• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters XY Pokémon Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAndrews

I think there is still room for one more capture. Goodra is not confirmed yet. Plus Ash shouldn't use a pokemon that is going back into the wild straight after the league anyway. Ash needs and deserves a 6th pokemon that will stay at the lab because that counts as being owned.

So Charizard, Squirtle and Gliscor aren't his either?

The scans state:
Strategy 2: His 6th partner arrives!!
As Ash wins his way through the Kalos League, he reaches the point where he has to fight a 6-on-6 full battle. Ash currently has 5 Pokémon on hand. By adding one more Pokémon, his ultimate team is complete!

And no, there isn't time for a capture since the League starts in 3 episodes. Catching a new inexperienced Pokemon doesn't exactly make an "ultimate team". Not to mention the scan says "add" not "capture", which implies the return of a reserve.
He needs to add an already experienced powerhouse to the team and I seriously doubt he's just conveniently meeting Goodra 2 episodes before the League while needing a 6th.

Vincentium

Beyond Evolution
I think there is still room for one more capture. Goodra is not confirmed yet. Plus Ash shouldn't use a pokemon that is going back into the wild straight after the league anyway. Ash needs and deserves a 6th pokemon that will stay at the lab because that counts as being owned.

Well, it could possibly happen after the Kalos League, but I really doubt Goodra is going back to the swamp if it returns to his team during the tournament. There's just so much attention given to it at this point in the anime despite being released previously.

AuraGuardian448

Aura Guardian
I read part of those scans the other guy said above -_- (great, sigh..)

I had just saw a better image of the Alan screen, as the one shown here was crap. So it is apparently confirmed that Trevor indeed will have Mega Charizard Y (vs Alan's Charizard... in a 3v3 battle).

What people want is six captures EXCLUDING Pikachu since that is what always happens so they think it NEEDS to happen again.

I've been saying forever that Ash already has six pokemon including Goodra but no one listened to me lol.

That's not what people want. That is also in the minority. People just want Ash with a full team, including Pikachu (whom should not be included). Over the months and years I had also believed when people said 6th capture they meant actual 6 regional captures, but what they have mostly always meant was a 6th (general) capture with Pikachu included. Like I said previously, there is a misconception with captures people want Ash to have and how its used. (It also did not happen in AG, which XY seems to apparently doing the samething, so it doesn't "always" happen.)

.... Six Pokemon, six regional captures, etc are not all the same. And Ash does not have six Pokemon unless Goodra is actually planned to both come back to Ash and for good. A burrow will not count, regardless of how you try to sugar coat it. There's a difference between a friend and a friend in training, especially if Goodra is only brought back for this generation then not used in future generations. If Goodra comes back, he'll have 6 Pokemon, a complete team, but he will not have 6 regional captures or a 6th capture (since Pikachu does not count). Labeling Goodra or Noivern as 6th capture additionally is not only technically wrong but also =/= 6th slot. I just mentioned this in my previous reply.

Clarity
- 6th Capture = 6th Regional capture (Pikachu is a pre-capture so it does not count as a new capture per generation, nor even as an older generation capture like Aipom in Sinnoh)

- 6th Slot/Pokemon = Full Mon Team (with Pikachu included, because capture =/= slot). Pikachu takes up a slot, one of the 6 slots a trainer has per generation (if they store their mons), but it's not a capture as it's already caught prior to new captures.

Examples
Greninja is Ash's first capture this generation, but Pikachu is Ash's first slot Pokemon this generation. Furthermore, Talonflame is Ash's 2nd capture this generation but 3rd slot Pokemon, not his 3rd capture because of Pikachu's relevance; Pikachu does not count towards captures, only slot.

So like I said, some people use the terminologies right and some use it wrong. I tend to personally use it the right way-- Goodra is Ash's 4th capture, original 5th slot, and hypothetical future 6th slot (because of the departure), while Noivern is Ash's 5th (last if nothing else comes up after Goodra) capture and new 4th slot. If Goodra returns however, I believe it changes again back to the original way.

