• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters XY Character Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soniman

Break the Limit
I don't know if this is shallow or fanboy-ish of me, but I kinda do want a "cool" Ash doing cool stuff sometimes, it's why I love that scene with him climbing the Lumiose Tower, but what I DON'T want is his cool moments being shown at the cost of all the other characters and their usefulness, they can still HELP and Ash doesn't have to do everything. It's why I thought the Sewpa episode wasn't totally blatant in that regard as Clemont and Serena at least contributed in their own way.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I don't know if this is shallow or fanboy-ish of me, but I kinda do want a "cool" Ash doing cool stuff sometimes, it's why I love that scene with him climbing the Lumiose Tower, but what I DON'T want is his cool moments being shown at the cost of all the other characters and their usefulness, they can still HELP and Ash doesn't have to do everything. It's why I thought the Sewpa episode wasn't totally blatant in that regard as Clemont and Serena at least contributed in their own way.

Serena and Clemont helped, but Ash was still the one who bonded with Spewpa and the one who got the majority of the screen-time in that episode. Even in XY007, which was supposed to be a prominent Serena episode, Ash still got quite a bit of screen-time. I wish the writers would give the sidekick characters their own episodes once in a while, episodes where they'd get the vast majority of the attention.

diakyu

I wish the writers would give the sidekick characters their own episodes once in a while, episodes where they'd get the vast majority of the attention.
Doesn't episode 9 count? It was easy for Clemont to have an episode to himself but it was hard for Serena in episode 7 due to her connection to Ash. I really don't have a solution for her problem either until she shows a flaw or aspiration that doesn't involve Ash.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Serena and Clemont helped, but Ash was still the one who bonded with Spewpa and the one who got the majority of the screen-time in that episode. Even in XY007, which was supposed to be a prominent Serena episode, Ash still got quite a bit of screen-time. I wish the writers would give the sidekick characters their own episodes once in a while, episodes where they'd get the vast majority of the attention.

Err, other then the battle I thought Ash was pretty much out of focus for the rest of X007

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Ash is the main character so at the end of the day he will always get the most/better screentime of the cast. No matter how much I dislike seeing it. It's a the number one reason I'm glad characters like Calem, Brendan, Lucas, Ethan, and Hilbert don't make it on to the anime, much less the main cast. And while I have accepted it, I wish they wouldn't undermine the other characters in the process. Clemont, Bonnie, and Serena are usually background/captured in filler episodes where they themselves are not the stars. Like the examples give of the Spewpa and Pancham episodes. I don't see why Clemont or Serena couldn't have been the hero of one of those episodes. Even in Serena's own episode about the Rhyhorn racing, half of it was split between her and Ash.

I like the Kalos main cast. All the new characters are entertaining when they are allowed the focus. But it feels like the writers are trying to make sure nobody becomes a real breakthrough star long term. As much as I love Clemont, I wonder how much he's going to get after he loses to Ash? Serena, despite being a playable character like May and Dawn, suffers from a lack of focus, and screentime. I feel like there's still so much I don't know about the character besides her stance on racing and her crush. And we're like almost 15 episodes in.

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
Any word if lysandre's supposed to show up anytime soon? He appeared fairly early in the games.

Lorde

Any word if lysandre's supposed to show up anytime soon? He appeared fairly early in the games.

Doesn't he appear during the player's first visit to Lumiose City in the games? Ash has been there twice so far and Lysandre didn't appear. I doubt he'll show up until the end of the Team Flare conflict. I don't even expect Team Flare to appear until the second half of XY at this point, that's if the Malamar from the upcoming episode doesn't belong to Xerosic.

UnbelievableUrsula

Cute and Creepy!
I don't see how it'll be fair for Clemont, though. Male companions always seem to get third-wheel treatment, and if the writers are indeed intending to neglect Serena in favor of Clemont, I find it better than just having Ash get the forefront of all the development. And if what you're saying does apply, then we shouldn't have had Brock, Tracey, Max, Cilan, Clemont, and Bonnie in the first place because they're superfluous.

I agree. I like Ash's gymbattles but I would have liked the secondary boy to have done something different as well. If they aren't going to have Serena do anything then I don't see why Clemont can't get anything done. I rather that than just Ash doing something. Other characters can be allowed to have their own quests other than Ash or the main girl.

Yeah, considering Clemont is likely going to be thrown under the bus and forced to lose to Ash in Lumiose I'd be ecstatic over a tournament where Clemont defeats Ash in the finals or Serena defeats Ash in the finals. Or Ash doesn't make it to the finals and Serena and Clemont face off against each other for a Mega Ring and the surprise twist is a draw with them both getting Mega Rings for themselves.

I don't see how Clemont losing a gymbattle means he'll be thrown under a bus. He's a gymleader, I'm sure he has lost some battles to some trainer.

nuzamaki90

I wonder if Clemont will get more development on his Gym Leader status like Brock and Cilan did. By that I mean I wonder if there will be another Gym Instructor who threatens to close down the Lumiose Gym if Clemont can't pull out a win against her(or in the pattern-breaking chance, him).

