• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters XY Character Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grey Wind

Because unlike Clemont's other Pokemon, Chespin actually has a personality. Like, I don't think anyone's even here for Bunnelby since he's robotic, and Luxray's too serious. Clemont's team is too messy imo.

They should have started him off with Helioptile instead of Bunnelby. That way we wouldn't have had Luxray being rushed onto his team for the gym and they could have done something with his third Pokemon.

Probably because Clemont started out really well. And since then has been put more to the wayside. That and the Luxray evolution episode was him copying Ash as opposed to being courageous in his own way, the gym battle episode ended up with his strategies coming short because Ash was straight-up pulling an Elite 4, and the haunted house episode wasn't all that compelling and meaningful.
Yeah, I do think the criticism is valid but it's kind of blown out of proportion. I don't want him to completely fade into the background but it's a little early for some of these reactions IMO. He'll continue getting episodes here and there like Brock and Cilan did, and he'll probably end up playing some role with however Limone's story line ends up.

I wish we still had the tournaments from BW. They were a good way of giving characters screen time and most of the cast's Pokemon outside of Ash's could do with a battle or two.

Navin

MALDREAD
At the end of the day I dont see how he's worse then Cilan, Tracy or Brock in terms of focus (especially when he's the only one of the three to have anything resembling a character arc), especially when XY probably isnt even at the halfway point yet. Considering every time he's brought up anymore no one has anything good to say about him at all, which is what I think Grey Wind meant.

I think he's better off than some of those characters too. I'm just saying people might have expected more from Clemont after he started off so well.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Clemont fighting crime with Meyer sounds fun but I don't think it will happen.

Clemont should just go back to being a Gym Leader imo. I hate that he neglects his duties most of the time and leaves a machine in charge. I'd rather see him hand out badges than watch him become Robin.~

ssquaderi

Clemont should just go back to being a Gym Leader imo. I hate that he neglects his duties most of the time and leaves a machine in charge. I'd rather see him hand out badges than watch him become Robin.~

what he does was better than Volkner, and personally if you remember Clemont idolises Ash and wants to become stronger and more confident, so its normal for Gym Leaders to travel, you cant expect them to work all day every day, they need fun too, remember Jasmine travelled to Sinnoh for training too...and both Brock and Misty have done it too, yes, he will eventually go back, but right now its the learning experience he wants...

Lorde

what he does was better than Volkner, and personally if you remember Clemont idolises Ash and wants to become stronger and more confident, so its normal for Gym Leaders to travel, you cant expect them to work all day every day, they need fun too, remember Jasmine travelled to Sinnoh for training too...and both Brock and Misty have done it too, yes, he will eventually go back, but right now its the learning experience he wants...

Him being part of Ash's ministry isn't exactly helping him though in my view. Not to mention that his training was only good enough to slay Shota when he challenged the Gym, yet Ash walked all over Clemont. He's barely progressed imo. :c

Mrs. Oreo

Banned

True gym leaders can train away from their gyms but he hasn't done much. ^^;

pokeaussie37

Some observations

It has been a long time since I've made a post on these wonderful forums, (judging by my mid-generation V avatar I suspect around three years - real life got in the way) but have been quietly following along with the show as much as ever. As such, I have some observations about this series, most of which are relevant to this thread so here is the best place to put them. Will use spoiler tags to avoid huge walls of text.

So I believe that Ash is in an extremely interesting spot right now. He's battling with his brain!!! Let's consider the past: Generation I thru III he was the rash boy we've always known and loved, letting the heat of the moment get to him in battle and often making questionable decisions. Generation III did introduce somewhat of a mentor aspect with May at the very least which showed a different side. Generation IV he remained his headstrong self, but with the introduction of a truly antagonistic rival (Gary was Gary more than an antagonist) in Paul, Ash was motivated to battle better than ever before, coming up with unique strategies and training hard with his team, resulting in his best league performance to date. Generation V he unfortunately reverted somewhat, but I believe this was largely due to his extremely large team, which would have inevitably lacked some training compared to his past teams (not that having 10~ pokemon was bad per se, just understandably hard to manage for both him and the writers).