Red and Blue

Well, it could possibly happen after the Kalos League, but I really doubt Goodra is going back to the swamp if it returns to his team during the tournament. There's just so much attention given to it at this point in the anime despite being released previously.

Why not? The swamp ismits home were all of its friends are at. It doesn't have to go back to Ash permanetly

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Why not? The swamp ismits home were all of its friends are at. It doesn't have to go back to Ash permanetly

It would be pointless to bring Goodra back just so it can return to the swamp. I rather see Ash own him permanently and send it to the lab with his currently owned pokemon.

kickachu

Momentai!
It would be pointless to bring Goodra back just so it can return to the swamp. I rather see Ash own him permanently and send it to the lab with his currently owned pokemon.

Maybe it doesn't have to return to the swamp look at Gliscor for instance it took us three years before we found out it was at oak's lab so if it ends up in status unknown in Bulbapedia it has a good chance to go to the lab and be the first of ash's pokemon that was released and rejoin the team

dp045

As it seems to indicate that during the league (at least in the early rounds) Ash did not use the pokemon you have with the Pr. Oak can assume that not having an episode of meeting with all pokémon Ash, right?
Well at least I would like that the writers give a convincing argument for why Ash only use the pokemon you have on hand rather than simply "forgetting" of those who already have.

PS: When it was mentioned that the Sixth Pokemon Ash is still a mystery, this meant that Ash would complete his team being in the League or before you start this?

Last edited:

ShadowForce720

As it seems to indicate that during the league (at least in the early rounds) Ash did not use the pokemon you have with the Pr. Oak can assume that not having an episode of meeting with all pokémon Ash, right?
Well at least I would like that the writers give a convincing argument for why Ash only use the pokemon you have on hand rather than simply "forgetting" of those who already have.

PS: When it was mentioned that the Sixth Pokemon Ash is still a mystery, this meant that Ash would complete his team being in the League or before you start this?

Well here are the 3 possibilities that I think could happen:

1. In pokemon XY&Z episode 30 Goodra returns to Ash's team or In pokemon XY&Z episode 30 or 31 Ash gets a new capture.
2. Goodra returns during the league when Ash needs to use it for a 6vs6.
3. Team Flare interrupts the league causing the league to be postponed for 1-2 or maybe even 3 months and within that time Ash gets a new capture.

Now I'm assuming that the 6th member is probably Goodra, but it could be referring to a new capture.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I completely agree, it's a thing, it's tiny and an object.
And this discussion about 6th pokemon should be over since Phantump episode.
We all should know at this point that Ash is going to Kalos league with just 5 pokemon, and surely Goodra will complete for battle 6x6. So it's over, there's no 6th Kalos capture, there's no grass type. XY is doing things by strange ways, putting league first than Zygard arc. I really think the writers did things very fast.

Couldn't disagree more. Lets just take a look:
- Serena: Took their time developing her as a character, instead of rushing into badge-quest for which she was mentally unprepared for.
- Ash: His team developed quite nicely, and Greninja didn't really take charge until after Asintar City/Olympia. And it certainly didn't perfect its form-change in one episode. Yes, Goodra got rammed in there, but that was because Ash vs. Clemont needed a hype-mon, asap.
- Clemont: They took their time deve.. wait.. They didn't? But it took a long time before Bunnelby got a focus episode, so there's that.
- Bonnie: They actually did build up her bonding episodes and then gave her Squishy. It felt like a natural progression.

Best W. also did the UL first, and then we got Episode N. This is actually not too much different, aside from the fact that as opposed to Episode N, that we have already gotten build-up for the Team Flare-conclusion since Mega Act I and since the beginning of XYZ. So, XYZ can be seen as a stretched out Episode N, with 4 the Mega Evolution acts acting as preludes.

So, they actually did take a lot of time with most of their respective storylines. The only things that went fast were Sawyer's sudden power-up (lol at the selfreflexive bit of the episode title "I gained EXP!") and the jump from getting the last badge to the league is also blink and miss, but it's not a bad call.

