• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters XY Pokémon Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
It was due to merchandise, that's why Axew didn't evolve, even though it wanted to evolve all the way to its final form, the only known Pokémon who wanted to evolve all the way to its final form and succeeded was Ash's Caterpie.

Actually, as far as Axew goes, I'm fairly sure the only reason ever stated by the animation staff for it not evolving, was that it'd be awkward to explain after having Axew travelling outside it's ball and in Iris's hair for so long.

It wasn't like Fraxure could do the same, so they would've either had to somehow explain why it wasn't allowed outside it's ball anymore, or draw it awkwardly walking alongside the group all the time.

They should've just had it in a ball to start with, but after keeping him out, they made the right choice by not evolving him.. because you just know the story behind Fraxure suddenly being in its ball would be complete rubbish.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
It's different when those Pokemon have been outright wanted by the cast though. That rarely happens, and when it does, it's captured somewhere down the line.

Also, if Manon really is getting Torchic I have doubts anyone in the cast will be getting a starter.

When was this hinted at?

this probably looks like a speculation in my opinion, there is no confirmation that manon would get torchic

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
A NON-current Generation capture? Well blow me down!

(and yes, I remember when Ash caught Gligar, loved that little guy so much!)

Now I'm surprised Luxray doesn't have a "Mega" Evolution that we know of.

Didn't Gligar evolve into a 4th gen Pokemon.

On Luxray if does have a Mega (I think it does personally) we'll find out soon.

esquilo09

Didn't Gligar evolve into a 4th gen Pokemon.

It would be totally cool to see a Mega Luxray, come to think of it, is there any feline-like Pokémon who has a mega evolution? (Besides Mewtwo).

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

Even if it does have a Mega, I find it hard to believe that that's the reason why Clemont's getting Luxio; I just can't imagine him using Mega Evolution.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Even if it does have a Mega, I find it hard to believe that that's the reason why Clemont's getting Luxio; I just can't imagine him using Mega Evolution.
Same here. If any of the main cast go Mega it'll have to be Ash for me. I personally don't really care for the writer's reason for including Luxio. It cool and its evolution is badass.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan

He wont mega evolve but promoting the line would still work as "mega promotion", that would be the reason.

esquilo09

Clemont's Luxio is probably gonna show much of a personality right in his debut episode, just like Ash's Fletchinder and Serena's Pancham. I think Luxio is gonna have a serious and calm personality and has a strong loyalty towards Clemont.

i2i

Big Bad Wolf

Why, his a main character and has a family connection to Mega Evolution. I can even see plot were his father gives him a Mega Ring either as a give or when he feels Clemont ready for the responsibility of owning one

He wont mega evolve but promoting the line would still work as "mega promotion", that would be the reason.

It makes no sense to give a main character a Pokemon that can Mega evolve and have him use that feature. Its like have Ash go to a new region and not catch the local Pokemon since just being in the new region is promoting it anyway.

LAWLZ FUNNY MAN

Pokemon Trainer
Ash's Main Team:

• Pikachu (Thunderbolt, Iron Tail, Quick Attack, Disarming Voice

• Greninja (Water Shuriken, Shadow Sneak, Night Slash, Extrasensory

• Talonflame (Flamethrower, Brave Bird, Steel Wing, Razor Wind)

• Hawlucha (Flying Press, Aerial Ace, Stone Edge, Hi Jump Kick)

• Skiddo (Razor Leaf, Take Down, Bulldoze, Horn Leech)

• Honedge ( Shadow Claw, Iron Head, Slash, Sacred Sword) (Gets Oaked and Charizard comes back for mega evolution arc) Charizard/Y (Flamethrower, Air Slash, Focus Blast, Solarbeam)

Clemont's Main Team:

• Diggersby (Hammer Arm, Dig, Super Fang, Rock Tomb)

• Dedenne- Probably never going to battle, (Play Rough, Nuzzle, Thunder Wave, Discharge)

• Quilladin (Shadow Claw, Rollout, Needle Arm, Power-Up-Punch)

• Luxio (Wild Charge, Ice Fang, Bite, Baby-Doll-Eyes)

Serena's Main Team

• Braixen (Flamethrower, Psyshock, Grass Knot, Lucky Chant)

• Pangoro (Sky Upper Cut, Crunch, Body Slam, Shadow Claw)

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I'm convinced as DP brought us THREE Ground-types, Best Wishes brought us TWO Dark-types, that Kalos can give Ash two Ghost-types. That's right, Phantump and Doublade all the way!

