• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Scent-Sation (026)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Pokémon Scent-Sation (026)

Pokémon Scent-sation!

Arriving at Celadon City, Ash is eager to get his 5th badge. But when in a perfume shop, he makes an insulting remark about it. Not knowing that the shop is owned by the Gym Leader, Ash goes to the gym and realise he's been banned. Can Ash get a way to get his badge?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Ash was real desperate in this one. Considering all TR had done to Ash, I'm surprised he trusted them.

Of course the Ashley bit was funny. If only Ash had had the chance to inform Pikachu so he wouldn't blow his cover. Though, that was a real poor quality wig.

I wondering, did anyone else notice that Ash has blonde eyebrows while he had the wig but as soon as it fell apart they were black again.

I'm guessing gyms are run by the government (or the league which is run by the government), so didn't Erika and her underlings break the law by...
1. Using the gym to manufacture perfume to be sold through a private business.
2. From barring Ash (a legally lisenced trainer) from entering public property.

F

Factory Head Noland

In "Showdown In Pewter Gym" Brock said to Ash that a Gym Leader isn't allowed to turn down challengers bit Erika did turn down Ash which IS breaking the rules of the Gym Leader.

B

Blue,Too?

So Erika's a bad gym leader. I knew it!

But this was a very funny episode, with Ash crossdressing and all. But I don't like how Erika just gave Ash the badge.

I give it an 8.7/10

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Actually, it was her underlings who didn't let him in in the first place. Once he made his Challenge she said she couldn't turn him down because of the league rules. So that one falls on the b****es looking after the gym in Erika's abscence.

Though I wonder if Erika had to sign something to allow her to make her perfume in the gym. (Maybe the league gets to skim off some of the profits. Buy perfume, fund the Pokemon league.)

Considering everything TR had at their disposal, don't you think they could have come up with something better than dressing Ash up in drag and blwoing the inards of the gym to kingdom come. Jessie and James are terrorists and Ash is an accomplice to terror.

F

Factory Head Noland

If the Gym hadn't set on fire Ash totally would have won this battle, Charmander was doing so well up until then! He should have taken a chance and used Primape (so what if it would of hit Ash a little bit, lol) .

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Pokemonisgr8 said:
If the Gym hadn't set on fire Ash totally would have won this battle, Charmander was doing so well up until then! He should have taken a chance and used Primape (so what if it would of hit Ash a little bit, lol) .

Charmander was downed by Gloom's Toxic. I think they did that when the writers realized they had made Gloom too uber for Ash to even hope to win. Though, this is Ash's last true pity badge. All the others from that point on he at least had to fight for it.

As for Primeape. I wouldn't trust a gym match to a beserker like Primeape.

I wonder, why didn't the gym have a fire surpression system. Pewter gym had one.

I think Celadon City got severly short changed by the anime. Considering it was a major turning point in the plot of the game, you'd think they would have given it more air time.

The Big Al said:
Charmander was downed by Gloom's Toxic. I think they did that when the writers realized they had made Gloom too uber for Ash to even hope to win. Though, this is Ash's last true pity badge. All the others from that point on he at least had to fight for it.
As for Primeape. I wouldn't trust a gym match to a beserker like Primeape.

I wonder, why didn't the gym have a fire surpression system. Pewter gym had one.

I think Celadon City got severly short changed by the anime. Considering it was a major turning point in the plot of the game, you'd think they would have given it more air time.

Not quite true, here is a list of badges he did not really get the right way.

Boulder (pity)
Cascade would have won, but had not yet
Marsh was going to be a doll for all eternity, but made her laugh
Rainbow saved Gloom, was probably going to lose
Soul/Earth Did not really win the battles, according to the rules that were said at the start.
Plain Did not win in a gym

Congrats Ash, you won Thunder and Volcano the right way (although not on your first try) other than that, Kanto was kinda bad to ya.
So, he did have 3 more pity badges (in the dub at least)

B

Blue,Too?

He did win the Earth Badge fair and square (since in a way, he did defeat the gym leader), it's just that Team Rocket happened to be the gyms leaders at the time.

He lost with 2 of his 3 Pokemon though, according to the rules, both Jessie and Koga beat Ash, but he got the badges anyway.