So we get to Generation VI and I really like what they've done with Ash this series. He's as caring as ever with Pokemon, and he's kept what was great about his personality. But what he has introduced with his battling style is what's most impressive, and he has lacked it in past generations: adaptability WITHIN battle. In the past, he would battle without particularly considering what his opponent would do. In Generation IV this was explored, but would often have to lose at least once (multiple times in Paul's case) to figure out what to do to win. In Generation VI he is, for the most part, demonstrating an ability to adapt on the fly. Most recently this was demonstrated by his battle with Valerie and adapting to the use of Sylveon's ribbons, and the move Trick Room: in the past, and as seen even earlier in Gen VI in the battle with Viola, he almost definitely would have taken a loss the first time around.

Furthermore, he has a team that is well suited to his traditional style plus that. With the recent addition of Noibat, he has a team of Pokemon that are essentially known for their high speed and manoeuvrability, which is commonly known to suit Ash. Assuming full evolution across the board, the in-game base speed of his Kalos Pokemon are: Greninja - 122, Talonflame 126, Hawlucha - 118, Noivern - 123, and of course Pikachu is Pikachu and he can be whatever the writers want. With this knowledge, I do not have as much of an objection to the release of Goodra as he could well have gone on to be Torterra 2.0, even if Ash was showing a proficiency with working with him.

In summary I'm quite excited for where Ash is heading into the business end of the Kalos series. If the most recent trends continue, his Pokemon may also receive some deserved attention (especially Fletchinder, I expect his evolution to come this year), and that he will be prepared for a solid Pokemon league performance when that comes around.

It's hard for me to make any specific points about Serena. I actually do enjoy her character, and her presence on the show is welcome. On the other hand, complaints of 'she hasn't done anything' are probably well placed. Call me a sop but I would love to see Ash x Serena explored a little more (I know, c'mon) than what it has been, but I'm sure we will get that at some point. With the next major event in the anime being the Dendemille Town performance, I also believe that we are in for some Serena focus in the next couple of months or so, and with that the Eevee capture as well. I am expecting the performance circuit to be ramped up in the near future too. Looking back to when contests were introduced, it also took May a while to get going with those as well. What I hope to see is that her rivalry with Shauna will be further developed, and that Serena doesn't just win three performances in a row to get into the Master class or whatever it is (it's been featured so little I'm not even certain of the names and titles!). I want to see at least one more loss along the way, but I am expecting a win in Dendemille Town regardless. I believe she will become more and more central to the show in the future as performances start to ramp up, and Ash taking somewhat of a back seat (he already has six badges after all).

Another point I'd like to make is that unlike May, Dawn and Iris, Serena at least has a SLIM chance of continuing on her journey with Ash beyond Generation VI (I'd like to see it for sure, but I don't intend to be biased). Why? Serena doesn't have to represent the in-game characters. In-game, the character's appearance can now be customised, and the animators have set the precedence of changing Serena's appearance. They can easily do that again, in fact they probably will.

To sum up, not too much to go by, but I believe that she and her Pokemon will receive some focus very soon, and become more central to the show after that as performances start to become more prominent.

I will treat these two as effectively a 1-in-2 character, as between them they are effectively Brock/Tracey/Max/Cilan in that they provide balance to the cast without necessarily being a huge feature. Between them they have the cooking, flirting and amusing hobby covered! Given past evidence these two characters have been treated fairly well, both having focus episodes (filler episodes have been especially effective in showcasing Bonnie given she has no real other way) and Clemont obviously having the gym leader build-up which was quite well done. I enjoyed their gym match very much, and I'm especially satisfied with the Pokemon that were featured, especially from Clemont.

My main concern now for these two characters is; what do they contribute to the overall plot other than the usual comedic antics, now that the Clemont gym battle arc is now completed? Ash has his remaining gym battles and league, Serena her performances. Clemont and Bonnie have nothing ahead of them now. I don't mind Bonnie just being there as she can't actually offer much else, and she can always be a good person to base filler episodes on, but I fear Clemont becoming Sinnoh Brock or post-Unova League Cilan in being effectively irrelevant, which would be a shame given how well-done he was prior to his gym battle. I am hopeful he will receive some focus here and there, that more will be made out of his inventions (and that they will start actually working when needed rather than just being used as a comic device), and that he will play a good role in any major story arcs.

To sum up; Clemont and Bonnie have been an enjoyable part of the series, but I am certainly concerned about where they will go from here.

Oh the lovable mob. Arguably the most divisive bunch in this community for sure, some want them gone forever others want them to stay. I am personally in the latter group as I enjoy their comic relief and after their long tenure their departure would leave a rather large black hole (or should that be white hole?), although I was quite satisfied with their appearances in Unova. In Kalos they seem to have reverted back to their more typical style from previous generations with their chaos. The Pokemon they have I believe are quite appropriate and they sure as hell manage to pull the heartstrings when they have feature episodes (that Jesse/Wobbuffet "almost-leaving" episode was mighty close and mighty touching).

