• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

.pocket//TRAINER [R-15] Discussion Thread

Charizard_Man

Ultimate Trainer

..Kanto's Arcanum..

A Journey Roleplay, Rated 15+
This is the Discussion Thread
Registration Thread is >here<

Approved by Kamotz

rikubanner4.png

" ar·ca·num
- n. pl. ar·ca·na (-n) or ar·ca·nums

1. A deep secret; a mystery.
2. often arcana; Specialized knowledge or detail that is mysterious to the average person.
3. A secret essence or remedy; an elixir. "

[kanto]

As in many other regions, pokémontraining is at it's climax. Almost every child dreams of traveling the region and building their very own pokémon team. This journey allows these children to become more able and versed citizens and human beings, parents were encouraged to allow their children to begin as soon as they hit ten years of age. According to the laws passed by the Pokémon League Association-only the most highly accredited professor is given the task of distributing a set number of "starter pokémon" to these children. One, Professor Oak, sought a way to further his research on pokémon. Given his age, the Professor invented a device that would allow him to catalogue data without having to travel the land and strain his body. Of course, that would mean he would have to still capture them to get the information. So he mass produced the device and distributed them to the new trainers. The Pokédex was born, and each of the entrusted professors from the region managed to constantly upgrade and tweak the original design. Soon enough, every child who began their journey was given a starter pokémon and a pokédex.

The problem
with this inflation in young trainers is that there are more interested kids than their are available pokémon and pokédexs. Not to mention, most-if not all-of these eager children who begin their journey never make it past their third gym badge. So the Pokémon League Association is left with wasted money trying to reach out to the children, angry professors who lose their pokémon for nothing, and the value of the pokédex vanishing rapidly. Now that every other child in the region owns a pokédex, they are worthless-and the Professors never even acquire any data because the kids give up so soon.

The tragic solution to these problems happened all too suddenly, one day every pokédex in the city vanished. Then reports came in all over the region, and soon enough the entire world. The pokédex is nothing more than a memory now, the professors of the world can't even engineer it again because the only mind that knows the original blueprints is Professor Oak-or shall i say Dr. Oak. The same day the pokédexs began to vanish, the once highly acclaimed Professor Oak retired out of the blue. In a press conference held later that week, Oak said that he had been preparing for retirement as early as the summer 2009. The added exhaustion due to the constant travel to reach scientific convention in other regions solidified Oak's feelings. His announcement sent shock waves through the Association and appeared on the front pages of newspapers around the world. He was no where to be seen on newspapers for days, overshadowed by the sudden dissapearance of entire species of pokémon. Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Pikachu and Eevee were all reported to either dissapear or run off and never to be seen again. Their evolutions met the same fate, each and every one of them. So by the winter of 2010, the world had lost it's most prestigious professor, a highly useful technological tool, and nineteen species of pokémon. But by the following autumn the Association resumed play of the League as usual and the world soon forgot their tragic losses. Parents, however, were much more strict when it came to letting them travel on their own. So the Association decided to set an age restriction: any one person wishing to participate in the League must first finish school and reach the age of sixteen to obtain their legal pokémon training license. Dr. Oak continues to live in Pallet Town.

[the levels]

There will be set levels. Wild pokémon will appear with their level in accordance to Bulbapedia, but there will be some higher level ones I reward for extremely awesome posts which will manifest itself by it knowing higher level attacks. Pokémon that are caught can learn attacks by leveling up, level ups are rewarded for battles. The better the battle, the more experience your pokémon gains and the faster it learns new attacks. Learned attacks can be written about in several ways, you're pokémon can suddenly execute the attack mid-battle or you may spot it out in the pokédex. Your choice.

Tutor/Egg attacks can also be learned, but you don't just slap a disk on their head and expect them to learn the attack. Actual writing must take place, don't be lazy. A "tutor" must be found and some kind of strange training must take place that teaches the skills your pokémon needs to learn the attack.

