• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon", starting November 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer
I'm sure the Japanese would prefer Ash having a satisfying ending then him rebooted until the end of time. And as said, kids watching today don't even care about Ash's older adventures so its no big deal to them.

Yes but the problem is how will they adapt to a new character? I mean it's been successful with Red. So yeah why not replace him? I'm just trying to see why they don't do it and that's my reasoning as to why. So it's either my theory or maybe they don't want to dishonor Tajiri :/
Who knows?

noakai

Yes but the problem is how will they adapt to a new character? I mean it's been successful with Red. So yeah why not replace him? I'm just trying to see why they don't do it and that's my reasoning as to why. So it's either my theory or maybe they don't want to dishonor Tajiri :/
Who knows?

They have like 20 years of promo invested in Ash and his Pikachu. Countless episodes, a ton of movies, lots of merch, and a lot of audience investment (how long have some of us been coming back even when we were unhappy with it?), all of it contributes to his iconic status. If they started over they'd lose a lot of that. It might work out and it might not, so I bet they don't risk it at all until the ratings are literally on the floor because then they don't have anything to lose anyway.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Who knows?

The easiest way they could do it is to confirm that this is a different Ash from a different universe. The reason why many are focusing on Ash's design and inclusion in Alola is because he is carrying baggages from the past. XY&Z Ash set the high benchmark for himself (and one that cannot be topped). This Ash should be his own original character and not tied to the previous Ash. Especially when Ash is losing his very own iconic imagery this time around (he has no gloves nor jacket this time).

DatsRight

Amidst all the debating, I'm wondering how Team Rocket will fit into the show. We haven't seen their redesigns except for their vague small appearance on the poster. Not to mention we have Skull seemingly working as antagonists from the start, likely as more lowly grunts at least at first, which might make them a bit redundant.

I'm wondering if maybe this might be a direction further into their more diverse non-villainous roles that some asked for. With Ash in school, I could easily see the Trio trying to shadow him by taking work inside the establishment and, as usual, likely getting a bit too into the role. After XY did so many call backs to their old disguises and occupations, it would be a sensical direction.

Julia Artemis

Also it's funny, really I wasn't that impressed with X and Y anime, and checked it out since I started to hear good things about the anime. But when it went into the Team Flare arc in XYZ I was very impressed. Really it was a better, well constructed plot than the games used Flare. Really barely seeing Lysandre was a much better way to use the character. Really wish in X and Y Flare was trying to activate Zygarde's complete and you needed to awaken either Xernes or Yvetel to stop them. Hopefully the plot of Sun and Moon will end as well as they've done with X and Y's anime

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
The easiest way they could do it is to confirm that this is a different Ash from a different universe. The reason why many are focusing on Ash's design and inclusion in Alola is because he is carrying baggages from the past. XY&Z Ash set the high benchmark for himself (and one that cannot be topped). This Ash should be his own original character and not tied to the previous Ash. Especially when Ash is losing his very own iconic imagery this time around (he has no gloves nor jacket this time).

Eh... I guess that if Ash will be truly dumbed down, I will consider the series as a whole a sort of spin-off. I mean, if ORAS is an alternate dimension of the original RSE, nothing stops SuMo from being an "alternate" dimension of the anime. If all, that would make the design and premise easier to stomach.

Torterraaaa

Haven't had a chance to post today. But dear god Ash's face. Where is his nose? As others have said, it looks like a character inspired by Ash. But it doesn't look like Ash. Imo, the drastically different animation style also makes it less likely that past characters will visit :-(

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer
Haven't had a chance to post today. But dear god Ash's face. Where is his nose? As others have said, it looks like a character inspired by Ash. But it doesn't look like Ash. Imo, the drastically different animation style also makes it less likely that past characters will visit :-(

RIP Serena.
Unless the anime will pull a Teen Titans Go on us and bring back Serena in this artwork like they did with Terra :p

Genaller

Silver Soul
Last edited:

ConUxie223

Kalos Trap Queen
Eh... I guess that if Ash will be truly dumbed down, I will consider the series as a whole a sort of spin-off. I mean, if ORAS is an alternate dimension of the original RSE, nothing stops SuMo from being an "alternate" dimension of the anime. If all, that would make the design and premise easier to stomach.

Deluding yourself into thinking it's a spin off would be futile because the series will likely lead into the next generation... So unless you want to disregard every Pokemon anime generation henceforth, you're going to have a hard time stomaching it regardless. And unless XYZ ends with no mention of Alola and Ash deciding to attend The Alolan Island Academies (which I doubt), you would be aware that it is within the same universe at the end anyways.

