• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters XY Character Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janovy

Banned
So I hope you can understand why im really frustrated seeing all of that thrown away to make him into generic tough league rival who battles Ash
Since Chespin's condition is improving there is no reason for Alain to be brooding all the time.

Navin

MALDREAD
BUT MANON WAS HIS FIRST PRIORITY, he was power hungry in Act 1-2 but after the fall out in Act IV he dropped ALL of that for Manon's sake because he felt responsible for Chespin, it showed him as a good grey character who could be interesting and unpredictable. So I hope you can understand why im really frustrated seeing all of that thrown away to make him into generic tough league rival who battles Ash

At the end of Act IV, he goes Eren Yeager rage mode. He helps Team Flare capture Z2. He has to battle against more Mega evolution trainers such as Wulfric and Korrina. The league will be aplenty with those.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Since Chespin's condition is improving there is no reason for Alain to be brooding all the time.

HE'S NOT CURED

AND THAT SCENE WAS DUMB

Why in the world should Alan SLOW DOWN AND CHILL when he gets a sign that CHespin is getting better? Shouldnt he be FRANTIC TO CURE HIM NOW THAT HE HAS A CHANCE?

Janovy

Banned
Why in the world should Alan SLOW DOWN AND CHILL when he gets a sign that CHespin is getting better? Shouldnt he be FRANTIC TO CURE HIM NOW THAT HE HAS A CHANCE?
But he is? He will fight Megas at the League. :p

Janovy

Banned
That wouldve been great if he actually said that.

Buut he did not

He's going there to fight Ash, fighting Megas is just a fortunate bonus
I dunno, I always figured helping Mairin was implied. We don't need Alain talking about Mairin in every waking second.

PAndrews

So Alan was just shown to beat Korrina's Mega Lucario and obtain her badge. This in my eyes, means that the speculation that Malva or Lysandre would pull some strings can be thrown in the trash. Alan is doing it his way, probably fighting the gym leaders with Mega Pokémon most likely in order to get to the League, where there will be a multitude of Mega Evolutions. Hence why this sudden Badge-quest does fit his goal.

Alain actually stated he is entering the League specifically to fight a certain person, who he said would make it to the top. Its assumed he meant Ash, though he didn't name him (but Ash did tell him he was entering the League and in their last battle Greninja clearly gained Alain's attention)

So at this point Alain is literally there for a battle with Ash (unless there is some unnamed mega Pokemon appearing)

Last edited:

Soniman

Break the Limit
I dunno, I always figured helping Mairin was implied. We don't need Alain talking about Mairin in every waking second.

Because the guy was pretty dang obsessed with saving Manon's chespin?? Why shouldnt it be on his mind all the time? That's what his character arc should be about right now until it's appropriately resolved

Janovy

Banned
Because the guy was pretty dang obsessed with saving Manon's chespin?? Why shouldnt it be on his mind all the time? That's what his character arc should be about right now until it's appropriately resolved
I'm still expecting Alain to bring up Manon in the future. I doubt he's just forgotten about her.

Soniman

Break the Limit
I'm still expecting Alain to bring up Manon in the future. I doubt he's just forgotten about her.

I just dont like how Manon's uncharacteristically happy call gave him an out to do gyms and go to Leagues like no that's not what shouldve happened.

The League shouldve came after the TF arc imo, at least then Alan couldve been purified, resolved, and hoped to have had a clean battle with Ash at the League and an appropraite amount of time to do it.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Alain participating to the league makes much sense. Alain needs to battle many megas in the league. Ash Greninja seems to be a very special kind of evolution which probably surpassed normal megas. That's why Alain is participating the league. Not only to battle megas, but also because it helps Manon's Chespin. After the league gets interupted, Alain will learn Lysandre's true intention and him abusing Alain.

The most likely scenario.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Alain participating to the league makes much sense. Alain needs to battle many megas in the league. Ash Greninja seems to be a very special kind of evolution which probably surpassed normal megas. That's why Alain is participating the league. Not only to battle megas, but also because it helps Manon's Chespin. After the league gets interupted, Alain will learn Lysandre's true intention and him abusing Alain.

