• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters XY Pokémon Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
But Greninja seems like he will get enough focus already so I don't think he needs more training until way later and even Noibat doesn't need it necessarily cuz he can just evolve quickly. ^^

How can Noibat just evolve quickly? If it evolves into Noivern with only supersonic, that wouldn't be good writing. Noibat needs some decent training and battles in order to evolve.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
How can Noibat just evolve quickly? If it evolves into Noivern with only supersonic, that wouldn't be good writing. Noibat needs some decent training and battles in order to evolve.

Offscreen training, I don't like it doesn't mean that it was bad writing. Also some Pokémon have previously evolved fast, sewadle comes to my mind.

Last edited:

jrizza88

Meteorite
Or Noibat evolves in its first battle like Krabby, Sewaddle, and Roggenrola. Knowing that Ash has had three other pokemon that have evolved in their first battle, it won't surprise me if there was something that happens that makes Noibat evolve. Not the ideal situation but I honestly would not be surprised.

But I'm okay with it as long as Noivern gives us good battles once it evolves. That's what I'm looking forward to is Noivern's potential.

Offscreen training, I don't like it doesn't mean that it was bad writing. Also some Pokémon have previously evolved fast, sewadle comes to my mind.

I think the problem with these examples is that Noibat was a baby when caught versus these other pokemon could have been out and fighting for much longer than Noibat. Just saying.

pokemon fan 132

It doesn't matter who has a better reason for coming back, the bottom line is that the previous girl gets a cameo and that would be Iris. There are many reasons that the writers could have for Misty coming back but now it's Iris's turn.

Thats beside the point because i never said how Iris shouldn't return. I only pointed out how she doesn't have to be only one coming back in Kalos with there existing opportunities and ways for other older main characters to benefit and get updated as well.

Just because writers practice is to give one follow up cameo for previous main character afterwards forgetting about him/her like it never existed. Ignoring fact of having unfinished dreams and story worth to expand upon, forgetting about their friendship with Ash , impact they left on anime etc, etc.
Doesn't mean how thats a good practice.

To be honest this whole problem wouldn't have existed in first place if pokemon staff didn't went overboard with cast changes leaving us with bunch of forgotten past protagonists.

Last edited:

Master Quest

Let's do it
I think the problem with these examples is that Noibat was a baby when caught versus these other pokemon could have been out and fighting for much longer than Noibat. Just saying.

I don't know if noibat evolving quickly despite of being introduced as a baby will be bad writing or not but i am good as long as Noivern gets proper development after evolving and does well.I don't think it will make much of a difference after noivern evolves that whether he as a Noibat got proper development or not.

Last edited:

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Don't forget that Ash's Snorunt was captured AG episode 108 and evolved by episode 123. Granted, he was used vs Juan and Ash spent several episodes teaching him Ice Beam, but it wasn't a whole lot of focus either. Same could happen with Noibaby.

That's fifteen episodes though, in which Snorunt got to be used in a Gym Battle and some one-on-one training, during an arc which wasn't even meant to showcase Ash and his pokémon.

Compare that to Noibat, TWENTY-SEVEN episodes, in which it hatched and had one development episode (which it shared with Fletchinder and Hawlucha).

Yes, it searched and used Supersonic once as well in perhaps two other episodes? It's done nothing and is a lost cause if you're invested. It's becoming a fighting machine shortly just for the sake of it, but I'm not invested in it like I was in Gliscor.

Whether I like it or not is irrelevant. It still is bad writing. The point is, when you write a character, said character will have a backstory and will act according to said backstory (which brings along morals and goals most likely). An audience will assume a farmer acts like a farmer unless they see a change in character (aka development). This can NOT be done offscreen.

When you write a story about a baby, that's simply not present yet. What you than need to do is create that. From scratch and build up the character to show the audience where it is going in terms of development. Similar to the farmer-example, the audience can't accept a baby suddenly not acting like a baby unless they've seen it change at some point, or get the development in which it grew leaps and bounds. Unless the writer is doing a large time-skip.. which the pokémon animé isn't doing. They're just writing Noibat very badly.

I don't know if noibat evolving quickly despite of being introduced as a baby will be bad writing or not but i am good as long as Noivern gets proper development after evolving and does well.I don't think it will make much of a difference after noivern evolves that whether he as a Noibat got proper development or not.

