• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters XY Pokémon Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
I'm inclined to think that Sky Battles will be a one-shot thing when and if they're showcased.

Now guess who also needs a grass type??

No one. It's less important for the female lead's team to be elementally balanced because their goal usually doesn't involve taking on Gyms or fighting in Tournaments like the Pokemon League.

All but two of Misty's Pokemon were Water Type.
May had a Normal Type slant.
Dawn had a fairly diverse team, but seemed to favor Normal Pokemon and Ice Moves.
Iris had a Dragon Type slant.

What seems to be more important for the girl is to capture cute or marketable Pokemon and keep them that way for as long as possible. For that reason our girls usually go through an unusual growth spurt not long after leaving the cast to evolve their little babies or catch Pokemon they couldn't while traveling with the group.

I'm not really arguing against Skiddo for Serena. I'm just trying to explain that the girls don't build their teams the same way Ash does. So unless they're a self declared wannabe Master of a particular type they don't really " need " a type.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
I'm inclined to think that Sky Battles will be a one-shot thing when and if they're showcased.

No one. It's less important for the female lead's team to be elementally balanced because their goal usually doesn't involve taking on Gyms or fighting in Tournaments like the Pokemon League.

All but two of Misty's Pokemon were Water Type.
May had a Normal Type slant.
Dawn had a fairly diverse team, but seemed to favor Normal Pokemon and Ice Moves.
Iris had a Dragon Type slant.

What seems to be more important for the girl is to capture cute or marketable Pokemon and keep them that way for as long as possible. For that reason our girls usually go through an unusual growth spurt not long after leaving the cast to evolve their little babies or catch Pokemon they couldn't while traveling with the group.

I'm not really arguing against Skiddo for Serena. I'm just trying to explain that the girls don't build their teams the same way Ash does. So unless they're a self declared wannabe Master of a particular type they don't really " need " a type.
May's Final team (as in the end of her stint on the show) ended up exactly like Ash's past teams, minus an Electric type. Same could be somewhat said for Dawn, except she lacked a Grass type.

Blitz Lucario

Ash
- Pikachu
- Talonflame
- Greninja
- Honedge
- Gogoat
- Tyrunt or Tyrantrum
- Mega-Charizard Y

Serena
- Braxien
- Vivillon
- Pancham
- Meowistic (F)
- Unknown Fairy Type
- Mega-Absol

Clemont/Bonnie
- Bunnelby
- Dedenne
- Quilladin
- Heliolisk

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Its pretty obvious that Charizard will be Ash's mega evolution*. God, that thing will be ridiculously overpowered. If he doesn't win the league with the Mega evolved form of a Pokemon that has taken on legendary pokemon in its non mega evolved state then this will be pure bs.

I don't see how it would be "bs" when Charizard's power level itself has been inconsistent throughout the anime; he went from beating Articuno to losing against a Dusclops for God's sake. I'm tired of the constant Charizard glorification anyway so I'd prefer to see Garchomp as Ash's first mega Pokemon, although that itself sounds unlikely to happen since Gible would have to evolve twice and it would probably be too much work for the writers.

Ilikepiex7

charizard would be league only and if it's used other Oak'ed pokemon would also appear in the league hopefully Muk appears in a battle. Let's get to the who appears at the league to mega evolve or evolve like cyndaquil did in sinnoh stuff until at least 7 badges.

Navin

MALDREAD
I don't see how it would be "bs" when Charizard's power level itself has been inconsistent throughout the anime; he went from beating Articuno to losing against a Dusclops for God's sake. I'm tired of the constant Charizard glorification anyway so I'd prefer to see Garchomp as Ash's first mega Pokemon, although that itself sounds unlikely to happen since Gible would have to evolve twice and it would probably be too much work for the writers.

Charizard losing to Dusclops was more due to Ash being a dimwit and using Seismic Toss on a Ghost-type...and Brandon, being an experienced trainer that he is, punishing him for such an idiotic mistake.

shelldude400

What the bet that the way Fletchinder evolves is that there's a Sky Battle tournament and it evolves in the final round? :3
Considering Staraptor evolved in Pokeringer (and Swellow did too I think...) it'd work the same :3
Also showcases Sky Battles, works out.