Clemont's skills as a Gym Leader will already be put to the test in his battle against Ash, but am I not the only one who wants to see him bring his all out in order to keep the position he's already worked so hard to get?

Well I could see a way around clemont and ash gym battle where ash loses but stills gets a badge since it has happened lots of times in the prevoius gens, since it would also focus on how clemont is stronger than ash typical gm leaders companions.

Lorde

Well I could see a way around clemont and ash gym battle where ash loses but stills gets a badge since it has happened lots of times in the prevoius gens, since it would also focus on how clemont is stronger than ash typical gm leaders companions.

I remember suggesting this before: it didn't end well. Most people seem to be against the idea of Ash getting another "pity badge" and I actually agree with them now in a way. I wouldn't really mind if Ash got a badge while losing against any other Gym Leader, but Clemont is more hyped than other Gym Leaders and I want to see Ash defeat him and earn his fifth badge the right way.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Ash getting a badge for pity was decently alright in Kanto (first time that happened) but now it would just plain suck imo. Ash is a bit too experienced to be treated like that, and he doesn't like getting badges without battling (Skyla and Volkner)

This. Kanto I accepted because he was a noob. Even the Maylene badge (despite Buizel giving a hell of a battle to tie a Lucario) annoyed me because it felt like Ash didn't really win it (plus Paul swept her so that made Ash look poor in comparison). IMO either he wins or loses then wins the rematch and with 1 gym loss already I can only see him losing 1 more time (probably against Olympia because he has a hard time with Psychics)

LizardonX

Banned
This. Kanto I accepted because he was a noob. Even the Maylene badge (despite Buizel giving a hell of a battle to tie a Lucario) annoyed me because it felt like Ash didn't really win it (plus Paul swept her so that made Ash look poor in comparison). IMO either he wins or loses then wins the rematch and with 1 gym loss already I can only see him losing 1 more time (probably against Olympia because he has a hard time with Psychics)

If Ash had paul's team or pokemon of a similar caliber I would be inclined to agree, but he didn't so thats that.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Honestly, when Ash and Clemont battle I think it would be a real twist and interesting if Ash took on Clemont, lost, and had a rematch against Limone and won the badge like that after some hard training. Or a draw would be pretty interesting.

Ash is the main character so at the end of the day he will always get the most/better screentime of the cast. No matter how much I dislike seeing it. It's a the number one reason I'm glad characters like Calem, Brendan, Lucas, Ethan, and Hilbert don't make it on to the anime, much less the main cast. And while I have accepted it, I wish they wouldn't undermine the other characters in the process. Clemont, Bonnie, and Serena are usually background/captured in filler episodes where they themselves are not the stars. Like the examples give of the Spewpa and Pancham episodes. I don't see why Clemont or Serena couldn't have been the hero of one of those episodes. Even in Serena's own episode about the Rhyhorn racing, half of it was split between her and Ash.

I like the Kalos main cast. All the new characters are entertaining when they are allowed the focus. But it feels like the writers are trying to make sure nobody becomes a real breakthrough star long term. As much as I love Clemont, I wonder how much he's going to get after he loses to Ash? Serena, despite being a playable character like May and Dawn, suffers from a lack of focus, and screentime. I feel like there's still so much I don't know about the character besides her stance on racing and her crush. And we're like almost 15 episodes in.
I agree full force with what you say, it doesn't really feel like any of them have "broken through" though Clemont does show strong promise to in the future. The Heliolisk episode and gym foreshadowing mini-arc was a great first step to that. I just really want Mega Evolution somehow, it could work really well once they find out who Blaziken Mask is.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
If Ash had paul's team or pokemon of a similar caliber I would be inclined to agree, but he didn't so thats that.

True. At the time only Pikachu could really keep up with Paul's team (speaking of the Paul I wonder what he's doing). I just hope we don't get any gym draws that result in Ash still getting the badge. IF Ash should draw and is offered the badge IMO he should reject it and say he needs to actually win it.

Soniman

Break the Limit

Umm, Maylene lost to Paul because she was incredibly out of it at the time and wasnt in tune with her Pokemon at all. Where as when she battled Ash she went all out and it was a hard fought match. I dont get how it somehow invalidates Buizel's win since it did incredibly well against Lucario.

Lorde

I'd honestly prefer a win from Ash or even a draw when he finally battles Clemont, but in the latter scenario, I'd want Clemont to give him the badge anyway. I don't want Limone to interfere with that to be honest. He's an interesting character, but I'd rather see him interact more with Ash as the Blaziken Mask than as a pseudo-Gym Leader.

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.
Clemont is overpowered right now. Even though I know that Chespin won't win, there'0s evidence that he is taking a lot of hits and is about a win against a Delphox is too much for him. I don't like when a fresh caught Bunnelby won against Heliolisk and I will like less what is happening.

I think that the reason why Clemont is getting a lot of screentime and Serena is imainly in the background is because her VA.

I found that Clemont VA has gotten 4 new main roles for this year apart of the role of Clemont and any goal of 2013 that re-appears in 2014. Serena, for the moment, has not gotten any other role in 2014 yet (apart of Serena).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.