• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters XY Character Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
That's true of course but at least it's a step forward. Because this is a quartet, expecting all the characters to interact equally is just asking for disappointment. At least we got something this episode, even if small :s

I'm totally used to disappointment; I even predicted that interactions among the XY cast wouldn't be very diverse and I was half right given that Serena doesn't talk with Clemont much in general and Ash and Bonnie's interactions have been pretty sparse so far. I'm glad that Serena and Bonnie are close though. I thought the writers would over-exaggerate their bond, but they've handled it well so far.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Next weeks episode should show Serena's "wild side" back in action. With jealousy involved she won't be the shy, calm, and quiet girl she's been in the last few episodes.

I don't think she'll go full on rage mode with jealousy like in those old Kanto eps with Misty, but Serena should be annoyed plenty if that preview was any indication.

I'd love to see a good cat fight in the anime. Serena must show some backbone.

p96822

Evolve me please
Serena's jealousy is ridiculous, it sucks that they're using old ideas they did with Misty.

To me this is better then Misty crush on Ash because 1 we know that Serena has a crush on Ash and 2 Misty crush on Ash never when to the top.

Last edited:

Soniman

Break the Limit
Watch as Serena's jealousy is overblown and it's actually a small thing that is completely a non-issue by the time Sylveon battle is over.

Lorde

Serena's jealousy is ridiculous, it sucks that they're using old ideas they did with Misty.

I wasn't aware that Misty was the only character who could show jealousy. :p To be frank, I'm only disappointed with Serena's new-found jealousy because it seems way too early in the saga for it. She just barely reunited with Ash and they haven't spent enough time together for her to be jealous of his interactions with other girls in my opinion.

Sephora

yes I'm back
The pokegirl in.bw was very sassy and by many was not considered a good character.

Exactly.

People can never be satisfied. First they wanted nice (with Iris), and now they want sassy (with Serena). I bet if Serena was sassy, people would be going on about how she is a rehash of Misty/Iris.
Every character is always going to be picked on by someone for one reason or another. It's the way of the fandom :/

I want Serena to be more dynamic, don't get me wrong. By why sassy? There are hundreds of other characteristics out there that would make Serena more unique in my eyes.

Last edited:

Monek_OP

bernie2016
Exactly.

People can never be satisfied. First they wanted nice (with Iris), and now they want sassy (with Serena). I bet if Serena was sassy, people would be going on about how she is a rehash of Misty/Iris.
Every character is always going to be picked on by someone for one reason or another. It's the way of the fandom :/

I want Serena to be more dynamic, don't get me wrong. By why sassy? There are hundreds of other characteristics out there.

Unless. Unless, they're the first character and therefore everyone's blinded by nostalgia. Because, c'mon. Is Misty really not an epitome?

Unless. Unless, they're the first character and therefore everyone's blinded by nostalgia. Because, c'mon. Is Misty really not an epitome?

Excuse me, but I didn't realize one could like a tomboyish girl not out of nostalgia, but out of preference: I'm no fan of bland girly girls with no backbone or not being blunt and in your face about things, tbh: you interpret it as rude, but I interpret it as caring to correct their friends' flaws.

Last edited:

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
I wasn't aware that Misty was the only character who could show jealousy. :p To be frank, I'm only disappointed with Serena's new-found jealousy because it seems way too early in the saga for it. She just barely reunited with Ash and they haven't spent enough time together for her to be jealous of his interactions with other girls in my opinion.

the reason serena was jealous because she misunderstands that premier will date ash when he loses, otherwise her jealousy won't show up.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Excuse me, but I didn't realize one could like a tomboyish girl not out of nostalgia, but out of preference: I'm no fan of bland girly girls with no backbone or not being blunt and in your face about things, tbh: you interpret it as rude, but I interpret it as caring to correct their friends' flaws.

I thought May had enough of a personality despite not being incredibly abrasive.

Lorde

I bet if Serena was sassy, people would be going on about how she is a rehash of Misty/Iris.

I personally thought that Misty/Iris were more catty than sassy. I think Serena showed sassiness when she was at home with her mom and I kind of wish that she would be like that regularly. Unlike most people, I don't mind if female characters have dynamic personalities. My greatest fear for Serena aside from her not having a goal is that she'll be meek for the rest of XY.

I thought May had enough of a personality despite not being incredibly abrasive.

I agree with that, actually, but she's not my favorite.

Monek_OP

bernie2016

Re-read your first sentence up until the colon.

Also, I'm simply stating that nostalgia is a factor in the way [some] judge characters. That was not an attack on Misty, I think she's great. I'm just saying that she is going to get picked on less because she was the first girl in the series.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I personally thought that Misty/Iris were more catty than sassy. I think Serena showed sassiness when she was at home with her mom and I kind of wish that she would be like that regularly. Unlike most people, I don't mind if female characters have dynamic personalities. My greatest fear for Serena aside from her not having a goal is that she'll be meek for the rest of XY.

If Serena started being dynamic she'd be too similar to Dawn. That's why the writers can't do that. I think its fine to have a meek girl as long as she shows backbone once every so often,

Monek_OP

bernie2016
If Serena started being dynamic she'd be too similar to Dawn. That's why the writers can't do that. I think its fine to have a meek girl as long as she shows backbone once every so often,

But if she's meek and still doesn't have a goal she won't really have a reason to keep traveling with Ash.

Soniman

Break the Limit

Dude, I like Dawn a lot, in fact id say she's my favorite girl protagonist in the show (MAYBE). But for all the reasons I liked her, having a dynamic personality was NOT one of them. With the exception of her depression arc, she pretty much had the same personality through her entire tenure.

Id call Iris a dynamic character, not Dawn.

Re-read your first sentence up until the colon.

Also, I'm simply stating that nostalgia is a factor in the way [some] judge characters. That was not an attack on Misty, I think she's great. I'm just saying that she is going to get picked on less because she was the first girl in the series.
That's true, but you can't just generalize like that, and say all fans of Misty are like that lol.
No worries: yeah, I agree, but that doesn't mean I didn't think she was flawless by any means.

Dude, I like Dawn a lot, in fact id say she's my favorite girl protagonist in the show (MAYBE). But for all the reasons I liked her, having a dynamic personality was NOT one of them.

To me, she was essentially a female Ash *gets a boulder chucked at him for giving an opinion*, which I do still prefer over Serena: funny enough, I'm like the 0.01% of the fandom who actually liked Iris, too. I like dynamic characters: they help make the tedious repetitive loop of the anime more bearable.

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Dude, I like Dawn a lot, in fact id say she's my favorite girl protagonist in the show (MAYBE). But for all the reasons I liked her, having a dynamic personality was NOT one of them. With the exception of her depression arc, she pretty much had the same personality through her entire tenure.

Dawn's depression streak was only for that span between losing her second Contest and the Wallace Cup. For 75% of DP she wasn't like that at all.

And Dawn was the most outgoing and energetic of all the Pokemon girl. In fact when DP was originally airing all people were talking about is how active and "quick moving" Dawn was. Yes, she was too similar to Ash at times, but that's what people seemed to like from what I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.