1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

"Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon", starting November 17th

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Dephender, Sep 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joltik-Kid

Joltik-Kid Another year of wasting my life ಠ_ಠ

Can I just say this might be good considering they aren't blindsiding us this time like they did in Black and White? I can accept taking the light tone if I'm told that what will happen

2. XY Rules

XY Rules Pokemon Master

The characters actually had intersting interactions/did things in OS...? Weird, all I saw was Misty constantly yelling at Ash and Brock the last time I rewatched it.

3. Cresselia92

Cresselia92 SM Ash = New Ash

They were actually quite dynamic, but I personally believe that the group chemistry of the AG gang is even better. Every character had some nice interactions with every character, while also having some struggles and some heartwarming moments in the group. I think the AG Quartet had the best dynamics and amount of focus so far.

Anyway, about the whole Pokémon Sun/Moon and Yo-kai Watch comparisons… they actually may not be completely unfounded or Farfetch'd. In fact, both animes are produced by the same animation studio: OLM, Inc., which also produces Inazuma Eleven. As such, it wouldn't be too weird or difficult for them to actually "copy" or imitate the style of one of their other (successful) products.

4. Squirtle_007

Squirtle_007 DP Season SUCKS!

I will make this my signature XD

The amounts of salt because Ash won't be the Screenhogger Senpai worshiped by everyone that was in XYZ is too damn high.

The only thing I hope from Sun/Moon is compannions having SCREENTIME, we don't really need another Serena and Clemont with zero personality fading in the background quietly falling in love with Ash for 3 years

5. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Ruler Of The Galaxy

sees that you haven't sigged it yet
    Anyways I partially agree with this.

6. Shadao

Shadao Champion GETTO DA ZE!

I'm curious about the Japanese fan base's of the story. What has been their reaction been lately of this news? Especially when it comes to their target audience.

7. Janovy

Janovy Banned

From what I read, their reaction is identical to ours. Half are happy to see funnier Ash and half are dreading the new series.

8. roguedr4g0nite

roguedr4g0nite WishiWashi Trainer

What's their reaction to LilliexAsh :O

9. qazplmwsxo

qazplmwsxo Well-Known Member

The target audience is Japanese kids under 12 years old and they rarely use social media.
    We don’t really know their feeling through internet.
    Bear in mind that the ratings of YW always outclass XY but there is only little dicussion about YW on 2ch compared to XY.

10. CMButch

CMButch Kanto is love. Kanto is life.

1. "This will be like Yokai Watch". "I want them to fail because it will be a copy of YW"
    This will never be like YW, one guy made a clear comment earlier about this.XY had poorer and weaker views/ratings than BW. BW had like 5.0-5.5, XY had like 3.5-4.0. Hell even Decolore Islands had bigger ratings than Kalos league. Writers care about Japanese ratings. They want to change things. Seeing how YW was doing good at that time(2015) they want them back. They want their audience back, by making this how it is. They don't care if we don't like it. Priority: Japanese kids- kids from USA- kids from other countries- us. They think if they make SM like this , it will draw audience back to Pokemon. It won't be like YW. Look at Naruto. Is Naruto similar to DBZ? No. SM will be nothing YW. Naruto just follows DBZ's formula. SM will follow YW formula. If we go by copying and stuff, then Digimon copied Pokemon? Of course not. It won't be plagiarising.

2. "This will be like BW, worse than BW, it's slapstick comedy".
    If we go by that "it's slapstick comedy" then, BW was like OS? I watched both of them and BW was nothing like OS. BW had worse comedy than OS and BW had less fillers, better action, better animation. More battles. Just because SM will be slapstick comedy, doesn't mean it will be like Tom and Jerry or Looney Tunes. Japanese slapstick comedy =/= American's. They just can't change the formula completely. SM can have slapstick humor of OS and have action of like XY/DP.While we're on that, there's no indication that this will be like BW or worse than BW, yet( until we see the episodes). Just because it will have comedy, it's stupid to assume that it'd be BW or worse. BW also had action; All those tournaments, battles, it's just poor character development that made the series "shitty". Ash didn't evolve almost any of his Pokemon. If he did, BW would be better, despite his incompetence. That's why I hope he evolves all of his Pokemon at full stage except 1 or 2.
    BW had quite few problems: Iris being a douche, Ash's Pokemon didn't evolve, except a few, Ash being noob in battling(losing to Cameron, Elesa accident), Pikachu losing to couple of underleveled Pokemon). If SM doesn't have these problems, I would be fine with SM.I'd rate it: XY>DP>SM>AG>OS>BW.

11. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

BW's setup at least tried to convey Ash as hard working despite his incompetence. He didn't have all the leverage that time round. His Pokemon not evolving can be considered almost complimenting to this since a key execution issue is that all Pokemon in the anime evolve not from hard work and training but from divine intervention at just the right moment. Ash's BW Pokemon didn't have that convenience, they had to rely on boosting the skill they had to be competent. In didn't stop the OS Pokemon being iconic anyway, take Bulbasaur and Squirtle.

Along with stuff like a competent Team Rocket that could escape or progress if Ash wasn't effective enough, more focus on tournaments instead of incompetent antagonists that anyone could defeat, and generally less cases of other stronger characters or just dumb luck miraculously saving him, it seemed like they were trying to put him in a fallible position, it could have been a cathartic refresher, just it was execution that screwed it up.

Of course people complained about BW, writers likely assumed the concept itself was hated and that fans just wanted the twerps to WIN, WIN, WIN all the time.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  12. Power Up

Power Up ...

Uhh...you do realize that XY and Z already took some stuff from Digimon, Naruto, and DBZ? Lol, I don't care but I just want to point out that animes' take ideas form other animes' all the time. If everyone was original, then I wouldn't consider SM being a YKW rip off.

13. CMButch

Iconic part comes down to opinion; I dislike when Pokemon don't evolve except Pikachu. Squirtle should've evolved until Blastoise. Bulbasaur to Ivysaur.Look at Cyndaquil: It evolved into Quilava in DP. We all thought he won't evolve, his evolving time passed, but he still evolved. I honestly thought one of Ash's old Pokemon will evolve in Kalos league, but nope. There's still chance.
    But that TR being serious is a fact that it wasn't liked by Japanese kids. I liked it and I wanted them to stay that way. Kids wanted comedic TR and Wobbuffet and we got it. That's why we're getting SM. XY was too serious for their taste and they moved on YW. Pokemon wants to compete with YW, that's why we will get comedic SM. Again, I know it won't be like YW, like copy of it, it will just follow the formula, like Naruto-DBZ.

Taking ideas =/= being rip off. SM will take the idea from YW, Naruto did that from DBZ. It doesn't mean: "Ooooh it's copy, I won't watch this YW and DBZ rip off shits", like many people here stated that and wanting this to fail/flop.

14. CMButch

Also, I did a little bit of research of slapstick anime. I found this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rurouni_Kenshin
    According to one YT video this is slapstick anime, but has a lots of action. SM will probably be like that. Lol at all people who thought SM will be like: Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes.

15. phanpycross

phanpycross God-king

Rating what again?

Is SM better than BW and AGdespite it's first episode not having aired?

16. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

I still question what is a better sign of Ash's competence as a trainer, an un-evolved Pokemon that can battle brilliantly and stay toe to toe with powerhouses, or one that evolved (more than once) and gained all it's extra power through pure chance and the plot taking pity on them. Fletchling did NOT prove it's worth against Talonflame like Pikachu does against Raichu and had to be given an evolution from the cosmic forces for example. Hell not even that, it had to evolve into a bigger form of the bird just to even the score. Didn't that like, completely obliterate the message they wanted to convey in that episode? As such Pikachu is a far more commendable Pokemon than Talonflame, especially since he still had a much better track record than it in XY. Talonflame had to be GIVEN power and still couldn't use it on his skill level.

I also have partial favouritism towards the un-evolved Pokemon since they tend to lose a lot of their quirks and non-battle involvement when they evolve in favour of being stoic, mystical badasses. Only a select few such as Charizard avoided that character downgrade.

I believe it was TR being serious and not having their personalities that was treated negatively, not the actual competence per se. And XY Team Rocket could still be competent, just not effective because something would always save the twerps and stop them short of having to deal with a challenge like they had to in BW. As said getting the wrong jist of WHY the concept wasn't well received. Not because they lost their personalities but thinking fans supposedly wanted them to be the underdogs and the twerps to still always win effortlessly against them, even when they were BW level again.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  17. CMButch

I never stated anything about SM. I was talking about BW and XY ratings( ratings of how many kids watched it on Japanese TV; I think) Go back some pages and you will see a link.

18. Jibanyan

Jibanyan Well-Known Member

Boy, don't trust youtube videos. Ruroken has some slapstick but is not a big part of it.

19. Remix2

Remix2 Well-Known Member

Funny how there trying compete with YW now when it popularly is on a decline.

20. Power Up

Power Up ...

Rating? Lol, I think you're talking viewership. The viewership has always been going down. The ratings however have have been good for XY and XYZ. Heck I read an article about how college Japanese people watched the XY/XYZ anime

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.