have loved to see him more devoted to them, he was the leader this time, he needed trials as the adult of the group. Maybe he could have tutored or been overprotective of Serena, or play bully hunter for Clemont whenever his bungled inventions or geekiness made him a laughing stock.

To be fair, she was genuinely trying to help him. It's not that she couldn't handle him "at his worst". The dude was out in the cold in the middle of nowhere for an entire night lol. Trying to help him doesn't even have to have a romantic context (although it ended up being that), that's just being a good friend. And it didn't help that he lashed out at her (not intentionally). Bottom line is neither of them were perfect

DatsRight

To be fair, she was genuinely trying to help him. It's not that she couldn't handle him "at his worst". The dude was out in the cold in the middle of nowhere for an entire night lol. Trying to help him doesn't even have to have a romantic context (although it ended up being that), that's just being a good friend. And it didn't help that he lashed out at her (not intentionally). Bottom line is neither of them were perfect

I think it was the whole setup of her speech against him, which poorly worded sounded like 'You're meant to act how I perceive you'.

Status
Not open for further replies.