• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters XY Pokémon Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
Okay, if that is what you think, but you still cant just take credit away if he wins a battle, even with charizard.

I'm not taking any credit away from Ash. He has come a long way but A) He was a horrible trainer back in Kanto and B) Charizard has alway been OP. When a person says this another tries to justify themselves by saying "but Charizard lost to a Pokemon it should have easily defeated", yes but the few times it has happened it has been Ash's fault because he made a stupid call, we have seen this many times with different Pokemon. Like when he fought Roxanne with Treecko the first time despite it not knowing any grass type moves. Like I said it hasnt just happened with charizard but with others as well. Now I said that in recent sagas like Hoenn and Sinnoh he performed well even without Charizard in some instances.

Navin

MALDREAD
So the times charizard lost it was ash's fault, but wen it won it didn't have to do with ash?

What makes Charizard strong is his endurance and the power of his attacks. The burden falls on Ash to successfully utilize all the training that Charizard has gotten over time. Ash does receive credit for that. However, Charizard's own strength factors into that.

Look at the battle against Gary. Charizard pretty much one-shots Scizor and Golem. And then against Blastoise, he takes a super-effective Hydro Pump to the face and shrugs it off. Mind you, this same Hydro Pump KO'd Heracross.

And even when he lost against Dusclops, it was made to appear that he could have won if Ash had used any other finishing move other than a Seismic Toss on a Ghost-type.

World Turtle

I'm not taking any credit away from Ash. He has come a long way but A) He was a horrible trainer back in Kanto and B) Charizard has alway been OP. When a person says this another tries to justify themselves by saying "but Charizard lost to a Pokemon it should have easily defeated", yes but the few times it has happened it has been Ash's fault because he made a stupid call, we have seen this many times with different Pokemon. Like when he fought Roxanne with Treecko the first time despite it not knowing any grass type moves. Like I said it hasnt just happened with charizard but with others as well. Now I said that in recent sagas like Hoenn and Sinnoh he performed well even without Charizard in some instances.

You know in the battle with Roxanne Ash's options were Pikachu (who is at a disadvantage against dual Rock/Ground-types), Taillow (notably weak to Rock-types), and Treeko so he didn't have much choice because the writers wanted Ash to "start fresh" (read: showcase Gen III Pokemon). Ash is constantly screwed over by marketing IMO.

However I do agree he wasn't much of a Trainer in Kanto.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
You know in the battle with Roxanne Ash's options were Pikachu (who is at a disadvantage against dual Rock/Ground-types), Taillow (notably weak to Rock-types), and Treeko so he didn't have much choice because the writers wanted Ash to "start fresh" (read: showcase Gen III Pokemon). Ash is constantly screwed over by marketing IMO.

However I do agree he wasn't much of a Trainer in Kanto.
The writers constantly screw him over. At least this time I have a good feeling.

As for his team I'm sure the writers are going to want to showcase a fairy type pokemon on Ash's team or Serena's team.
I know people say Ash won't get a Gogoat but I feel lke it fits his style.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
The writers constantly screw him over. At least this time I have a good feeling.

As for his team I'm sure the writers are going to want to showcase a fairy type pokemon on Ash's team or Serena's team.

Wouldn't Dedenne kind of count for the promotional Fairy type though?

Luthor

that would be fine if that did end up as the only one but i could see a fairy or two more being used given that Dedenne is porbably going to be used by Bonnie and thus may not battle as often. Perhaps kelfki for Clemont, or Carbink for Ash or Sylveon for Serena. Who knows?

You know what the writers are like though. They sometimes ignore a secondary typing and focus more on the primary.

They might focus on dedennes electric attributes and downplay the fairy

@Ace Detective, They still can use the egg moves that has Fairy moves.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
You know what the writers are like though. They sometimes ignore a secondary typing and focus more on the primary.