It's bad. You don't introduce a baby and expect the audience to not want to witness some of the growing stages onscreen and just skip that stage by going through evolution and reaching the "priming"-stage. That's the entire point of it starting from scratch. We've had one episode devoted to this. ONE. That's not enough.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Despite the lack of development, I still like Ash to have a fully evolved Dragon type after the release of Goodra and maybe it has some screen time as a Noivern. Once Greninja, Noivern and Sylveon are done then we can look at potential new evolutions and captures.

LizardonX

Banned
Thats beside the point because i never said how Iris shouldn't return. I only pointed out how she doesn't have to be only one coming back in Kalos with there existing opportunities and ways for other older main characters to benefit and get updated as well.

Just because writers practice is to give one follow up cameo for previous main character afterwards forgetting about him/her like it never existed. Ignoring fact of having unfinished dreams and story worth to expand upon, forgetting about their friendship with Ash , impact they left on anime etc, etc.
Doesn't mean how thats a good practice.

To be honest this whole problem wouldn't have existed in first place if pokemon staff didn't went overboard with cast changes leaving us with bunch of forgotten past protagonists.

You realize second in line would be May to promote ORAS, not misty right?

keepitsimple

site of lies
Off screen training is a terrible argument regardless because nobody knows what happens off screen so who can assume Noibat was training?

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Off screen training is a terrible argument regardless because nobody knows what happens off screen so who can assume Noibat was training?

Unless proven otherwise we'll have to run off this assumption because we have nothing to go on. We'll just have to assume he/she trained to some degree regardless of how bull**** it comes off as.

Infernape55

Some Sketchy Guy
That's fifteen episodes though, in which Snorunt got to be used in a Gym Battle and some one-on-one training, during an arc which wasn't even meant to showcase Ash and his pokémon.

Compare that to Noibat, TWENTY-SEVEN episodes, in which it hatched and had one development episode (which it shared with Fletchinder and Hawlucha).

Yes, it searched and used Supersonic once as well in perhaps two other episodes? It's done nothing and is a lost cause if you're invested. It's becoming a fighting machine shortly just for the sake of it, but I'm not invested in it like I was in Gliscor.

Whether I like it or not is irrelevant. It still is bad writing. The point is, when you write a character, said character will have a backstory and will act according to said backstory (which brings along morals and goals most likely). An audience will assume a farmer acts like a farmer unless they see a change in character (aka development). This can NOT be done offscreen.

When you write a story about a baby, that's simply not present yet. What you than need to do is create that. From scratch and build up the character to show the audience where it is going in terms of development. Similar to the farmer-example, the audience can't accept a baby suddenly not acting like a baby unless they've seen it change at some point, or get the development in which it grew leaps and bounds. Unless the writer is doing a large time-skip.. which the pokémon animé isn't doing. They're just writing Noibat very badly.

It's bad. You don't introduce a baby and expect the audience to not want to witness some of the growing stages onscreen and just skip that stage by going through evolution and reaching the "priming"-stage. That's the entire point of it starting from scratch. We've had one episode devoted to this. ONE. That's not enough.

Locormus, with all due respect, I would really like to point out that the anime has demonstrated time and time again that evolving does NOT EQUAL maturity. There was that elderly Treecko in Hoenn, Ash's Bulbasaur displaying wisdom despite not evolving. Then we have Dawn's Swinub being immature as a Mamoswine, Ash's Donphan acting like a baby despite evolving, Gliscor holding onto its Gligar mannerisms post-evolution. Again, in the anime verse, evolution does not equal maturity.

If anything, the anime seems to depict evolution as an optional power boost (which, well, it is in the games too). Ash's Charizard, the golden boy of most threads, forced itself to evolve prematurely to fight Aerodactyl on even terms. Dawn's Mamoswine evolved after it got Ancient Power. But it was likely too immature to handle the power boost, so it became cocky and didn't listen. In these cases, we get the vibe that sudden evolution is like giving a little kid superpowers that they can't handle yet. I think it's just a mistake on the part of the viewers to associate evolving with maturity, since there have been plenty of arguments on these boards about why Ash's "cute" Pokemon need to evolve in order to be relevant.

You reference writing stuff a lot, and I love writing too. And sure, character development is incredibly important, no one will deny that. But another factor in world building is internal consistency. Yes, Noibat may evolve prematurely, but it has just as much right to evolve as any of the previous examples. Evolution here is a defensive tool, a weapon, an upgrade, and NOT a right of passage. I'm sure that once Noibat is a Noivern we'll get little clues that it still has to grow into its power.

