1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pocket Monsters XY Character Review Thread

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Dephender, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

I think XY has done well in making most of the cast rather likeable, but feels a bit diluted in actual arcs. As said, most of the character arcs felt short. They get loads of neat little personality displays, very few of the main cast feel boring and even most of the Pokemon all have good personalities and interactions, but in terms of progression, it feels limited, and still heavily skewed by the show's accursed plot armour. There's not that great a sense of accomplishment a lot of the time.

Some have also dumbed down as things have progressed. Clemont has become more and more superfluous and Team Rocket have pretty much slipped back into full time incompetent filler and appearing in episodes they aren't needed. They still get fun personality moments for comic relief however. This seems to be XY's best point, compared to other eras, that do better arcs, but sometimes at the cost of making their cast more boring to watch from diluting their foibles.

Ironically the one character that is making blatant progression is Ash, who many complain is the blandest of the cast (Greninja is also slowly turning into more of a plot device as the series goes on).

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  2. U.N. Owen

U.N. Owen In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

Progression in his training career, not as a character. While I admit he has developed, he is no where near a rounded character as he lacks many traits that aren't connected to being a trainer.

3. Soniman

Soniman Break the Limit

Depending on this current arc goes id argue it falls more on the character side then trainer side

That said, before this he wass pretty static for most of XY

it wasnt scrapped, it concluded, theres a diffrence

Serena started to late, 40 episodes wasted on minimal focus, Clemont peaked to early getting not a lot after Lumiose, Bonnie and Ash are static but Bonnie is a lot better then Max in terms of what the writers can do with a kid character.

That said, once Serena's arc got started she was good, Clemont is the only male companion who's really had an arc and Ash is finally getting something.

honestly I still prefer DP in terms of development but for pokemon XY isnt to bad either

4. DatsRight

Many complain DP has the opposite lop sidedness, having good arcs but being lacking in terms of characterisation and personality moments. I've heard it stated over and over that the DP companions had the most non existent chemistry.

5. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Anta Baka!

Tbh it was only Dawns and Brock's chemistry that was almost non existent. I feel that XYs group chemistry has the same problem with Serenas and Clemonts chemistry, but the last dub episode did improve their chemistry a little bit.

6. DatsRight

I think since BW they've been trying to downplay that whole 'the heroes are more boring than the villains' ethic many fans had. Not that the heroes were perpetually boring in OS-DP, but they tended to be more down to earth counterparts and at times their activity did get rather mundane until the trio appeared.

BW and XY have tried making them more free game to the show's wackiness, most of the companions have a rather vivid quirk (Clemont being a wacky inventor whose creations nearly always cause slapstick abuse for example) and are more capable of creating strange plot twists by themselves. They've also experimented with having them hold entire episodes by themselves. This is probably a reason a lot of fans feel a call for more hero-exclusive episodes, since Team Rocket aren't always needed to spice up a plot anymore.

I feel like making the trio more threatening for a long duration (and for a while far less comical) was also a remedy for this. They wanted you to like the trio, not root for them OVER Ash's team.

This may be why the XY team, despite not being as fulfilled as most of the previous cast, still seem somewhat compelling and endearing to watch. There do seem to be plenty of people who would watch a Clemont or Serena filler episode over Tracy's entire arc.

7. Dragalge

Dragalge Countey

Ash and Brock's chemistry wasn't really that much better either imo. As for XY's group dynamic, I'd place it around AG's chemistry. Ash!Clemont and Serena!Bonnie are good but the other dynamics could use more work. At least to me.

8. Navin

Navin MALDREAD

They absolutely delivered in writing Alain, a bonafide anti-hero, and Manon, and giving four great specials with them. Act III is still the best episode in XY so far. Best ship Kalos too.

9. Platinum fan.

Platinum fan. RetiredPokemonMaster

Ash progresses as a trainer, not as a actual character. And yes I am one of those fans who considers him the worst of the characters. The last time Ash did any mature character growth was AG. After that it's just been rinse repeat with his character and now in XY he's nothing but a unbeatable obstacle that I want to see Tierno or Sawyer beat. I have no emotional attachment to the character despite the fact that he is the main character, so when they give him these achievements like beating legendary Pokemon or beating down Champion's top Pokemon I don't even care because the anime has failed to make me care for Ash as a character. XY might be the Ash glory season but his only strong point is Pokemon trainer, not as a charismatic main character.

