• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters XY Character Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I think people are trying to make Serena into Misty, so they want her to argue and act sassy around other people. Back when DP first started and people saw Dawn/Ash argue in Nando's first ep, and Dawn blow up at Paul in Roark's Gym, people thought Dawn had a temper and was going to be a bickering character like Misty too. People are always trying to look for Misty-traits in newer female leads.

I certainly don't want Serena to be Misty, in any shape or form. Serena's attitude from the early episodes never made me think of Misty, nor did any other female.

LizardonX

Banned
Well she's obviously not a may clone so there's only the misty comparisons left now since one would probably need to actually watch the show to see any differences between the girls asides from hair color.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I think people are trying to make Serena into Misty, so they want her to argue and act sassy around other people. Back when DP first started and people saw Dawn/Ash argue in Nando's first ep, and Dawn blow up at Paul in Roark's Gym, people thought Dawn had a temper and was going to be a bickering character like Misty too. People are always trying to look for Misty-traits in newer female leads.

Some people just want Serena to have a dynamic personality, which is fair since so far Serena has had a mild temperament and I'm sure some people want her to show more character traits. It has nothing to do with Misty though; how her name manages to get dragged into every single discussion here, I'll never know. I personally don't see how wanting Serena to be more sassy = people wanting her to be Misty 2.0.

Sephora

yes I'm back
Can't anybody please just answer my question? I said, "Will Ash's Charizard and/or Heracross Mega Evolve?

How would we know lol? Everyone is just speculating; we can't tell the future. Plus wouldn't this question be in the Pokemon discussion thread, not the Character discussion thread?

Because, in the end, this is Pokemon, not a soap-opera. This is something even the AmourShippers recognize.
Having a little romance in a show does not equal a soap opera. Soap Operas focus heavily on romance which clearly pokemon will never do so I don't understand the comparison tbh.

She just yelled at her mother after taking a fall from a rhyhorn. Why people expect that to be the defining characteristic of her is beyond me.

It is beyond me as well...

And wow, first Serena's been compared to Dawn and May, and now Misty? It's not going to be long before the Iris comparisons start :p

Last edited:

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Ohw, poor Serena... Are main characters always treated like that at the start of a serie ? :(

Lorde

And wow, first Serena's been compared to Dawn and May, and now Misty? It's not going to be long before the Iris comparisons start :p

That seems to be the natural progression of things unfortunately. I personally think Serena could be better than most of the previous female characters if the writers actually tried to develop her. I'm still pressed about her not having a goal yet, but if she breaks out of her shell and starts showing more personality, I could live with it.

Lorde

She either needs to be shapeshift into Sassmaster form or get a goal. Otherwise the complaints won't end anytime soon. And I'm totally not surprised to see that Serena's Goal has leapfrogged over to this thread.

Well the "Serena's Goal" thread was closed so everyone migrated into this one. And to be frank, this thread was already appropriate for that topic anyway. :p I'm personally surprised that it's come to this though; having to choose between Serena with a dynamic personality or Serena with a goal, I mean. Why can't we have both? I'd love for her to have a reasonable dream that she follows while also enjoying her character traits. Unfortunately, we seem to be getting neither at this point which is very depressing.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Well she's obviously not a may clone so there's only the misty comparisons left now since one would probably need to actually watch the show to see any differences between the girls asides from hair color.

She could be an iris clone too.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes

Navin

MALDREAD
Well the "Serena's Goal" thread was closed so everyone migrated into this one. And to be frank, this thread was already appropriate for that topic anyway. :p I'm personally surprised that it's come to this though; having to choose between Serena with a dynamic personality or Serena with a goal, I mean. Why can't we have both? I'd love for her to have a reasonable dream that she follows while also enjoying her character traits. Unfortunately, we seem to be getting neither at this point which is very depressing.

She should have both, but I think to lower to the complaints, one or the other should happen soon. I'm personally in the camp that I don't care as much about her having a concrete goal, but rather have a "dynamic personality" as you put it. Not that I'm implying she's 'inactive,' but I just want to see more of her character. Even if requires Amourshipping for that to happen, I still wouldn't mind.

