• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters XY Character Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I don't think the writers are afraid of making Serena act like previous female characters; the fans will always compare characters to each other anyway so it's not something that should bother the writers. I would just like for Serena to be more expressive like she was during her debut. We got a sneak peek at her true personality back then, but ever since she joined the cast she's been really tame by comparison. It's just disappointing that the writers haven't restored her original character traits.

Navin

MALDREAD
I agree that Amourshipping has become irrevocably attached to Serena's name, but she hasn't shown anything that would indicate she has feelings for Satoshi-kun in the last one month of episodes.

I think the writers don't want Serena to be that dynamic because she'll be too much like Dawn then. The writers strapped themselves into a corner here.

If she's too energetic and dynamic she'll be like Dawn, if she's too well characterised and bubbly she'll be like May, and she's designed to be as opposite as Misty/Iris so she has no temper and doesn't mock Ash. So Serena has no choice to be as she is.

Except in Episode 1, the writers clearly showed Serena's Sassmaster side, meaning she definitely is more than just laid back. And I really don't think the writers are going to try to make Serena as different as possible from the other girls. Plus, if that's indeed their rationale, what are they planning on doing for the next girl (barring the idea that Serena being the final Pokegirl/Ash's story coming to an end)?

Serena has shown to be sassy, irritable, cheerful, excitable, shy, nervous, and nice. Honestly, she comes across as a regular, well-rounded girl. Yeah, I can see the sense behind a lot of people wanting to see that entire range of her personality than what she has been mostly showing thus far, but she's hardly just one personality type.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Why do people keep bringing up the "sass" serena has in the first two episodes? That clearly is reserved only for her mother, who won't be appearing in an episode any time soon. She won't act that way in front of her waifu or his other friends.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Why do people keep bringing up the "sass" serena has in the first two episodes? That clearly is reserved only for her mother, who won't be appearing in an episode any time soon. She won't act that way in front of her waifu or his other friends.

Indeed, she lost that trait when she joined the group.

AshsPikachu

Indeed, she lost that trait when she joined the group.

I agree, sadly. However imo I think it's because she may be a bit shy towards Ash since she has a crush on him and all... I think once she gets more comfortable she'll start to show that sassy side of her again.

Lorde

Then it's just bad writing. The writers can't have Serena act one way with her mother and then totally differently when she's around her friends, especially since her personality while she was with her mom was ten times better than her current personality in my opinion. The writers are making Serena seem bi-polar or something. It's frustrating.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
If all people want to see is the pokegirl being sassy there's 150 episodes of BW waiting to be watched.
Yeah it would almost be like having Iris for another generation if Serena acted sassy more lol.
I dont really see anything wrong with her personality, its what her role and goal will be that worries me. I'd rather she had an active battling goal over a passive goal. Fortunately, I doubt her goal is to be Ash's waifu.

Sephora

yes I'm back
If all people want to see is the pokegirl being sassy there's 150 episodes of BW waiting to be watched.
Exactly lol

I dont really see anything wrong with her personality, its what her role and goal will be that worries me. I'd rather she had an active battling goal over a passive goal. Fortunately, I doubt her goal is to be Ash's waifu.
Her role/goal is the biggest thing that worries me as well. I still have hope that she will get a goal though given the fact that we are not far in the series, however a little hint would help too.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Then it's just bad writing. The writers can't have Serena act one way with her mother and then totally differently when she's around her friends, especially since her personality while she was with her mom was ten times better than her current personality in my opinion. The writers are making Serena seem bi-polar or something. It's frustrating.

It's somewhat realistic. I know I don't act nearly the same way I do like online or with anyine I'm really close with than with people I barely know.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
It's somewhat realistic. I know I don't act nearly the same way I do like online or with anyine I'm really close with than with people I barely know.

Same here. I know I act differently around my family than I do around my friends.

KKS-Lapras

I still laugh when people say they're "worried" about Serena's goal. It is arguable, that many of the characters from the past whose goals were clear early on/from the start, those characters' development, advances in their goals, etc were incredibly poorly done. Brock, Misty, Cilan, Iris, people complain about them all. Here we are, for the first time, with a member of the main cast whose goal isn't known from the start, and people are up in arms.