Little Hero

Locormus, with all due respect, I would really like to point out that the anime has demonstrated time and time again that evolving does NOT EQUAL maturity. There was that elderly Treecko in Hoenn, Ash's Bulbasaur displaying wisdom despite not evolving. Then we have Dawn's Swinub being immature as a Mamoswine, Ash's Donphan acting like a baby despite evolving, Gliscor holding onto its Gligar mannerisms post-evolution. Again, in the anime verse, evolution does not equal maturity.

If anything, the anime seems to depict evolution as an optional power boost (which, well, it is in the games too). Ash's Charizard, the golden boy of most threads, forced itself to evolve prematurely to fight Aerodactyl on even terms. Dawn's Mamoswine evolved after it got Ancient Power. But it was likely too immature to handle the power boost, so it became cocky and didn't listen. In these cases, we get the vibe that sudden evolution is like giving a little kid superpowers that they can't handle yet. I think it's just a mistake on the part of the viewers to associate evolving with maturity, since there have been plenty of arguments on these boards about why Ash's "cute" Pokemon need to evolve in order to be relevant.

You reference writing stuff a lot, and I love writing too. And sure, character development is incredibly important, no one will deny that. But another factor in world building is internal consistency. Yes, Noibat may evolve prematurely, but it has just as much right to evolve as any of the previous examples. Evolution here is a defensive tool, a weapon, an upgrade, and NOT a right of passage. I'm sure that once Noibat is a Noivern we'll get little clues that it still has to grow into its power.

It still seems very illogical though...if we go by your example that evolution is a defensive tool, then most Pokemon would evolve when in danger. All the time.

Still, evolving equaling maturity doesn't really make sense, as you pointed out, but in no way are the Pokemon childish when they evolve; most of those were just their normal attitudes while the others believed they were too strong for their trainers to handle them and disobeyed them.

I guess the thing here is that they are giving Noibat a sort of 'free pass' to an evolution and not show their work for it (you know like in that math test, how you get the answer...its right, so how does one get it? for example).

I could see a similar problem with Goomy, but at least it fought once in a while, but it suffered because they needed Goodra to return to the swamp as soon as possible because reasons.

If the evolution seems forced its going to look bad but since we don't know what would happen between Point A to Point B, we'll have wait and see.

dman_dustin

It still seems very illogical though...if we go by your example that evolution is a defensive tool, then most Pokemon would evolve when in danger. All the time.

Except you're ignoring one thing.

The Pokemon themselves choose to evolve (although of course with the writers/executive producers approval), even when a Pokemon is ready for evolution they can resist evolving.

So no, it doesn't have to be an all or nothing example, this easily could just be if it fits the proper conditions.

In a lot evolutions a Pokemon evolved as a defense, that doesn't mean most or all Pokemon have to evolve that way, but it is an example of how a Pokemon could evolve.

Some Pokemon just evolve because they just can, and others evolve if very specific conditions are meant.

Whether I like it or not, Noibat could easily evolve in defense of itself or defending others without needing to be a mature Pokemon. It's bad writing since there is NO development for said Pokemon, but it is a possibility as the anime has dictated it as a possibility.

Little Hero

Even if its a decision made by the Pokemon, I don't think its something they decide on the fly.

An evolution to protect something because they don't think they can protect in their current forms is one thing, doing it for the heck of it is just...odd and forced (like with Piplup and Bulbasaur, they were ready to evolve because of 'reasons'/don't remember the explanation they gave or some sort of ritual thing in the case of Bulbasaur).

I always assumed training had to be involved in some way and the anime showed this (sometimes) but at the same time it showed the consequences of evolving and gaining too much power (in some cases).

Do you think Noibat is ready to evolve, even if it was to protect someone and lacking a bit of experience?

KKS-Lapras

Noibat could easily evolve in defense of itself or defending others without needing to be a mature Pokemon. It's bad writing since there is NO development for said Pokemon, but it is a possibility as the anime has dictated it as a possibility.

It's not bad writing. The Anime has shown there are numerous factors that can lead to evolution. Development, in the form many of you fixate on, is only one factor. The by the books, game method, battling to gain experience is not how the Anime works. Some Pokemon get tons of development and battle time and never evolve, some gain adequate amounts of both and do evolve, and then others get very little of either and evolve do to some situation of need or duress. No one path is bad writing. It's just not the writing some of you want. This difference, that what you want, and then something else happening not being bad writing, needs to be acknowledged by far too many of you.

