• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters XY Character Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navin

MALDREAD
You mean that kid in the orange sweater who has big eyes? I'm not sure if he's a recurring character; at best I'd say he's a COTD/someone who will show up often during the Battle Chateau episodes. I think it's way too early to tell if he's going to be an important character throughout the saga just because of his appearance though.

I highly doubt Youngster Joey is going to become the rival...definitely just a COTD.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
I highly doubt Youngster Joey is going to become the rival...definitely just a COTD.
But his Rattata is in the top percentage of Rattatas

Navin

MALDREAD
I really hope Team Rocket literally doesn't spend the entire XY series as stupid comic relief. Well hopefully they'll find ways to have a greater impact on the storyline while they continue their antics. I hope they play a notable role in the future Team Flare fights.

That reminds me...anybody remember listening to this classic Team Rocket song when you were younger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47qYYEFiBB4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyu0vEMZAfk

Last edited:

LizardonX

Banned
I actually liked Iris' dynamic personality, and I miss it. Oddly enough, I liked May, though, and she was a calmer girl like Serena. I don't know why, though...it's weird, but I don't like Serena.

It's the nostalgia talking.

People were bothered by Iris's dynamic personality and now that they got a calmer girl who doesn't call out Ash, they are still unhappy? Once again proves you just can't please this fandom.

Those 2 groups are completely different people. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who dislikes both iris and serena anywhere.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I actually liked Iris' dynamic personality, and I miss it. Oddly enough, I liked May, though, and she was a calmer girl like Serena. I don't know why, though...it's weird, but I don't like Serena.

Probably because May wasn't really calm and subdued like Serena was? Serena is definitely much shyer and laid-back than all the other girls.

Sephora

yes I'm back
Just rewatched the new year special and noticed a kid standing next to ash while watching the grant vs viola battle. He doesn't look like a COTD imo, and think he could be a recurring character or rival. Thoughts?

Highly doubt it. Just seems like a COtD to me honestly.

I really hope Team Rocket literally doesn't spend the entire XY series as stupid comic relief.

If you are hoping for something else then you are in for a huge disappointment.

Last edited:

diakyu

Just rewatched the new year special and noticed a kid standing next to ash while watching the grant vs viola battle. He doesn't look like a COTD imo, and think he could be a recurring character or rival. Thoughts?
He's also next to Ash when he's talking to Grant. I'm pretty sure he fights Ash at one point since we have a pic of Pikachu attacking a Fletchling and it looks like orange hoodie has a fletchling hat.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
He's also next to Ash when he's talking to Grant. I'm pretty sure he fights Ash at one point since we have a pic of Pikachu attacking a Fletchling and it looks like orange hoodie has a fletchling hat.

I thought that was just Pikachu and Fletching training/sparring in preparation for Grant's gym seeing as they're using Iron Tail and Steel Wing

Probably because May wasn't really calm and subdued like Serena was? Serena is definitely much shyer and laid-back than all the other girls.

Yeah, I definitely agree with that: you hit the nail on the head here.

It's the nostalgia talking.
Partially, but I guess it's more or less what Cyber said that bugs me about Serena. May started off in a similar vein, but quickly grew out of it, gaining more confidence in herself as a trainer. Additionally, she had a less subdued personality, and was much more energetic in general than Serena, even from the very beginning. She also had this bubbly personality and was generally funnier, like dragging Brock places to get him to help her with shopping, whereas Serena has just shown an interest in Fashion and the like in general.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I thought that was just Pikachu and Fletching training/sparring in preparation for Grant's gym seeing as they're using Iron Tail and Steel Wing

We don't know if that's the case for sure, but I'd personally like to think that Ash is training his Pokemon again. If that Fletchling belongs to the orange sweater kid though, then I suppose that might make him a recurring character or at least someone of importance in the Battle Chateau episodes. I hope it's the latter.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I just realized the reason Serena is so shy and laid-back is because Bonnie is around. With Bonnie being hyperactive and cheerful and full of energy they don't want two girls being the same, so Serena has to be demure and quiet and more laid back.

It's probably the reason Serena is the way she is. I figure if Ash ever snaps at Serena for anything she might burst into tears and run away. I just can't see Serena arguing back with Ash, even May and Dawn told Ash off many times when he said something they didn't like.

BlueDragonfangirl

Yah, well guess that will make the Ash fights with every main girl character different, instead of the girl getting angry like most girls have shey'll just be depressed and question herself while Ash feels bad about what he said and thinks it over and says sorry. They keep trying to make these fights different each series, so I could see that.

