• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters XY Pokémon Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akashin

I doubt it. People said something similar about last year's film regarding Goodra as well, and we all know how that turned out. ^^

...What? Last year there was no significant opportunity for Goodra to return, so what does that have to do with anything?

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
If Goodra returns then I like to see it with the moves Outrage, Sludge Bomb, Flamethrower and Aqua tail. Noivern can have Steel Wing, Dragon Pulse, Hurricane and Boomburst. Talonflame can have Brave Bird, Flame Charge, Solar Beam and Razor Wind. Hawlucha can have X-Scissor, Flying Press, Bounce and High Jump Kick. Greninja can have Water Shruiken, Night Slash, Aerial Ace and Dig.

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
If Goodra returns then I like to see it with the moves Outrage, Sludge Bomb, Flamethrower and Aqua tail. Noivern can have Steel Wing, Dragon Pulse, Hurricane and Boomburst. Talonflame can have Brave Bird, Flame Charge, Solar Beam and Razor Wind. Hawlucha can have X-Scissor, Flying Press, Bounce and High Jump Kick. Greninja can have Water Shruiken, Night Slash, Aerial Ace and Dig.

That seems like some pretty radical changes for most of the team, I doubt any of them will get more than one new move, if that. Noivern and Goodra could maybe get two. I'll predict:

Pikachu - Thunderbolt, Quick Attack, Iron Tail, Electro Ball
Greninja - Double Team, Aerial Ace, Water Shuriken, Night Slash/Cut
Talonflame - Steel Wing, Flame Charge, Brave Bird, Razor Wind/Solar Beam
Hawlucha - High Jump Kick, Flying Press, X-Scissor, Focus Blast/Stone Edge/Sky Drop/Karate Chop
Noivern - Acrobatics, Boomburst, Dragon Claw, Supersonic/Flamethrower
Goodra - Rain Dance, Dragon Pulse, Ice Beam, Aqua Tail/Bide

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
Torterra has an equal win percentage as Sceptile. It always did great as a Turtwig/Grotle and considering it was at an extreme disadvantage in every one of its battles after evolving, I think it can be excused. Of course, it still deserves to get a big win sometime soon to make up for all those losses. But I digress.

Anyways, to all of this stuff about Goodra returning, can't we basically count it out of joining his team before the movie? We've seen a lot of shots of his present team of five, not just in posters and such, but in clips and previews. So though I'm sure by this point that Goodra will return for the League, I doubt it will actually rejoin Ash's traveling team, at least not now.

We could be dealing with the another case of the upcoming episodes not syncing with the movie like the last couple movies that might explain Goodra or any new Pokemon absents in the film.

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
We could be dealing with the another case of the upcoming episodes not syncing with the movie like the last couple movies that might explain Goodra or any new Pokemon absents in the film.

It's certainly possible, but I don't think it seems likely. This isn't like with Fletchinder, where it was just a week late compared to the movie. Goodra's episode is set to air over a month before the movie comes out. That would be a pretty significant lapse in syncing.

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
It's certainly possible, but I don't think it seems likely. This isn't like with Fletchinder, where it was just a week late compared to the movie. Goodra's episode is set to air over a month before the movie comes out. That would be a pretty significant lapse in syncing.

I Agree, I'm just throwing theories right now because I can't think of a good reason why they would prolong Goodra's return and not have it just come back in the Carbink episode.

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
I Agree, I'm just throwing theories right now because I can't think of a good reason why they would prolong Goodra's return and not have it just come back in the Carbink episode.

That's fair. I can understand them using it as just a basic reminder that "Hey, Ash remembers Goodra, so when the League comes around, we know he can get called in", but there's really no reason I can think of not to just have him bring him back now, unless he just wants Goodra to stay at the marsh with his friends until the League starts.

Phillip12

Philuxio
So Goodra is showing up again!! I love this Pokemon, despite if he fulfills 6th slot, it won't replace a grass type capture that's missin', but XY is a generation where the 5 powerhouse Ash has by now are very captivating, even in their final forms. I really loved every one of the 5 captures , their evolutions, and a team full evolved is real good, despite I wanted Skiddo to be the unevolved one.
I just hope a 6x6 with this kalos team agains Alan in the league, or at last against Sawyer, sinse he's stronger right now, but I don't wanna my darlings Howlucha and Noivern to lose against this kid.
And I hope Ash makes Noivern knowing Goodra, after all they are dragon colleagues, and also Goodra know that Greninja and Talonflame evolved, despite they had any relation. In the truth Goomy never interacted with Ash's other Pokemon besides Pikachu.
I'm bored with XY because of grass type missin', but knowing Goodra is appearing is such booby prize.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.

Dude... Talk about brutal attack changes.