As Ash wins his way through the Kalos League, he reaches the point where he has to fight a 6-on-6 full battle. Ash currently has 5 Pokémon on hand. By adding one more Pokémon, his ultimate team is complete!

And no, there isn't time for a capture since the League starts in 3 episodes. Catching a new inexperienced Pokemon doesn't exactly make an "ultimate team". Not to mention the scan says "add" not "capture", which implies the return of a reserve.

He needs to add an already experienced powerhouse to the team and I seriously doubt he's just conveniently meeting Goodra 2 episodes before the League while needing a 6th.

Haven't commented on this before... but...

Return of the PIDGEOT!

Nah, who am I kidding, knowing XY's fetish for doubling up on types, I'm fully expecting Gible to show up. I'll be up in a bunch if Torterra returns.. and finally uses that Energy Ball-swallowing skill.

Seriously, aside from Torterra not getting a win at the Sinnoh League, I'm still PO'd at the fact they set up a unique skill with Grotle swallowing an Energy Ball to get a massive power-up, and then don't use it when push came to shove.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
With only 5 Pokemon to develop, they still didn't give sufficient time to all of them... Talonflame was limited to Gym Battles, Noibat/Noviern had almost no focus for months, Hawlucha hasn't had an update since it's 6th Gym Appearance and Ash-Greninja has thrown a loop in Ash's regular batting style.

Seriously, aside from Torterra not getting a win at the Sinnoh League, I'm still PO'd at the fact they set up a unique skill with Grotle swallowing an Energy Ball to get a massive power-up, and then don't use it when push came to shove.
It was clearly set up to be used as a Dawn Technique lol (Which she also failed to use when needed vs Iris's Dragonite)

ShadowForce720

Ok since the battle between Alain and Trevor is a 3vs3 I'm going to try to guess what Trevor's Pokémon are that he is using in that match:

Trevor's Team:
Charizard<-->Mega Charizard Y(Confirmed)
Florges
Barbaracle/Dragalge/Tyrantrum

as for what Alain well use I'm just going to guess this team for him for the match:

Alain's Team:
Charizard<-->Mega Charizard X(Confirmed)
Metagross
Tyranitar

Although to be honest I'm not even sure if were going to see the last 2 because I find it a bit odd that Mega Charizard X and Mega Charizard Y are being the first pokemon to be sent out in the match.

Here is some predictions for teams of Sawyer and Tierno for their match:

Sawyer's Team:
Sceptile<--> Mega Sceptile(confirmed)
Clawitzer
Salamence

Tierno's Team:
Blastoise
Raichu(confirmed)
a Fire type pokemon(I'm just randomly guessing on this one since it seems like a fire type move is being used in the match although that scene might be from a different match)

As for some of the other teams in a 3vs3:

Astrid:
Absol<-->Mega Absol(confirmed)
Pyroar(Male)
Meowstic(Female)

Remos:
Garchomp<-->Mega Garchomp(confirmed)
2nd pokemon
3rd pokemon

I'm really not sure on what other pokemon he will have.

Last edited:

dman_dustin

Only playing Devil's Advocate here:

The scans state:
When referring to character "Arrives" typically means the episode they show in. That statement could refer to the episode it's captured in.

Not to mention the scan says "add" not "capture", which implies the return of a reserve.

I would argue technically that "capture" would be inaccurate in that statement.

While there is nothing wrong with saying "You have five Pokemon, capturing one more would mean you have a full party"

BUT in context to what the scan says, I feel like regardless of what type of Pokemon it is (method-wise, capture/reserve) using "adding" would make more sense to use in context of talking about the quantity of Pokemon to Ash's team. While "capturing" is the method of ADDING a member to his team.

For example: Ash has four team members, he adds Noibat to his team to make five. Method: Capture.

An otherwise example: Ash has five team members he adds Goodra to his team to make six. Method: Recalling it back to his team

So you can't argue against a capture simply because the word was "adding" since "adding" has nothing to do with the actual method to giving him six Pokemon. It's more of a math statement than a straight up factual statement.