The most likely scenario.

Why is why Ash Greninja yeilds in absolutely no mega energy for Alan to syphon, thus not helping Chespin and only serves himself :))

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I just dont like how Manon's uncharacteristically happy call gave him an out to do gyms and go to Leagues like no that's not what shouldve happened.

The League shouldve came after the TF arc imo, at least then Alan couldve been purified, resolved, and hoped to have had a clean battle with Ash at the League and an appropraite amount of time to do it.

Alan's damaged goods as far as I'm concerned. No use wondering why he's doing what he's doing now. The only thing important to him now is apparently going to the league and battling Ash. Alan is officially like everyone else in Kalos. I can't wait for XY to be over and never having to see him or his Charizard ever again.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Alan's damaged goods as far as I'm concerned. No use wondering why he's doing what he's doing now. The only thing important to him now is apparently going to the league and battling Ash. Alan is officially like everyone else in Kalos. I can't wait for XY to be over and never having to see him or his Charizard ever again.

Tbh you gave up on XY a long time ago so this doesnt really effect you much anymore, I am/was still invested in Alan's character though until this stupid writing move came along

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist

yes love this post.

Damaged goods is the best term for Alain muah ha ha.

Although I am excited to see Alain in the league, I am hoping he becomes more open with a more positive outlook. I think his personality might open up a bit due to being around Ash and the gang while fighting all the strong/mega pokemon, which usually he does under Lysandre's orders so it's not as fun compared to the league where it will be fun in both battling and the people he gets to battle.
Doesn't seem like Alain has been in a big round of competitive yet friendly battles, yknow for a while if at all? All the mega users he has battled seemed to be serious and not really laid back.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Tbh you gave up on XY a long time ago so this doesnt really effect you much anymore, I am/was still invested in Alan's character though until this stupid writing move came along

True, but Alan always had me interested because of his story with Manon. But now that they've just put that on the shelf and turned him into another Ash rival, Alan's appeal just went sour for me. Now watch, in the league if Ash beats Alan, every single person who doubted Alan's strength and played it off as Malva holding back will switch sides and say Ash beat a Elite Four level trainer. As if Alan is now worthy of being called that now because he's associated with Ash now. Alan's damaged goods.

Soniman

Break the Limit
True, but Alan always had me interested because of his story with Manon. But now that they've just put that on the shelf and turned him into another Ash rival, Alan's appeal just went sour for me. Now watch, in the league if Ash beats Alan, every single person who doubted Alan's strength and played it off as Malva holding back will switch sides and say Ash beat a Elite Four level trainer. As if Alan is now worthy of being called that now because he's associated with Ash now. Alan's damaged goods.

Alan beats Ash and people are pissed that someone who didnt care about the League beat Ash

Ash beats Alan and I will hear "ash glorification (because as far as we know that's what this is so far)/Alan held back/he had a weak/underdeveloped team besides Charizard and thats why Alan won/etc"

And either way Alan's character is sullyed (he wins the league and yay he gets nothing out of it because he doesnt even care about winning, he loses and who cares, he battled Ash and that's all he cared about).

I dont see any outcomes from this Alan vs Ash matchup ending well for anyone and that's why he shouldnt have been at the damn League.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
We got the brooding Alain with the Mega Acts. We got a nice Alain with the episodes Ash is in. When are those two halves going to bridge? That's characterization 101. Why does he act differently to Ash than Marin?

I doubt that's going to be answered. Scratch that, I think the answer will be "Ash brought the good out in him."

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Alan beats Ash and people are pissed that someone who didnt care about the League beat Ash

Ash beats Alan and I will hear "ash glorification (because as far as we know that's what this is so far)/Alan held back/he had a weak/underdeveloped team besides Charizard and thats why Alan won/etc"

And either way Alan's character is sullyed (he wins the league and yay he gets nothing out of it because he doesnt even care about winning, he loses and who cares, he battled Ash and that's all he cared about).

I dont see any outcomes from this Alan vs Ash matchup ending well for anyone and that's why he shouldnt have been at the damn League.

Which is why I say even another tobias would be better than alain.

Status
Not open for further replies.