• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters XY Character Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
And how on earth would it be fair for the two male characters (Ash and Clemont) to get tons of screen-time while the two females (Serena and Bonnie) do nothing?
brock and max didnt do anything in AG and again Misty May Dawn(got co-star status) and Iris were treated better than the male sidekicks so how is that fair? that for 15+ years the male companion became irrelevant and ultimately a background character

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I liked the gag of Taqkeshi, if only to know the age of the character is flirting on. If youhave doubt if you are dealing with a teen or an adult Takeshi will resolve the issue for you.

And I hope that Serena's goal is Contests even though they're not the games. But what I really hope is that Serena finds a goal, gets a second pokemon and her Fennekin learns new attacks.
I'm really hoping for contests if she's not going to get anything else from XY as her goal.
brock and max didnt do anything in AG and again Misty May Dawn(got co-star status) and Iris were treated better than the male sidekicks so how is that fair? that for 15+ years the male companion became irrelevant and ultimately a background character
Dawn was the only co-star of the anime, Misty, May, and Iris were side characters just like Brock and Max. I really don't see the formula for the male sidekicks to change tbh. I think Clemont will get less focus the farther the series goes.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

That's irrelevant since I'm not talking about how individual characters are treated; I'm speaking about the gender representation of the group as a whole. Each previous saga has had one main male character (Ash) and one main female character (Misty/May/Dawn/Iris). Why should that change now? Serena deserves to be treated like an important character instead of being shoved aside for Clemont's sake. He's already gotten quite a bit of development anyway, which should be enough for a while. Serena should be the one who the writers strive for at the moment since so far they've mostly treated her like eye-candy. Same goes for Bonnie who is being treated as a comedic relief character only and who deserves some real development, not just more marriage proposal gags.

I'm really hoping for contests if she's not going to get anything else from XY as her goal.

Dawn was the only co-star of the anime, Misty, May, and Iris were side characters just like Brock and Max. I really don't see the formula for the male sidekicks to change tbh. I think Clemont will get less focus the farther the series goes.
i was hoping for contests to return and i thought the ribbon box in the ending suggested that but i was proven wrong in the vivillon episode

i know dawn was the only co star thats why i put it next to her name only. i think its changing because clemont is taking the more active role while serena is just telling them which direction to go and not speaking as much

yuoke

Treasure huntin'

Contests are less than unlikely with them not having been in the games for two generations now, and they aren't anywhere in kalos period, so it isn't happening.

Faker500

Trolls aren't funny!
And how on earth would it be fair for the two male characters (Ash and Clemont) to get tons of screen-time while the two females (Serena and Bonnie) do nothing?

I don't know about this but I will be glad if they give Clemont a goal of his own to pursuit. I'm tired of second boys being a cast iron and everyone else in the center. If they won't make Serena do anything, then give Clemont something to do of his own. I wanted Cilan to have his own quest as well with all of that personality but that didn't happen. Atleast with Clemont, he's trying a bit.

Navin

MALDREAD
I don't think people should give up on Serena this soon. The series hasn't even reached episode 15 yet. There are a lot of episodes left for a character to rebound and shine.

Let us face it though: anybody watching episodes 1-7 would say that Serena is being written as a love interest. That's going to be one of the things defining/driving her character.

Obviously, there wasn't anything related to SatoSere from episodes 8-13, and the show explicitly has Serena saying she wants to find her own goal; ergo, her presence isn't completely tied to Ash, but it remains that the romantic subplot introduced in the beginning of the show is going to stick with her and be one of the things to watch for in this series.

That being said, Misty and Ash never compromised on their own characters even if they had underlying feelings for one another, and I think the same expectation should hold for Serena.

Still, I think her romantic subplot with Ash actually gives her huge potential to grow as a character. Having rewatched episode 7, I actually thought they did a solid job developing Serena in her focus episode.

Last edited:

Lorde

I don't know about this but I will be glad if they give Clemont a goal of his own to pursuit. I'm tired of second boys being a cast iron and everyone else in the center. If they won't make Serena do anything, then give Clemont something to do of his own. I wanted Cilan to have his own quest as well with all of that personality but that didn't happen. Atleast with Clemont, he's trying a bit.

I just don't see why the boys should have dreams and ambitions while the girls don't. And I know that people will say that Bonnie's too young to have a goal, but then why is she even in the cast to begin with? At the moment she's just sort of there for no reason and Serena would be in the same position if Clemont suddenly started getting all the attention that she should have gotten instead. It would just be incredibly unfair and would hinder Serena's development further imo.