TM/HM
s are discs that hold energy the
pokémon absorb by touch when it is activated. The energy allows them to learn the attack. TMs will be found along the journey, while HMs will usually be more rare.

[the players]

Riku "Wiz" Kimura
Charizard_Man

Team:
007.gif

Squirtle #007 []
Level 7
WaterIC_Big.png

OT: Wiz
Nickname: Archie
Met in
Pallet Town at Level 5
Ability: Torrent
Quirky Nature
Attacks:
lvl 1: Tackle
NormalIC_Big.png

lvl 4: Tail Whip
NormalIC_Big.png

lvl 7: Bubble
WaterIC_Big.png

Sigur "Sushi" Gunnarsson
Golden Houou

Team:
004.gif

Charmander #004 []
Level 5
FireIC_Big.png

OT: Sushi
Nickname: Bál
Met in
Pallet Town at Level 5
Ability: Blaze
Bold Nature
Attacks:
lvl 1: Scratch
NormalIC_Big.png

lvl 1: Growl
NormalIC_Big.png

Ren "Fern" Minami
Purplepassion

Team:
025.gif

Pikachu #025 []
Level 5
ElectricIC_Big.png

OT: Fern
Nickname: Mustard
Met in
Pallet Town at Level 5
Ability: Static
Jolly Nature
Attacks:
NormalIC_Big.png

lvl 1: Thundershock
ElectricIC_Big.png

lvl 5: Tail Whip
NormalIC_Big.png

Kaleb "Jabe" Duball
Zalck

Team:
001.gif

Bulbasaur #001 []
Level 5
GrassIC_Big.png
/
PoisonIC_Big.png

OT: Jabe
Nickname: Vinicky
Met in
Pallet Town at Level 5
Ability: Overgrow
Gentle Nature
Attacks:
NormalIC_Big.png

NormalIC_Big.png

Valentine "El" Kiryu
Niihyl

Team:
133.gif

Eevee #133 []
Level 5
NormalIC_Big.png

OT: El
Nickname: Tali
Met in
Pallet Town at Level 5
Ability: Adaptability
Naive Nature
Attacks:
lvl 1: Tail Whip
NormalIC_Big.png

NormalIC_Big.png

lvl 1: Helping Hand
NormalIC_Big.png

Last edited:

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
Um...if the maximum age we can be is 18, why is the minimum age one can recieve a trainers licence 21?

I'm pretty much done with my SU, but I'd rather wait for the deadline before it's judged. In case I decide on other things to add...

GoldenHouou

antagoonist
I think I'd prefer it if you judged us once the Sign Ups for that starter are all up. From what I read, many seem to be content with what they've written right now, and I think it'd be fair to get it done once everyone's posted. Plus, maybe then I don't need to wait until morning. Damn timezones. I mean, I personally don't see the point of fine tuning anyway; why not just do your best with your app the first time around? That eliminates the need to go back and forcibly add stuff later to one up others. But that's just meeee and I'm lazy anyway so meh. Guess I could go over my app for spelling/grammar mistakes. Again.

But anyway, yay, Discussion Thread for... discussity things 8D

Flame Mistress

Another question: which gen standards are we going by here? I, II, III, IV or V?

Also, I second what Mon said. I'd lower the restriction to 16.

Zalck

Back Again...
^I think he was crossing out "sleeping like a rock" and replacing it with "working a ten hour shift". But then again maybe I'm wrong.

Agreeing with what Mon and Flame Mistress said about the age thing.

I don't really care if the judging begins once everyone's done or at the deadline because either way there'll still be judging today.

Anyways, I'm assuming we're all starting in Pallet Town? Do the starters in the RP end up being the last of their kind or something?

DVB

Philosopher Knight
Well, considering the people got sucked into the game. It's their job to make things right again. So, are we waiting to find out who made the cut?