My one negative is that they have taken away the scenarios that were originally Team Flare's, meaning once again a regional evil team is shafted in favour of Team Rocket. Generation IV seemed to find the right balance. I am sure hopeful that they will appear soon without the Rocket gang taking away too much of the spotlight but we will have to see. We also have Jesse's performance participation to consider, but I have to think it might take until next generation before we see her take it seriously like she did with contests towards the end of Generation III and during Generation IV, should performances continue in Generation VII.

In short, a little bit more of these three please. With Serena's performances presumably starting to occur more often this should mean some more of Shauna at least. I am also hopeful of Tierno being a genuine rival for Ash, at the very least he has also been seen recently (in dub terms) so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a while before he's seen again. If there are any major plot arcs later in the series, I am hopeful that all of these three will be involved. Am confident of Ash vs Tierno occurring in the Pokemon league.

The potential is there for Ash to have three rivals: Tierno is the one that's slightly ahead of Ash, Scottie is the new guy trying to catch up, and there's the guy from the Japanese intro that Ash touches hands with (amazing description). Scottie's Grovyle and Ash's Greninja enjoy a genuine rivalry and I'm hoping that this continues to develop (shades of Ash's Infernape vs Paul's Electivire, perhaps?) Plus, whilst it wasn't explicitly mentioned at any time, the way Ash reacted to both Scottie's Treecko/Grovyle as well as the news that Sceptile could mega-evolve, certainly gave me the sign that Ash was at least mindful of his own old pal. Will we see it make a cameo like Charizard at some point? I certainly think there's a chance given the remakes.

I'm excited to see where this rivalry heads in the future, and am hopeful that Scottie will progress quickly enough where he will be able to participate in the league. It's possible he could receive the Cameron treatment where Ash might be present for his last gym match (possibly Clemont?!). I am certain he will feature again given his multiple appearances thus far plus his representation of Hoenn and the remakes.

As for the other guy in the intro? Who knows? Have to wait and see when he appears.

This last bit is something I just discovered from the episode thread: the return of that character who was a performer (Millefeui, Miette in the dub I believe?) that may end up being a Serena rival which is great. Some have mentioned her being an antagonistic rival, which didn't seem to be the case in her one appearance. I will reserve judgment until that episode has aired.

Not much in this section, just want to highlight my concerns over the lack of Lysandre and Team Flare. I would not be surprised to see them feature in one major story arc, which in all honesty is not THAT far off the games. They had Glittering Cave, Power Plant and Poke Ball factory before their major feature, that was all, really not that much especially compared to Team Plasma. Two-thirds of that of course was taken by Team Rocket. However I would still find it to be a disappointment that once again the evil team of the region as not received a proper feature. I feel that only Team Galactic has been appropriately represented in the anime out of all the regional teams.

Pacing: Looking at the anime from a macro-level has always been my thing. I thought the pacing was extremely good for the first season in dub terms, the only thing I would consider changing was fitting in another performance for Serena earlier on. Wouldn't necessarily have to be a victory (certainly getting through to the next round), but it would alleviate the concern I have that she might just roll through the performances from here on with three straight wins or something of that nature. UNLESS, they were to do something inexplicable and have her miss out which is always possible but unlikely. My concern lies with that, much like Generation V, the pacing has seemed to speed up rapidly upon hitting the fourth gym, it feels like we've gone from three badges to six in no time at all, and I wouldn't be surprised if the seventh badge comes very quickly too. (Seventh badge guaranteed by October I feel, given Olympia appearing in the Japanese intro), meanwhile in that time Serena will likely have one performance victory to Ash's seven badges. I am hopeful that the pacing of gyms will slow down just a touch to allow other things to balance this out.

Lack of overall plot: I've somewhat covered this with the Team Flare section, but it's worth a mention here that there has been minimal signs of an overlying plot line for the saga, which was something I highly enjoyed from Generation IV (my personal favourite saga overall, Battle Frontier probably my favourite season). The only overlying plot I can think of has been mega-evolution, so there is at least something there. Hopefully the writers can really make something of it.