If anything Goodra should keep rain dance and dpulse, bide could go away for a good water move or even rest if you want to get kinky, power whip is also an interesting tool in Goodra arsenal, Goodra also learns sludge wave wich has been criminaly under represented in the Anime.

Talonflame has steel wing brave bird and flame charge, obviously the two turn moves are a big no, razor wind is mediocre and solarbeam coming out of a beak is plain disruptive for the suspension of disbelief animation wise.

Noivern has acrobatics and boom burst, I could see him learning flamethrower and a dragon move but hurricane could be a stretch unless they keep both acrobatics and hurricane at the same time, let's face it, the animation in acrobatics was really well done and I doubt the animators would ditch it, heck Noivern also learns solar beam psychic and shadowball, we could see those on him as his appendages make the animation easier.

Hawlucha shouldn't get bounce if God bird aka sky attack is available in his skillset, seriously that's the most show off name and attack in hawlucha arsenal at this point.

Greninja won't get dig, they are really pushing double team and there is no way the animators would take that away, night slash replacing cut would be great though.

thelord3

I don't think Goodra is coming back in that episode. They might show that Ash didn't really release it or that Ash tells it about the league and asks it to come and help...... The problem is, if I am not mistaken, this episode is airing before the movie's release date..... So if Goodra were to rejoin the team, why wasn't shown in the movie preview? I think they might give it the Charizard or gliscor treatment and have it only rejoin at the league......

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I don't think Goodra is coming back in that episode. They might show that Ash didn't really release it or that Ash tells it about the league and asks it to come and help...... The problem is, if I am not mistaken, this episode is airing before the movie's release date..... So if Goodra were to rejoin the team, why wasn't shown in the movie preview? I think they might give it the Charizard or gliscor treatment and have it only rejoin at the league......

The events of the movie maybe set before the episode for all we know. Also they can always edit the movie preview or whatever to contain Goodra or 6th capture. However, it is possible that Ash won't get Goodra back or capture a new pokemon until after the movie is aired.

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
Dude... Talk about brutal attack changes.

If anything Goodra should keep rain dance and dpulse, bide could go away for a good water move or even rest if you want to get kinky, power whip is also an interesting tool in Goodra arsenal, Goodra also learns sludge wave wich has been criminaly under represented in the Anime.

Talonflame has steel wing brave bird and flame charge, obviously the two turn moves are a big no, razor wind is mediocre and solarbeam coming out of a beak is plain disruptive for the suspension of disbelief animation wise.

Noivern has acrobatics and boom burst, I could see him learning flamethrower and a dragon move but hurricane could be a stretch unless they keep both acrobatics and hurricane at the same time, let's face it, the animation in acrobatics was really well done and I doubt the animators would ditch it, heck Noivern also learns solar beam psychic and shadowball, we could see those on him as his appendages make the animation easier.

Hawlucha shouldn't get bounce if God bird aka sky attack is available in his skillset, seriously that's the most show off name and attack in hawlucha arsenal at this point.

Greninja won't get dig, they are really pushing double team and there is no way the animators would take that away, night slash replacing cut would be great though.

I'm still not sure what to think about Goodra with Bide. It was pretty iconic with it before, but it's such a situational move, and they've shown in the past that they don't like characters relying on such a gimmicky move like that for every battle (ala Ash's Snivy with Attract and Dawn's Piplup with Bide). So hopefully Bide will get replaced with something like Aqua Tail (a physical move that's boosted by Rain Dance), or at least Muddy Water. Power Whip or Sludge Wave would be cool too.

As for Talonflame, I won't be surprised if it keeps Razor Wind. I mean, it wasn't really that clunky with Fletchling or Fletchinder, so I think it would be fine. I do kind of hope it gets something cooler, though.

I think Noivern was still shown to have Supersonic? I might be wrong on this, but for some reason, I thought it was shown using Supersonic and Boomburst separately, rather than being an upgrade like Tackle to Acrobatics. If that is the case, I really don't think we'll see it get more than just a Dragon move, hopefully Dragon Claw or maybe Draco Meteor. But I could maybe see it getting Flamethrower, Hurricane, Dark Pulse, something like that in place of Supersonic.

Sky Attack would be cool for Hawlucha, but I'm thinking it might be too similar to Flying Press, which I highly doubt they'll drop. I'm honestly alright with its current moveset, it may have three Fighting moves but at least each is functionally different. I do hope they give it something to replace Karate Chop, though. Focus Blast or Stone Edge could give it range, as pretty much every Pokemon Ash has ever had has had both ranged and close-quarter moves. Alternatively, Sky Drop would fit its wrestler theme, but it might be a bit gimmicky.

And yup, pretty much exactly agreed with Greninja. I hope it gets Night Slash, but I won't be surprised if it just keeps Cut.

