• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters XY Pokémon Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelldude400

I wouldn't stop watching the anime if Ash traded Froakie for a Magikarp >_>
I can accept Skiddo on his team, it seems decently likely, I just think it wouldn't be as interesting as a ghost/grass mon.

NintendoWolf88

Electric Trainer!
Look like I said, if Skiddo happens, so be it, I will initially hate it but I will get over it and be okay with it, but if people are so obsessed with "what's wrong with Skiddo/Gogoat" ignoring that it really is a bland Pokemon overall, and has nothing to offer Ash like the Ghost/Grass Pokemon.

Really bland Pokemon? That's your opinion, but you make it seem like everybody else should have it too :/

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
See this is also why I don't want Ash with Gogoat or even Skiddo.

Look, it's quite simple, really, I will accept Skiddo/Gogoat if it happens, it's the worst grass choice for Ash, but I will accept it.

I'll throw a mini fit, just get my anger out but I will accept it.

But I'm seeing a double standard brewing (from other people), or even something coming off as hypocritical.

I'm willing to accept Skiddo should it happen, but I have to ask, if Ash does get Phantump or even Pumpkaboo.Will those people who are decrying my opinion of Skiddo/Gogoat acting as if Skiddo/Gogoat should be thrown under the bus, will those people accept the ghost/grass Pokemon.

Because frankly anyone who says "what's with people having problems with Gogoat" it seems like they are Prop Gogoat, and thus I have to flip it and ask either "What's wrong with the ghost/grass Pokemon?" or even so far as to ask "What does Skiddo/Gogoat even offer Ash more so than the ghost/grass Pokemon?"

Look like I said, if Skiddo happens, so be it, I will initially hate it but I will get over it and be okay with it, but if people are so obsessed with "what's wrong with Skiddo/Gogoat" ignoring that it really is a bland Pokemon overall, and has nothing to offer Ash like the Ghost/Grass Pokemon.

But what's wrong with the ghost/grass Pokemon?

I mean really. Are the designs so offputting, that you just can't accept not everything in this world will appeal to you. I'm sure Ash has gotten plenty of Pokemon you didn't care about.

Why would it bother you people so much if Ash got the ghost/grass Pokemon?

I would be annoyed if Ash got Skiddo, but it wouldn't bother me so much that I find the show intolerable to watch just because he had one. So really what is the issue? Are they just too abnormal for grass types for you to handle.

Like I said before. I'm fine with him possibly getting Sudowoodo's cousin but hell to the no on the pumpkin, it's design is terrible and it is a special pokemon with a better attack stat. It just doesn't make sense to me. If they have to give Ash one of the ghosts, I would much rather they give Ash the tree maybe near the 4th badge so it can be caught fully evolved. The first form of the tree is just downright weird.

Edit:

fire resists fairy type moves and the bird learns steel wing by level up which is super effective against fairies. He has a defense already set to help him with that fairy gym.

So translation, Pikachu stars and just Iron Tails things.

We all were thinking it people.

Last edited:

Nacreous

Fire trainer
You know,I'm torn between Bulbasaur and Phantump.

Bulbasaur has reasons to return and evolve and stuff...it's the perfect region for it.And it kinda follows the games as you receive a Kanto starter.

But I really want Ash with Phantump.Not only did he not catch a Ghost type ever,Phantump is incredibly cute.It's probably one of the cutest pokemon ever designed.And I believe its moves,style of battling,personality and body type would add diversity to Ash's team.

dman_dustin

Really bland Pokemon? That's your opinion, but you make it seem like everybody else should have it too :/

I didn't mean it like that.

What I meant, I didn't write it correctly was, that people are constantly repeating "What's wrong with Skiddo?" "Everyone hates Skiddo for some odd unknowable reason" over and over and over, and yet they keep ignoring that "What's wrong with Skiddo for whatever odd reason" and yet they keep ignoring the reasons I and others have posted about it being a bland pure grass type, that has nothing beneficial to offer Ash. I mean as Joltik pointed out, the only unique move it can learn is wild charge. Pumpkaboo can learn a whole slew of interesting moves, and because Phantump is part ghost it also has many interesting choices to offer Ash.

