• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters XY Pokémon Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I want this series to play out almost exactly like AG in terms of Pokemon. Froakie is the new Treecko who will fully evolve, and Ash will only get 3 other pokemon....maybe 4 at the most.

Serena will probably have a team of around 4, and Clemont will have a team similar to Brock/Cilan.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
No, I don't want another Torkoal situation.

Not you shading the good sis Torkoal like that. I actually agree though. Torkoal was my least favorite Hoenn Pokemon that Ash ever had. I just didn't get it; it wasn't that strong and its constant crying and dramatics got irritating after a few episodes. I rarely see anyone criticize Torkoal though. It seemed really flawed but it gets a free pass almost all the time.

But this phobia of Ash having unevolved Pokemon on his Kalos isn't cute imo. Like, we barely know how his team will come together and people are already panicking about whether or not his team will be fully evolved or not. It's kind of frustrating that his team is judged so early on. There are so many good Kalos Pokemon that could remain unevolved and still be great imo, but they're attacked before they're even given a chance.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The reason Ash got Torkoal is because Hoenn didn't have many fire pokemon aside from Torchic.

The only alternative was Numel/Camerupt but for some reason they decided not to go with it.

KKS-Lapras

The reason Ash got Torkoal is because Hoenn didn't have many fire pokemon aside from Torchic.

The only alternative was Numel/Camerupt but for some reason they decided not to go with it.

Same can be said for grass types this gen, the choices are limited.

Lorde

Same can be said for grass types this gen, the choices are limited.

The choices probably wouldn't seem so limited if some people didn't ignore Skiddo/Gogoat and pretend that only Phantump/Trevenant and Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist exist. :x

KKS-Lapras

The choices probably wouldn't seem so limited if some people didn't ignore Skiddo/Gogoat and pretend that only Phantump/Trevenant and Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist exist. :x

Us some people don't ignore it, we don't see it as a Pokemon that in any way fits Ash. The other two lines are more interesting.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys

Hey there, remember Serena, tall girl, brown hair, gets Fenniken soon??

Now guess who also needs a grass type??

And guess who has racing connections and could actually benefit more from Skiddo??

Ya that's right, Serena.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
If you're really expecting XY to mirror AG, then I imagine this is how it would pan out for the league..

Pikachu
Talonflame (Swellow)
Frogadier (Grovyle)
Skiddo/Bulbasaur (Torkoal)
Pancham (Corphish)
Noivern (Glalie)

Eh, I guess I'd actually be okay with that team.. provided reserves are mixed in for the league.

Navin

MALDREAD
Not you shading the good sis Torkoal like that. I actually agree though. Torkoal was my least favorite Hoenn Pokemon that Ash ever had. I just didn't get it; it wasn't that strong and its constant crying and dramatics got irritating after a few episodes. I rarely see anyone criticize Torkoal though. It seemed really flawed but it gets a free pass almost all the time.

But this phobia of Ash having unevolved Pokemon on his Kalos isn't cute imo. Like, we barely know how his team will come together and people are already panicking about whether or not his team will be fully evolved or not. It's kind of frustrating that his team is judged so early on. There are so many good Kalos Pokemon that could remain unevolved and still be great imo, but they're attacked before they're even given a chance.

Torkoal gets mad respect for bringing Brandon's Registeel down to its knees. Maybe if Ash hadn't gotten too cocky in that battle, he might have actually managed a tie or win.

KKS-Lapras

Yeah, I can see Ash getting a fairy type this gen instead of grass, especially since some of the fairy pokemon this gen actually look like grass pokemon.

Very possible, or a Fairy type could just take the place of grass altogether.

Hey there, remember Serena, tall girl, brown hair, gets Fenniken soon??

Now guess who also needs a grass type??

And guess who has racing connections and could actually benefit more from Skiddo??

Ya that's right, Serena.

It's definitely more fitting for her, imo.

I forgot about Gible, I still have small hopes of Gible returning and becoming Mega Garchomp.

I've always hoped it would get a moment to shine somehow seeing as it had such a brief tenure with Ash. It reminds me of Phanpy a lot.

Lorde

People don't ignore it, they just don't want ash to get it.

That's what I was implying. :p

Torkoal gets mad respect for bringing Brandon's Registeel down to its knees. Maybe if Ash hadn't gotten too cocky in that battle, he might have actually managed a tie or win.