And also, why are people suggesting Sacred Sword ánd Slash? For real. I get it, it's a sword, but considering how it is a sword, multiple moves that involve a relatively easy to animate slash will get boring pretty darn fast. It's a BIG no-no. Especially considering the diverse options it gets:
- Shadow Sneak: Good move, and averts the stereotypical slash.
- Swords Dance: Seems logical.. easy to imagine how this would work.
- Metal Sound: The way Lucario used it proved to be worth something and I'm interested in seeing it more.
- Sacred Sword: The stereotypical slash that goes beyond JUST BEING A SLASH.. >.<
- Iron Head: STAB, just a brunt smack with either the point, or the hilt.
- Flash Cannon: STAB, and averts the over reliance on physicality. Looks like Ichigo's Getsuga so that would be awesome to switch between regular swordplay and this.
- Iron Defense: Uses the scabbard as a defensive tool? Could be awesome in practice!
- Autotomize: Drops the scabbard, gets crazy quick?

So personally, I'd love a set featuring these choices:
- Shadow Sneak: A physical move with an awesome twist.
- Sacred Sword: A solid, solid, solid physical move that we expect a sword to use.
- Flash Cannon/Iron Head: The former is a special move that would be awesome.
- Metal Sound/Iron Defense/Swords Dance

A NON-current Generation capture? Well blow me down!

And yes, I remember when Ash caught Gligar, loved that little guy so much!

Now I'm surprised Luxray doesn't have a "Mega" Evolution that we know of.

"Yet" being the likely keyword here.. :)

Clemont's Luxio is probably gonna show much of a personality right in his debut episode, just like Ash's Fletchinder and Serena's Pancham. I think Luxio is gonna have a serious and calm personality and has a strong loyalty towards Clemont.

He he he..

Last edited:

KidOblivion

Johto League Champ
I'm convinced as DP brought us THREE Ground-types, Best Wishes brought us TWO Dark-types, that Kalos can give Ash two Ghost-types. That's right, Phantump and Doublade all the way!

"Yet" being the likely keyword here.. :)

He he he..

He already has two flying types though.

this probably looks like a speculation in my opinion, there is no confirmation that manon would get torchic

I posted an image from TV Tokyo earlier in the week with the Pokemon appearing in the special as well as some that might appear in the anime. Torchic was one of them.

Last edited:

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
He already has two flying types though.

DP doubled up on Flying types and there were THREE Ground types.
BW doubled up on Water, Grass, Fighting, Dark and Ground types.

So I doubt it matters that he has doubled up already, since the writers clearly aren't too phased regarding the number of type overlaps..

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
I posted an image from TV Tokyo earlier in the week with the Pokemon appearing in the special as well as some that might appear in the anime. Torchic was one of them.

i see

yet i can't see how manon would get torchic if its a pokemon not within her taste :x ( she has flabebe and chespin which are both grass types) perhaps a treecko

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
i see

yet i can't see how manon would get torchic if its a pokemon not within her taste :x ( she has flabebe and chespin which are both grass types) perhaps a treecko

Flabebe is not a grass type its Fairy type and she didnt shown an interest in grass types anyway, Trochic is perfectly fine for her.

KidOblivion

Johto League Champ
i see

If she wants a Mega, then Torchic is a fine choice for her. Also, Flabebe learns mostly Grass type moves, but it's pure fairy.

I think Torchic would be a great fit for her, honestly.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
It makes no sense to give a main character a Pokemon that can Mega evolve and have him use that feature. Its like have Ash go to a new region and not catch the local Pokemon since just being in the new region is promoting it anyway.

No its diferent in the anime they dont like the main characters to look too strong and mega evolution is a huge power boost and no its not like nothing catching a local pokemon, its different you have to train a pokemon to its max evolution and then unlock this power by having a mega acessory and the respective mega stone, the processes aren't comprable.

Showing a pokemon so people are interested in the line and use it is the reason Luxray would be used if a mega evo does exist.