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
Erika was one of those one-shot characters who didn't have enough done with her. When I brought her back for "Last Exit to Sootopolis" and "The Grass Menagerie", I turned her into a hippie with an overblown sense of unity, a desire for peace among all peoples, and a secret ganja stash hidden in her gym. Now tell me THAT isn't an interesting character development!

Now, concerning this episode, this was one of the worst gym battles Ash ever had. If he had only used his Primeape! I know it would have punched him first, but that's a small price to pay for what undoubtedly would have happened next - I mean, if you were Primeape and you noticed Gloom emitting a stench like that, what do you think you'd do? But no, Jessie and James had to burst in and set the gym on fire, Ash has to almost kill himself again, and he gets another pity badge. Thank God this was the last one for a while (I still say he didn't earn that Plain Badge).

Last edited:

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Erika, a hippie, no, that just doesn't work for me.

Another thing that got was that Gloom stank up the gym while was on fire. That was stupid...
1. The stench is probably flamable and would have blown Gloom, Ash, and the gym to kingdom come.
2. Ash was trying to save its life. Why keep him away while the building is consumed by its natural enemy?

M

Mistystar89

I kinda liked this episode when he dressed up as Ashley XD Wow, it seems that Ash got most of his Kanto badges out of pity. LOL Poor rookie Ash. I give this episode 8.9/10

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
It would have been anti-climatic to have had a sudden death match after that fire. *shrugs*

T

The Super Venonat King V

Charmander was downed by Gloom's Toxic

but, seriously, what is the gloom´s attack?? i´ve heard this is poisonpowder, now toxic, stun spore,...

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
It's toxic because Arbok uses a toxic attack that looks just like it in an episode later in the season.

That's what I think it is. Erika never actually told gloom to use it.

Heracross

Custom User Title
I really loved this episode. Erika was an interesting gym leader, and cute too.;) I thought their gym battle was pretty good, but I also thought Ash should have just gone with Primeape (God knows, the thing could have used some more screen time. =P). They also made it interesting by including the perfume making business along with the gym. It was hilarious when Ash(ley) and TR showed up at the gym and James had to keep hitting his stomach to get Meowth to shut up, and ended up having to shove him back into his shirt. I laughed to hard.XD Brock was also funny, he was in goofy girl mode for almost the entire episode, and seeing him pressing his face against the glass of the perfume store was classic.XD And who could forget Meowth's comment about the cartoonist forgetting to give him a nose? I have a suspicion that was dub added, but I don't care, it was just so great. The ending of this episode was also really good. TR sets the gym on fire and they have to save all of the Pokémon inside, but Erika can't find her Gloom so Ash goes in to save it. The part where he emerges from the gym with Gloom in his arms was really great, and the music playing at that part was really good too, I just can't get emphasize enough how great the music was in these old Kanto episodes.XP Overall, this is still one of my favorite episodes ever, everything about it was perfect. They just don't make 'em (or dub 'em =P) like they used too.

Last edited:

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Heracross said:
I really loved this episode. Erika was an interesting gym leader, and cute too.;) I thought their gym battle was pretty good, but I also thought Ash should have just gone with Primeape (God knows, the thing could have used some more screen time. =P). They also made it interesting by including the perfume making business along with the gym. It was hilarious when Ash(ley) and TR showed up at the gym and James had to keep hitting his stomach to get Meowth to shut up, and ended up having to shove him back into his shirt. I laughed to hard.XD Brock was also funny, he was in goofy girl mode for almost the entire episode, and seeing him pressing his face against the glass of the perfume store was classic.XD And who could forget Meowth's comment about the cartoonist forgetting to give him a nose? I have a suspicion that was dub added, but I don't care, it was just so great. The ending of this episode was also really good. TR sets the gym on fire and they have to save all of the Pokémon inside, but Erika can't find her Gloom so Ash goes in to save it. The part where he emerges from the gym with Gloom in his arms was really great, and the music playing at that part was really good too, I just can't get emphasize enough how great the music was in these old Kanto episodes.XP Overall, this is still one of my favorite episodes ever, everything about it was perfect. They just don't make 'em (or dub 'em =P) like they used too.

Considering the animation, I think Meowth was talking about his nose or lack there of.

Yes, Erika is a cute one. She's the cutests of the gym leaders.
*Gets jumped by a mass of Flannery and Whitney fans*

Heracross

Custom User Title
Yeah, that's true. The animation went with Meowth's comment, so it couldn't have been dub-added. Shoulda thought of that earlier.XP