1. it was brandon's duclops so its powerful
2. ash used a fighting type move against it
3. at that time duclops was considered a fully evolved pokemon

Akwakwak

I'm hungry

The writers love Charizard though. And I'm not glorifying Charizard I'm stating facts well this isn't real life but you guys know what I mean. It took on Entei, Articuno, Reshiram, Iris' s OP Dragonite. Sure it had some stupid defeats but that was Ash's fault not Charizard's. I'm not even a big Charizard fan anyway, I'm team Sceptile but he didn't get a mega evolution at least not yet.

JD

I really like the idea of Ash getting a Goomy I think Goodra suits him a lot as his first fully evolved pseudo legendary Pokemon it's cute and generally looks like a Pokemon Ash would use. Especially with it's Pokedex entry "This very friendly Dragon-type Pokemon will hug its beloved Trainer, leaving that Trainer covered in sticky slime." With that being said

Ash
Pikachu
Fletchling-Talonflame
Froakie-Greninja
Skiddo
Espurr-Meowstic
Goomy-Goodra

~Magic Thunderbolt~

I really like the idea of Ash getting a Goomy I think Goodra suits him a lot as his first fully evolved pseudo legendary Pokemon it's cute and generally looks like a Pokemon Ash would use. Especially with it's Pokedex entry "This very friendly Dragon-type Pokemon will hug its beloved Trainer, leaving that Trainer covered in sticky slime." With that being said

Ash
Pikachu
Fletchling-Talonflame
Froakie-Greninja
Skiddo
Espurr-Meowstic
Goomy-Goodra

Yeah, Goodra could be Muk 2.0.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
The writers love Charizard though. And I'm not glorifying Charizard I'm stating facts well this isn't real life but you guys know what I mean. It took on Entei, Articuno, Reshiram, Iris' s OP Dragonite. Sure it had some stupid defeats but that was Ash's fault not Charizard's. I'm not even a big Charizard fan anyway, I'm team Sceptile but he didn't get a mega evolution at least not yet.
So the times charizard lost it was ash's fault, but wen it won it didn't have to do with ash?

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Ash
- Pikachu
- Talonflame
- Greninja
- Honedge
- Gogoat
- Tyrunt or Tyrantrum
- Mega-Charizard Y

Serena
- Braxien
- Vivillon
- Pancham
- Meowistic (F)
- Unknown Fairy Type
- Mega-Absol

Clemont/Bonnie
- Bunnelby
- Dedenne
- Quilladin
- Heliolisk

You get a cookie, if I haven't already given you one.

I really hope Clemont gets Amaura now. The more I think about it, the more I want to see this duo of Clemont and a Amaura that loves him for bringing it back to life, if Clemont is the one to revive the fossil and he should be since he's a inventor. What a dynamic that would make. While everyone else is fussing over Ash's team and the overrated Kanto fire lizard, I care more about everyone else. It feels weird being one of the few people on here not to care what Ash gets, as long as he stays away from Pancham. I also wonder how Clemont will get Chespin? Will it be more that Bonnie wants it or does Clemont actually form a bond with Chespin? Maybe a bit of both.

Luthor

A lot of people are predicting Vivilion for Serena and I get why it makes sense, but the question is if she does is there a particular form that would suit her best?

^ The pink one? Meadow Form is what it's apparently called... but yeah, I agree. I'd love to see Serena with a Vivillon, but just not the basic pink one. To tie it in with France, she could have the Elegant Form (purple one), as that's what you get in France apparently (at least in some parts, the other one you can get is indeed the pink Meadow one...), but then again, any other form would be fine as well.

World Turtle

Wasn't Charizard sent out first in the battle with Brandon though? And wasn't he the first to loose-leaving the episode in question on a cliffhanger-for the sake of building up the drama? I wouldn't blame that loss on Ash, but on the writers for needing Charizard to take a fall.

Ash's competence as a Trainer varies depending on what the writers need him to be. If they need him to lose the battle, then he'll loose-the problem is when he looses stupidly (using a Fighting Move on a Ghost-type) vs. going down fighting. Like the battle with Tobias, sure Ash lost but at least he took down the guy's previously invincible Darkrai and Latios with him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.