Like I said before. I'm fine with him possibly getting Sudowoodo's cousin but hell to the no on the pumpkin, it's design is terrible and it is a special pokemon with a better attack stat. It just doesn't make sense to me. If they have to give Ash one of the ghosts, I would much rather they give Ash the tree maybe near the 4th badge so it can be caught fully evolved. The first form of the tree is just downright weird.

I don't know why anyone hates Pumpkaboo so much.

Look I get that Gourgeist really is the worst possible Pokemon to evolve from Pumpkaboo, and whoever designed Gourgeist should (and I say this sardonically not seriously) be fired or at the very least should go back to art school for screwing the line over), but I don't see why anyone would have a problem with Pumpkaboo.

Last edited:

SlimKennedy

Personally, I love Pumpkaboo. I've been wishing for a jack-o-lantern like pokémon. But I kinda feel like it would suit James more than Ash. Sure Skiddo/Gogoat may not really have anything new to offer Ash, but I for one believe it suits him on appearance alone. And as much as we'd all like to see Ash's pokémon with diverse and interesting move sets, we all know that it's not always going to happen.

MattySadler

You know,I'm torn between Bulbasaur and Phantump.

Bulbasaur has reasons to return and evolve and stuff...it's the perfect region for it.And it kinda follows the games as you receive a Kanto starter.

But I really want Ash with Phantump.Not only did he not catch a Ghost type ever,Phantump is incredibly cute.It's probably one of the cutest pokemon ever designed.And I believe its moves,style of battling,personality and body type would add diversity to Ash's team.

I agree that Phantump is cute, I'd be all for Ash getting on, but I wouldn't be too keen on it evolving. I also wouldn't mind Bulbasaur coming back as its my all-time favourite Pokemon, but it evolving would ruin it and totally undermine it, so if Bulba returns I'm sure it won't evolve.

Personally, I love Pumpkaboo. I've been wishing for a jack-o-lantern like pokémon. But I kinda feel like it would suit James more than Ash. Sure Skiddo/Gogoat may not really have anything new to offer Ash, but I for one believe it suits him on appearance alone. And as much as we'd all like to see Ash's pokémon with diverse and interesting move sets, we all know that it's not always going to happen.

Appearance alone is the main reason I don't want Ash getting Skiddo/ Gogoat!

Nacreous

Fire trainer
I agree that Phantump is cute, I'd be all for Ash getting on, but I wouldn't be too keen on it evolving. I also wouldn't mind Bulbasaur coming back as its my all-time favourite Pokemon, but it evolving would ruin it and totally undermine it, so if Bulba returns I'm sure it won't evolve.

Oh,I doubt Phantump will ever evolve.Not only will it ruin its cuteness and quirkiness,but Trevenant is creepy as hell and really weird.Just look how adorable http://www.deviantart.com/art/Phantump-407941906

And Bulbasaur returning to the main cast and possibly introducing Mega Venusaur would kinda steal the spotlight from Froakie.And the Kalos pokemon deserve to shine,it's their time.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys

Appearance alone is the main reason I don't want Ash getting Skiddo/ Gogoat!

What do you mean undermine it?? He never showed a problem with evolving, he just didn't want to be forced to evolve, he wanted to evolve on his own time, this was stated multiple times by both Ash and the narrator.

KKS-Lapras

So translation, Pikachu stars and just Iron Tails things.

We all were thinking it people.

No, I'm sure not all of us were thinking this, because not all of us have an anti-Pikachu obsession.

