• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters XY Pokémon Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
All Pokemon capable of Mega Evolving in spite of the fact that he only ever uses one Mega. Seems legit.

His second Pokemon is Metang, which evolves into Metagross and could Mega Evolve. He works for Lysandre, who is obsessed with Mega Evolution and sends Alain out to collect Mega Stones. Alain's whole personal goal is to battle other trainers with Mega Evolutions. It would certainly make sense for him to have other Pokemon capable of Mega Evolving.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
His second Pokemon is Metang, which evolves into Metagross and could Mega Evolve. He works for Lysandre, who is obsessed with Mega Evolution and sends Alain out to collect Mega Stones. Alain's whole personal goal is to battle other trainers with Mega Evolutions. It would certainly make sense for him to have other Pokemon capable of Mega Evolving.

Having pokemon that can isn't the same as using other megas. As far as the anime has shown, we've never seen a trainer with multiple megas in the same battle.

AuraGuardian448

Aura Guardian
(Only because I saw no spoilers yet..)

The desperation for a sixth Pokemon is so bad that anybody would take a Klefki by now.

Speak for yourself, I still do not want.. or.. see him catching a Klefki. I actually contemplated it a few times in the past; it's simply and will always be an out of place capture for Ash, original/permanent opinion.

Pretty sure that Alain is using Mega Charizard X since there are two and it is hard to imagine him ditching the X stone. Trevor is perfect for showing off the Y mega and is likely to do so.

May'be from sources elsewhere, but like I said, off the picture alone (which is all I looked at and know aside from Astrid), there's only one present Charizard in that photo and Alan so happens to be in the same picture with that Charizard... Y. If Ash can ditch the Thunderstone (even though TR technically did) then Alan can ditch the X stone ;^). Oh no, Alan loses the matching color theme with his number one partner! Ok, on a serious note though, I do agree (never disagreed).

It'd obviously also allow the writers to give us that double Charizard showdown between both Megas, even though Trevor doesn't deserve to be the one to do so. I wouldn't even like this concept as they'd have to unrealistically buff Trevor to be decent enough to hold his own against Alan so that we get a good match (a writing decision I don't usually respect).

Xol

Team Plasma Grunt
Klefki seemed like a better fit for James. Acting somewhat similar to the role of Chimecho and Mime Jr.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I don't care if Ash doesn't catch another kalos pokemon, especially when you consider he only caught five in hoenn, and he had more choices to pick from in that region as apposed to now.

AuraGuardian448

Aura Guardian
I don't care if Ash doesn't catch another kalos pokemon, especially when you consider he only caught five in hoenn, and he had more choices to pick from in that region as apposed to now.

Except......... this isn't Hoenn, this is worse than Hoenn. Ash's team is objectively incomplete and non viable, no matter what his 5 Pokemon are. Ash isn't pulling a Hoenn UNTIL HE GETS ONE MORE KALOS MON. Six =/= Five \ (Hoenn) Pikachu, Swellow, Sceptile, Torkoal, Glalie, Corphish (6) =/= (Kalos) Greninja, Talonflame, Hawlucha, Noivern, Pikachu (5). And since we don't know 100% if Goodra will return, we cannot vaguely include him as part of Ash's current Kalos team.

Akashin

Except......... this isn't Hoenn, this is worse than Hoenn. Ash's team is objectively incomplete and non viable, no matter what his 5 Pokemon are. Ash isn't pulling a Hoenn UNTIL HE GETS ONE MORE KALOS MON. Six =/= Five \ (Hoenn) Pikachu, Swellow, Sceptile, Torkoal, Glalie, Corphish (6) =/= (Kalos) Greninja, Talonflame, Hawlucha, Noivern, Pikachu (5). And since we don't know 100% if Goodra will return, we cannot vaguely include him as part of Ash's current Kalos team.

That's nice and all, but he was talking about total number of captures, not team size. Whether Goodra returns or whether Ash uses reserves from Oak, the total Kalos captures is still five, same as Hoenn.

AuraGuardian448

Aura Guardian
That's nice and all, but he was talking about total number of captures, not team size. Whether Goodra returns or whether Ash uses reserves from Oak, the total Kalos captures is still five, same as Hoenn.

No, pretty sure he meant team, as that's what most people ever mean and talk about with the anime. Only the minority (including myself) only actually mean what we technically say when we say "catch". There's no reason why he should be worrying about the irrelevant capacity of captures Ash has had, when what matters is how many he currently has, especially obviously by the fact that people have been in shock and awe (and worrying) about Ash's next capture, since his team is clearly incomplete. It's the same misconception with the way people falsely use the term "6th" capture as "6th" slot (and the other numbers, like calling Treecko Ash's 3rd capture in Hoenn). Only reason it works for this generation is because Goodra was still technically caught regardless if Ash released/left it or not.

Total caught Pokemon ends up being like Hoenn, but final team and current captures don't exceed or match Hoenn. Since what matters most is what Ash currently has and finish the generation with, that has priority over just what he has caught. It doesn't matter how many mons he caught if he doesn't keep them all. Like that's really a perspective that does not matter.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
All Pokemon capable of Mega Evolving in spite of the fact that he only ever uses one Mega. Seems legit.