I didn't think Serena was getting a lot of hate, she and Dawn are tied as my favorites of the series with May for second. I love these type of characters and hope she gets more episodes later on.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
I just realized the reason Serena is so shy and laid-back is because Bonnie is around. With Bonnie being hyperactive and cheerful and full of energy they don't want two girls being the same, so Serena has to be demure and quiet and more laid back.
That really has nothing to do with it...at all. Bonnie's a little kid, of course she's energetic and happy and such. During DP Dawn's personality was mundane at times, she didn't have a Bonnie-character around though. Not that's Serena's personality is bad, besides, when Bonnie is around Serena's way more interesting anyway. Even in her debut episode she was a bit rebellious and a bit of a sass master toward her mom.

Yah, well guess that will make the Ash fights with every main girl character different, instead of the girl getting angry like most girls have shey'll just be depressed and question herself while Ash feels bad about what he said and thinks it over and says sorry. They keep trying to make these fights different each series, so I could see that.
I don't see why Serena is obligated to apologize. If anything Ash should realize his own faults, look at his own behavior and apologize himself. It'd possibly give him some substantial character development and growth possibly, something his character stopped getting back in AG a decade ago.

Last edited:

dman_dustin

I don't see why Serena is obligated to apologize. If anything Ash should realize his own faults, look at his own behavior and apologize himself. It'd give him some character development possibly, something his character stopped getting back in AG a decade ago.

Um if I read the post correctly, that's exactly what was being said. Not sure where you got Serena "apologizing" from.

Lorde

It's probably the reason Serena is the way she is. I figure if Ash ever snaps at Serena for anything she might burst into tears and run away. I just can't see Serena arguing back with Ash, even May and Dawn told Ash off many times when he said something they didn't like.

So it's Bonnie's fault that Serena isn't as dynamic as people would like? Ironically, I had the same idea recently when I noticed how Bonnie acts. She really is too hyper for her own good and it's like her presence forces Serena to be calm because if she was more dynamic herself it would make Bonnie redundant and upset the balance. I really don't like how Serena is being upstaged by the other girl in the cast. I knew having four characters would end up being a bad idea and Bonnie proves me right with every consecutive episode. It's just unfair that Serena can't shine properly with Bonnie in the cast.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
So it's Bonnie's fault that Serena isn't as dynamic as people would like? Ironically, I had the same idea recently when I noticed how Bonnie acts. She really is too hyper for her own good and it's like her presence forces Serena to be calm because if she was more dynamic herself it would make Bonnie redundant and upset the balance. I really don't like how Serena is being upstaged by the other girl in the cast. I knew having four characters would end up being a bad idea and Bonnie proves me right with every consecutive episode. It's just unfair that Serena can't shine properly with Bonnie in the cast.

Don't blame Bonnie, blame the writers making Amourshipping a prevelant characteristic of Serena's character. I like Serena but I don't focus too much on Serena, I prefer Bonnie's personality a good deal. People who want a more dynamic personality have one Pokegirl and people who want a more shy personality have another. Weren't people going on about how Iris criticized him too much? I really don't see what's wrong with Serena's personality.

BlueDragonfangirl

Well, looking back at the AG group again. While I loved the group, they didn't seem to really know what to do with Max and Brock did they? At the same time you could see how close they were as the series moved on, I can only hope they do the same thing with the X and Y group. Right now they seem to be focused on the pairings we are seeing, I think will be seeing other interactions later on. I'm one of the few really looking forward to Ash's / Bonnie's interactions without her bro around :)

Lorde

Well, looking back at the AG group again. While I loved the group, they didn't seem to really know what to do with Max and Brock did they? At the same time you could see how close they were as the series moved on, I can only hope they do the same thing with the X and Y group. Right now they seem to be focused on the pairings we are seeing, I think will be seeing other interactions later on. I'm one of the few really looking forward to Ash's / Bonnie's interactions without her bro around :)

I honestly won't care about how close the cast members are or how many interactions they get if Serena - the main female traveling companion - ends up getting shafted because of Bonnie. It would be totally unfair and unjustified. It's already bad enough that Serena has no goal at the moment and likely won't get one in the near future, and the fact that Bonnie has more personality than the other characters combined isn't doing Serena any favors. I wish Serena could be dynamic and spontaneous too.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I think the writers don't want Serena to be that dynamic because she'll be too much like Dawn then. The writers strapped themselves into a corner here.

If she's too energetic and dynamic she'll be like Dawn, if she's too well characterised and bubbly she'll be like May, and she's designed to be as opposite as Misty/Iris so she has no temper and doesn't mock Ash. So Serena has no choice to be as she is.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
I don't see why Serena is obligated to apologize. If anything Ash should realize his own faults, look at his own behavior and apologize himself. It'd possibly give him some substantial character development and growth possibly, something his character stopped getting back in AG a decade ago.

Ash always apologizes though. I want to see a different type of argument between them so that the outcome will be different. I never liked to blame just Ash for the fights because they were stupid. However if they can make a good plot towards it then it could be better. I want an argument where I can cheer for Ash for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.