I personally didn't think that battle was interesting; the fact that Torkoal had the advantage and still lost just left a bitter taste in my mouth. Although there are Pokemon that have done worse so Torkoal isn't a big problem. I don't want Ash's XY team to mirror his AG team though. I don't want the second-coming of Corphish or Sceptile; I thought both were overrated (for different reasons) and all the Froakie = Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile talk that has started recently is bringing back those bad memories from what I lurked here during 2004/2005 and saw the unbelievable amount of support that the Treecko line got. It just seemed so unfair to Ash's other Pokemon and I don't want Froakie to overshadow Ash's entire XY team.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
You have to remember, back when Sceptile was only the second fully evolved Pokemon Ash had. It was only Charizard otherwise as the Johto team failed to amount to anything.

Also AG was the first series with "mature and competent" Ash, so we had higher expectations. Literally every series that has come after has been directly influenced by AG. It truly brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

ShinyCharyZard

People don't ignore it, they just don't want ash to get it.

That's what I was implying. :p

I can't help but wonder why so many people would be against Ash using a Pokemon with the Sap Sipper ability anyway.. I mean, what use are Natural Cure, Frisk or Harvest on one of those Ghosts going to be? I personally would much rather see a Skiddo that's able to take a load of Grass attacks and then come back with the most powerful Double Edge you've ever seen..

KKS-Lapras

I can't help but wonder why so many people would be against Ash using a Pokemon with the Sap Sipper ability anyway.. I mean, what use are Natural Cure, Frisk or Harvest on one of those Ghosts going to be? I personally would much rather see a Skiddo that's able to take a load of Grass attacks and then come back with the most powerful Double Edge you've ever seen..

Personality, design, typing, all are more interesting on the two Ghost/Grass type lines. The abilities are much less focused on in the show.

ShinyCharyZard

Personality, design, typing, all are more interesting on the two Ghost/Grass type lines. The abilities are much less focused on in the show.

You can't say that the Ghost's personalities are better when we are yet to see the personalities of any of them.. Also, the favourable design will differ from person to person, with some preferring the goat and others preferring the ghosts. Plus there's no guarantee that the Ghost typing will even be used, remember Scraggy's Dark typing? Yeah me neither..

Abilities are touched upon more and more with every saga. In fact, Sinnoh was a very 'ability heavy' saga and then in Unova, even Leavanny activated his Swarm ability.. Leavanny!! Sap Sipper would really come in handy and seeing Ash's Grass type be immune to other Grass type moves would not only be something new and interesting, but would most probably guarantee a large role in the Gym battle against Ramos, until his own Gogoat comes out and gives Ash the same issue, meaning Talonflame has to swoop in and destroy it..

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
I forgot about Gible, I still have small hopes of Gible returning and becoming Mega Garchomp.

Its pretty obvious that Charizard will be Ash's mega evolution*. God, that thing will be ridiculously overpowered. If he doesn't win the league with the Mega evolved form of a Pokemon that has taken on legendary pokemon in its non mega evolved state then this will be pure bs.

Also I'm loving that the second episode made Ash look like a total badass. Its about time, although its weird since in previous story arcs we normally see the champion, gym leader or e4 taking on and helping out a rampaging pokemon. Either way that second episode made me believe in the writers again.

I personally hope Froakie evolves all the way, as for team expectations Its hard to think of what Pokemon would suit his personality. As for a fairy pokemon the writers can finally give Ash a Clefairy unless they only want him to have Kalos Pokemon.

*That's if the writers allow it

Last edited:

Almighty Zard

He has returned.

which is quickly negated by how easily Tobias Darkrai took it down and didn't even need Dark Void to get the job done.

When I say I don't want a Torkoal situation, I don't want Ash catching someone who is incapable of evolving because they generally tend to get cheated in the end because of that fact, not to mention when Ash had Torkoal he only had five pokemon for most of hoenn, yet the writers felt compelled to only focus on the other four, and even Snorunt got it better since it evolved not too long after it was caught.

Plain rediculiousness

I don't see Ash calling for any of his oaked pokemon until the league at the earliest, if he gets a mega evo pokemon I see it being someone obtained in the region itself like Lucario (which again i'm not holding my breath over, so don't label me an auraholic.)

Ash by league
Pikachu
Greninja
Talonflame
Grass pokemon
Sylveon/Noivern (depends on if they want to premote flying battles as well)
Mega evolution pokemon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.