10. Soniman

Soniman Break the Limit

Literally roll my eyes everytime this gets brought up. Aside from the fact that DP doesnt focus much on the trio's relationship as a whole ad on the larger world. Ash and Dawn's relationship was great and one of my favorites in the showw, Ash and Brock still had that brotherly thing going on, its only the fact that Dawn/Brock is weaksauce that people overexaggerate how "terrible" the DP Group was.

I also completely disagree about DP lacking personality moments but thats an argument for another time

I dont think youve really made a lot of posts that havent alluded to this in some way xD

11. DatsRight

I'll give credit to XY over Pokemon interactions. Most of them have at least some distinct chemistries with others, even ones that aren't with the same trainer. We also see them a lot more besides just coming out for events or battling. TR's two battlers feel the closest to full characters out of their past teams, besides Meowth and Wobbuffet, and most of the hero Pokemon have had broadened interactions besides just via their trainers (eg. Clemont's Chespin rivalling Serena's Pancham, or Ash's Goodra's phobia turned friendship with Clemont's Dedenne). It makes them feel a bit more like they're the focus of the show.

A lot of times beforehand this sort of stuff was sparse besides the Pikachu shorts, and even the ones in previous eras that had a ton of personality were mostly through their trainer than through each other par some rare exceptions.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  12. Mrs. Oreo

Mrs. Oreo Banned

And that's possible I guess and even tho I liked her, I won't mind if we have to wait a few years for her comeback. The way XYZ is right now packed with Team Flare and the league coming soon, there's hardly room for her any ways. ^^

13. DatsRight

Well, to tell you the truth we've been saying that for a while now and been getting nothing but filler that could have been used to implement her.

But don't worry, Team Flare are on their way, and there's not gonna be just one Zygarde, they'll be like five of 'em, and they're HUGE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RaGLtJaZjs

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  14. Mrs. Oreo

Mrs. Oreo Banned

Hmmm well I am slightly unnerved with how much filler we've gotten recently, and aside from Iris missing a chance to turn up, I wish we could've seen Drasna, Wikstrom or even AZ show up during the down time in this arc. ^^;

15. Squirtle_007

Squirtle_007 Well-Known Member

Of course not, after the Lumiose Curbstoming Fiasco, Clemont became an inexistent filler fodder, and Serena's career was the blandest quest the writers had the disgrace to make, and now that it got the axe, she is what she was in the beggining: Shipping fodder ... with shorter hair.

I hope Sun/Moon companions won't be as bland as Ash's Cheerleaders Squad is right now

16. ssquaderi

ssquaderi Well-Known Member

What does everyone think about the fates of Clemont, Bonnie, Serena and even Ash... Even though it's nearly impossible for Ash not to be in SM, it still is possible though I doubt it, as I've said in about three threads I really want Serena to go with Ash in SM and their travelling partner to be the new girl who also goes after badges while Serena goes after Contests/Showcases. Really wonder what's going to happen with Clemont and Bonnie other than random cameos watching Ash at the next League. Are they going to do more specials like how Cilan met Brock, it would be kinda cool for a Max meets Bonnie special.

17. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

They're all going to be left in Kalos. Serena has the thing with Palermo and Clemont/Bonnie can't leave Kalos because of his Gym job.
    A better fate than being sent to Johto like almost every other past companion.

18. WaterShuriken

WaterShuriken Well-Known Member

I got the plot. Professor Birch decides to visit Sycamore for professor stuff. So with Caroline's permission Max goes along as May is out Coordinating. So they arrive at Lumiose City. Bonnie is with Limone visiting Sycamore as they are researching Mega Evolution. While the adults adult, Bonnie and Max meet. Hinjinx happen and they have to save Dedenne. Max gets salty May never caught anything for him. At the end Max tells Bonnie that he is going to bug May to catch Ralts for him.

19. Xeogran

Xeogran Hajimemashite.

Is Steven done appearing? I hope not because he actively took part in the Mega Evo specials and to see him suddenly miss the finale would be a shame.

20. Vincentium

Vincentium Beyond Evolution

The idea of him and Diantha helping out against Team Flare excites me for many reasons. I also wish to see him appear in here since he is involved in materializing that stone that Team Flare obtained.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.