Janovy

Banned
Having rewatched episode 7, I actually thought they did a decent job developing Serena in her focus episode.
It did a pretty damn good job. She got actual character development in regards to her being mistaken about Rhyhorn racing as well as Serena admitting she is looking for a goal. At the same time it gave us an explanation as to why she admires Ash. Episode 7 was strong not only in regards of Serena's affection for Ash but as well in regards of her dreams and wishes, her character and attitude.

I will fully support her crush on Ash as long as it's not the only part of her that goes through development. However, I still think it should remain a character quirk with Serena's possible goal and future playing the biggest part in her development.

I just don't want shipping to define her.

Last edited:

LizardonX

Banned
It's a wonder how this forum has made such a 180. Before the shipping aspect to Serena's character was confirmed all people did was call her out for being a "Dawn clone" because a description mentioned fashion and she wore a skirt. Now people are complaining about what makes Serena a unique and interesting character that will make her stand out from all the others.

Sephora

yes I'm back
It did a pretty damn good job. She got actual character development in regards to her being mistaken about Rhyhorn racing as well as Serena admitting she is looking for a goal. At the same time it gave us an explanation as to why she admires Ash. Episode 7 was strong not only in regards of Serena's affection for Ash but as well in regards of her dreams and wishes, her character and attitude.

I will fully support her crush on Ash as long as it's not the only part of her that goes through development. However, I still think it should remain a character quirk with Serena's possible goal and future playing the biggest part in her development.

I just don't want shipping to define her.

I agree with everything you said and honestly I couldn't have said it better myself.
Episode 7 was a great episode for Serena because we learned a lot about her character.
Also, I like her crush on Ash but I do not want it to be the defining factor for her character. I want Serena to have a goal that will in the future that will help with her character development and be part of who she is. Not just the shipping aspect. I still have my fingers crossed for a goal for Serena soon and I am not going to give up after 13 episodes. Who knows? The writers maybe trying a slower tactic for some reason.

Janovy

Banned
It's a wonder how this forum has made such a 180. Before the shipping aspect to Serena's character was confirmed all people did was call her out for being a "Dawn clone" because a description mentioned fashion and she wore a skirt. Now people are complaining about what makes Serena a unique and interesting character that will make her stand out from all the others.
First of all, not everybody called Serena a Dawn clone. I know I didn't.

Second, Serena knowing stuff about Rhyhorn racing, having a well-accomplished Rhyhorn racer as a mother and the lone fact she is the first girl companion to have met Ash EVER, even before her debut already sets her apart from every other girl. She does not need shipping and romance to be different from other girls because she already is, for reasons I already stated.

Who knows? The writers maybe trying a slower tactic for some reason.
I wish they would speed things up a little. xD

Last edited:

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Serena is already giving me Sakura vibes, personally. The only difference between the two characters is that Sakura retained her dynamic personality for a while whereas Serena practically lost her's the moment she reunited with Ash.
Honestly, Serena's personality is so ping-pong-ish, she can be entertaining at times like Clemont/Bonnie but ulike them it seems like she has a hard time staying consistent and retaining her fun personality. She'll be entertaining when she's interacting with Bonnie, doing off-the-wall amusing stuff like reciting the Rocket motto or in the early episodes where her mom told her something unbelievable was happening and she's all "OH YEAH! Well something unbelievable happened to my face!" and I loved how she screamed she hated Rhyhorn Racing after getting violently tossed off that rock monster thing and how she tried to kill Fletchling. I think personality wise, the Chespin capture episode was the best for her, I like how she left a trail of macarons, interacted with Bonnie and called Clemont and Sycamore out on their behavior. It just seems otherwise her personality is, not boring, but really run-of-the-mill? Especially when she's around Ash.

Since the XY game introduces a dress-up, what are the chances they change Serena's outfit for, let's say every half of the season. I always wanted to see her dress up like Leaf, perhaps give it a different color scheme like Ash's outfit which is close to Red's outfit but with Calem's color scheme.

pokemon fan 132

This is actually a big fear of mine. For Serena to be the Pokemon version of Sakura Haruno. A character with loads of potential but is constantly bogged down because of her unhealthy obsession with a boy that will never return her feelings. Thankfully Serena doesn't show any signs of being like that so for the moment she's safe. No character in any anime should ever want to be like Sakura, not even Sakura herself.

