• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters XY Character Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Why can't Ash ever get a rival on equal footing as his main?? Why would it be so bad for Ash to win a battle or two against him before the league. They can do it like this:

Draw
Loss
Win
Draw
Win
Loss
Draw

Then they could do the league how they always do it. This way, it isn't predictable and and Ash is actually seen as a threat. Not saying it has to be exactly as above but you guys get my point.

J Ken

RAVE
I just think Trip was a poor rival for Ash. Ash shouldn't have even bothered with him. Gary and Paul were rivals in their own unique ways and brought out the best in Ash - Trip didn't do that.

There are double standards in this Trip was a poor rival for Ash but at the same time Ash was a poor rival for Trip as well. I mean its ridiculous how Trip gets all the blame for the poor rivalry when Ash is just as much to blame for the lack of rivalry. Iirc Ash was also the one who bothered Trip all the time. Ash himself should have been the one to actually want Trip to care cause unlike Gary who took joy in mocking Ash and Paul who enjoyed toying with Ash's beliefs Trip legitimately didn't care for him. Ash didn't motivate Trip to bring out the best in himself so why would Trip even care to do the same for Ash? There's no logic in calling out one party of a poor rivalry yet acting like the other side was any better cause in this case it wasn't.

That's why I don't trust the writers to make another rival so soon. They will most definitely not even try hard with them unless they fall in love with them like they did Paul.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Why can't Ash ever get a rival on equal footing as his main?? Why would it be so bad for Ash to win a battle or two against him before the league. They can do it like this:

Draw
Loss
Win
Draw
Win
Loss
Draw

Then they could do the league how they always do it. This way, it isn't predictable and and Ash is actually seen as a threat. Not saying it has to be exactly as above but you guys get my point.

Because if Ash was on equal footing with his rival, then the rivalry between them would seem pointless? I mean usually the point of Ash having rivals is that he has another obstacle to overcome. Main rivals have to seem like threats, so I don't think that Ash being his rival's equal would work because there wouldn't be enough intensity if they were at the same skill level. That's why whether his rival is Sanpei or Shauna or some other character, Ash would have to be the underdog imo.

Navin

MALDREAD
There are double standards in this Trip was a poor rival for Ash but at the same time Ash was a poor rival for Trip as well. I mean its ridiculous how Trip gets all the blame for the poor rivalry when Ash is just as much to blame for the lack of rivalry.

That's just poor writing. The show is from Ash's perspective, and a moderately seasoned trainer like Ash shouldn't suddenly have bothered with a guy like Trip let alone become rivals with a complete newbie. It just seemed like a forced attempt at inserting a Paul 2.0 jerkass.

That's why I don't trust the writers to make another rival so soon. They will most definitely not even try hard with them unless they fall in love with them like they did Paul.

Exactly. I don't want to see a rival just for the sake of having one.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Because if Ash was on equal footing with his rival, then the rivalry between them would seem pointless? I mean usually the point of Ash having rivals is that he has another obstacle to overcome. Main rivals have to seem like threats, so I don't think that Ash being his rival's equal would work because there wouldn't be enough intensity if they were at the same skill level. That's why whether his rival is Sanpei or Shauna or some other character, Ash would have to be the underdog imo.

Ya but Ash doesn't have to get pwned in every battle up to the league to have the rival be a threat. The fact that Ash is seen as a threat doesn't change the fact that the rival is a threat too.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era

It would be better if both of them were equal throughout most of the season, and then in the final battle before the league the rival could win and show that he'd been training a lot to beat Ash, which could motivate Ash into doing the same (and then Ash wins at the league)

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
There are double standards in this Trip was a poor rival for Ash but at the same time Ash was a poor rival for Trip as well. I mean its ridiculous how Trip gets all the blame for the poor rivalry when Ash is just as much to blame for the lack of rivalry. Iirc Ash was also the one who bothered Trip all the time. Ash himself should have been the one to actually want Trip to care cause unlike Gary who took joy in mocking Ash and Paul who enjoyed toying with Ash's beliefs Trip legitimately didn't care for him. Ash didn't motivate Trip to bring out the best in himself so why would Trip even care to do the same for Ash? There's no logic in calling out one party of a poor rivalry yet acting like the other side was any better cause in this case it wasn't.