The point is: HOW is the Pokemon being added to his team? Therefore the statement is vague and open to multiple interpretations. In fact one interpretation basically implies Goodra isn't said Pokemon and rather a specific Pokemon from Ash's past not related to Kalos simply by the word "ultimate" and I highly doubt Goodra would qualify over the numerous other past generation Pokemon. If it mean "Ultimate Kalos Team" then yes it would be likely Goodra.

Last edited:

Red and Blue

The promo clearly states that "as he fights his way through the league" does he realize he needs a sixth Pokemon meaning that he still have five Pokemon by the time he enters

dman_dustin

You know the thing that annoys me the most is Sawyer was talking about Ash capturing Pokemon AFTER Ash caught Noibat, and yet Ash never did and likely never will. What the hell was the point of Sawyer even saying that to Ash if it wasn't even going to happen?

===============
Devil's Advocate:

The promo clearly states that "as he fights his way through the league" does he realize he needs a sixth Pokemon meaning that he still have five Pokemon by the time he enters

Except for the casual viewer "Prior to any actual episode" the statement would be correct.

Let's assume he has six Pokemon BY the league. The statement isn't wrong, because it's a pretty straight up sentence saying "Ash has reached the point where he would need to use six Pokemon full on full" Casual viewer would be concerned by the statement if it outright said he already had 6 Pokemon because he DOES NOT. Unless of course they revealed it so of course the 2nd sentence wouldn't be wrong, because it would CLEARLY refer to a point in time PRIOR to Ash hypothetically catching a 6th Pokemon.

Wouldn't Ash need to register six Pokemon BEFORE entering the league? Maybe Ash having reserves adds to that total amount of number, but assuming it does. How can Ash enter the league with 5 Pokemon and conveniently "call" a sixth Pokemon SOLELY for full battles? Wouldn't one need to register all the Pokemon you plan on using beforehand.

If Carbink is not caught, or any other Pokemon for that matter. Then the ONLY way it will end up actually being Goodra is within the episode Ash mentions to Goodra that he'd like to use him in the Pokemon league AKA registering Goodra for when he needs Goodra and then Goodra can arrive whenever.

IF Goodra is not registered, must be a reserve.

IF it's NOT Goodra NOR a Reserve, then Ash would have to register with 6 Pokemon ALREADY on him thus the blurb refers to a capture.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Tbh, it's actually a really good thing that Ash doesn't capture anything new. His current pokemon(plus Goodra) really need as many battles as they can get.

While Pikachu and Greninja have more then enough, Talonflame, Hawlucha, Noivern, and Goodra all need multiple wins to make there battle records look decent.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
In other words, as a useless gag mon? Then again, that's basically what it was under Pierre's ownership, except not being remotely funny...

The fact that Pierre owned one himself is why I didn't think its chances of being caught by Ash were that high any ways. But frankly, I don't care much about his team anymore since it seems like the cast is done with captures now. ^^;

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Tbh, it's actually a really good thing that Ash doesn't capture anything new. His current pokemon(plus Goodra) really need as many battles as they can get.

While Pikachu and Greninja have more then enough, Talonflame, Hawlucha, Noivern, and Goodra all need multiple wins to make there battle records look decent.

Noivern especially.

JudySpell

Banned

I don't care where he goes after the League but it's not as though he's played a huge part ever since he left. All he's done from that point til now is make a cameo during Master Class.

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
IIf Goodra comes back and is used for the league but gets sent back to the swamp, it's not like it won't be any different than Squirtle or Charizard when it was still at the Charicific Valley. Keanan watches over the swamp correct? So if, after Kalos, Ash wants to use Goodra, there's always that possibility (no matter how small) that Ash can call Keanan to get Goodra for a battle. And before you say that Serebii and Bulbapedia say that it has been released, just know that it's not going to be changed until we do see it comeback. So if it comes back for the league, it may be put in that category afterward.

I have to disagree on that because unlike Squirtle and Charixard they're still close by Ash's hometown so they have the luxury of not having to be at Oaks. So, I think Goodra will come back permanently after XY&Z030.

Status
Not open for further replies.