It also needs to be stressed that once Frogadier evolves, all we have left is the Ash-Greninja situation, Eevee to Sylveon, and then Noibat to Noivern. It's entirely possible the focus will shift a bit to Noibat/Noivern after Frogadier evolves.

dman_dustin

Even if its a decision made by the Pokemon, I don't think its something they decide on the fly.
I've never seen a Pokemon just randomly deciding to evolve (if it evolves naturally). The closest we got is probably Chimchar evolving into Monferno, though that was probably the closest straight up adaptation of the game evolution we are going to get. Grotle into Torterra might be another similar one.

But no of course, never have I seen Ash or anyone sending out their fresh Pokemon and then deciding to evolve just because they wanted to.

An evolution to protect something because they don't think they can protect in their current forms is one thing, doing it for the heck of it is just...odd and forced
I don't expect it to be for the heck of it, when I said that they choose to do it, I mean under extreme cases of distress, either they can evolve or they just choose not to evolve.

With Noibat I expect it to evolve out of distress whether because Ash is in danger or Hawlucha or even Talonflame, maybe even Pikachu or Greninja or some other character. Or maybe it has to evolve to stay alive because its being torn to shreds during the only battle its ever in.

I definitely do not expect Ash to call out Noibat and then it suddenly randomly evolves. But in regards to evolution as a "defensive tool" it is decided by the Pokemon themselves.

I always assumed training had to be involved in some way and the anime showed this (sometimes) but at the same time it showed the consequences of evolving and gaining too much power (in some cases).
As many users have stated, even though I disagree it, Ash could be training Noibat offscreen.

It's bad and bull but if that's the case we don't know. Noibat has just been on Ash's team longer than Eevee has with Serena, it's been with Ash for nearly 30 episodes, by straight up episode count based on past examples, Noibat could easily evolve.

Do you think Noibat is ready to evolve, even if it was to protect someone and lacking a bit of experience?
Ready to evolve from the perspective of a Pokemon fan who watches Pokemon or as it pertains personally to Noibat?

From the perspective of someone who watches the anime? No I do not think Noibat is ready to evolve, because it hasn't DONE anything. If it was used like Eevee was used, being in some battles, training against another Pokemon or multiple Pokemon then I would feel as if it WAS ready.

As for the personal perspective of Noibat in of itself, it very well might be ready to evolve. I don't know what's considered the appropriate time for a Pokemon to hatch and its evolution in regards to anime logic. A hatched caterpie and other "Worm" like Pokemon even if they hatch, they probably evolve really soon after being hatched. You could potentially shove a stone on a stone evolution Pokemon right after they hatch and evolve it. Hello Level 1 Flareon.

I know Noibat evolves at level 48 and that's a huge gap, I know, Froakie is a Pokemon that in game should evolve a lot sooner. It's taken at least about 100 episodes for Froakie to fully evolve into Greninja. Strange when you consider that Froakie fully evolves into Greninja at level 36.

So yes a 12 level difference and a baby Noibat evolving within 30 episodes is extremely bizarre logic wise in comparison. But it has been on the team for almost 30 episodes. Might evolve in its 27th, 28th, 29th, 30th episode of being on Ash's team but for all we know 30 episodes of content could be a very long distance, maybe a Pokemon just needs to get used to its body before deciding to evolve, but doesn't evolve until it feels like its ready.

Noibat evolving to defend itself or others, could make sense because its too weak to do anything as it is. We have seen a Pokemon that looked deep within themselves have triggered evolution because of this.

So as much as I hate it, dislike the disrespectful treatment of Noibat, in comparison to Eevee, they could easily evolve it, and it would make sense.

It's not bad writing. The Anime has shown there are numerous factors that can lead to evolution. Development, in the form many of you fixate on, is only one factor. The by the books, game method, battling to gain experience is not how the Anime works. Some Pokemon get tons of development and battle time and never evolve, some gain adequate amounts of both and do evolve, and then others get very little of either and evolve do to some situation of need or duress. No one path is bad writing. It's just not the writing some of you want. This difference, that what you want, and then something else happening not being bad writing, needs to be acknowledged by far too many of you.

It also needs to be stressed that once Frogadier evolves, all we have left is the Ash-Greninja situation, Eevee to Sylveon, and then Noibat to Noivern. It's entirely possible the focus will shift a bit to Noibat/Noivern after Frogadier evolves.