I believe more appropriate example for being obsessive would be Yuno Gasai from Future Diary. She was epitome of unhealthy obsession holded for some character. With Sakura case its more desperate hope being unable to get over it. Still she is medic ninja, is involved in several recue missions, improved her strength and techniques over the years and has attitude, flare and highly determinative approach lifting up dynamic.

Something we have yet to discover with Serena who so far come of as quite passive character barely being involved in episode plots, didn't had any real battle so far and lacks what it appears to be motivation, courage and desire to be more involved within action, find something which she wants to accomplish and grow through valuable experience she may get when traveling.

In a way i can definitely understand frustration and fear from fans which wants her to be more than love interest. Because while sometime this is all its required to have characters grow through exploration of such kind of relationship helping them to find inner srtrength and more confidence like it was case in Sailor Moon or in newer anime like Sword Art online.

In pokemon any attempt of romance subplot developing in something meaningful and influencing in longer run is sentenced to fall flat on surface with nothing coming out of it. Because it simply isn't such type of show where love and romance aspects have much relevance lacking complex plot and deep development to allow on expanding on whole thing and gain something substantial from it through which characters can live on and develop. For same reason whole romance angle for example between May and Drew or Misty harboring affection for Ash were never dived deeper into. With this girls existence primarily being centered on having dreams and motives to accomplish, battling, enriching on group dynamic through multifaced rich characterization and got involved in various plots gaining inner strength and more integrity .

Nor im not sure if i would welcome that with main charm of series being in battles, finding where you belong and what fulfills him, her as person and adventure aspect where friends support each other, develop closer friendship and encourage themselves in overcoming obstacles and achieving their own agendas and goals.

Personally i wont be even bothered if whole point of Serena journey really is just focused on trying out different things not having goal set in mind ofwhat she wants to become and where she sees herself.
As long its portrayed as voyage of some sort of selfquestioning not being sure what entertain her the most and make her happy. With Serena developing aspiration in sticking to it and working hard to better herself, improve battle abilities, come out of shell not being so closed up and become resolved in achieving ultimate desirers.

With journey with Ash, Clemont and Bonnie helping to realize her own strength and virtues as character discovering at what she is truly good at gaining more identity and substance as character eventually.

I dont think Brock and even Max were irrelevant in AG. Brock got more focus on his breeder career in Hoenn, became more battle active, entered quite a few events. Still helped Ash in training and preparing strategies practicing many sparring battles, had plenty of bonding moments with other pokemon and characters along with more attention being given to his family and issues he gone through with them at times.

Max contribued to cast chemistry producing at times clash and tension with his instigating remarks with suster or Ash, grew abit in learning how books and theory isn't everything and became more respectful toward others, including his sister. While having moments for himself.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
I wouldn't say Serena is barely involved in episode plots? Sure she doesn't battle, but she was hugely involved in the last episode even without battling. She contributed a lot with her clever ideas.

djja

Water/grass leader
I wouldn't say Serena is barely involved in episode plots? Sure she doesn't battle, but she was hugely involved in the last episode even without battling. She contributed a lot with her clever ideas.

she just needs a hobby so she can get more episodes for herself. Like those 100 episodes dedicated to contest performances XD

Lorde

Since the XY game introduces a dress-up, what are the chances they change Serena's outfit for, let's say every half of the season. I always wanted to see her dress up like Leaf, perhaps give it a different color scheme like Ash's outfit which is close to Red's outfit but with Calem's color scheme.

I don't see why they should have her change outfits. I mean her design is supposed to tie into Serena's from the games, so unless a sequel/third version game is released and in-game Serena gets an outfit change, I don't see the point of anime Serena changing her outfit. It would be redundant without a real purpose imo. I wish she would do something fashion related at this point, and I don't just mean shopping. I wish she would become a fashion designer or something that would keep her busy and happy throughout XY.

Janovy

Banned
I don't see why they should have her change outfits. I mean her design is supposed to tie into Serena's from the games, so unless a sequel/third version game is released and in-game Serena gets an outfit change, I don't see the point of anime Serena changing her outfit. It would be redundant without a real purpose imo. I wish she would do something fashion related at this point, and I don't just mean shopping. I wish she would become a fashion designer or something that would keep her busy and happy throughout XY.
Something like that would be without any real purpose and not related to Pokemon whatsoever. It would enforce the stereotype of Serena being a girly girl with nothing going for her but a boy crush.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
It did a pretty damn good job. She got actual character development in regards to her being mistaken about Rhyhorn racing as well as Serena admitting she is looking for a goal. At the same time it gave us an explanation as to why she admires Ash.

And yet even the non-shipping parts only happened because of Ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.