Thank you. Just thank you. This what people were missing back in BW. It doesn't just take one person to make rivalry work. It takes two. The reason why Ash was good with Paul was because Ash was more calmer and more humble to his pokemon. In BW he didn't seem like he gave two cents about much. He was over hyped more so than he was years ago and was too impatient. Then here comes Trip(a rookie) who sees this and takes advantage no knowing his past and remains in the shadows for an arc or two then gets sued in some min tornament. That was just bad writing. But as far as rival, I liked him and all the rivals. I just didn't like how some of the rivals stories were done. If Ash were to get one in XY this late, please let it be done properly.

That's just poor writing. The show is from Ash's perspective, and a moderately seasoned trainer like Ash shouldn't suddenly have bothered with a guy like Trip let alone become rivals with a complete newbie. It just seemed like a forced attempt at inserting a Paul 2.0 jerkass.

This is true. However that doesn't mean one can't have a rival period. Ash probably felt that something was left unfinished after he lost with Pikachu that he needed to keep bugging him. Only after a while Trip started realizing that Ash was a good trainer. It didn't matter what region he was from. If people can see past the negativity of Trip altogether, they would feel better about his character. And I didn't find him all that mean.

It would be better if both of them were equal throughout most of the season, and then in the final battle before the league the rival could win and show that he'd been training a lot to beat Ash, which could motivate Ash into doing the same (and then Ash wins at the league)

That would be good but Ash only has problems with the league rivals he faces in the leagues never the main ones. If that were the case, I'm sure he would have won a few by now. So it doesn't matter if he were to have a season rival if the league one will kick his butt anyway.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
It would be awesome if Serena stayed after XY for at least another generation if her character development is going to be handled slowly. I'd like to see how they would handle her if that were the case. It would also be nice to see something like this happened since it hasn't happened with Misty in the OS.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
It would be awesome if Serena stayed after XY for at least another generation if her character development is going to be handled slowly. I'd like to see how they would handle her if that were the case. It would also be nice to see something like this happened since it hasn't happened with Misty in the OS.

Serena would have to have an inseperable crush then if she didn't want to split from Ash

Janovy

Banned
Serena would have to have an inseperable crush then if she didn't want to split from Ash
Misty didn't have a crush on Ash and she kept travelling with him.

Lorde

I feel the opposite to be honest. If Serena isn't going to get proper development in XY, then I don't want her to stick around in the next saga. I'm not here for the writers neglecting her development at the moment and suddenly caring about it later on. They shouldn't be so inconsistent. It's like a slap on the face to those of us who were looking forward to XY because of Serena.

ANYWAY, moving away from this topic before we get the same old, same old...

Anyone think that Diantha would be an enjoyable character? People didn't like Viola at first until they saw her in action anime-style, so I'm hoping that's the same with Diantha. She looks like a promising character for the anime, somewhat like Cynthia.

Faker500

Trolls aren't funny!

Anyone think that Diantha would be an enjoyable character? People didn't like Viola at first until they saw her in action anime-style, so I'm hoping that's the same with Diantha. She looks like a promising character for the anime, somewhat like Cynthia.

I liked Cynthia's style but her in the anime was too much for me when the other champions barely got squat. I hope they don't run Diantha into the ground though. I just want a well rounded champion.

A simple crush shouldn't determine a person's stay on the show. If she isn't going to be doing much is an indication of that as well.

Last edited:

Lorde

Diantha doesn't look any more interesting than Cynthia at first glance imo. I fully expect her to have the same personality as Cynthia too at this point; I just can't see the writers giving her an original personality, so they'll probably settle on making her poised and proper. Not that it's a bad thing per se, just that I don't think Diantha will be that interesting overall.

That's exactly what I think is going to happen. From the preview that included her, people have seemed to like her more, not everyone, but I'm starting to see a change. So, yeah, her anime appearance has brought her more fans.

Janovy

Banned
Anime made me like Viola, let's hope it does the same for Diantha. ^^

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster

As long as she's not a Cynthia clone, I won't have a problem with her. The problem is I already am prepared for her to be a Cynthia clone and so I'm not interested. At best I hope Diantha would leave some kind of impact on Serena, so she can stop being in the background and finally do something worth speculating. But other then that, I don't know about Diantha. I did like that she's not everywhere in the games like Cynthia and Alder were. I mean seriously, give me some breathing room.

Also I didn't know people didn't like Viola before. I liked her waaay before her anime debut. Her design was cool.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era

Didn't like her very much in the game, hopefully she'll be more interesting in the anime.

djja

Water/grass leader
If hoenn remakes come out and re-introduce contests, then I wouldn't be surprised if thats what Serena does. Although contests are a little over done.

Status
Not open for further replies.