It's so strange that the people complaining of the new series premise and Ash's character design are seemingly perfectly fine with Pokemon being utterly stagnate and repetitive like series prior. People's inability to accept change and innovation will always baffle me. But alas, there were complaints on the redundancy of the Pokemon anime not even a few weeks ago... *Sigh* The series with a protagonist that never ages and a fandom that never changes.

diakyu

I better not see people complaining about "all that school hype for nothing" when the show starts to focus more on the adventuring through the region after the first few episodes focus on the school. I have to be 20 episodes into to school shenanigans before I believe the show is going full school focused.

volcanionmaster123

AU and reboots can work depending on the circumstance. Teen titans go is an example of doing it really ******* poorly. In this case in particular, it definitely could('ve). A scenario can play out like this: we see AU Satoshi's POV for about a year and a half, and for plot reasons, he has to interact with XY Satoshi (who could possibly still be in Kalos) and "have to fight a threat to save space and time and their own universes". (corny as hell Ik) but I've been hearing rumors about the Sundial being related to Alola as a portal. This won't interfere with marketing because Satoshi and Pikachu are very much alive... just in a separate universe

That being said, I HIGHLY doubt the writers would do this, but it'd be cool for a nice 20th anniversary gift

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Deluding yourself into thinking it's a spin off would be futile because the series will likely lead into the next generation... So unless you want to disregard every Pokemon anime generation henceforth, you're going to have a hard time stomaching it regardless. And unless XYZ ends with no mention of Alola and Ash deciding to attend The Alolan Island Academies (which I doubt), you would be aware that it is within the same universe at the end anyways.

It's so strange that the people complaining of the new series premise and Ash's character design are seemingly perfectly fine with Pokemon being utterly stagnate and repetitive like series prior. People's inability to accept change and innovation will always baffle me. But alas, there were complaints on the redundancy of the Pokemon anime not even a few weeks ago... *Sigh* The series with a protagonist that never ages and a fandom that never changes.

The question is which changes are necessary and which are not. The premise itself is not bad. In fact, it's a refreshing change of pace after the 8 Gym Leaders and League format. The problem is that it features Ash. And not Ash of XY&Z trying to build his own League/mentoring new trainers, but what appears to be an Ash that is a newbie student trainer that looks way to different for anyone to connect it with Ash of the past. If the premise had a new protagonist or if simply expand about what XY&Z has started with Ash, it would have been well more received.

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer

I've said it before that I had a hard time with the new Ben 10 design for Omniverse but after a while I had gotten used to it. Perhaps like after 10 eps of Sun and Moon I will be used to it. Anyways my primary intention for watching the anime was for legendaries and in this season for Lillie.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
I would think the true indicator of the show's future comes from the games. I'm not sure how the finances work, but is the anime's ability to produce content largely dependent on the franchise as a whole? Or, are they able to sustain their own costs?

The games are taking a huge swing in direction. I'm a skeptic of it until I get to try it myself, but I won't deny that this could potentially be what Pokemon needs to reinvigorate it. Not to say Pokemon's doing poorly, but considering more success = more money, I can see the appeal taking 'risks.'

The anime might be on board with the concept. We won't know until November.

So basically Pokémon is doing a slow Suicide like Sonic did with his games, change everything until nobody cares?

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash

So now it's bad to have a headcanon? I won't go around claiming that my future headcanon will be better than a true canon, if this is what worries you. Besides, I have all the rights to express my initial distaste toward what I have seen, just like people have the right to be hyped.

Will I change my opinion in the future? Maybe it will, maybe it won't. However, so far there are way too many red flags waving in front of my face for me to simply ignore, so if I find that this series will be as horrible as the general style, then I will spare myself the torture to go through this mess. I certainly don't want my blood pressure to raise out of annoyance and disgust, that's for sure.

I'm all about changes, but a change may be positive or negative. So far, it looks more negative than positive to me.

However, tastes are tastes. I'm not going to say anything if people will like that new series, but it simply isn't my cup of tea and I simply expressed my overall opinion. And it seems that I'm not the only one who isn't very thrilled by this sudden change.

Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if Pokémon Sun and Moon will become the new "The Looney Tunes Show", with the series as a whole losing its original charm and core.

So basically Pokémon is doing a slow Suicide like Sonic did with his games, change everything until nobody cares?

Heh. I somewhat wish this happened. At least it would be a nice wake up slap for the anime staff, which could lead to a better written anime.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.