I'd love Ash to end up with Trevenant. I know a lot of people say it doesn't fit Ash, but I almost think it would be a perfect fit for the wild card spot on his time, the Glalie/Gible spot. I really have a hard time picturing Ash with Gogoat, it just doesn't suit him, imo.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
May I have a say at this?

Almighty Zard said:
my point still stands, I just want Grass and Fire to stand aside this one time and allow Water dominance for Ash this region starter wise.

That would be a nice thought.

Ahem, back on topic.

This Skiddo VS. Phantump/Pumpkaboo VS. Bulbasaur thing doesn't make much sense to me so I'll just join the debate.

I won't mind if Ash gets a bland and drab Skiddo, the intrestingly creepy yet cute Phantump, or the bland evolver (meaning its evolution is not the best) Pumpkaboo, or old Bulbasaur. I wouldn't mind really.

But in terms of which is better to contribute to Ash, I would agree on Phantump/Pumpkaboo. Both are very intresting and would be Ash's first Ghost-type (If Haunter doesn't count). I'll admit that I don't like Gourgeist's design, but at least Pumpkaboo's is good.

So, I am basically neutral to all of this, although I do agres on the fact that Phantump/Pumpkaboo would be better for Ash's team. I am neutral to it.

MattySadler

Oh,I doubt Phantump will ever evolve.Not only will it ruin its cuteness and quirkiness,but Trevenant is creepy as hell and really weird.Just look how adorable http://www.deviantart.com/art/Phantump-407941906

And Bulbasaur returning to the main cast and possibly introducing Mega Venusaur would kinda steal the spotlight from Froakie.And the Kalos pokemon deserve to shine,it's their time.

Its despairing cuteness is the main attraction to Phantump so it'd be foolish to spoil it. Yeah I agree, I didn't like Charizard coming back in the Unova series either. They're Ash's "old" Pokemon for a reason. Bring them back for the league or for one-offs, fair enough, but for the day-to-day just showcase new Pokemon and characters.

What do you mean undermine it?? He never showed a problem with evolving, he just didn't want to be forced to evolve, he wanted to evolve on his own time, this was stated multiple times by both Ash and the narrator.

Don't be soft, Bulbasaur clearly showed a problem with evolving in that episode and obviously didn't want to evolve, hence it putting up so much resistance.

Ash to Venusaur and Ivysaur "The reason you are so mad is because it doesn't want to evolve, right?" Vensaur and the Ivysaur all agree. Now I know Ash goes on to say "If Bulbasaur doesn't want to evolve YET I don't think you should have the right to force it", but when Misty asks if Bulbasaur wants the nature manipulating powers of Ivysaur and Venusaur, Bulbasaur turns it's head away, clearly not wanting to. Ash then apologises for getting excited about Bulbasaur evolving without considering whether Bulbasaur wanted to or not, and Bulbasaur looks happy. I know it can be confusing for you as Ash uses words like "yet" and phrases like "when it's ready", but this is just Ash. Bulbasaur obviously doesn't want to and is uncomfortable with the whole idea of it. All the narrator says is "No one knows if OR when Bulbasaur will finally decide to evolve".

I know Pokemon levels aren't explicitly stated in the anime, but Bulbasaur clearly could be a Venusaur by now if it wanted. Its Ash's oldest Pokemon after Pikachu and has been around years. If it was ever going to evolve it would've already happened. To do so now would just be stupid.

I really have a hard time picturing Ash with Gogoat, it just doesn't suit him, imo.

Agreed

Last edited:

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Its despairing cuteness is the main attraction to Phantump so it'd be foolish to spoil it. Yeah I agree, I didn't like Charizard coming back in the Unova series either. They're Ash's "old" Pokemon for a reason. Bring them back for the league or for one-offs, fair enough, but for the day-to-day just showcase new Pokemon and characters.

Don't be soft, Bulbasaur clearly showed a problem with evolving in that episode and obviously didn't want to evolve, hence it putting up so much resistance.