Nope sorry, the one thing you don't get is what's considered bad writing is entirely subjective.

If you're perfectly happy with what's going on, that's entirely your opinion.

KKS-Lapras

I've never seen a Pokemon just randomly deciding to evolve (if it evolves naturally). The closest we got is probably Chimchar evolving into Monferno, though that was probably the closest straight up adaptation of the game evolution we are going to get. Grotle into Torterra might be another similar one.

But no of course, never have I seen Ash or anyone sending out their fresh Pokemon and then deciding to evolve just because they wanted to.

I don't expect it to be for the heck of it, when I said that they choose to do it, I mean under extreme cases of distress, either they can evolve or they just choose not to evolve.

With Noibat I expect it to evolve out of distress whether because Ash is in danger or Hawlucha or even Talonflame, maybe even Pikachu or Greninja or some other character. Or maybe it has to evolve to stay alive because its being torn to shreds during the only battle its ever in.

I definitely do not expect Ash to call out Noibat and then it suddenly randomly evolves. But in regards to evolution as a "defensive tool" it is decided by the Pokemon themselves.

As many users have stated, even though I disagree it, Ash could be training Noibat offscreen.

It's bad and bull but if that's the case we don't know. Noibat has just been on Ash's team longer than Eevee has with Serena, it's been with Ash for nearly 30 episodes, by straight up episode count based on past examples, Noibat could easily evolve.

Ready to evolve from the perspective of a Pokemon fan who watches Pokemon or as it pertains personally to Noibat?

From the perspective of someone who watches the anime? No I do not think Noibat is ready to evolve, because it hasn't DONE anything. If it was used like Eevee was used, being in some battles, training against another Pokemon or multiple Pokemon then I would feel as if it WAS ready.

As for the personal perspective of Noibat in of itself, it very well might be ready to evolve. I don't know what's considered the appropriate time for a Pokemon to hatch and its evolution in regards to anime logic. A hatched caterpie and other "Worm" like Pokemon even if they hatch, they probably evolve really soon after being hatched. You could potentially shove a stone on a stone evolution Pokemon right after they hatch and evolve it. Hello Level 1 Flareon.

I know Noibat evolves at level 48 and that's a huge gap, I know, Froakie is a Pokemon that in game should evolve a lot sooner. It's taken at least about 100 episodes for Froakie to fully evolve into Greninja. Strange when you consider that Froakie fully evolves into Greninja at level 36.

So yes a 12 level difference and a baby Noibat evolving within 30 episodes is extremely bizarre logic wise in comparison. But it has been on the team for almost 30 episodes. Might evolve in its 27th, 28th, 29th, 30th episode of being on Ash's team but for all we know 30 episodes of content could be a very long distance, maybe a Pokemon just needs to get used to its body before deciding to evolve, but doesn't evolve until it feels like its ready.

Noibat evolving to defend itself or others, could make sense because its too weak to do anything as it is. We have seen a Pokemon that looked deep within themselves have triggered evolution because of this.

So as much as I hate it, dislike the disrespectful treatment of Noibat, in comparison to Eevee, they could easily evolve it, and it would make sense.

Nope sorry, the one thing you don't get is what's considered bad writing is entirely subjective.

If you're perfectly happy with what's going on, that's entirely your opinion.

No, if the things that have been going on on this show as a matter of routine for years are considered "bad writing" and you're still watching, complaining, critiquing, and expecting drastic change after all this time, then that says more about you then it does the quality of the writing. There are things that can be critiqued, and then there's arguing against a world that has been established for many years now. It operates under one set of rules, and you want it to change that set of rules to fit your view on how that world should operate. It's not going to happen.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Even with the huge change of writers I should make a point that Pokémon have previously evolved out of nowhere for rule of funny, we have magikarp into gyarados in the OS and the octillery episode in jotho to fuel conflict.

There must be some mild examples I could be forgetting about along the road, so yep we have precedent both on main cast, CotD and incidental... So how is it out of question to have a sudden evolution?

Again, not liking the outcome of an arc, or an arc being seemingly skipped doesn't equal bad writing, it's just the disparity of a vocal minority within the fanbase vs the show actual expectations.

dman_dustin

No, if the things that have been going on on this show as a matter of routine for years are considered "bad writing" and you're still watching, complaining, critiquing, and expecting drastic change after all this time, then that says more about you then it does the quality of the writing. There are things that can be critiqued, and then there's arguing against a world that has been established for many years now. It operates under one set of rules, and you want it to change that set of rules to fit your view on how that world should operate. It's not going to happen.