They might focus on dedennes electric attributes and downplay the fairy

Moves aren't everything. They may also use Dedenne to introduce Fairy types' strengths and weaknesses. For example, they could have a moment in the anime where a powerful Dragon type like Haxorus and Hydreigon blasts Dedenne with a move like Dragon Pulse or Draco Meteor, causing Ash and the others to freak out since they thought Dedenne would be wiped out and they couldn't do anything to help it for whatever reason. However, after the dragon type launched the attack, everyone would have a surprised look on their faces to see Dedenne without any scratches or bruises and jumping up and down as if the attack tickled or something

Moves aren't everything. They may also use Dedenne to introduce Fairy types' strengths and weaknesses. For example, they could have a moment in the anime where a powerful Dragon type like Haxorus and Hydreigon blasts Dedenne with a move like Dragon Pulse or Draco Meteor, causing Ash and the others to freak out since they thought Dedenne would be wiped out and they couldn't do anything to help it for whatever reason. However, after the dragon type launched the attack, everyone would have a surprised look on their faces to see Dedenne without any scratches or bruises and jumping up and down as if the attack tickled or something

I wasn't talking about moves. I was talking in general.

Scraggys dark type was ignored (off hand I can't think of a single time it was mentioned)
Krookodile had a dark move until it was replaced but was still primarily treated as a ground type
Pignite was more fire then fighting
The normal typing of his birds don't get much focus besides them normally having quick attack

Luthor

Scraggys dark type was ignored (off hand I can't think of a single time it was mentioned)
Krookodile had a dark move until it was replaced but was still primarily treated as a ground type
The normal typing of his birds don't get much focus besides them normally having quick attack

not to mention the normal types immunity to ghost seems to often get forgotten or doesn't get much focus.

Shraeder

It's Lit

I believe they mentioned Scraggy's Dark type when he fought Simipour and it used Low Sweep on him. Also, Krookodile only knew 1 Ground move, but the rest of your points are true.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash

There is still hope. Remember that Excadrill was treated as both Ground (Pikachu's electric attacks) and Steel (Scolipede's poisonous attacks) and Palpitoad was treated as Water (mention of Flame Charge not being very effective against it) and Ground (Stoutland' Thunder Fang). Probably the producers will do a better job in XY.

Luthor

Now this may just be me but I hope when Chespin appears it does not know/learn vine whip. I've always thought that's an overused move.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

I agree about Gogoat, but I don't think a Fairy-type is necessary on Ash's team when Clemont and/or Bonnie has Dedenne. Serena might get one I suppose, but I don't even want to predict which one she'll get; there's only one Gen 6 Fairy-type line that I love and most people hate it so I won't bring it up. Fairy-types should be promoted on Team Rocket's team as well though. I'd love to see Swirlix on either Jessie or James's team eventually.

Now this may just be me but I hope when Chespin appears it does not know/learn vine whip. I've always thought that's an overused move.

Agreed. I'm hoping we see chespin with moves we don't normally see grass types on the main cast with

- tackle
- seed bomb
- grass pledge
- Mud shot

Would be a good starting moveset in my opinion.

Then maybe learn things like wood hammer as it gets stronger.

Of if it fully evolves

Chesnaught
- Seed Bomb
- Hammet Arm
- Spiky Shield
- mud shot

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Something is gonna have it if it can learn... so if Ash does get Skiddo (ugh), it'll have it for sure.
I don't really see the downside to Ash getting Skiddo. With the lack of Grass types this gen, and Clemont getting Chesipn, he'll either get Skiddo, Phantump, Pumpkaboo, or the writers could pull another surprise and have Bulbasaur rejoin the team just so it can evolve into Venasuar and then mega evolve. If Ash does get Skiddo, I can kind of see this as his regional stay-unevolved pokémon such as several his starters, Corphish, Buizel, Gible, and Scraggy

Last edited:

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
I don't really see the downside to Ash getting Skiddo. With the lack of Grass types this gen, and Clemont getting Chesipn, he'll either get Skiddo, Phantump, or the writers could pull another surprise and have Bulbasaur rejoin the team just so it can evolve into Venasuar and then mega evolve. If Ash does get Skiddo, I can kind of see this as his regional stay-unevolved pokémon such as several his starters, Corphish, Buizel, Gible, and Scraggy

I think that as well. I wouldn't really be surprised if Skiddo was the... anti-evolution scapegoat (XD).

Status
Not open for further replies.