I'm just going to be patient with her for some time. Obviously if she remains completely static months later, then I'll start to voice my own complaints surely.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The problem is Serena is the 5th female lead of the anime, so the writers have already used a lot of character tropes on the previous 4 girls. There's only so many personalities you can give a main girl character, without doing things that wouldn't work in a show like pokemon.

There's a reason there's already been some overlap with Dawn sharing a lot of traits with May, and then Iris with Misty.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster

Yes! This is what I want! A fun personality as well as a goal. It doesn't even have to be a big dynamic goal at this point, just something she and her Pokemon can do together to develop a onscreen bond between them and grow as well as having a fun personality while it goes on. I've always noticed that characters usually have a big goal but not a big personality or a big personality with a smaller goal that doesn't get much attention. Why not do both?

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.
You have seen this things around the thread
Member A said:
Serena is a clone of Dawn. Serena is identical to Dawn. Serena is like Dawn without Contest.

No, because I don't consider Salvia a Dawn clone, I will never consider Serena a clone of X. Serena is Serena and its his own character.

But doesn't mean that the difference between those two characters are more notable than comparing Serena to Iris, for example. Her similarities are noticeable (fashions, care about looks, being shy sometimes, great relationship with Ash), something that I don't see with Iris.

If it weren't for the XY games, Serena looks like a coordinator based on the episodes that I saw.

But the thing with Contests is a rather unpopular opinion that I have and that's:
The Pokemon anime Contests can exist without having them in the games.

I think so because the anime Contests and game Contests has a lot of differences (in the games there's no Contest battle, there isn't a Grand Festival, the ribbons are completely different, the dance and dress-up part of DP doesn't exist in the anime, the seals don'0t exist in Contest games). It's not like the Gym battle where basically is like the game with the exception that in the anime is 6-x and in the anime is usually x-x and the badges are the same ones.

For what I seen, anime Contests are popular while game contest were unpopular by the fans, specially the Gen IV ones. (For Platinum, SPP didn't care about them). And it doesn't really hurt Dawn/Hikari.

If you look closely, it's not a far fetched idea. However, there are two questions, 1) Why not bring back Hikari in that case?, 2) The anime promoting something that has zeroi to do with the XY as a goal of Serena is a bit rare.

And the Chateau, I'm being simple in the answer. If it's
The Battle Chateau, Serena won't have it as a goal.
A Battle Chateau, it's very likely to have it as a goal for Serena.

And one more,
Right now and with Seren having what we have now, if Serena has to leave early from the cast because some weird reason, the only main thing that the staff need is a place for a Fennekin (apart of a girl in the cast).

Last edited:

Lorde

Yes! This is what I want! A fun personality as well as a goal. It doesn't even have to be a big dynamic goal at this point, just something she and her Pokemon can do together to develop a onscreen bond between them and grow as well as having a fun personality while it goes on. I've always noticed that characters usually have a big goal but not a big personality or a big personality with a smaller goal that doesn't get much attention. Why not do both?

The writers can't seem to balance out dynamic personalities and goals at the same time. I often wonder if they actually flip a coin to decide whether they'll develop a character's personality or goal. In Serena's case though, it's like they can't be bothered to do either one of those things. They want her to be in the cast for some shippy reason that they've been pushing for since XY began and while I appreciate it, I know that most other people don't and I wonder why the writers don't try to appease everyone.

Janovy

Banned
People were bothered by Iris's dynamic personality and now that they got a calmer girl who doesn't call out Ash, they are still unhappy? Once again proves you just can't please this fandom.

People were bothered by Iris's dynamic personality and now that they got a calmer girl who doesn't call out Ash, they are still unhappy? Once again proves you just can't please this fandom.

I actually liked Iris' dynamic personality, and I miss it. Oddly enough, I liked May, though, and she was a calmer girl like Serena. I don't know why, though...it's weird, but I don't like Serena.

Last edited:

Lorde

Just rewatched the new year special and noticed a kid standing next to ash while watching the grant vs viola battle. He doesn't look like a COTD imo, and think he could be a recurring character or rival. Thoughts?

You mean that kid in the orange sweater who has big eyes? I'm not sure if he's a recurring character; at best I'd say he's a COTD/someone who will show up often during the Battle Chateau episodes. I think it's way too early to tell if he's going to be an important character throughout the saga just because of his appearance though.

Status
Not open for further replies.