Umm.

I'm sorry give me ONE example of ANY Pokemon that hatched, and didn't do anything for nearly 30 episodes and evolved on said 30th episode on the team.

You can't. Because there is no example.

Every single Pokemon that has hatched except Noibat has received more than enough focus to justify evolution.

The evolution examples that exist only apply to a normal Noibat, not a hatched Pokemon. That's why it is BAD writing.

I could understand why Phanpy evolved, Dawn's Cyndaquil evolved, Brock's Happiny evolving. And if Ash's Scraggy evolved it would've made sense because it had been on the team for longer than 30 episodes and had PLENTY of focus episodes. In fact remaining unevolved may have hurt Scraggy since it did end up still being the weakest member of Ash's team.

Nothing can apply to baby Noibat perfectly because Noibat is a different case altogether. It's like Ash capturing Gible for the first time. There are no rules to how Ash trains a dragon type, so here's Gible.

Half-assed approach:
1. Pokemon learn moves off screen. Here's Noibat, it developed off screen.

2. Pokemon have evolved REALLY quickly with no training, they were normal Pokemon not baby Pokemon, but here's a half justification for Noibat.

3. Some Pokemon have hatched strong, Phanpy and Cyndaquil, but then there are those Scraggy examples. But let's only give Noibat supersonic (a move I wouldn't have given it, screech made more sense honestly) so its like Scraggy but also its strong just because. Ready for evolution.

All hatched Pokemon received focus on screen before they potentially evolved, while some didn't evolve at all.

The Pokemon that didn't have any focus before they evolved, were normal Pokemon and could easily seen as being close to evolution when they were caught.

The best example I can think of is Gligar, who could've easily been seen as immature, but it did receive onscreen focus for a few episodes, and was heavily focused on its evolution episode. And had a different evolution mechanic than Noibat. Gligar could easily evolve like a stone evolution because that's how the anime treated the specific item specific time of day evolution that Gligar's evolution was.

BUT at least it did DO something.

Noibat hasn't DONE anything at all for most of the time its been on Ash's team.

So yes it is bad writing. And just because this is an example for future examples, doesn't mean they aren't bad writing either. If it starts as bad writing throwing many similar examples after the fact doesn't lessen how bad it is to begin with.

Being an established plot device does not mean it isn't bad writing. I don't know of anyone who would ordinarily be so involved in a story, and a plot device was created very early, and established couldn't possibly be left with a bad taste when it actually happens.

For example, let's say that there's prophesy that this person in the future will become the greatest hero. Established very early. But then you have this character do absolutely nothing to grow as a character, and then suddenly it becomes this powerful entity that defeats the great big bad villain.

That little paragraph can easily be viewed as bad writing even though it makes sense. The character was prophesied to be a powerful entity that could defeat the great evil.

The problem is that the power SUDDENLY fell into the character's lap.

I've been taught if you are going to write a story that focuses on a character and that character is powerful. YOU NEVER EVER, just let it fall into that character's lap.

Story writing 101. Your character has to have flaws, your character has to grow, and develop, has to "EARN" it's great power, has to show that its worthy of that power, that it has earned it, in order to classify it as a good story, that either people like or dislike.

Noibat falls under that type of category. It has been established basically it will evolve, and become a fairly strong Pokemon. But it doesn't grow, it doesn't develop, and this power of evolution falls into its lap.

Any other story that's not Pokemon and you handed this assignment into your English Teacher or Creative Writing class, you would fail the assignment for the reasons I mentioned.

Being Pokemon and being for children doesn't make it any better, since there are plenty of examples of Pokemon getting focus, developing getting stronger, and their power DOESN'T just fall into their lap. So unfortunately you can cop out and say its just a children's show as a excuse for not properly developing a character.

Lucille

It might be bad writing but watch other shows aimed at the same audience and see if the writing there is any better. I'm sure kids won't mind Noibat evolving, why would they? Teenagers and adults tend to overthink things and if you're doing that in a show like Pokemon, you'll likely just get a headache. Anyway I don't see why Noibat potentially being trained off screen is bad writing, it's not like they show what all characters are doing 24/7, the story implies events carry on even when the episode is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.