I for one think some good might come from not knowing what Serena wants to do, or might discover she wants to do. We aren't even 15 episodes into a series that will more then likely be well more then 100 episodes long, what is the hurry? Regardless what it is, Serena will get a goal, many of you need to take a chill pill or something.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
I think the writers don't want Serena to be that dynamic because she'll be too much like Dawn then. The writers strapped themselves into a corner here.

If she's too energetic and dynamic she'll be like Dawn, if she's too well characterised and bubbly she'll be like May, and she's designed to be as opposite as Misty/Iris so she has no temper and doesn't mock Ash. So Serena has no choice to be as she is.
You act as if all the Pokegirls are just clones of one another with no defining characterization of their own. Could Dawn, May, Serena or Misty scale a tree in mere seconds like Iris? Could any of the Pokegirls beat May in an eating competition? Do any of the girls have a crush on Ash besides Serena? The girls share traits that are similar to one another but that hardly makes them too similar for their own good. Iris and Misty are a bit snarky, you know who else was too? Max, the little boy Ash traveled with. Misty loved fashion though, Iris found it vain and boring however. Misty's goal got little to no exposition, Iris's did. Misty owned a jillion Water-types and was a Gym Leader, Iris was not and only had two Dragon-type Pokemon under her care.

Dawn loved flashy/shiny combinations, May preferred straight up attacking and causing pain while looking fierce with her combinations. May did regular Contest, Dawn did Super Contest. May never went through some spirit-breaking arc. of sadness over continued Contest failures. May was more laidback and showed some tendency of liking cute things, like imagining herself as a nurse, liking flowers(OH WAIT, IRIS LOVE FLOWERS TOO AND CLAIR'S DRAGONITE LIKES FLOWERS CLONES!!!!111) or catching an Azurill but she also was very plucky at times. I don't remember Dawn getting as terribly embarrassed by her rival and it being a massive cause for concern either with her unrelentlessly attacking and her not being focused enough to battle correctly or Ursula being as much a villain as Harley or even a villain at all. Ursula was more a bitch than a villain Coordinator like Harley. Zoey and Drew are world's different, May's Pokemon and style were vastly different than Dawn's. May's appeals seemed more simpler in the sense they felt more sharp-paced, quicker and less gaudy than Dawn's more sparkly, pretty stuff. May would teach Skitty how to juggle or throw flying disk as an appeal at times.

In real life some girls share similar emotions(All people do, boys, girls, men, woman, babies) and all but by no means does that make them clones of each other because they're different at the end of the day at the heart of who they are.

And really? Dawn quit being dynamic after early DP. There was no going off on Paul for being a jerk(She got up in his face for forgetting her name as well as his behavior at the Tag Battle), there were no sass jabs at Ash like what we saw in the Tag Battle episode, there were no amusing moments with her mom after that point, Johanna became boring as sin after that point in the series and rarely was the scolding pageant mom we saw in early DP. Otherwise, Dawn, she became more girl Ash-like after a certain point in DP. Piplup grew into an out-of-the-ball Pokemon, it wasn't one off the bat and even then Serena doesn't have one of those, Bonnie does. Quit trying to claim Serena to be a Dawn clone, you're the only one doing this regularly who I've come across on any Pokemon site.

Because at the end of the day the Pokegirls aren't that freaking hard to differentiate for anyone with eight or more chromosomes running through their head, oh my God, a five-year-old could be more perceptive with a crayon and Venn Diagram.

Last edited:

Sephora

yes I'm back
@Doryuzu: Nicely said. I don't like all the pokegirl comparisons and clone statements myself. Every girl is different even if they may share the same interests in some things.

Exactly and I agree. I find the change in Serena's behaviour quite believable.
And no worries, we are still in thr beginning of the series so we have lots of time for Serena to develop.