If this isn't the reason(mega evo) its also easy to understand what they did, they wanted to give him another eletric pokemon for the gym battle since we have seen his other pokemon already, he has the two electric lines from Kalos already(Heliolisk and Dedene) so they gave him a random probably popular pokemon.

small dex is small

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
DP doubled up on Flying types and there were THREE Ground types.
BW doubled up on Water, Grass, Fighting, Dark and Ground types.

So I doubt it matters that he has doubled up already, since the writers clearly aren't too phased regarding the number of type overlaps..

Also, DP gave Ash his first Dragon-type. BW gave Ash his first two Dark-types. I'm willing to hope that XY gives Ash either his first Dhost-type or Deel-type.

XY doubling up on Flying and Ghost-types wouldn't be an issue for me. It's like saying that one would be upset if Ash got Celebi and a Beldum.. Two interesting pokemon, but hey.. Ash would have his first of this type, but double up on them, so it's an issue! Just imagine how that disregards quite a lot: Celebi's Grass-typing and uhm.. legendary status, Beldum as being part Steel as well, and notably how they are NOTHING ALIKE. Hence, the doubling up on types never seemed like an issue to me, but hey, there are those that are small minded and take offense to it.

Shraeder

It's Lit
I haven't posted in ages so I guess I'll do an Ash prediction :p
•Pikachu-same but please stop starring every gym thank you xD
•Greninja-Water Pulse/Pledge/Hydro Pump, Water Shuriken, Night Slash, Double Team/Shadow Sneak
•Talonflame-Flamethrower, Flame Charge, Brave Bird, Razor Wind
•Hawlucha-Flying Press, HJK, Acrobatics, Stone Edge(make it more like Gliscor)
•Phantump-Horn Leech, Shadow Ball/Sneak, Energy Ball, Will-O-Wisp
•Sliggoo-Dragon Pulse, Body Slam, Muddy Water, Protect

Ok so Sliggoo might seem like a strange choice to you guys but I chose it because Ash usually(always) has a First Stage Pokemon in his roster. The only Kalos Pokemon that could fit the slot would be Doublade, but I kind of think it's a weird Pokemon for him to have since it's based off of an object :/ Also does anyone think they're setting up Ash's possible Greninja to learn Night Slash by giving Froakie Cut?

Dayn

I haven't posted in ages so I guess I'll do an Ash prediction :p
•Pikachu-same but please stop starring every gym thank you xD
•Greninja-Water Pulse/Pledge/Hydro Pump, Water Shuriken, Night Slash, Double Team/Shadow Sneak
•Talonflame-Flamethrower, Flame Charge, Brave Bird, Razor Wind
•Hawlucha-Flying Press, HJK, Acrobatics, Stone Edge(make it more like Gliscor)
•Phantump-Horn Leech, Shadow Ball/Sneak, Energy Ball, Will-O-Wisp
•Sliggoo-Dragon Pulse, Body Slam, Muddy Water, Protect

Ok so Sliggoo might seem like a strange choice to you guys but I chose it because Ash usually(always) has a First Stage Pokemon in his roster. The only Kalos Pokemon that could fit the slot would be Doublade, but I kind of think it's a weird Pokemon for him to have since it's based off of an object :/ Also does anyone think they're setting up Ash's possible Greninja to learn Night Slash by giving Froakie Cut?

I totally agree with your prediction for Pokémon and movesets. Still, I don't want the Goomy line with Ash... I can see it, but meh... My prediction was the same as yours but giving him a male Meowstic instead of it, so that the strong-weak pattern that writers followed in AG would be accomplished once more... But who knows. After Clemont's Luxio I think making predictions won't be easy.

And yes, I definitely believe that the writers decided that Froakie should learn Cut as a foreshadowing of Night Slash. I guess it'll learn a flying type move when it evolves to Frogadier that replaces Bubble (Acrobatics or Bounce) and that it'll be starring Ramos' gym in a final battle against Gogoat. (This happened a lot in the previous gen: Oshawott VS Pansage, Boldore VS Excadrill, Krookorok vs Beartic). Then, when it evolves to Greninja, it'll learn Water Shuriken and Cut will definitely be replaced by Night Slash, leading to: Water Pulse, Double Team, Night Slash and Water Shuriken (which sounds like a perfect moveset for a ninja based Pokémon imo).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.