The events of the movie maybe set before the episode for all we know. Also they can always edit the movie preview or whatever to contain Goodra or 6th capture. However, it is possible that Ash won't get Goodra back or capture a new pokemon until after the movie is aired.

It could be like that, but it certainly wouldn't be following any prior precedent. A month difference between this and the movie is a big gap. We knew about Ash-Greninja and Noivern for months before they ever actually happened, it would be kind of weird for them to try to hide Goodra's return; that's the kind of thing they'd normally hype up. Still, I'll keep hoping for Goodra's return or a sixth capture to happen before then.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
...What? Last year there was no significant opportunity for Goodra to return, so what does that have to do with anything?

I'm referring to how some fans were convinced that the Hoopa movie trailers/bios/posters/Pikachu short last year were purposely hiding Goodra during the period right before he was confirmed to leave and how at the time they thought that that stuff would eventually get updated to include him. With that in mind, I have a hard time believing that Goodra will be in this year's film or that he's being hidden, which kickachu seemed to be implying. ^^;

Last edited:

JudySpell

Banned
I don't think Goodra is coming back in that episode. They might show that Ash didn't really release it or that Ash tells it about the league and asks it to come and help......

At most I do think we'll get foreshadowing or may be even confirmation in that episode regarding Ash using Goodra at the League.

Vincentium

Beyond Evolution
I'm quite sure that I am not the only one who thinks about this, but since this whole Ash-Greninja form is looking like a step-wise process into reaching some sort of optimum form, wouldn't it be possible that it is actually a Mega Evolution in the earlier stages for it. Here's what I think that the writers could do to basically not veer away from their words that Ash-Greninja is not a Mega Evolution, but also being able to make it one eventually.

1.) Claim that Ash-Greninja is anime-exclusive and not a Mega Evolution. DONE!
2.) Put in a non-perfected forme with the water veil on. DONE!
3.) Make the form lead up to the a more powerful forme with the Water Shuriken on its back. Partially done.
4.) Finally take control of the Water Shuriken Ash-Greninja form.
5.) Reach beyond the limits of evolution because of the bond between Pokemon and trainer, materialize the Mega Stone, and finally adding a few more changes to the appearance of Ash-Greninja and formally announcing it as a Mega Evolution.

The only thing that is stopping this is if the writers are really set on stopping Ash at getting a Mega Evolution for lots of reasons. But hey, since the hype train is on, might as well get into it and share my personal speculations and thoughts about it.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I'm quite sure that I am not the only one who thinks about this, but since this whole Ash-Greninja form is looking like a step-wise process into reaching some sort of optimum form, wouldn't it be possible that it is actually a Mega Evolution in the earlier stages for it. Here's what I think that the writers could do to basically not veer away from their words that Ash-Greninja is not a Mega Evolution, but also being able to make it one eventually.

1.) Claim that Ash-Greninja is anime-exclusive and not a Mega Evolution. DONE!
2.) Put in a non-perfected forme with the water veil on. DONE!
3.) Make the form lead up to the a more powerful forme with the Water Shuriken on its back. Partially done.
4.) Finally take control of the Water Shuriken Ash-Greninja form.
5.) Reach beyond the limits of evolution because of the bond between Pokemon and trainer, materialize the Mega Stone, and finally adding a few more changes to the appearance of Ash-Greninja and formally announcing it as a Mega Evolution.

The only thing that is stopping this is if the writers are really set on stopping Ash at getting a Mega Evolution for lots of reasons. But hey, since the hype train is on, might as well get into it and share my personal speculations and thoughts about it.

Yeah I could definitely see Ash having some sort of mega stone inside him from birth and Greninja being born with his mega stone inside him too and that they were meant to be or something, like that legend, or as you said, it materializing out of their bond magic. I honestly wouldn't be disappointed with that seeing as I really like Megas and would be okay if they just made more megas and no new mid battle evolution mechanics. It'd be nice too to show that mega evolution in the anime world isn't so black and white like in the games and there are a bunch of different variables and different little tricks and stories behind it.

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
Goodra can rejoin and not be in the movie. A month(5-6 episodes) isnt too far off from the movie. For all we know, the movie could have taken place right after earning the 8th badge, since we see Ash-Greninja without the water veil in the movie. Look at the Sinnoh League. The Zoroark Movie seemed to take place during the 1st Sinnoh League round & 2nd round.... Which isnt possible. And it couldnt have taken place in the last 4 episodes either(Arrival to the island of the kalos league, Buck, Kenny's farawell, Volkner.... So it could have taken place inbetween the grand festival & gym battle. Unless the boat took them somewhere but thats still a few episodes away.

It could have even taken place after the league(5 episodes) so who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.