KKS-Lapras

Setting aside Serena's goal, looking at her personality, there's nothing wrong it. Serena, from my take, started out as "sassy" as some, ... CyberCubed, likes to say, but look at the context the interactions with her mom. They were about her mom's past/goals, and what her mom was in some ways insinuating Serena should pursue as her own goal.
Serena then went on to discover that a childhood friend, Ash, whom she may or may not have a crush on, is in Kalos.
She then picked her starter, in which I feel she picked one that suits Serena in many ways, it's versatile for whatever goal she might have, its personality suits Serena. I for one didn't mind Serena getting Fennekin, I don't see it as the easy or stereotypical choice, it just fits Serena.
Then she went on to find Ash, whom was already in a group with Clemont and Bonnie. With her past with Ash, his initial fuzzy memory of said past, etc, it's no wonder why she comes off as shy. She'll find a goal, she find her footing within the group, and the supposed sassy-ness will return, in the right context.

Lorde

Serena being more open with her mother and yet less expressive with kids her own age just seems strange to me; it's like the opposite of what I would expect in real life. And I don't believe she's all-that timid either; she blushes when Ash talks to her because she likes him, but she gets along normally with Clemont and Bonnie so I don't think she's just shy. I honestly don't like how her personality has almost completely evaporated since her debut. She's still a good character in my opinion, but I'm becoming more and more worried about her fate by the day.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Setting aside Serena's goal, looking at her personality, there's nothing wrong it. Serena, from my take, started out as "sassy" as some, ... CyberCubed, likes to say, but look at the context the interactions with her mom. They were about her mom's past/goals, and what her mom was in some ways insinuating Serena should pursue as her own goal.
Serena then went on to discover that a childhood friend, Ash, whom she may or may not have a crush on, is in Kalos.
She then picked her starter, in which I feel she picked one that suits Serena in many ways, it's versatile for whatever goal she might have, its personality suits Serena. I for one didn't mind Serena getting Fennekin, I don't see it as the easy or stereotypical choice, it just fits Serena.
Then she went on to find Ash, whom was already in a group with Clemont and Bonnie. With her past with Ash, his initial fuzzy memory of said past, etc, it's no wonder why she comes off as shy. She'll find a goal, she find her footing within the group, and the supposed sassy-ness will return, in the right context.

Probably because we've seen this twice over already. Serena's not a coordinator, but the whole "newbie female trainer picks a starter and travels with Ash" was done twice already with May and Dawn.

The similarities she has with May of being unsure about her goal and not knowing what to do, as well as the similar aspects of fashion to Dawn make her seem like the writers aren't quite sure how to differentiate her yet.

Kind of ironic that this saga seems to similar in set-up to AG, because you watch those early Hoenn episodes when May just joined and you can see the clear difference between how the writers at least let us know that she was going to do something before we even knew what contests in the anime would be like.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
The similarities she has with May of being unsure about her goal and not knowing what to do, as well as the similar aspects of fashion to Dawn make her seem like the writers aren't quite sure how to differentiate her yet.
May didn't want a goal, she just wanted to travel, she only discovered Contest by accident and didn't care about gyms. It's not a character seeking thing like the writers are portraying with Serena through her various passive comments. I really don't see how you can compare the two, Dawn loved fashion way more but other than that I really don't see what huge love of fashion Serena has. She was a bit concerned about her hat choice and thought Furfrou was fancy but that was it.

Kind of ironic that this saga seems to similar in set-up to AG, because you watch those early Hoenn episodes when May just joined and you can see the clear difference between how the writers at least let us know that she was going to do something before we even knew what contests in the anime would be like.
Or maybe the writers are just doing their own thing and not trying to emulate a past saga?

KKS-Lapras

Probably because we've seen this twice over already. Serena's not a coordinator, but the whole "newbie female trainer picks a starter and travels with Ash" was done twice already with May and Dawn.

Doryuzy responded to you perfectly CyberCubed, your so obsessed with parallels between characters from the past, that when differences do come up, you refuse to just let them play out, you feel like you always need to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Serena is her own character, her development will happen at the pace and in the manner the writers choose, so this over analyzing something we've barely been introduced to is just plain silly.

Janovy

Banned
She lost the sass?

Jesus Christ she just met them. She hasn't been travelling with them that long, maybe she is not comfortable enough yet? Of course she could be sassy with her mother, they are super close plus she was frustrated about the Rhyhorn racing.

So no, Serena CAN be sassy but that is not her whole personality. She did NOT 'lose the sass'.

Status
Not open for further replies.