Ash to Venusaur and Ivysaur "The reason you are so mad is because it doesn't want to evolve, right?" Vensaur and the Ivysaur all agree. Now I know Ash goes on to say "If Bulbasaur doesn't want to evolve YET I don't think you should have the right to force it", but when Misty asks if Bulbasaur wants the nature manipulating powers of Ivysaur and Venusaur, Bulbasaur turns it's head away, clearly not wanting to. Ash then apologises for getting excited about Bulbasaur evolving without considering whether Bulbasaur wanted to or not, and Bulbasaur looks happy. I know it can be confusing for you as Ash uses words like "yet" and phrases like "when it's ready", but this is just Ash. Bulbasaur obviously doesn't want to and is uncomfortable with the whole idea of it. All the narrator says is "No one knows if OR when Bulbasaur will finally decide to evolve".

I know Pokemon levels aren't explicitly stated in the anime, but Bulbasaur clearly could be a Venusaur by now if it wanted. Its Ash's oldest Pokemon after Pikachu and has been around years. If it was ever going to evolve it would've already happened. To do so now would just be stupid.

Agreed

When Misty asks that, she is talking about right then and there, not in the future which is why he turns his head.

What do you mean this is just Ash, just Ash's words mean a lot in cases like this.

Um no, it would make sense now more then ever as now would be the perfect time for him to return.

All I'm saying is the writers could of made it VERY clear that Bulbasaur never without a doubt wanted to evolve and they didn't leaving it open to the possibility in the future.

k6666

Pikachu Fan
well i hope next year they game freak release Swampert Mega if they dont make a RS remake
so with that maybe serena can get mudkip :(

It would be kind of redunadnt for Ash to call Oak and ask for Bulbasaur now because he was just at his lab and could have taken him. I'd love to see Bulbasaur again, sure, but Skiddo/Gogoat needs a slot on Ash's team. :p

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
I want Ash with Trevenant, it would be so Amazing. XD I love Gogoat, but I feel it's gotten enough focus even Before XY, so I Think Ash will get a still un-seen Grass Type (in the anime), and that only leaves the two Ghost ones.

MattySadler

When Misty asks that, she is talking about right then and there, not in the future which is why he turns his head.

What do you mean this is just Ash, just Ash's words mean a lot in cases like this.

Um no, it would make sense now more then ever as now would be the perfect time for him to return.

All I'm saying is the writers could of made it VERY clear that Bulbasaur never without a doubt wanted to evolve and they didn't leaving it open to the possibility in the future.

Misty never made her question that specific by asking whether Bulbasaur wanted those powers then and there or in the future, she just asked if Bulbasaur would like those powers, it was a more general question than you're making out. To me it was always a closed case after that, Bulbasaur didn't want to evolve, the narrator said only Bulbasaur knows if or when it wants to evolve and its never been touched on since. I know Pokemon is full of poor writing and a lack of foresight, but I think it'd be especially stupid to evolve Bulbasaur 15 years after it was caught.

I want Ash with Trevenant, it would be so Amazing. XD I love Gogoat, but I feel it's gotten enough focus even Before XY, so I Think Ash will get a still un-seen Grass Type (in the anime), and that only leaves the two Ghost ones.

I'd prefer just Phantump personally, but I'd happily take Trevenant if it meant Ash not getting Skiddo/ Gogoat or Pumpkaboo/ Gourgeist.

pokeaussie37

The Inkay line is a Pokemon made for Team Rocket, please let James evolve it into Malamar!!!!

Fletchling for Talonflame, but Air Cutter and Gust, really? It doesn't learn those moves...

Last edited:
I'd love Ash to have a Trevenant, but trade evolutions seem to always be somewhat difficult to do in the anime (well, I think it could work, but the writers apparently seem to avoid it). It's funny: I prefer Pumpkaboo over Phantump, but Trevenant over Gourgeist. So I personally would be totally happy if Ash got Pumpkaboo, then traded it for a Trevenant haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.