Niihyl

Posthuman
WAAAAIT, I'm not done yet! D:

Give me an extra hour. Two, tops. Like I said in the Sign-Up thread, I pretty much finished yesterday night... err, early morning... I'm just trying to touch everything up and reorganize the somewhat overlong Personality section. You could judge all the starters except Pikachu, since that's one I'm working on.

As for the age thing, we've been sucked into the game, so our avatars may 'officially' be 21. I mean, would you believe Brendan/May/Dawn/Lucas/etc. to all be 10? Also, we're interdimensional travelers, we don't need to worry about silly rules.

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
^ I believe Lucas is 12. That's only because his Pokemon Special counterpart "Diamond" is. xD

I didn't intend for Stella to be Riku's female counterpart, it just happened that way...

They're rich, they spend money like it grows on trees, they're snobs, they're arrogant, if Stella is accepted, I feel bad for the rest of the cast. xD

Last edited:

Niihyl

Posthuman
Pokketo Monsutaa: Jimu Riidaa, huh? Well, I've finally posted my sign-up, so now we can just wait for judging.

I'm actually pretty hyped for this, so I'll be sad if I lose now. After all, this seems to have more game-y aspects, compared to most RPGs here being RPs. Competition gets me hyped for anything, really.

Charizard_Man

Ultimate Trainer
Sorry guys, I know this is really bad but I just realized i have freshman orientation at my new university so I'll be gone from tonight to at least tomorrow evening. I don't even have time to read these posts above me. So sorry again guys, I'll try to get back ASAP with my decisions. Until then, try not to die from the suspense. Oh and Zalck, funny sig :b

Flame Mistress

@Purplepassion: It was more of a joke, really. A fail one, since no one really got it.

And I'm gonna have to work on making my sections longer... ;_; I'm so pathetic compares to others. The only thing I can write lines and lines of is History.

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
More often than not, history is just listing a bunch of events that happened to your character that will usually have no bearing on the RPG at all. If those events had an effect on them, it can be casually mentioned in their personality or mentioned in the RPG itself.

Last edited:

GoldenHouou

antagoonist
@Charizard: Yikes, don't worry 'bout us, school comes first. We'll wait.

@Mon: Well, seems like you edited out the bit about listing every damn detail or whatever, but Imma reply to that anyway 8P I actually don't like listing everything either, despite what it might seem. I don't write nearly every single thing about my character's Personality, for example. I write out what I feel is needed to give an overall picture and basic frames on how they act and whatnot, and then detail it further when posting. Usually characters have enough personality to allow for a nice lengthy SU entry and still allow you to discover/develop things in the actual rp. Because really, no real person could be fully described in just a paragraph or ten either. History... eh, I hate writing history, even though I acknowledge it's an important field because history does affect personality too. I admit to rambling too much with it 8C I don't name every single dog and bird my character comes across, but still.

But really, I wouldn't be too bent on making a SU longer if you really don't feel like you have anything to add. If you feel you've given a good enough picture of your character, good, that's that then. No need to add stuff just as a padding; oftentimes that added stuff ends up being really irrelevant because even you don't really think it's important.

[/SU ramble]

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
@GH: Normally, I'd agree with you.

But when your told that "nothing about your writing stands out" You add as much detail as possible. >_>

I'm probably just overeacting though. Anyway, I'm happy with the way it is now. (Sure the avatar section could be a bit longer, but honestly, there are only so many ways one can describe a simple outfit change...)

Niihyl

Posthuman
Don't worry, we understand real life and its evil tendency to drag you away from the infinitely superior internets. :p

In all seriousness, length isn't everything. It shows dedication and ability to write and describe, but you don't need an entire novel to describe a rounded character. It's why infodumping is discouraged in writing. You don't want to be told an essay's worth of personality traits, they want to be shown them. Characters tend to change and develop during RPs too. I think the sample text is just as important, and even then, more for technique than length. Can you quickly establish your character's personality in writing?