The dub: I moved from the dub anime to watching the raw with subtitles at the start of Generation VI and have enjoyed it. However I must say that the reason I switched was purely to keep up with the Japanese timeline. I now slightly regret not watching the dub as well, because I've always been a huge fan of the dub's opening themes, and well damn, the opening themes for Season's 17 and 18 are straight up BOSS. That homage to the original theme hot damn. Kind of sad I missed them! I intend to start watching the dub again (in addition to the sub's of course) from the episode AFTER Goodra's release. Manly tears have been shed as a result of the Pokemon anime more than anything else in my life and I think that watching it again wouldn't do that episode justice. For some things, seeing once and looking back with memories are how it should be.

For those that did, thank you for reading and I hope you found these comments interesting and insightful. I have been using the main site all this time but hopefully will be able to make more consistent contribution to the forums now. Overall I'm quite happy with Kalos so far, looks like a very solid series and I've enjoyed it a lot. Still, I do have some minor concerns, hopefully some of which will be addressed as we head towards the business end of the series.

Cheers.

Nodame

Misty <3
I really think Clemont is mostly done with his focus; he'll probably just become more of a comedic relief character like Brock and Cilan were anyways. I'd rather see Serena get screentime now.

The sad part is that I don't even find him funny, so he's totally irrelvant now imo. :X I'd rather see more of Serena, even though I'm not even a fan of her character.

Lorde

True gym leaders can train away from their gyms but he hasn't done much. ^^;

Agreed. And he started off better than Serena in my opinion, but now it looks like the situations have been switched around. I only hope that Serena can keep progressing and won't decline like Clemont has. :x

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
The sad part is that I don't even find him funny, so he's totally irrelvant now imo. :X I'd rather see more of Serena, even though I'm not even a fan of her character.

I think Serena's better cuz she's working on a goal but still I don't think she will accomplish being kalos queen. ^^;

jskylinegtr

Sabine Cerrado and Angela Ken Rojas fan.
Looks like I have found Valerie's voice actress (JPN), who is Satsuki Yukino is not very effective, reason is, may be too old to voice, Satsuki Yukino is 45. It looks like Jo Armeniox (voice of Shauna) is one of my predictions for Valerie's English voice, however, it will not be known until Need for Speed World shuts down.

jskylinegtr

Sabine Cerrado and Angela Ken Rojas fan.
Well, Serena would be successful in her goal, and We know that Gym VI's episodes will not air in English until Need for Speed World closes on July 14.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
I have a new prediction about a future XY episode that would make a lot of sense.

So based on XY81 it seems that they are traveling back through route 16 to Lumiose because of the Lost Hotel, which second entrance in route 16 is actually the one where you can find a trash can with rotom in it.

So if this is the case, I am 100% sure we see a Shota vs Clemont 3 vs 3 battle around XY83-85 with Shota winning his rematch. He traveled to Coumarine for the one badge and Lumiose is not as far away. It would make a lot of sense and we could see a improvement of him being a trainer.

Last edited:

AshSerena

Nor do I given how May, Dawn, and Iris's goals were never achieved. I'd be shocked if Serena does become Kalos Queen since it'd be a change from what I'm used to.

i can see her Winning Againts Shauna at last episode of showcase then losing to Aria at the final round

BJack

Zura
I have a new prediction about a future XY episode that would make a lot of sense.

So based on XY81 it seems that they are traveling back through route 16 to Lumiose because of the Lost Hotel, which second entrance in route 16 is actually the one where you can find a trash can with rotom in it.

So if this is the case, I am 100% sure we see a Shota vs Clemont 3 vs 3 battle around XY83-85 with Shota winning his rematch. He traveled to Coumarine for the one badge and Lumiose is not as far away. It would make a lot of sense and we could see a improvement of him being a trainer.

I hope this happens, it would be neat to watch.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
With the recent episode titles, we only have the following locations in Kalos left:

Caves(most likely won't appear in the series):
Frost Cavern
Sea Spirit's Den
Chamber of Emptiness
Glittering Cave
Connecting Cave
Terminus Cave
Unknown Dungeon
Victory Road(LOL)

Team Flare HQs:
Lysandre Labs(special)
Team Flare Secret HQ

Elsewhere:
Battle Maison/Kiloude City
Berry fields

Important places:
Route 17
Anistar City
Route 18
Couriway Town
Route 19
Snowbelle City
Pokémon Village/Route 20
Route 21
Route 22
Pokémon League
Route 16(ie. Route back to Lumiose).
Azure Bay

Is there anything else I forgot?

Edit:

Well, we are now going to Route 17.

Edit 2(06.08.2015): My bad, it was Frost Cavern. I'll bring Route 17 back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.