I'm not a fan of the idea of Alain having those pokemon either, tho my reasoning is that we've seen plenty of stuff like Gengar and Manectric several times already. I want him to own rarely seen pokemon instead.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
The desperation for a sixth Pokemon is so bad that anybody would take a Klefki by now.

I'd never be desperate to see that thing with anyone on the main cast. It's tiny...... and an object.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
In a manner of speaking, Ash actually had gotten his sixth Pokemon quite a while ago. ;)

What people want is six captures EXCLUDING Pikachu since that is what always happens so they think it NEEDS to happen again.

I've been saying forever that Ash already has six pokemon including Goodra but no one listened to me lol.

Phillip12

Philuxio
I'd never be desperate to see that thing with anyone on the main cast. It's tiny...... and an object.

I completely agree, it's a thing, it's tiny and an object.
And this discussion about 6th pokemon should be over since Phantump episode.
We all should know at this point that Ash is going to Kalos league with just 5 pokemon, and surely Goodra will complete for battle 6x6. So it's over, there's no 6th Kalos capture, there's no grass type. XY is doing things by strange ways, putting league first than Zygard arc. I really think the writers did things very fast.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I completely agree, it's a thing, it's tiny and an object.
And this discussion about 6th pokemon should be over since Phantump episode.
We all should know at this point that Ash is going to Kalos league with just 5 pokemon, and surely Goodra will complete for battle 6x6. So it's over, there's no 6th Kalos capture, there's no grass type. XY is doing things by strange ways, putting league first than Zygard arc. I really think the writers did things very fast.

I think there is still room for one more capture. Goodra is not confirmed yet. Plus Ash shouldn't use a pokemon that is going back into the wild straight after the league anyway. Ash needs and deserves a 6th pokemon that will stay at the lab because that counts as being owned.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned

Well I'll agree that it is rather small, but it being based on an object isn't a bad thing cuz I mean Honedge is the same in that regard and yet many people wanted one in the cast. ^^;

I feel like I'm the only one that actually doesn't mind that Ash only has 5 pokemon on his team, not counting the potential Goodra comeback. Unlike past seasons, I just feel that the set up for XY made it so that each pokemon got a chance to shine.

Ash-Greninja is obviously a no brainer but there's not one pokemon that so far are consistent fall guys like Torkoal was in Hoenn or Torterra towards the end of DP. Talonflame got to be a part of 7 gyms out of the 8, evolved against a legendary, and shared the spotlight with Frogadier in the Olympia match. Hawlucha starred in the Valerie match, won some matches against Korinna and Clemont, and was the only one to win against Wulfric in Ash's first try.

The only pokemon that should catch up is Noivern but I think it could do well depending on the league. I mean so far, it's gotten 2 episodes of development as a Noibat (that's a lot more compared to some pokemon, let's be honest here). It also evolved against a legendary and was involved in Ash's most recent rival battles with a win against Doublade. Compared to Gible and Glalie, it's pretty much on par pre-league wise so all it needs are league wins.

Even Goodra who left the team was treated fairly well. It starred against Clemont, had some focus before then with its evolution episodes, and the episode it left was a 2 parter (most pokemon that leave Ash's team just get one). It was shown to watch Serena's performances (when it didn't need to really), it's getting its own episode after it left the team, and if it does come back, it'll probably have league wins to its name as well. Goodra's actually gotten better/more appearances than Palpitoad imo.

There's also the fact that including Goodra, Ash's team sans Pikachu is all at their final stage. A first in pokemon history and something I'm definitely happy about because I actually would like to see Ash with a "fully evolved" team more often.

So yeah, I feel good about this team at this stage more than I have about previous teams in the past. And yes, I do think it's likely that Goodra is coming back. With all the merchandise that continues to pop up and the fact that the writers have been pushing appearances of it despite the fact that it left, makes me think that Goodra's the "6th" that will round out Ash's team for the full battles.

I think there is still room for one more capture. Goodra is not confirmed yet. Plus Ash shouldn't use a pokemon that is going back into the wild straight after the league anyway. Ash needs and deserves a 6th pokemon that will stay at the lab because that counts as being owned.

If Goodra comes back and is used for the league but gets sent back to the swamp, it's not like it won't be any different than Squirtle or Charizard when it was still at the Charicific Valley. Keanan watches over the swamp correct? So if, after Kalos, Ash wants to use Goodra, there's always that possibility (no matter how small) that Ash can call Keanan to get Goodra for a battle. And before you say that Serebii and Bulbapedia say that it has been released, just know that it's not going to be changed until we do see it comeback. So if it comes back for the league, it may be put in that category afterward.

Last edited:

Gillachu

Banned
Klefki seemed like a better fit for James. Acting somewhat similar to the role of Chimecho and Mime Jr.

In other words, as a useless gag mon? Then again, that's basically what it was under Pierre's ownership, except not being remotely funny...

Status
Not open for further replies.